** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

bets for euro 2008

Re: bets for euro 2008 Me and my manager went through some of the specials that we have at Coral last night. One of them really makes appeal is Euro 2008 - Total Penalties Excluding Shootouts. Over 8.5 @ 5/6 whats your thoughts on this guys? ( 9 pens through out the whole tourney )

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: bets for euro 2008 Iv'e been looking into coral aswell. Team to concede most goals hmm. Austria at 7/1 looks tasty but they i'm sure they will only play 3 matches so that makes me look for a team that could well be playing 5 or 6 and concede along the way and why am i getting the feeling portugal at 14/1. What your thoughts on this?

Re: bets for euro 2008 Also at 12/1 Croatia (Each Way 1/2 The Odds A Place 1-2) are a big price considering they are unbeaten bar 1 game in 11 matches.

Up until the end of qualifying for UEFA EURO 2008™, Croatia had appeared in the UEFA European Championship on four occasions, and had played 47 matches. In that time, they had won 28, drawn eleven and lost eight with 86 goals scored and 38 conceded

Re: bets for euro 2008

Me and my manager went through some of the specials that we have at Coral last night. One of them really makes appeal is Euro 2008 - Total Penalties Excluding Shootouts. Over 8.5 @ 5/6 whats your thoughts on this guys? ( 9 pens through out the whole tourney )
How does that compare against the number of penalties in previous tournaments? Not sure where you can get the stats for that. I would think there would be at least 5, as think there will be at least 1 in each of the 4 groups and an extra one in there somewhere. I would say 7 penalties throughout the whole tournament excluding penalties but that's just my prediction.

How does that compare against the number of penalties in previous tournaments? Not sure where you can get the stats for that. I would think there would be at least 5' date=' as think there will be at least 1 in each of the 4 groups and an extra one in there somewhere. I would say 7 penalties throughout the whole tournament excluding penalties but that's just my prediction.[/quote'] Not sure regarding the figures and no doubt the stat guys at Coral have done their job but it does seem a low count.

What about under 9 red cards 8/11. No way will there will be that many in 31 games surely :unsure
Only 6 last time:ok Facts and figures from Euro 2004 Last updated at 2200 BST Sunday, 4 July 2004 PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS Total number of matches played so far 31 Games ending in a conclusive result at 90 mins 21 % of games ending in a conclusive result at 90 mins 68% Total number of drawn matches at 90 mins 10 % of total number of drawn matches at 90 mins 32% Number of games decided by the silver goal 1 % of knock out games decided by the silver goal 14.2% Number of games decided by penalty shoot out 2 % of knock out gms decided by penalty shoot out 28.6% Total number of goals 77 Goals to match ratio 2.48 Total number of penalties awarded 8 Total number of penalties converted 7 Total number of own goals 2 Total number of red cards 6 Red cards to games ratio 0.19 Total number of yellow cards 156 Yellow cards to games ratio 5.04 and 8 penalties :drums probably why they came up with 8.5

Croatia to beat Austria is begging to be backed at Coral's even money.
Id agree with that but becareful of host nations, the 12th man and all that. But Yeah Id belooking at Croatia to do well so even's to beat Austria :ok

Re: bets for euro 2008 7/8 June Czech to beat Switzerland Portugal to beat Turkey Germany to beat Poland Croatia to beat Austria 9/10 June Italy to beat Holland Spain to beat Russia 12/13 June Germany to beat Croatia France-Holland draw Italy to beat Romania 15/16 June Portugal to beat Switz Czech to beat Turkey Germany to beat Austria Croatia to beat Poland 17/18 June Holland to beat Romania Italy-France draw Spain to beat Greece Anyone disagree with the accas/doubles/trebles above that I am considering?

anyone got a bet on Czech Rep to beat Switzerland in the first game ? ?
Nope, think that game is going to end up a low scoring draw myself. I don't think either team will want to give anything away, especially the Swiss. There is no way the Swiss will want to be the first team to lose in their backyard during the European Championships. Switzerland have a history of not conceding many goals either in major tournaments and if Czech Republic play Koller then their direct football could well play in to the hands of Switzerland in that their play will become predictable. I might be wrong, naturally, but that's my thinking about the game and I would be more likely to take the 1.6 available for under 2.5 goals.

Re: bets for euro 2008 Bets so far: Ballack top GS 50's top prem GS 14's Germany winners 4's All Skybet Romania to beat France 7/2, Sweden to beat Greece 13/8 as a double. Lads Germany, Spaiin, Portugal and Italy to all qualify 2/1 Lads GS Match betting Ballack to beat v Persie 11/5 Fabregas to beat Malouda 100/30 Lads I think Romania are almost forgotten about in this group but are no mugs and France have history of starting slowly, a value bet imo. Greece have been poor recently also and though a tight game fancy Sweden and more mportantly Ibrahimovic to have to much for them. Not a big fan of Acca's but i can't see any of these four not qualifying, my biggest bet of the tourney so far. Finally Ballack, who i think will have a big tournament is value and can see him having a stormer and Fabregas sneaking at least one and Malouda not inspiring confidence in me in what i've seen.

Re: bets for euro 2008 I'll get my ante post bets up now - reasoning underneath. 2pts e/w - France to win euro 2008 - 9/1 skybet 1pt e/w - Croatia to win euro 2008 - 14/1 skybet 0.5pts e/w - Switzerland to win euro 2008 - 25/1 skybet 0.5pts - Greece to finish runners up - 25/1 betfair 1pt- Croatia to win/Petric top scorer - 150/1 bet365 1pt - France to win/Henry top scorer - 66/1 bet365 1pt - Romania to qualify - 7/2 skybet 1pt - Holland to finish bottom - 100/30 betfair 1.5pts - Portugal and Switzerland to qualify - 14/5 betfair 1pt - Germany and Poland to qualify - 3/1 betfair 2pts treble - Austria to lose every game - Pays about 7/1 skybet Reasonings.....basically, i think france are the sort of team who can scrape through and nobody will want to face them if they do get through. I think henry can spearhead their attack well and if france do win it, it is likely he will be top scorer as he has something to prove after being a bit part player for barca this season. Dont forget henry and the france team as a whole have been there done that so if they do get to the latter stages, expect them to do well and i believe 9/1 is asking to be took. Croatia are a team i was impressed with against england (i know were not great but they totally outclassed us twice and not many teams do that no matter whos in charge) and i feel they are the sort of team who can get a goal out of nothing. If they start the tournament well i think they might just get better and better and if they play to their full potential will take some beating and at 14/1 this represents value IMO. Again, ive gone for petric because if they win it hes likely to be the top scorer for them. Ive also gone for small stakes on switzerland at 25/1 because home advantage normally means a team does well, and lets be fair its not going to be austria! They are to put it plainly, awful - hence the treble on them to lose every game. there is normally a shock team in these sort of tournaments and i think switzerland or greece could be the team to do this. Ive just had a speculative but small punt on greece to come runners up with this in mind. In the group of death i think romania can cause a stir and qualify so 7/2 is worth a dabble i reckon. Romania qualified with ease and took 4 points of holland in these qualifiers, and italy are missing cannavaro (i think?) Holland are nothing like they used to be and Van Basten is pretty inept i think and bringing back van bommel etc reeks of desperation on his part. Holland are never renowned for strong team spirit and the fact that the inexperienced van basten is away to ajax after this isnt exactly going to make this poor team spirit any stronger is it? I think holland will come rock bottom so ive took odds of better than 3/1 here, and although i do think italy will go through with france, i expect romania to be there or there abouts so ive snapped up the 7/2 on offer. Good luck wirh all bets everyone, especially if youve got similar ones to me! Edit: 16pts staked

Re: bets for euro 2008 Cant find any thread with the fixtures in yet so here goes..... 2pts Switzerland v Czech Rep - 2.95 betfair 1pt Switzerland to win to nil - 4/1 skybet Ive done a write up elsewhere on this game, basically the points i made were the czechs arent the team they used to be, rosicky and others i think missing. Home advantage for switzerland and if they keep koller quiet i cant see czech rep scoring, and at the other end i think the passionate home crowd can spur the swiss to a win. think nearly 2/1 is fantastic value for what is basically a home game.

Re: bets for euro 2008 3pts Croatia v Austria - 1.95 betfair Nothing much to add to my above write up on croatia here, and if they are going to qualify this is a must win game. Austria are only here to make up the numbers and to be honest id label them as minnows and i feel this tournament could be embarrassing for them. Even thier own fans think so. This could be a 2 or 3 nil game IMO and at just below evens i feel croatia are a superb bet

Re: bets for euro 2008 Im going to put all my outright bets in here and then move them to the various threads (60 pts staked). Germany 4/1 10 pts e.w Ticks a lot of boxes for me. Draw being one of them, certainly i expect them to overcome their weak group with croatia likely to be the only major 'threat.' Looking at their likely q/f and semi opposition I doubt they will be too concerned, Portugal being the most likely but I reckon germany would prefer them to the likes of Iatly, France and Spain who they have all avoided until the final which makes their chances of reaching the final strong for me. Anyaway I still have the odd doubt about portugal, their lack of a quality striker would be one concern, i cant believe Nuno Gomes is still going and also I think big Phil is a bit too defensive in crucial situations, you cant rely on penalty shootouts all the time. So the germans look the pick in the top half. They were impressive at the last world cup and have strong offensive players such as Klose, Gomez (potential star), Ballack often shines in these events. Defensively they might not be as strong as in their prime but even so the have good modern and attacking full backs such as Lahm and Metzelder and Mertsacker can do a job. Even having Lehmann in goal cant put me off. Gomez top scorer 18/1 2.5 pts e.w Gomez has developed a reputation as one of the better strikers around and he has proved that with lots of goals in the Bundesliga of late and a decent start to his Germany career. He has been linked with some of the big clubs around Europe and can show his talents in this championship. Not totally certian to start but with Podolski's lack of matches for Bayern that could advance the Stuttgart mans cause to partner Klose. With Germany's favourable draw, they should be around in the later stages with advances his cause and the Austrians in particular could be the whipping boys to get soem goals. Toni top scorer 16/1 2.5 pts e.w Proved himself in Serie A before moving to Bayern last year and had some success last year being the top scorer in Germany. Now is the main man for Italy up front and lots of Italy's play is centered around Toni whcih often leads to him scoring a lot of their goals. Of course there is the danger that they dont qualify (which reduces chance of gaols) from a tough looking group but personally I think they can make it through especially with the Dutch looking set to disappoint for me from the so called 'big 3' in that group. Switzerland to qualify 11/10 7.5 pts portugal are the favs for this group and I have no problem with that and despite my concern over their lack of a quality striker for today, Nuno gomes is too old for me, they should get through. that would leave one from three between the Swiss, Czechs and Turkey and whilst the bookies may favour the Czechs, Im not coninvced by their ageing team and the loss of rosicky could be crucial. Turkey remain unpredictable and given how a home team normally does pretty well and that i cant see that being Austria, Switzerland can just get through. They were miserly at the last world cup and I expect they will be tough to beat again, Behrami adds some wuality down the right side and Frei might just get enough goals to see the Swiss sneak through. Germany first Croatia second 7/4 7.5 pts Germany as I have already highlighted look strong and I believe Croatia are clear of the rest to join them. indeed some might say they are decent things to upset Germany but Im not too sure about that and remember they are missing one of their main men in eduardo who they will miss depite Modric's brilliance ;) Even if Germany dont beat Croatia they play Austria last so the possibility of a thrashing if required to get them through on top should be a benefit. Austria despite being at home look lacking and their odds indicate that and Poland rarely get round one round at a major championships in recent years. Germany to beat Austria for me. Holland not to qualify 10/11 7.5 pts Tough tough group. The so called big three and then there is the somewhat underestimated by some Romania who the Dutch failed to beat and lost to once in qualifying. Holland look to have decent attacking players as normal but defensively they do not look that secure and at this level that could be very costly. Melchiot, Ooijer, Bouma and boulahrouz all feature in their squad and all have been exposed at premiership level so what are Italy and France going to do to them? They limbered through qualifying and only just got past the Berbatov inspired Bulgaria, what a shame he is not here to grace this championship:(. Tough ask for the Dutch and I they normally start arguing with each other shortly if things dont pan out. Russia to qualify 5/4 7.5 pts Hiddink does so well with these smaller nations (if Russia are small that is but in footballing terms they have been for most of my lifetime.) He often gets them through their qualification groups with Australia and South Korea recent examples. Spain are the clear favs in this group and even though they have a history of blowing it, if they dont qualify that would be a surprise. So it could be between Sweden, Greece and Russia and i favour Hiddink's me. In Arahsvin they have one of the best playmakers around who can score goals too, he inspired Zenit to the UEFA Cup and could inspire Russia, arguably the second best playmaker in europe ;) Sweden are getting on a bit and a bit too relaint on Zlatan who can be unpredictable, whilst Greece who qualified well look to have a toughish task for a squad that is not getting any younger.

Re: bets for euro 2008 I heard somewhere that Arshavin is suspended for the first 2 games. Could be wrong mate but if he is i would stay well clear of russia because everything they do goes through him. Great player. I personally think russia will come bottom as they are poor travellers which their away trips in qualifying proved, so with this is mind, even with arshavin i am staying clear of them

I heard somewhere that Arshavin is suspended for the first 2 games. Could be wrong mate but if he is i would stay well clear of russia because everything they do goes through him. Great player. I personally think russia will come bottom as they are poor travellers which their away trips in qualifying proved' date=' so with this is mind, even with arshavin i am staying clear of them[/quote'] Yeah he is out of the first two games but it is available for the potentially crucial last game against Sweden.

Re: bets for euro 2008 My bets are as follows with some left over money i had in my betfair account! David Villa Top Scorer (small reasoning in the 'Top Scorer' thread if your interested) @ 20/1 Group D to have the most goals scored @ 4.9 Russia to reach the final @ 15 Group Winner Trebles - Portugal, Germany and Spain @ 6.2 Top Scorer EW (Top 3) Pavel Pogrebnyak @ 24 Game 1 trebles - Croatia, Germany and Portugal to beat their opposition @ 5.1 GL all in your bets!

Re: bets for euro 2008 Borrowing some good spots from this thread for my bets for the tournie All at Corals: Portugal, Germany and Spain to Qualify @1.96 Country to concede most goals - Austria @8.0 Tournament red cards - under 8.5 @ 1.727 Also taken Boyd's bet of group points for Portugal ,Austria and Spain in trebles. An excellent combination of 4 bets generating very decent odds. Enjoy the tournie all. :D