** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April My bets for tomorrow's game: Manchester United-Barcelona A lot could be said about this game and both teams but I'll keep it short and simple. MU has 11 straight wins in their last 11 homes games in the Champions League and "home boy" Cristiano Ronaldo will be looking at taking his team to win the CL this season in order to finally get the "Best Player of the World" award that he deserves. After missig a penalty in the Barcelona game, he'll be looking at making a positive contribution tomorrow and I see him as very likley to also score. My bets: home win and Cristiano Ronaldo to score anytime. Good luck! JC

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April after the last game ronaldo promised to score at old trafford to make up for the penalty miss and the boy hasnt let me down all season(well apart from last week) but im confident he will prove any doubters wrong and that he truly is the best player in the world so first bet 10 points ronaldo to score at any time now back to the match itself, on big european nights like this against the big teams in europe, united always seem to put on a show and having seen the barca defence a few times this season, they are defo a lot worse than the 3 english teams so united attack will have them all over the show, and if vidic is fit and well to play i think united will keep a clean sheet so im gonna have 2 point on ronaldo first goal and man utd 2-0, because i think if utd go 2 nil up then they will start to mess barca about with keep ball and wee tricks etc but also gonna have a saver incase vidic doesnt make it and have 2 points on ronaldo first goal and utd to win 3-1

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April

My bets for tomorrow's game: Manchester United-Barcelona A lot could be said about this game and both teams but I'll keep it short and simple. MU has 11 straight wins in their last 11 homes games in the Champions League and "home boy" Cristiano Ronaldo will be looking at taking his team to win the CL this season in order to finally get the "Best Player of the World" award that he deserves. After missig a penalty in the Barcelona game, he'll be looking at making a positive contribution tomorrow and I see him as very likley to also score. My bets: home win and Cristiano Ronaldo to score anytime. Good luck! JC
JC I NEVER READ UR POST TILL AFTER I POSTED MINE:cheers

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April Manchester United - Barcelona (29 April 2008) Pick: Barcelona Win @ 4.5 (Centerbet) 10/10 Man U appears to be a strong favourite in this CL match and they should be favorites, BUT not with such short odds IMO. The only advantage really is the home field. Barcelona certainly has the class of players to defeat any team anywhere, anytime... Barcelona only has the CL to play for and I think we will see 100% from them. Manchester will also give it 100%, but they have a couple of question marks about Rooney and Vidic playing. More importantly. Man U's loss to Chelsea on Saturday has created a cloud of pressure on the Reds which may adversely affect them. In the final anaysis, although Man U. is certainly in a position to take the game, from a bettors point of view, Barcelona at odds over 4 is too good to pass up.

Manchester United - Barcelona (29 April 2008) Pick: Barcelona Win @ 4.5 (Centerbet) 10/10 Man U appears to be a strong favourite in this CL match and they should be favorites, BUT not with such short odds IMO. The only advantage really is the home field. Barcelona certainly has the class of players to defeat any team anywhere, anytime... Barcelona only has the CL to play for and I think we will see 100% from them. Manchester will also give it 100%, but they have a couple of question marks about Rooney and Vidic playing. More importantly. Man U's loss to Chelsea on Saturday has created a cloud of pressure on the Reds which may adversely affect them. In the final anaysis, although Man U. is certainly in a position to take the game, from a bettors point of view, Barcelona at odds over 4 is too good to pass up.
What you are saying makes sense in view of the odds, but if you are leaning towards Barca for one or another reason, then a safer bet should be Barca to qualify or Over. In the first case you would cover any draw plus Barca winning on penalties. In the second case ( if you think Barca will win ) then Over 2,5 looks better as your choice otherwise suggests Barca will keep a clean net AND win - sounds a bit brave to me. With OVER you are covered if Barca wins and Man Utd score plus the other way around, PLUS a convincing win by any of the teams. Good luck with your choice, I will wait for further opinions. First I thought Over 2,5 goals is good choice here, I could imagine the first leg would have gone Over too had Ronaldo scored that penalty. No matter what Managers say though imo both teams will start very carefully. I guess somehow in the first minutes United will be under heavier pressure... ATM I am leaning toward CS 2-1 and Man Utd winning from behind....

What you are saying makes sense in view of the odds, but if you are leaning towards Barca for one or another reason, then a safer bet should be Barca to qualify or Over. In the first case you would cover any draw plus Barca winning on penalties. In the second case ( if you think Barca will win ) then Over 2,5 looks better as your choice otherwise suggests Barca will keep a clean net AND win - sounds a bit brave to me. With OVER you are covered if Barca wins and Man Utd score plus the other way around, PLUS a convincing win by any of the teams. Good luck with your choice, I will wait for further opinions. First I thought Over 2,5 goals is good choice here, I could imagine the first leg would have gone Over too had Ronaldo scored that penalty. No matter what Managers say though imo both teams will start very carefully. I guess somehow in the first minutes United will be under heavier pressure... ATM I am leaning toward CS 2-1 and Man Utd winning from behind....
Yes...thanks! Your observation is very true. Barca will advance with a draw that includes goals. So, I probably will place a bet on them qualifying as a cover. However, I just couldn't keep away from 4.50 on Barca! In my mind, these two teams are evenly matched at this level and such odds are out of this world. The over 2.5 I am not sure about... I actually think both teams will play tight and try to take it by 1-0. Anyway, good luck on your bets...

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April Over 3.5 With the first match at 0-0 this sets up a great showdown here. Barcelona were the better side in the first leg but Ma UTd at home will be hard to beat. What the first leg did show, that even though both sides didn't concede they still have enough players on each side who can create and score the goals. Barcelona's defence has been patchy this year despite the money spent to reinforce it over the years. You would think that Man Utd would be able to exploit it while for Man Utd, if their best defender in Vidic is out, then Ferdinand and co will not be so fortunate the second time around. Thi game should go back and forth, since away goals count double in the event of a draw, then if Barca's score look for Man Utd to really open up as well as vice versa. I can't see another goalless draw here

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April Champions League semi Soccer - Manchester United/Barcelona - total Over 2 (-128) for the regulation time held on Apr 29 at 1:45pm [pending] People aren't pulling the trigger on this one because of the 0-0 in the first leg, and also it is a fact that when good teams clash tactics often rule the day. However, let's not forget that Man U came down and immediately attacked in that game, and Ronaldo missed the third-minute penalty...and then tactics did indeed hold sway. Looking at these two evenly matched teams, you see how much both need to win from difficult circumstances. Barcelona is losing road game after road game with poor defensive displays and many goals on both sides, and this represents their only chance for glory this season. Man U gave up their big lead in the Premiership, and losing to Chelsea at the weekend put them even...Then look at the situation here, with Barcelona advancing with any draw except 0-0. One score, and there will be one, must lead to another score. If Barca score, Man U need to score twice...if Man U score, Barca need to equalize, and Man U I think will recognize just how suicidal it can be to try only to hold a 1-0 lead....so I will root for Barca to score first.

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April tough tough game to call, could really go either way, I believe more than ever that the first goal will be the key. as its so tight i'm going to take a chance on barca, odds are overpriced imo. I'm also going to LAY Ronaldo to score at anytime, he very rarely shows up in the big matches and i'm hoping that will be the case tonight! Selections 3 pts Barca 3 pts lay Ronaldo to score at anytime

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April i think il be going with a draw for this one , i can see it being a repeat of last weeks game , 0-0 with it going all the way , Man utd going through in the end though :) any opinions/suggestions ?

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April Barca to qualify 5/4 Messi, Xavi and Yaya will love the open spaces of OT tonight IMO. Messi gave Evra (who himself is a world class LB) water in the brain last week in the Nou Camp and he'll be even sharper tonight. United looked very nervous after the missed pen last week, Scholes was really the only one who kept the ball for any length of time and despite being at home tonight, I think they'll be equally as nervous after their late defeat on Saturday. The onus is on United to attack and that will play into the hands of a side who are technically superior if not a little lightweight at the back. For that reason the overs look a good bet as well but I see Barca qualifying and I wouldnt be surprised if it's a high scoring draw like 2-2.

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April well , u all think i,m crazy but, here is the way things goes: if u can remember the final between brazil vs arg ( south - america cup last year) the whole betting world but 99% on arg. the coach of arg. never move 1 inch from his chair at that game . ( u know why ???) is all about the money. now we have the same thing with man utd vs barca. every body is on man utd.by the end of the game 2 day , the money goes 2 barca. that,s the way it works( hope that i,m wrong)

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April in response to dj purry it could be that or it could just be that in a football match one side can win and so can the other or it can be drawn. mad I know but all results are possible, so maybe just maybe brazil beat argentina cos they played better and maybe if barca win tonight it's cos they played better. worth a thought.

Barca to qualify 5/4 Messi, Xavi and Yaya will love the open spaces of OT tonight IMO. Messi gave Evra (who himself is a world class LB) water in the brain last week in the Nou Camp and he'll be even sharper tonight. United looked very nervous after the missed pen last week, Scholes was really the only one who kept the ball for any length of time and despite being at home tonight, I think they'll be equally as nervous after their late defeat on Saturday. The onus is on United to attack and that will play into the hands of a side who are technically superior if not a little lightweight at the back. For that reason the overs look a good bet as well but I see Barca qualifying and I wouldnt be surprised if it's a high scoring draw like 2-2.
You say that Messi , Xavi and Yaya will love the open spaces of OT tonight but they never scored in the nou camp last week even though that pitch is 115 yards long and 74 yards wide which is 116 yards long and 76 yards wide , i dont see this as being a major factor tonight , a couple of yards isnt going to make that much of a difference IMO :) Also its not as if Man utd cant pass a ball lol

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April A lot of people seem to be writing of Barca too easily here for me. In their front line of Messi, Eto'o and Henry, they have an attack where any of them would walk into the Utd team. Could be a cagey affair, however, an early goal either way will open this up. If Barca score first, Utd will need 2 to win. If Utd score first, one goal from Barca will win it for them so Utd will need a second. Based on that I'm going small stakes on the over 2.5 and lets hope for an entertaining the line up promises! GL all

well ' date=' u all think i,m crazy but, here is the way things goes: if u can remember the final between brazil vs arg ( south - america cup last year) the whole betting world but 99% on arg. the coach of arg. never move 1 inch from his chair at that game . ( u know why ???) is all about the money. now we have the same thing with man utd vs barca. every body is on man utd.by the end of the game 2 day , the money goes 2 barca. that,s the way it works( hope that i,m wrong)[/quote'] I certainly think that this goes on in football around the world. In a game like this though, I doubt it.

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April I've gone for a buy on the spreads on the bookings at 49 on the hope that the last 30 mins will be fraught with tension and someone will lose thier head..... & Scholes should guarantee at least one booking with his tackling :lol

Re: Man U v Barcelona 2nd leg (0-0) 29 April No Rooney or Vidic: Man Utd: Van der Sar, Evra, Hargreaves, Ferdinand, Brown, Ronaldo, Park, Carrick, Nani, Scholes, Tevez. Subs: Kuszczak, Anderson, Giggs, O'Shea, Fletcher, Silvestre, Welbeck. Barcelona: Valdes, Milito, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o, Zambrotta, Messi, Deco, Abidal, Toure. Subs: Pinto, Gudjohnsen, Henry, Edmilson, Sylvinho, Thuram, Bojan. (From the BBC website)

and the ref has sent Scholes & Keane off in previous games in the past four years so he's not afraid to dish out the cards....
Games refereed by Herbert Fandel in 2007/2008 Yellows Reds
European Championships Finland 0 - 0 Poland 12-09-2007 3 0
European Cup Sporting Lisbon 0 - 1 Man Utd 19-09-2007 3 0
European Cup Steaua 0 - 2 Seville 07-11-2007 4 0
European Cup Benfica 1 - 1 Milan 28-11-2007 4 0
European Cup Roma 2 - 1 Real Madrid 19-02-2008 6 0
European Cup Chelsea 2 - 0 Fenerbahce 08-04-2008 2 0
Games: 6 Yellow Cards: 22 Red Cards: 0
soccerbase.com I think the ref has had a talking too recently as his red cards seemed to have dried up. Yellow cards are inconsistent but the average for above is 3.6