** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League - April 8th

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League - April 8th TO QUALIFY FOR SEMI-FINAL:

Tuesday 8 April 2008Team 1 Team 2 bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Chelsea v Fenerbahçe SK (19:45BST)1.413.35101%Details »
Hide « Chelsea v Fenerbahçe SK
Liverpool v Arsenal (19:45BST)1.662.50100%Details »

Re: Champions League - April 8th I just wonder whether the mirror effect of the correct score in the Liverpool match can work again - three 1-1 matches so far this season, two of them last week. Anyway, have placed a bet on it @ 6/1;) Not a sure-fire banker, of course:)

Re: Champions League - April 8th

What do you think of: Fenerbahce +2 against Chelsea at odds of 8/11. I think Chelsea will win but they only need a 1-0 to go through so I think Fener +2 is a possibility.
Drogba is not playing good nowadays.Also i tihnk Chelsea's defence is joke.Chelsea can not qualify in my opinion.

Re: Champions League - April 8th :ok

What do you think of: Fenerbahce +2 against Chelsea at odds of 8/11. I think Chelsea will win but they only need a 1-0 to go through so I think Fener +2 is a possibility.
This is not a game that will end 1-0.... perhaps 1-1...if Chelsea try and win it 1-0 they will fail... Grant definately has questions over his head tactically IMO. If he has watched any of Fenerbache's previous matches Away he should know that they will just go for it... it has worked so far... To win this Chelsea will need to go for it also... with the Away Goal they have the advantage and really should use that... I see goals here in any respect... Chelsea should go for it... not all out of course but certainly they should press forward early with some caution and attempt to notch up 2 goals... If one thing they learnt from first keg Fenerbache can score anytime, anywhere against anybody... they will need 2 goals to go through unless they get lucky... and if Grant plays this game defensively for a 1-0 win Chelsea deserve not to go through and grant will want to make sure he picks up the paper in the morning and flip straight through to the 'jobs' section... my pick is over 1 goal at HT... will post all bets later at work ATM...:ok

Drogba is not playing good nowadays.Also i tihnk Chelsea's defence is joke.Chelsea can not qualify in my opinion.
Is that the same Drogba that utterly terrorised Arsenal the last week? Is that the same defence that is 2nd only to Man Utd in the Premiership, with 23 goals conceded in 33 games, including 19 clean sheets? Is that the same team that utterly pulverised Fenerbahce for 60 minutes in the first leg but somehow were only 1 goal up? Now, I'm not saying they are certainties to go through, Fenerbahce are no mugs clearly; but at least make criticisms that have some basis in reality! "Can not qualify"? You think that this team is incapable of a 1-0 victory, or winning by two goals? Like I say, no certainty that they will, but your idea that they have no chance at all is way off imho.

According to the oxford dictionary, the term 'CAN NOT' means there is no possibility of a thing happening. and here even if fenerbahnce was 3-0 up in the first leg, u could not say that chelsea cant. 2005 champions league finals should tell you that nothing in a sureity in football. milan was up 3-0 at half time and liver went on to win the cup. so like the spartans say, AT PL..... EVEN STUPID F1 PUNTERS ARE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR WORDS. SO PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR WORDS CAREFULlY !! As far as the game goes, i think both teams will go for it early doors. And i think chelsea will definetely have an edge coz they are very very good at home. Two bets for me. OVER 2.5 goals @ 1.85 (coz second half will be frantic if either team is going out of the CL) TO QUALIFY CHELSEA @ 1.41

Re: Champions League - April 8th 10pts on Liverpool to qualify i personally want arsenal and cant stand liverpool, but if a side can keep lead in europe its liverpool, they far superior in champs league matches, and really have the experience in matches like this! arsenal havnt really bar r.madrid couple years back and around 1/2 that team has moved on at least no bet chelsea v fenberche we all know chelsea will go 3-0 up in 20mins or go out of the tournement maybe i.r bet on fenberche i.r if still 0-0 after 20-25mins baring poor price

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventLiverpool v Arsenal
SelectionLiverpool to Qualify
Strength10/10
Date08/04/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.66 (Back)
ReasoningLiverpool are a different team in the Champions League and particularly at Anfield. Arsenal will need to score a goal to go through - a situation Liverpool are well familar with and play to their advantage expertly. I expect them to either hold out Arsenal for a 0-0 or hit them on the counter-attack to claim victory. Even if it finishes 1-1 like the past couple have then the Anfield advantage should help Liverpool advance.

hey mate where did u get this info from ...that drogba not playing ........ However, coach Avram Grant is hopeful defender Ricardo Carvalho and Didier Drogba will be able to feature after missing the win over Manchester City. Fenerbahce coach Zico has injury and illness concerns over Roberto Carlos and Claudio Maldonado. reference bbc sport. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7332256.stm

Re: Champions League - April 8th Found a decent looking bet with sportingbet imo, especially when compared to other bookies odds ,and even betfair for that matter !! Fenerbache NOT to score at evens (the bet is titled team 2 to score Yes 1.73 No 2.00) This season Fener have scored in 2 away CL games , 2 at a very poor Anderlecht ,and 2 at a mad attack minded Seville , a team who havent kept a clean sheet in about 6 months . When they came up against decent backlines they got beaten 3-0 at Inter without creating anything for 90 mins ,and they got a 0-0 at PSV ,again without creating anything for 90 mins . Tonight they go to a Chelsea team who will be patient in their search for the 1 goal that will see them sneak through . As long as it stays 0-0 Fener wont go searching for a goal so expect a Chelsea possesion game trying to break through eventually. Even if and when Chelsea do score , Fener wont go mad to score as they know that a late equaliser will see them through . If Chelsea get a 2nd the turks heads are likely to drop imo , and if they go to get level they will get cut to shreads at the back and will likely concede 3 or 4 . Chelsea have conceded just 3 goals in the competition so far ,2 at Fener ,the 2nd and amazing strike , and barring miracles that wont happen again, and 1 sloppy an error against Rosenborg . Barring a penalty / wonder goal , Fener will not score tonight . good luck Team 2 Not to score at evens (Sportingbet) Mr A :ok

hey mate where did u get this info from ...that drogba not playing ........ However, coach Avram Grant is hopeful defender Ricardo Carvalho and Didier Drogba will be able to feature after missing the win over Manchester City. Fenerbahce coach Zico has injury and illness concerns over Roberto Carlos and Claudio Maldonado. reference bbc sport. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7332256.stm
bro he meant he doesnt play good lately;) not about missing for this event:)

Re: Champions League - April 8th Chelsea -1 looks good to me 5/6 Fener are ok at home but expect Chelsea to brush them aside at the bridge, its dangerous backing chelsea -1 as they'll probably settle for 1-0 as it suits their 'cautious' or 'boring' style of play. On the other hand the turks might lose their dicipline of they go down a goal and could get opened up as they push forward for a goal.

Re: Champions League - April 8th liverpool played for a goalless draw in the first leg and failed. they were extremely lucky to get away from that game with a goal and to be level, arsenal should and could have scored about 4. if liverpool play for another goalless draw tonight they will fail again. this is a hard one to call as liverpool have an extroadinary amount of luck in europe but based on the last two games between these sides i have to go for arsenal.

Re: Champions League - April 8th This has to be down as a Chelsea win? Considering their home form and the dominance they showed within the first 60 mins in the previous leg. Team 2 not to score- evens (SportingBet) Chelsea to win 3.0 Ballack 1st goal Good luck people!

Re: Champions League - April 8th I like to look of chelsea to go over 2.5 tonight. Fenerbahce dont seem to keep clean sheets in europe and if chesea score early they're gonna have to go for it, leaving space for drogba et al to score. Not touching the liverpool arsenal game, my head says arsenal should progress, but i've seen enough of liverpool this season to know that they're far from pushovers, especially at home. Good luck tonight for everyone.

Re: Champions League - April 8th Drogba was rested last weekend with other 5-6 players.. Fenerbahce is playing good but I can't see Chelsea not gettin qualified from this one.. Drogba will score because he missed a few chances in İstanbul he will show his quality in this home crowd... Drogba to score anytime ( he also takes closed range free kicks and Volkan is not good against freekicks. ) @ 2 stake 7/10

Re: Champions League - April 8th A case for Arsenal to qualify. I'm cautiously optimistic about tonight. I basically feel the same way I did going into the Milan game at the San Siro. Whilst Liverpool in Europe clearly deserve respect, I didnt see anything to scare me in the first leg, much like Milan. Whilst Milan were faltering in the Italian league, as European Champions, they were supposed to be a different proposition in the Champions League too - much like Liverpool. Dont get me wrong, what Liverpool, (and perhaps moreso Benitez if you include his time at Valencia) have achieved in Europe is outstanding but against domestic opposition I think it will be different. When it comes down to it, qualification against Chelsea in the those 2 years was achieved by a goal that shouldnt have stood and a penalty shootout. Having seen us go to Anfield in October and deserve the win, and again deserve the win last week, I think we can get something tonight. Hopefully its more than a 0-0 draw :hope My prediction - not very original but I am expecting a 1-1 and a penalty shoot out. After that who knows..... ARSENAL (+0.25) BETFAIR @ 1.94

Re: Champions League - April 8th Think the Liverpool Arsenal game is very tough to call. When the draw was made I fancied Liverpool to qualify and while they did a very professional job in the first leg, Arsenal played very well in spells and should have had a penalty at 1-1. I'd still favour Liverpool to qualify but at 6/4 I think you could easily make a case for Arsenal being value, and though I do think Liverpool will just do enough it could easily be extra time and penalties here. What interested me was a few FGS that looked quite high prices on Betfair. Dirk Kuyt is at 16, I know in the first leg he played out wide right, will Benitez be adopting the same formation here or will it be 4-4-2? Crouch is lower at 14 and was wondering if he was expcted to start. The Dutchman scored against Arsenal at Emirates and notched first against Inter last time out at Anfield. Don't normally do these bets but in a tight game like this, it looked not bad value for a bit of interest. Also Alexander Hleb who likes to get forward from midfield and has scored twice in this competition at 26 i thought could also be worth a small interest bet.

Re: Champions League - April 8th Chelsea -1.5 Chelsea go into this game with an important away goal from their 2-1 loss in the first leg, but really should have had a few more goals as they battered the Fener defence and then somehow managed to concede two goals. While a 1-0 win would see them through, they will go for more goals as insurance of getting a late goal agaisnt them. They have a very good and stable defence, and with some very good home form to back them up, they should win by at least a couple of goals Liverpool Liverpool have the advantage of an away goal after their 1-1 draw in the first leg. They are tough to beat at home in this competition as the crowd lifts them to another level. This is their only cup left for them to play for and look to Gerrard and Torres to continue their great form to lead them to victory at home.

Re: Champions League - April 8th My bets for today: Liverpool-Arsenal Liverpool is aiming only at this trophy while Arsenal has more on their plate. Liverpool rested many players over the weekend clearly indicating that they're focus is on this competition in order to achieve something good this season. After losing the 1st CL game at home to Marseille 0-1, Liverpool won the other three CL home games: 8-0 against Besiktas, 4-1 against Porto and 2-0 against Inter Milan. Arsenal has a 2-1-1 away record in the CL which is quite good in this competition but I expect Liverpool's striking power to get the best at the end. My pick: home win; Chelsea-Fenerbahce Chelsea surely has an impressive home record even in the CL but this is the opportunity of a lifetime for the Turkish side, their coach and most of their players and they will surely fight for it. In 4 away games and 9 overall games so far this season in the CL Fenerbahce has only lost one (3-0 away to Inter Milan). This is quite an impressive record in the CL. The price is just too tempting for me at this stage of the CL. My picks: away +1.5AH (Asian Handicap) and Fenerbahce to qualify; Good luck! JC

Found a decent looking bet with sportingbet imo, especially when compared to other bookies odds ,and even betfair for that matter !! Fenerbache NOT to score at evens (the bet is titled team 2 to score Yes 1.73 No 2.00) This season Fener have scored in 2 away CL games , 2 at a very poor Anderlecht ,and 2 at a mad attack minded Seville , a team who havent kept a clean sheet in about 6 months . When they came up against decent backlines they got beaten 3-0 at Inter without creating anything for 90 mins ,and they got a 0-0 at PSV ,again without creating anything for 90 mins . Tonight they go to a Chelsea team who will be patient in their search for the 1 goal that will see them sneak through . As long as it stays 0-0 Fener wont go searching for a goal so expect a Chelsea possesion game trying to break through eventually. Even if and when Chelsea do score , Fener wont go mad to score as they know that a late equaliser will see them through . If Chelsea get a 2nd the turks heads are likely to drop imo , and if they go to get level they will get cut to shreads at the back and will likely concede 3 or 4 . Chelsea have conceded just 3 goals in the competition so far ,2 at Fener ,the 2nd and amazing strike , and barring miracles that wont happen again, and 1 sloppy an error against Rosenborg . Barring a penalty / wonder goal , Fener will not score tonight . good luck Team 2 Not to score at evens (Sportingbet) Mr A :ok
Just a small point here, Sevilla did keep a clean sheet on Sunday at home to Villareal, which failed me and few more guys in the Spanish thread, and this is not the only clean sheet the had in the last 6 months. As of your pick - looks good at these odds, some will probably follow, I hope then Chelsea score 3 as the Over in another post above looks better to me. Good luck

Re: Champions League - April 8th lookin at the last games played i see tonite two very close matches where only details will decide who will go through... liverpool-arsenal are two teams that are really impossible to say which one is better atm and who will dominate the match...both of them have talented players of the highest class...still here i stick to home win by 1 goal @3,6 as liverpool´s squad seems more compact to me atm. chelsea-fenerbahce turks keep on dreamin their big european dream and are just few steps of the semis...they are showing good team play with solid midfield (alex, aurelio)...chelsea will have to push hard to get to the semis...i don´t know who will go further but here i predict home win by 1 goal @3,6 as well...i think it is highly possible we will see an extra time here and maybe penalty kick-out! just for fun i´m also taking correct score bets liverpool 1:0 @6,5 chelsea 2:1 @8

Re: Champions League - April 8th I think Arsenal can get the better of Liverpool at Anfield tonight. Whatever is said about Rafa and Liverpool being more suited to playng Europe, the fact remains that Arsenal aren't a European team, and one look at the table shows that they are a better side than the scouse. Were it not for the extraordinary amount of luck Liverpool have in the Champions League there wouldn't be the argument of '2 finals in last 3 years'. 13/5 with Pinnacle for Arsenal to win inside 90 minutes looks like a real insult to the Gunners. I also think there could well be goals tonight, again going against the grain of popular opinion. 7/5 is available with Expekt for Over 2.5 goals, nd I will be having a play on that too. Chelsea should win, and win relatively comfortably, even if it is DESPITE Avram and not because of Avram! Tonight's bets Arsenal win - £15 @ 13/5 Pinnacle Liv v Ars Over 2.5 goals - £25 @ 7/5 Expekt Che v Fen CS 2-0 - £12 @ 11/2 Ladbrokes Che v Fen CS 3-0 - £8 @ 8/1 Stan James Good luck all

Re: Champions League - April 8th Hi all, Gone for two seperate bets this evening, both purely for interests sake, firstly Liverpool to win ( reasoning I gave myself was simply home advantage with the Kop adding a bit of passion to the team ) and Secondly, Stevie Gerrad to score anytime, hes always a danger with long range efforts. GL ALL SB