** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept

Tuesday 16 September 2008Home Draw Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">
Barcelona v Sporting (19:45BST) 1.355.2011.00
Hide « Barcelona v Sporting
oddsformat_lbl.gifuk_off2.gifeu_on2.gifus_off2.gif
opennewwin.gif
SortAvBOn.gifSortFavOff.gif
v6218.gifv6004.gifv6140.gifv6074.gifv1.gifv6169.gifv6133.gifv6171.gifv6006.gifv2.gifv3.gifv6002.gifv10.gifv6018.gifv502.gifv4.gifv6005.gifv401.gifv6138.gif
chart_off.gifBarcelona888">1.31.28NQBetfred">1.281.3Boylesports">1.31.21.31.281.28Paddy Power">1.31.31.251.281.28William Hill">1.31.35Betfair">1.351.23
chart_off.gifDraw888">4.54.54.8Betfred">4.54.5Boylesports">4.55.24.754.54.5Paddy Power">4.3354.754.54.5William Hill">4.25Betfair">54.7
chart_off.gifSporting888 Sport">9109.9Betfred">8.59Boylesports">1110.11088Paddy Power">91011109William Hill">8.510.5Betfair">10.58.6
Best price percentage: 102.4%, bookies only: 105.3%
Expand Related markets:

Basel v Shakhtar (19:45BST) 2.483.303.20
Hide « Basel v Shakhtar
Chelsea v Bordeaux (19:45BST) 1.305.5017.00
Hide « Chelsea v Bordeaux
Marseille v Liverpool (19:45BST) 3.403.252.50
Hide « Marseille v Liverpool
Panathinaikos v Inter (19:45BST) 4.403.252.12
Hide « Panathinaikos v Inter
PSV v Atlético (19:45BST) 2.823.252.87
Hide « PSV v Atlético
Roma v CFR Cluj (19:45BST) 1.286.4013.00
Hide « Roma v CFR Cluj
Werder Bremen v Anorthosis (19:45BST) 1.286.0015.50

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept Marseille Vs Liverpool 25123_hp.jpg Two teams in good form in their respective leagues, with Marseille snatching a draw against Bordeaux and the reds outplaying League and current CL holders,Man U, 2-1. Rafa knows the importance of a good start in this group will be, should learn some lessons from last years group stage, where Liverpool started poorly. However they did tonk Marseille 0-4 last year, with Torres and Gerrard likely to be back to start it bodes well for a Liverpool side full of confidence, Marseille will have the crowd behind them and have some decent players such as Ben Arfa and Valbuena but imo opinion the losses of Samir Nasri and Djibril Cisse maybe too much and I'll be having a decent bet on the reds to put them to the sword on Tuesday night. Pick, Liverpool WIN @ 2.46 (betfai.r)

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept

werder v anorthosis hapeen too know both teams very well first pick: anorthosis not to score @1.60 stanley second pick : number of goals 2-3 @2.10 i predict a 2-0 or 3-0 home win good luck :notworthy
OK it is very good for start mate:cheers

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept as i posted in the other topic, my picks would be: chelsea, roma, barca, real. i'm playing all the home favorites into a parlay to get more value, as its pretty likely they'll all win. i guess its called a quadruple? and, because if you bet them separate, the odds are crap. don't need much rationale behind this one... it is inferior teams playing away to superb teams and i'm not expecting any shockers. also, i see some value in liverpool away. marseille have lost some of their better players so that immediately puts them in a hole. and, not to mention, liverpool played quite well against manchester united and beat them... they simply outplayed them. and, this was without torres, and gerrard only played for 20 mins. so, even if they both miss out on this champs league tie, i'm thinking liverpool can still get it done. how are panathinaikos this year, anyone familiar with them? thought about taking inter for the away win, but i'm not sure how good pana are this year.

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept there is a very strange situation surrounding panathinaikos this year. they bought several players during transfer period, but i rate them all as average players, actually i didnt know any of them before, with the exception of gilberto silva, but i have to mention that arsenal released him for so low as 2m pounds, and of course he was not in wenger's plans even for the third squad of gunners italian football is in big crisis in my eyes after they won the world cup title in 2006, and milan's champions league trophy of the 2006-07 season, everything is going down there dont you see milan? pure disaster, dont you remember inter last year against liverpool?? mourinho is in charge now, and i expect a winning aproaching by inter in all games, especially here against poor panathinaikos INTER AWAY WIN, the best bet of the champions league imo, good luck :notworthy

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept does anyone have any opinions on atletico madrid winning at psv tomorrow night? they're priced at 2.96 on betfair and they have a very good squad with the likes of aguero, forlan and simao, providing a very dangerous, quick attack against a psv team who are a very defensive team.

does anyone have any opinions on atletico madrid winning at psv tomorrow night? they're priced at 2.96 on betfair and they have a very good squad with the likes of aguero' date=' forlan and simao, providing a very dangerous, quick attack against a psv team who are a very defensive team.[/quote'] I am not sure about Atletico will particulary away......At home surelly its possiblle much but away I don't give Spanish team many chances ...draw is possible but atletico's win.....I don't think so ....for myslelf they have shown they away skills at the weekend against Valiadolid when they've lost 2;1 ....:spank

also, i see some value in liverpool away. marseille have lost some of their better players so that immediately puts them in a hole. and, not to mention, liverpool played quite well against manchester united and beat them... they simply outplayed them. and, this was without torres, and gerrard only played for 20 mins. so, even if they both miss out on this champs league tie, i'm thinking liverpool can still get it done
Double check this!!! Marseille did sell good players, but they also bought good ones. I am not discussing Liverpool's chances here, just making a point - Marseille is stronger this season. This game is a no bet to me, this same Marseille got 3 points from Anfield last year, only to lose to Pool at home badly....Tricky, but good luck to all those on the Reds.

Double check this!!! Marseille did sell good players' date=' but they also bought good ones. I am not discussing Liverpool's chances here, just making a point - Marseille is stronger this season. This game is a no bet to me, this same Marseille got 3 points from Anfield last year, only to lose to Pool at home badly....Tricky, but good luck to all those on the Reds.[/quote'] I think that pick - both teams score goals will be profitable for us :clap in Liverpool's match

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept Werder often let silly goals at home in the Cups, and I don't think the Cypriots will hide tomorrow, especially if they are 1-0 down early. The fact that they are in the Groups is great achievement as it is, in every away game they will be out to impress. It is a different thing at home, I see at least one favourite scalped there. Odds for Over are certainly better than odds for HW, and I will take them gladly, max stake. If I am wrong about the guests, than I expect hosts to complete this Over for me. Good luck P.S. On second thought I will lower my stake and do an Over Double with Werder and Roma at tasty 2,49 wit bet365, some reasoning for the game in Roma, odds are higher than those for HW, the Romanians could score if Palermo managed 3...

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept My picks for tomorrow: Roma-Cluj We all know anything can happen in sports and we've all seen many strange upsets happening but I will be very, very, very surprised if Cluj loses by less than 2 goals tomorrow. Roma has many injuries but some of the players are expected back in the team tomorrow (Di Rossi, Vucinic and Francesco Totti from what I read) and they are much more experienced. Cluj had a poor start of the season in Romania and just sacked their coach (Italian Maurizio Trombetta took over). They have no experience at this level at all and I know very well their 6 Portuguese players (all just average players bought from lower 1st division clubs Like Amadora and Paços de Ferreira). My pick: Roma -1.5AH (1.78); Barcelona-Sporting We all know Barça has plenty of World Class players but they do not have a team at the moment. I watched their home game against Santander last weekend and they do not play as a team and the coach is under pressure from the fans. Sporting has basically the same team from last season but improved in defensive terms with the hirings of defender Caneira and midfielder Rochemback. Sporting always plays it tight in these competitions (last season they lost away to both M. United and Roma 2-1 and won in Ukraine against D. Kiev 1-2) and I expect them to give Barça a hard time tomorrow. My only concerns are: Barça has many players who can win the game by themselves (even if there's no team play) and Sporting's keeper Rui Patrício lacks experience. The fact that the odd on Sporting is going down instead of going up (as more bets are surely being placed on Barcelona) is a good indication IMO. Risky one but I'll take the "dog" on this one. My pick: Sporting +1.5AH (1.84); Marseille-Liverpool We all know these teams met last season (both winning the away game) and that the Reds didn't start the CL very well last season. Still, Rafa Benitez seems to be tailored for this type of competition and he knows how to take his team far. I do not expect an easy win for Liverpool like last year's 0-4 but they have superior quality and bench options and I see them taking advantage of the momentum they've got going after that tough win against rivals Man. United over the weekend. My pick: Liverpool -0.25AH (1.96); Good luck! JC

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept Panathanikos to win or draw @ 4/6 Panathanikos are so strong at home, winning the last 9 out of 10 home games, drawing the other, conceding only 4 goals. They beat Sparta Prague in qualifiers who are by no means a weak team. Inter are a different opposition, but Greece is a difficult place to go. Expect a very low scoring game and the unders may be more favourable. Expected result: 0-0 Basel to beat Shakhtar @ 2.48 Basel are extremely strong at home, and although the Swiss league isnt exactly one of the strongest, 10 out of 10 home wins cant be bad, only conceding 2 home goals in there last 8 home league games. They beat Vitoria and Goteborg to get to the group stages, and if they want any chance of progressing this match will be all or nothing. Shakhtar are a decent team but can sometimes struggle on their travels. The odds just look too high for me. The overs could be potential here. Expected result: 2-1 Roma v Cluj - Over 2.5 @ 4/6 Both teams capable of scoring here, and both teams have their own motives. Roma will be keen to do well this year as the final is to be held in their own stadium. For Cluj, this is there first time in the Champions League, and there Italian manager will want them to come out and try and cause a shock. Roma have seen 15 goals in there last 5 games, whereas Cluj have seen 9 in there last 5. Expected result: 3-1 PSV to beat Atletico @ 2.82 PSV are experienced now in the Champions League, they know the ropes and know what they have to do. They're strong at home and have started the season well with 3 wins out of 3. Atletico madrid struggle away from home, and failed to beat Valladoid last weekend in a 2-1 defeat. They secured a decent 4-0 win at home to Shalke in the qualifiers, but away from home they lost 1-0. Afellay anytime scorer at 11/4 looks decent odds. Expected result: 2-0

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept ok finally had a chance to look at things more. nicko, you're right liverpool/marseille will probably be closer than i think. so, i will wait to place my bet on that one and may not bet at all. but, the match i want to focus on is PSV/Atletico. From the stats, it shows that the under is 80% and over 20%, so the under 2.5 looks to be a good choice. PSV has a decent home record last 5 matches, winning 60% of the time. Atletico, on the other hand, have horrible recent away form. they have lost 60% of the time when away last 5 matches. Atletico are in the champs league finally so they could be either really excited or really scared, we don't know. so, just to be safe, i'd say take PSV PK @ 1.77. Or, if you're confident Atletico will continue to be horrible in away matches, take PSV to win.

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept If Liverpool don't turn up properly then I think OM have a chance of beating them. It will be different to last years 0-4 win for the Reds, OM are playing much much better now than they were at that stage last season. If Pool play to their best then they have the superior quality that can get them 3pts, but apart from in the Man U game, they haven't really impressed me much this year. Could be a close game and a good one to watch

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept My picks: Barcelona - Sporting Lisbon. Sporting +1.5 ( 1.85). Barselona this moment play very bad and all portugal teams play in CL good,if Barselona win,it not be easy.. Werder Bremen - Anorthosis. Werder -1.5 ( 1.60) I watch Anorthosis match between Sturm in Austria.Sturm all match pressed Anorthosis and finaly won 4-1.I think Werder will win 2-0,3-1,3-0. Good luck for all and good games ;)

mourinho is in charge now, and i expect a winning aproaching by inter in all games, especially here against poor panathinaikos INTER AWAY WIN, the best bet of the champions league imo,
actually thinking about it going to have a nibble on 0-1 inter. simply cant see any other score.

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept wholeheartedly agree with the sporting +1.5 pick. barcelona looked downright awful against santander and numancia for such a giant. i'm pretty sure sporting won't get thumped there, they have more than decent squad that has nice consistency too, they lost no important players from last year and added helder postiga and rochemback. barcelona winning by one looks worth a small stake too.

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept Champions League - Group D: Marseille vs Liverpool These teams are again in the same group of the Champions League, and they will have something to prove in this match. Marseille was eventually eliminated by Liverpool, losing at home in the final group game and the Frenchmen will look to make things right in this match. The Reds won the big derby with Manchester, while Marseille took a point from Bordeaux, and both teams will go into this game in high spirits. Marseille is still in good form One of the French giants Olympic Marseille looks determined to get back on the road to success this season. After several disappointing seasons in recent years, the arrival of Eric Gerets marked the rise of the club. Last season was just a warm up, and this one looks to become very successful indeed. The team is impressive in Ligue 1, and the recent derby with Bordeaux showed that. The team dominated the proceedings against their title rival and had four one on one chances, but they could only score on one occasion and the game ended 1:1. Gerets couldn’t be happy with the result, but he has to be satisfied with his team’s performances at the start of the season, and he will hope that the players continue playing good football for as long as possible. Gerets decided to rest his captain Loric Cana, and Cabore took his place in midfield, but the captain will be ready for this match. The return of Ben Arfa and Valbuena, who both took part in the match against Bordeaux, will increase the chances for the win against Liverpool. Liverpool won the big derby The fans have waited for this moment for so long, as the players finally managed to come on top of their biggest opponents, and give Rafa Benitez his first victory over Manchester United. That seemed highly unlikely as both Gerrard and Torres didn’t start the game because of injuries. Without two most important players, the chances of winning the game were significantly decreased. However, the team showed real character as they came from a goal behind and won the game thanks to substitute Ryan Babel’s late goal. This win will mean more than just outclassing the biggest rival, as the Reds are enjoying their brightest start in the recent history. They are sitting at the top of the table with Chelsea at even points, and the fans are very happy to see their team effectively in the title race. Benitez will have problems in this game as Gerrard is struggling for fitness, despite playing 20 minutes against Manchester. Torres and Mascherano are also doubtful, and Benitez will have to wait until Tuesday to asses their condition. Betting verdict Both teams had difficult games on Saturday, and both recorded very good results. The teams have sufficient strength in depth and playing two games in just three days should not be too big a problem. Marseille is in a very good form, and they are creating a lot of chances in every game. They were unlucky not to win at Bordeaux, and the team will be eager to get revenge against Liverpool for the last year’s defeat. The Reds are buoyed by the win over their rivals, but with their best players struggling for fitness we advise you to take the risk and bet on the home win. Our tip: Bet 5 on Home win Odds 3 at Bookmaker: Gamebookers [url=http://www.freebetting.net]

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept Marseille - Liverpool: Draw@ 3.25 (skybet) 5/10 Liverpool's roster is better on an indicvidual basis. Marseille, however, have indicated, thus far, that they are improved team relative to last year. They managed a satisfying draw against Bordeaux on Saturday and have shown that they will contend for the French title. Liverpool has not indicated any exceptional play (but still manage to get results) so far with the exception of their big win over Man U. But, Liverpool is still a very well coached team with star players and can win any game. Nevertheless, the group stage of the CL involves a bit of tactical result getting. Group D is very competitive with Liverpool arguably being the favourites to win it. I think both teams will be very careful and not open the game up too much. I think Liverpool would be satisfied with a draw against Marseille. Likewise, Marseille will be ok with the draw against the group's best team. Look for a 0-0 or 1-1 final score which makes the under 2.5 goals also a likely winning bet. Panathinaikos - Inter Milan: Inter Milan Win @ 2.05 (Bet1128) 10/10 Panathinaikos has a new coach and a few new players non of which are well known stars with the exception of Silva who couldn't cut it at Arsenal. Panathinaikos is weak in defense and I think they will play for the draw against Inter who is the best team in the group. The Greek team's objective will be to get into the next round as the second team behind Inter. Hence, the draw will be perfect. However, Mourinho is a great coach who has a tremendous roster of players. I can't see Inter not being able to put at least one goal past a weak Panathinaikos defense no matter how hard they defend.

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept my picks for today´s matches: i´m getting @2,0 for sporting to score one or more goals at my local and i feel free taking it. let me mention three things here - santander 1:1 numancia 0:1 wisla 0:1. at first glance i was about to take sporting +2 EH but with sporting to score i feel more comfi. for psv-atletico match i pick over 2,5 goals. few reasons- eindhoven with typicall dutch offensive football and atletico also capable to score some with forlan simao and aguero on the pitch. tough match this nite gon be pana-inter for sure. stadium packed with 65k supporters and mourinho special one vs ten cate on the other side...these two guys know each other well from cooperating on chelsea´s bench last year. i think it should be a tactical battle, where the quality on inter´s side shall prevail. so i´m going for inter to win by 1 goal difference @3,5 liverpool straight win has already been mentioned here and i´m going with it as well. pool high flying atm, olympique lost nasri who was a very important player for them and cisse who knew how to decide a match, i´m stayin away from pool win by 1 goal, which is also very possible i think but i´m not that sure about it. however price for straight AW is high enough for me. good luck!!!

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept Chelsea -1.5 Chelsea should make light work of a Bordeaux side who are midtable in the French league. While they held Marseille to a draw on the weekend you woould have to go with a rampant Cheslea side that defeated Man City side quite comfortably in the end, as Deco and Lampard controlled the midfield. Cheslea are very solid at the back and i doubt they will concede while they have plenty of attacking talent to win by at least two goals Liverpool Liverpool will be buoyed by their win over Man Utd on the weekend and know that this is a pretty crucial game to win considering that they are in a tough group and can't afford to lose points here. While Gerrard and Torres may play, the players who did play on the weekend that they have the ability to play that high tempo in the game and Marseille will have problems adjusting to it, especially in light that they were outplayed by Bordeaux in their draw on the weekend. Without Nasri and Cisse from last year, they don't have the same quality or depth, and Liverpool should gain three points, just like last year when they beat them 4-0 at Marseille Werder Bremen -2.5 Alot of quality throughout the Bremen side who warmed for this game with a comfortable 3-0 win over Cottbus on the weekend. They have numerous players with CL experience while the minnows from Cyprus may be suffer some stage fright now playing against some ofthe better teams in Europe. Bremen usually play very well at home and they should have Diego and Pizarro causing all sorts of problems for the Amorthosis defence

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept 07/08 Opening Fixtures Marseille 2 - 0 Besiktas Porto 1 - 1 Liverpool Chelsea 1 - 1 Rosenborg Shalke 0 - 2 Valencia Real Madrid 2 - 1 Werder Bremen Olympiacos 1 - 1 Lazio Milan 2 -1 Benfica Shakhtar 2 - 0 Celtic Rangers 2 - 1 Stuttgart Barcelona 3 - 0 Lyon Sporting 0 - 1 Man Utd Roma 2 - 0 Kiev Fenerbache 1 - 0 Inter PSV 2 - 1 CSKA Moskow Arsenal 3 - 0 Sevilla Slavia Prague 2-1 Steaua 06/07 Opening Fixtures Chelsea 2 - 0 Weder Bremen Barcelona 5 - 0 Levski Sofia Sporting 1 - 0 Inter Bayern Munich 4 - 0 Sparta Prague Galatasary 0 - 0 Bordeaux PSV 0 - 0 Liverpool Olympiakos 2 - 4 Valencia Roma 4 - 0 Shakthar Kiev 1 - 4 Steaua Lyon 2 - 0 Real Madrid Man Utd 3 - 2 Celtic Copenhagen 0 - 0 Benfica Porto 0 - 0 CSKA Moskow Hamburg 1 - 2 Arsenal Anderlecht 1 - 1 Lille Ac Milan 3 - 0 AEK Athens Thought thism ay be of interest to some of you. In the 32 games seen there, the away team only won 4 times. A lot of games are low scoring aswell, with not one match last year being over 3.5 goals. An Under 3.5 four-fold of this; PSV - Atletico Madrid Panathanikos v Inter Barca v Lisbon Basel v Shakhtar Pays 2.91, decent odds in my opinion. Add Roma to that and it pays 4.27. Theres various other interesting things to look at from those results.

Re: Champions League: Group Stage Matchday 1 Tue 16th Sept Anyone seen the Racing Post today, what are there tips? Not on the website and local newsagent doesn't have it in. Quick thoughts: PSV at 2.62 is tempting. Atletico have a very good team but as has been noted they often struggle on their travels. PSV are normally pretty solid at home in the CL and have more experience, at the odds i think looks decent value for a home win. In a tough section including Liverpool, PSV could really use 3 points here. Basel at 2.50. Again Shakhtar are a very good side but don't have the best record away in this competition, I think their only win on the road in the Champions League was away to Benfica last season. St Jakobs is a hard place to go and Basel are normally strong at home. Again they will see this is a must win with Barca in the section and 6/4 looks quite big for a home win. Not 100% yet but one to mull over. Roma should be comfortable enough against the Romanians, they are normally formidable at the Olimpico and Chelsea should start with a win against Bordeaux they look the team to beat in Europe this season. Was thinking of perming any 2 from 3 or 3 from 4 of the above.