** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Uefa Cup Antepost

I couldnt see a thread like this on here so thought id start one. The Uefa Cup is one of my favourite compeititons, mainly because every season the bookie slips up in a pricing up a game and I can take advantage. There are so many exciting teams in it this year, for example AC Milan, Seville, Valencia, Ajax, Hamburg and Sampdoria. England are represented by Tottenham, Everton, Aston Villa, Man City and Portsmouth who are all capable and could easily progress to the latter stages of the competition with favourable draws. AC Milan are rightly the bookmakers favourites this year, but I only see them as a profitable laying opportunity. Impressive performances should see their price shorten stage by stage but I can see their being more than one team who have the better of them. Valencia should also go well with David Silva and Villa staying on a major positive. Tottenham have strengthened majorly this summer and should be a threat, as should Everton who have left it late to add to last seasons strong squad. If Portsmouth make Fratton Park a fortress when European sides visit and the partnership of Crouch and Defoe begins to fire they could go as far as any and the same with Man City, who have Vincent Kompany, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jo to give them European experience. Aston Villa excite me the most out of the English quintet though and are very backable at the prices. Friedel is a reliable goalkeeper and has experience in Europe from his Blackburn days, as does Carlos Cuellar who has joined from Rangers to partner reliable Martin Laursen in defence. Luke Young and Nicky Shorey are capable full backs and all this adds up to Villa not conceding many goals. The midfield is bursting with talent with James Milner the latest to join alongside Gabby Agbonlahor, Ashley Young, Nigel Reo-Coker, Stilian Petrov and Steve Sidwell. John Carew is more than capable of banging in the goals as the service is sure to be there. Zenit St Petersburg were deserved winners of the trophy last season but were largely unheard of before it started. Benfica and CSKA Moscow could both give punters a run for their money this season. Reccommendations AC Milan - Win 13/2 (Stan James) - Will lay at later stage Aston Villa - Each Way 25/1 (Coral) Man City - Each Way 50/1 (Paddy Power) Feel free to give your opinions on my preview and post your own. Visit http://www.oddschecker.com/football/uefa-cup/win-market for best odds available on this market

Re: Uefa Cup Antepost Sometimes this competition can be tricky betting ante-post, theres 8 teams who drop from the champions league to be a added in december, these usually are big european clubs who only just fall short of qualification for the last 16, particularly groups D, G and H, IMO.

Re: Uefa Cup Antepost Nastro, im quite sure you can get 9/4 on any of the Champions League drop pouts to go on and win it which I think is poor value to be honest. It doesnt happen that often and last season im quite sure all of the Quarter finalists were in the Uefa from the start (at least 6 of them were).

Re: Uefa Cup Antepost good point WHU :ok maybe better value available though in the markets to wait until december before betting, bookies prices will turn dramatically when some of the big names enter the competition. Thing that cracks me up with uefa cup is teams who field slightly weakened teams due to " an important league match the following saturday " which is really only important due to trying to qualify to get into the competition !! :lol

Re: Uefa Cup Antepost Dont go too crazy for Spurs, and im a spurs fan. We will be looking short up front what with Pavlyuchenko being cup tied, also Corluka cup tied. With only Bent and Campbell up front if Bent gets injured/banned i wouldnt be too confident of them scoring many against decent UEFA sides in each round.

Re: Uefa Cup Antepost

Pavlyuchenko cup tied? Why mate' date=' did they play preliminary rounds to qualify or something because im sure they didnt and hes not you know. If so, I agree.[/quote'] Must have played for Spartak vs Kiev, no wonder he got sold as they got trashed. Not sure though if CL preliminary round counts...

Re: Uefa Cup Antepost Valencia at 16/1 is a decent bet, they've got a lot of quality in their team and capable of beating anybody in the competition and i'm sure they'll take the competition seriously if they get to the last 16 in it, doubtful they'll be in the Spanish title race late on in the season.

Re: Uefa Cup Antepost Agree with most of what you say at the top WHUPUNTER. I'd say AC Milan are a definite BACK to LAY, despite the Champions League drop-outs (or is that drop-ins !?). Of the Brits, I'd say Man City could well be the value - especially if they point their cheque-book correctly. It should be their main target, don't think the Prem'll be theirs for a while. As for Villa, I'd be a bit cautious at present. Big fan of Laursen, thought Friedel would be good signing but he's not there yet and the defence is leaking too many goals. Think Shorey/Sidwell bad signings but Cuellar/Milner v.good.

Re: Uefa Cup Antepost I couldn't touch AC Milan and reckon they are false favourites. I just don't rate them at all anymore and I'd much rather be a layer than a backer. As Fernando says though, it is dodgy betting now as everything changes once the 3rd placed Champ League teams drop in.

• 1 month later...

Re: Uefa Cup Antepost Anyone who thinks Villa will win the UEFA Cup would be crazy. Our bench is still short and one injury to Laursen or Davies could crock our defense. We were very fortunate to have Laursen healthy all of last season and I'll be very happy if he is playing each game this season, however, as time progresses the January transfer window will prove to be vital...will Barry still be at the club? Will Randy Lerner decide to splash more cash? Defensively Luke Young and Nick Shorey has been very very mediocore. We'd get killed with teams who play on the wings. One team that should be strongly considered is Udinese. Fantastic start to the season. I have yet to see a single fault in this team in every game they have played. An amazing front line attack played with such a rock of a midfield. Their defense is also fairly impressive. Holding a lot of quicker players at bay.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Uefa Cup Antepost Think Udinese could be worth some consideration @ 33 with Boylesports and Canbet now. Udinese have started the Italian league season very well, sitting 1 point behind current leaders Milan. Udinese beat my team, Spurs, well recently and looked solid at the back and were able to grab a couple of goals themselves. I think this price is one that can potentially be traded on in the future too.

Re: Uefa Cup Antepost The outcome is uncertain, Udinese have no pressure of results, they will probably rest several bets players but their reserves are also good players. Don’t let the size of the club fool you. Friuliani are not so great a name in Italian football but they one of the best Apennines clubs at the moment. It even seems that they are better than Roma even than Fiorentina. Perhaps UEFA Cup is not so important competition for Italian clubs but the reserves are eager to prove their quality from freebetting is that true?then udinese might lose

• 1 month later...