Announcements
*** Ascot Festival Competition: Well done to 1st. RUG, 2nd. Soi Bongkot & 3rd. Jediknight ***
** July Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, =2nd muttley, =2nd kevsul **
** June Naps Competition Result: 1st Kingdom for, 2nd Offramp, 3rd glavintobuy, 4th bymatrix. KO Cup Winner: Kingsom for, Most Winners: Johnrobertson **

Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00

Switzerland vs Czech Republik This is openning game of Euro 2008, plays in Bazel. St-Jakob Park stadium will certainly be full of fans. Portugal are considered to be the biggest favourites in group A, and secon place will be fight of these two. The Czech have excellent tradition on the continent's biggest competition, we know that, have exellent players like Rangers attacker Sionko who scores two goals agains Scotland in friendly game. The Czech are a disciplined squad, and rarely concede goals. Switzerland lost to Germany and England, the biggest problem for Switzerland was efficiency but Frei's recovery was great news for the coach. The standard line-up is already familiar, and perhaps the only dilemma is whether excellent Barnetta will recover from injury and take up his place in front of talented Vonlanthen. Draw is my choice.:hope Last 5 Switzerland matches: 30.05.2008 FRIEND Switzerland-Liechtenstein 3:0 24.05.2008 FRIEND Switzerland-Slovakia 2:0 26.03.2008 FRIEND Switzerland-Germany 0:4 06.02.2008 FRIEND England-Switzerland 2:1 20.11.2007 FRIEND Switzerland-Nigeria 0:1 Last 5 Czech Rep. matches: 30.05.2008 FRIEND Czech Rep. - Scotland 3:1 27.05.2008 FRIEND Czech Rep. - Lithuania 2:0 26.03.2008 FRIEND Denmark - Czech Rep. 1:1 06.02.2008 FRIEND Czech Rep. - Poland 0:2 05.02.2008 FRIEND Greece - Czech Rep. 1:0 :cheers

Re: Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00 Wont have a big bet on the game but I think Czech will shade the game. Switzerland are not that good a side but they were solid at the World Cup so are no pushovers. The Czechs have lost a lot of their better players for the tournament in Nedved and Rosicky but should be able to cope with that. Koller has an impressive goals tally at International and they should shade it.

Re: Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00 Switzerland v Czech rep Hello all, ive been away a while but back for the euros! I think switzerland with their home support and all the excitment surrounding the first game will overcome czech republic here. Czech are missing some key players, particularly rosicky and are nothing like as good as they used to be. I dont feel them topping the group is much of an indication to how good they are to be honest, as germany seemed to roll over to let them win the group. I think with switzerlands proven solid defence, if they can manage to keep koller quiet they should be able to get a goal at the other end. 2 bets for me here... 2pts Switzerland win - 2.95 betfair 1pt Switzerland to win to nil - 4/1 skybet

Re: Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00 Switzerland AH (0) @1.95 Switzerland @2.95 The home team kick starts Euro 2008. The Swiss team has been together for several years now and have been coming together and stringing together results since Euro 2004. A strong backline led by Senderos and Degen. This line should be able to cope with Koller. Without Nedved and Rosicky the 2 best outfield Czech players, the Swiss have the advantage in the midfield with a deep cast. Frei is quality striker who has been consistant for the Swiss. With the home crowd behind them and the Czechs who have regressed as a squad, the Swiss are the play here.

Re: Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00 Just to clarify - can't see where the "2 best outfireld players missing" comes from - Nedved has not played for the national team since the WC (and even then he just returned to the side just before the tournament). So it's Rosicky, one player, albeit very important creatively, missing. A lot depends, imo, if the coach will start Baros as usual or not - if he opts for Sverkos or ANY other forward, there is a good chance the Czechs will score. Otherwise all will rest on Koller as Baros is absolutely out of form and has been since the last EURO. I guess it will be a tight game, the Swiss will be really nervous and this might play into Czech hands. Won't be surprised to see 0-0 @ HT and the whole game decided by a single goal.;)

B8989KE >>> Switzerland vs. Czech Rep

Switzerland v Czech Republic EURO 2008 Basle, June 7 1700 BST

Switzerland (hosts) FIFA Rank 48th Only the third time that Switzerland have made the Euro Championship's and I guess that if they had not been joint hosts there would be a good chance that they would be having the summer off. They have only ever played six games in the finals and are yet to pick up a win, also interesting enough they have played England twice, drawing one and losing one. Also with the team being ranked at 48th in the world there is a good chance they this tournament will no be one of the best for them, even if it is in front of their own fans. The Swiss of course have not played anything other than friendly this season with them being hosts so it will be hard to judge what kind of team they have. They have played three times in 2008 so far and did manage to win last time out near the end of May when they beat Slovakia 2-0 in front of their own fans. Before this saw them lose heavily 4-0 at home to the Germans and England also beat them 2-1 at Wembley. In 2007 they played mostly at home and to be honest didn’t seem to set the world alight with defeats when they played Nigeria (0-1) and the USA by the same score line. However at the start of the football year in 2007 they did have back-to-back wins against Holland and Chile. Czech Republic FIFA Rank 6th The Czech Republic are past winners but that back in 1976 and to be honest they have a decent enough record in the Euro's over the years with them being runners up once back in 96 and also third place twice and even last time out in 2004 they got to the semi finals and were beaten by the winners Greece. 2008 has not been all that nice to them in regards to results with not win recorded in the two games they have played, Drawing away at Denmark and losing away to Poland, but they did win the group overhauling the Germans with a great back to back run of six wins which also included a 3-0 home win over the Germans.

Verdict

First game of any tournament are always hard to predict and over the years you will quite often see a bit of an upset, and this could well be one of those cases and with the host nation being involved it could be even more so. However I'm backing the Czech Republic to make it out of this group and they will make on massive step with three points in this game and despite it being a home game for Switzerland and the opening game of the tournament I think that the Czech Republic will be just too strong and win this game. It won't be easy but a close game with the Czech's coming away with the three points for me.

The Pick :

Czech Republic to win this game

FIXED ODDS BETTING : Pick Czech Republic to win @ 2.50 :gimme:gimme:gimme

Re: B8989KE >>> Switzerland vs. Czech Rep

Switzerland vs Czech Republic UEFA Euro 2008 - Group A Saturday 7th June 2008 - KO 17:00

SWITZERLAND Jakob Kuhn is stepping down as Switzerland coach after UEFA EURO 2008 but he's determined to mark the end of his 7 year reign as national coach with a successful showing - whatever that might mean. Kuhn's Swiss side were unbeaten in the 2006 World Cup, advancing to the knockout stage before being eliminated on penalties by the Ukraine - but I was there that night in Germany and Switzerland played with little enthusiasm to go forward. Now the Swiss seem to be playing a more interesting brand of football - which worked early on - but will they continue to try it - after four losses in a row and a particularly heavy defeat at the hands of Germany? RESULTS IN LAST 9 MONTHS (all friendly) 07.09.2007 Wien N v Chile W 2-1 11.09.2007 Klagenfurt N v Japan L 3-4 13.10.2007 Zürich H v Austria W 3-1 17.10.2007 Basel H v United States L 0-1 20.11.2007 Zürich H v Nigeria L 0-1 06.02.2008 London A v England L 1-2 26.03.2008 Basel H v Germany L 0-4 CZECH REPUBLIC The Czech Republic are once again considered a possible dark horse for a major tournament after qualifying for the Euro 2008 finals. Germany took the headlines in Group D with some big early wins, but it was the Czech Republic who won the section. Much of their strength is based around a defensive set-up that conceded just five goals in qualifying. The four-man defence forms an impenetrable barrier to many teams and in goal they have the formidable Petr Cech. With midfield lynchpin Tomas Rosicky absent with a knee injury, Marek Matejovsky will shore up a midfield that also includes Jaroslav Plasil, defensive midfielder Jan Polak and the creative David Jarolim. RESULTS IN LAST 9 MONTHS 08.09.2007 San Marino A v San Marino W 0-3 ECh(q) 12.09.2007 Czech Rep H v Ireland W 1-0 ECh(q) 17.10.2007 Germany A v Germany W 0-3 ECh(q) 17.11.2007 Czech Rep H v Slovakia W 3-1 ECh(q) 21.11.2007 Cyprus A v Cyprus W 0-2 ECh(q) 06.02.2008 Cyprus N v Poland L 0-2 Friendly 26.03.2008 Denmark A v Denmark D 1-1 Friendly HEAD TO HEAD These two sides last clashed back in 1999 when the Czech Republic cruised to an easy 3-0 win. Overall the Czech Republic / Czechoslovakia hold a 3-1-1 advantage in 5 competitive fixtures. THE VERDICT Switzerland have improved markedly in the last 9 years since the last clash with the Czech Republic, but there is a feeling that the World Cup in 2006 may have been the peak for this side. Home advantage will help the Swiss who are unbeaten in their last 10 competitive fixtures, but a series of recent friendly losses suggest that XXXht be a bit of a false statistic. The Czech side are well ranked, and have scored some impressive results in qualifying, and are my favourites here.

The Pick : Switzerland 1-2 Czech Republic

FIXED ODDS BETTING : I'll take the CZECH REP at a very good price.

HANDICAP BETTING : And at +0 handicap I still fancy the CZECH REP as the best play - despite the home support for the Swiss. :gimme:gimme:gimme

Re: Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00 Czech Republic to win by 1 goal | £5 @ 4.00 Host nations hardly ever do absymally so I can see this one been tight, with perhaps the odd 2nd half goal. In the last 11 opening games of the championships, there have been 8 teams that have won, 7 of these have been by 1 goal. Think the Czechs can just edge this.

Re: Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00 selection- Lay Czech Republic I believe the Czechs are probably the better team however, they are missing there key man in the middle, Rosicky (injured) and of course no longer have Pavel Nedved (retired) in there ranks. Furthermore Koller there big man up front is way past his best and Golden boot winner from 2004 Baros had an awful time with Pompey since signing in January (off the top of my head I think he only scored the one goal). The Czechs are not the fantastic team we remember for previous years. In addition Switzerland are not as bad as many would think, they have some decent players in Frei and yakin and with the home advantage I cant see them losing! Just small stakes for me as i'm waiting till matchday 2 (day 5) after all teams have played once to play serious money! 1pt lay

Re: Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00 Switzerland are being underrated. Barnetta, Behrami and Fernandes are more than capable of creating chances up front, and Frei is more than capable of finishing them off. A young side, but one I feel is on the up, whereas Czechs are the on a downward slope.

Re: Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00 Group Match Bet 1) Switzerland Draw No Bet @ 1.95 5/10 This has all the makings of a tight game with the Swiss not having conceded a goal at the last World Cup, eventually being knocked out on penalties by the Ukraine after a bore 0-0. The Czechs as has been well documented are without key creative threat Rosicky and with Baros out of form they could struggle for goals and Martin Fenin may replace the Pompie striker. At 35, Jan Koller's best days are surely behind him and with home advantage and the potent Alexander Frei up front who has 33 goals in 58 caps I think the Swiss could nick a tight game in front of their fans or at least avoid defeat which would see your stake returned. :ok

Re: Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00 Switzerland vs Czech Republic I'm going with the Draw here. @ 3.15 on Betfair 1-1 @ 6.8 Betfair also. I just feel that with this being the opening game and the Swiss having the support there from being the hosts of the tournament that they will take something from this game but although the Czechs are a spent force in my opinion they still have the ability to score goals so I can see this game being a score draw.

Re: Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00

A tight game but I fancy the Czech Republic to sneak it. Bet. Czech Republic 5pts @ 9/5 Bet365. Rio.
I am right there with you ! Czech Republic to win . At this odds proven team that does well at this level of competition is a GREAT VALUE in my books. Never mind HOME ADVANTAGE the hosts Portugal 2004 couldn't beat Greeks .I consider Portugal is a better team . Would this game been played on the neutral field the odds would no higher 1.70 for Czechs to win.Again at this level of competition i would forget home side advantage.I don't wanna mention fiasco 1996 semis Germany 1-1 (6-5p) England[url=http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/history/season=1996/round=224/match=52916/index.html] Better team Czechs @ 2.80 .Crazy odds !!! GL.

Switzerland are being underrated. Barnetta, Behrami and Fernandes are more than capable of creating chances up front, and Frei is more than capable of finishing them off. A young side, but one I feel is on the up, whereas Czechs are the on a downward slope.
Switzerland is shit !!!If you ask me . My theory, not to fantasize when you bet. You pick the team that had not beat any top rated country's , nor had won anything in the past.National team nor clubs. And today they gonna collect the points. GL.

Think it will be a tight opening game here. Czech Rep. probably the better side, but Switzerland will have the crowd behind them. I am going with - 0-0 HT @ 2.35 First Goal 61-70 minutes @ 14.00
Did you get paid for time of goal? I know it was around 70th minute but didn't notice if it was just over or just under. If so nice start to your betting on the Championships.

Did you get paid for time of goal? I know it was around 70th minute but didn't notice if it was just over or just under. If so nice start to your betting on the Championships.
He should get it, the goal time was bang on 70' I think.

Yeah, they paid it, thanks mate. Very nice start to Euro 2008. ;) Well done to all other winning bets. :ok

Czech Republic to win by 1 goal | £5 @ 4.00 Host nations hardly ever do absymally so I can see this one been tight, with perhaps the odd 2nd half goal. In the last 11 opening games of the championships, there have been 8 teams that have won, 7 of these have been by 1 goal. Think the Czechs can just edge this.
:ok

Re: Switzerland vs Czech Rep., 07.06.2008 at 18:00 Bit dissapointed, Switzerland were by far the better side and the Czechs looked very one dimensional to me. I'll be backing against them from here on in. The Swiss are going to struggle aswell now especially after losing Frei.