** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Your thoughts on this hand please

DM99

Just finished a SNG tournament where I ran pretty much card dead. This hand was the hand that crippled me. Any thoughts? Full Tilt Poker Game #8001945028: $2 + $0.25 Sit & Go (60854111), Table 1 - 25/50 - No Limit Hold'em - 13:12:19 ET - 2008/09/09 Seat 1: Valica (2,645) Seat 2: Kauz59 (2,435) Seat 3: diego4you (1,145) Seat 4: cestbonca (3,635) Seat 6: rai91 (1,025) Seat 8: HERO (955) Seat 9: Snuts Vinc (1,660) Valica posts the small blind of 25 Kauz59 posts the big blind of 50 The button is in seat #9 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to HERO [Jd Ah] diego4you calls 50 cestbonca folds rai91 folds HERO raises to 200 Snuts Vinc has 15 seconds left to act Snuts Vinc folds Valica folds Kauz59 folds diego4you calls 150 *** FLOP *** [Jh 5d 7c] diego4you bets 50 HERO raises to 450 diego4you calls 400 *** TURN *** [Jh 5d 7c] [Qc] diego4you bets 495, and is all in HERO folds Uncalled bet of 495 returned to diego4you diego4you mucks diego4you wins the pot (1,375) *** SUMMARY *** Total pot 1,375 | Rake 0 Board: [Jh 5d 7c Qc] Seat 1: Valica (small blind) folded before the Flop Seat 2: Kauz59 (big blind) folded before the Flop Seat 3: diego4you collected (1,375), mucked Seat 4: cestbonca didn't bet (folded) Seat 6: rai91 didn't bet (folded) Seat 8: HERO folded on the Turn Seat 9: Snuts Vinc (button) didn't bet (folded) My first impression that it was a donk thinking he is tricky and slowplaying a monster like AA or KK. He called my big pre-flop raise, he min bet then called my big raise, then insta-shoved on the turn. Thoughts?

Re: Your thoughts on this hand please His min bet on the flop suggests to me he's drawing/looking for cheap cards - almost like a blocking bet. However calling the 400 and then betting all in (for 495) dont make much sense to me and it's difficult to put him on anything with too much confidence. There's only a straight draw on board though - so maybe he's a 5 or a 7 for bottom or middle pair :unsure Given the buy in, $2, and the betting sequence, and getting 3-1 on my money I think I probably call :unsure I read him more as weak than strong :unsure

Re: Your thoughts on this hand please Thoughts are thus. Why are you committing a 20% of your stack with a marginal hand out of position pre flop ? You should fold it here. Blinds are low, your M is over 12, you don't need to get involved. But now you're in this mess, what are you trying to accomplish with the raise on the flop ? take down the pot I assume. By the time he pushes you're far too deep in the pot, it's just $2, I think you need to call.Really at this level he could have anything. In summery, you should never have been in the hand, but now you are, call.

Re: Your thoughts on this hand please I know I needed to call but I was mystified as to what he could be playing. QJ, 55 or 77 could all be possibilities too. In my experience playing at low levels when someone jams the pot they have the nuts or very close to it. I also didnt monitor my bet sizes and think ahead so I was left with an unplayable microstack that caused me to go out when my all-in ran into AA yet again!

Re: Your thoughts on this hand please It doesn't matter what you think he has, it doesn't even matter how he played it. It could've been played many different ways up to the key point, but it would still always be a call, due to your stack. There is more chance of you being in front (or level even) than being able to win the tourn with 305 left. It's has to be. The level is irrelevant too. It doesn't matter if you're behind. Passing is the wrong play I'm afraid.

Re: Your thoughts on this hand please The problem I have at the really low levels is you can never really tell how the others play and therefore you really are playing yours cards only. His range of hands for how he played the hand throught out is monstrous really. However from the way you played it, you should have called. There is nothing really wrong with the raise pre flop, althought is probably too much as a percentage of your stack, however once you get the limp flat call you probably are in trouble, but you manage to probably out flop him by hitting top pair top kicker. Once the flop has landed you have got a pot of 475 and your stack is 755. From here you can play it two ways: - 1) Take it then and there, shove all in being pretty confident your winning and get of a stack of 1230 ... or 2) Mentally say to yourself, right its this hand im doubling up or busting out and if he outdraws me then so be it. I would probably take this oppurtunity to take option b. I would raise to 200 again after his bet. He will never fold to the bet if he re raises I call, if he flat calls then I bet 300 on turn and 255 on river.

Re: Your thoughts on this hand please

Thoughts are thus. Why are you committing a 20% of your stack with a marginal hand out of position pre flop ? You should fold it here. Blinds are low, your M is over 12, you don't need to get involved. But now you're in this mess, what are you trying to accomplish with the raise on the flop ? take down the pot I assume. By the time he pushes you're far too deep in the pot, it's just $2, I think you need to call.Really at this level he could have anything. In summery, you should never have been in the hand, but now you are, call.
I know the hand is not a premium hand but considering only 1 caller is the raise not unreasonable for AJo? Position is good in the cut-off surely? The flop comes down giving him top pair. I would have shoved all-in instead of just raising considering the stack sizes. A flat call pre-flop might have been OK pre-flop but I prefer a raise from the cut-off to cut down the number of opponents and find out where you are. It may just be because I have been hitting a bad streak at the moment (and playing badly :\) but I can't see too much wrong with the play except for the fold????

Re: Your thoughts on this hand please I don't get that play. Raise before the flop is ok with me. You hit this flop hard and I don't know how you justify your fold after putting 3/4 of your stack in. In $2 SnG players are too bad to fold hand like that to them. Just like all people said, I'm sure you had him beat.

Re: Your thoughts on this hand please OK, cheers all. Mathematically it was a simple call and I would have done so. However I followed one of Doyle Brunson's rules which is "follow your first instincts!". I have to say my spidey sense was going off the chart on this hand and I am certain that I would have been beaten if I had called. I just had far too few chips left after to recover. Oh well, I will do better next time.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Your thoughts on this hand please

Just finished a SNG tournament where I ran pretty much card dead. This hand was the hand that crippled me. Any thoughts? Seat 8: HERO (955) Dealt to HERO [Jd Ah] HERO raises to 200 *** FLOP *** [Jh 5d 7c] diego4you bets 50 HERO raises to 450 diego4you calls 400 Thoughts?
No point in betting 450 on the flop and leaving yourself 305, just ship it all in and there is not much point folding the turn either as you are getting 5/6-1 for your cash. Just the way i would play it. Damo