** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg, April 1st

Re: Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg, April 1st Everything is more tactical at this level, stakes too high...I still think goals will be seen on Tuesday, need to see odds for ''both teams to score'' first. Roma missing Totti and Perrotta, but Vucinic and Mancini are dangerous enough, not to mention the fact that on Roma's scoreboard players from all lines could be seen. Man U to qualify looks safest atm. As of the game in Gelsenkirchen any score is possible, incl 0-0, but Germans need to score no matter what and if Betis did it 3 times...Barca can score anytime anywhere, so I am looking at Goal/Goal and Overs in both games.

Re: Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg, April 1st Both of these matches are tricky, but apparently i read somewhere that Frank Rijkaard said that its time to repay the fans from the loss to Betis, which could mean a win at Schalke. The guy is a crap coach and needs to be removed, but Barcelona could sweep the Germans aside quite easily.

Re: Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg, April 1st

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventSchalke 04 v FC Barcelona
SelectionSchalke 04 -0 (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date01/04/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.61 (Back)
ReasoningBarcelona have been in pretty poor form of late losing at home to Villareal and on the road to Betis. Tonight they are without their best player (Messi) and Schalke should be quite competitive tonight having 10pts from their last 4 games. It's a game where Barcelona would probably feel comfortable getting a draw so take the more conservative option of the DNB.

Re: Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg, April 1st Man Utd Massive loss for Roma with the absence of Totti and to a lesser extent Perrotta. Totti is to Roma as to what Ronaldo is to Man Utd and with the edge here in talent, and especially the depth of talent Man Utd has, hard not to see Man Utd win. However, Man Utd have a very stable backline and should be able to solve the threat of Vucinic while the loss of Juan for Roma in their backline means that they will find it even harder to hold out Robaldo, Rooney and Tevez, Man Utd in the form they are in, are capable of winning this

EventRoma v Man U
SelectionRoma (+0.25) (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date01/04/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.90 (Back)
ReasoningRoma (+0.25) 1.9 betfair Roma have an impressive 12-2-1 record at home and have avoided defeat to Man U in their last 2 games at home. They actually beat Man Utd at their own ground last year. I was impressed with Roma when they knocked Real Madrid out in the last round and whilst Man U are flying at the moment I think they will be happy with a draw here.

Re: Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg, April 1st IMO pretty hard games to predict in terms of 1x2 FT but I think the away teams both have a slight edge. Barcelona has proved to be very offensive on road in CL and I see them reaching Schalkes far from perfect defense pretty easily. On the other hand ManU is in excellent form atm and their offensive is working like a dream, can't see a reason for it to collapse today. Roma's defense ain't no match here, no way they will hold a clean sheet against top form visitors. So my conclusion is that both away teams should be able to score easily, imo would be a small miracle if one of them wouldn't. Taking both away teams to score in a double @1.62, thinking it's the safest and least stressfull option to take in todays matchups. :hope

Man Utd Massive loss for Roma with the absence of Totti and to a lesser extent Perrotta. Totti is to Roma as to what Ronaldo is to Man Utd and with the edge here in talent, and especially the depth of talent Man Utd has, hard not to see Man Utd win. However, Man Utd have a very stable backline and should be able to solve the threat of Vucinic while the loss of Juan for Roma in their backline means that they will find it even harder to hold out Robaldo, Rooney and Tevez, Man Utd in the form they are in, are capable of winning this
Very true... the only thing that makes me think and it's a big thing... this game will not be against Villa @ home where they are under minimal pressure and allowed to run openly... this is away in EUROPE against what is a form team in Italy this will be tougher than there 2-2 against Lyon and while Man Utd are in top form their tactics will tell the tale in this match.... which lets face it Sir Alex has failed time and time again in Europe... I feel this may blow out but I think much more likely it will be tight/ low scoring with Man Utd relying on the home leg to seal this game (as they know that they probably will and comfortably)... nothing big for me here... 2 units Draw @ 3.1 1 unit CS 1-1 @ 6.5 As for Barca/Schalke I think Barca minus Eto, Messi, and Deco will struggle creatively for this one... I am worried that the Barca team will infact not sit back in this one after all of the recent criticism surrounding the club... Marquez back for Barca is a boost in defense... I am thinking 0-0 for this one... may be wrong... this is champions league very unpredictable... low stake... 2 units Schalke +0.5 @ 1.75 1 unit Draw/Draw HT/FT @ 4.75 Good Luck hopefully we see something special tonight from Man Utd and Roma... perhaps some of the most entertaining and quality football teams in Europe... Roma will need something special but they are definately quality and are more than capable...:ok

Very true... the only thing that makes me think and it's a big thing... this game will not be against Villa @ home where they are under minimal pressure and allowed to run openly... this is away in EUROPE against what is a form team in Italy this will be tougher than there 2-2 against Lyon and while Man Utd are in top form their tactics will tell the tale in this match.... which lets face it Sir Alex has failed time and time again in Europe... I feel this may blow out but I think much more likely it will be tight/ low scoring with Man Utd relying on the home leg to seal this game (as they know that they probably will and comfortably)... nothing big for me here... 2 units Draw @ 3.1 1 unit CS 1-1 @ 6.5
that's exactly what I had in mind :ok anyway, the best bet tonight I recon is Schalke to score @ 1.5 with Barca having little to offer in offense tonight I think they'll sit back and wait for a miracle goal to happen for them, Schalke on the other hand will strive to get a result... their football being different by far from Spanish Primera's should result in a few good goal chances against a so-so defending and lack of determination

Tip Detail
EventRoma - Man Utd
SelectionUnder 1.5 goals
Strength10/10
Date01/04/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 2.75 (Back)
ReasoningStill no Van der Saar for Sir Alex’ side. Not that Polish Tomas Kuszczak has been less than a goo replacement though. The Devils are also without creative Nani, in addition to Saha, Fletcher, as well as injurey recovered but not yet fully match fit Silvester and G Neville. All this is nothing compared to Roma losing out inspiring skipper Totti. This has been a big blow for the Italian capital side, an we will see how they cope with this loss. Also out on suspension is Perrotta, while Juan is an injury doubt. But anyone who has watched Roma get the best of Real at the Bernabeu must agree that this side has potential this season, and it won’t be as easy for United to break them down as it was last season when they hammered the Romans by 7-1 at Old Trafford. No Sir, an indeed Roma have put it all bhin them and have already played United twice this term losing by only the odd goal at Old Trafford and drawing 1-1 at home in a game that didn’t really matter to either of them. With this being the 1st leg, and everything still available to play for, both sides will probably be defensively alert. Roma sure don’t want to concede at home, and Man U most probably will be content with a minimal defeat, or a draw at best. Man U practically almost secured the EPL title as they are unlikely to drop 6 points in the remaining 6 games (incluing a visit to the Bridge) and even if they do lose to Chelsea an draw in another game (Arsenal, Blackburn or West Ham are the tricky ones) they still have a huge 20 goals advantage over the Blues to rely on. This may help them concentrate on the CL title now, but rest assure it won’t be all over when the fat lady sings tonight. Roma are very much still in the hunt for the Scudetto title, and that may distract them a little in the 2nd leg as it’s always hard to be strongly involved onm two different frontiers and still get fully concentrated on both, but for tonight they seem focused enough and well determined to produce a result to take to Old Trafford. Man U have kept 5 clean sheets in their EPL last 5 games, which indicates a strong defence. However, only 4 away wins in the CL Q-final 1st legs since the Q-finals was reinstated make it less likely that they will win today, in addition to Roma's well performance(s) vs Real in the last round and against the Reds themselves earlier in this competition. The outcome? 0-0 or 1-0 home win. Both will please Sir Alex' men, and won't be disasterous to Spalletti's men, especially without Totti.
Tip Detail
EventSchalke - Barca
SelectionHome (level ball) (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date01/04/2008
Bookmaker/PriceBetDirect @ 2.50 (Back)
Reasoning2-0 up at half time and Barca still somehow managed to lose to Betis by 2-3 at the end. This marked their 3rd loss in the last 5 games in La Liga, and along with the cup defeat to Valencia it doesn’t look too bright for Reijkaard towards the en of the season. Not long ago the Blaugrana outfit was in the race to collect 3 trophies, and as the gap widens up to 7 at the top of La Liga they now find themselves practically playing for only the CL title, and even that is very much shakey as they continue to disappoint through their shambolic defence. Gaby milito is back, but what can he really do? Maybe mark Abidal?? Or stand in for Valdez? Obviously Barcelona’s whole defence line needs a lot of work to teach them to man-mark, be in the right position in set-pieces, crosses and/or counter attacks, and 1st of all teach show them the basics of defence in this game as they seem to have not hard of the concept. Schalke are up the Bundesliga ladder and have landed on 3rd now, but all is not yet settled as they are 2 points away from 2nd but also 3 points away from being pulled down to 7th. For now, they may enjoy their moment being in one CL slots for next season already. Schalke of course lack the experience to play at this level as it’s their 1st CL quarter final appearance and compared to their rivals (whom are no strangers to playing this far and have won the title just the season before last) it looks like Schalke are at a big disadvantage. However, being at home and with Barcelona’s worst form of the season may give the German outfit some hope in springing an upset and advancing further into the last 4. For this of course they will need to score, but most of all rely on their solid defence line not to concede at home. Barca on the other hand are going from ad to worse and the fans have made it clear that they’ve had it right up till the noses and will take no more. This may galvanise the players into playing theirbest football, or may add extra pressure on them and result in further limitating their abilities. Schalke are without 2 injured players in Albert Streit and Ivan Rakitic. They also have Jermaine Jones out suspended. Their 4-4-2 formation consists of: Neuer, Rafinha, Bordon, Krstajic, Westermann, Asamoah, Ernst, Kobiaschwili, Pander, Kuranyi, Altintop Barca are still without Messi, Ronaldinho and Deco. Milito maybe back though, and so may Marquez. Ezquerro and Sanchez have been left out, and Eto’o is rated doubtful. Assuming Eto’o gets the nod to play the 4-3-3 formation should consist of: Valdes, Zambrotta, Puyol, Milito, Abidal, Xavi, Toure, Iniesta, Bojan, Eto'o, Henry With 3-1-0 for Schalke's last 4 in Bundesliga vs 1-1-3 for Barca's last 5 in La Liga, it becomes obvious that the odds on the home win are value, especially when we learn that only 4 away wins were registered in 13 season (52 games) in the CL Q-final 1st legs. The level ball ensures the stake is refunded if it ends in a draw though

Re: Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg, April 1st Stats are great ! And since the return to having quarter-finals less than 8% have gone to away sides, so I guess you should back the home sides with +0.5 goals for a return. That will be my bet, just dunno what the odds are. Schalke (+0.5) 9/13 Pinnacle AS Roma (+0.5) 5/8 Pinnacle Double 7/4 this looks like a fair price to me !

EventSchalke v Barcelona
SelectionSchalke (+0.25) (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date01/04/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.97 (Back)
ReasoningBarcelona record away from home isnt the best against the better sides in Spain - thery have had 1 win and 2 clean sheets away at sides in the top half of la liga - Schalke would be as good as any of those sides and face a Barcelona side with doubts over Messi, Eto-o and Deco.

Re: Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg, April 1st My bet for today (posted in the www.sports-punter.com site on Sunday): Roma-M. United Man. United, and Cristiano Ronaldo in particular, is in great form at the moment (they've got all the "momentum"). The draw on Saturday at Cagliari is a big blow for Roma in the league and recent reports mention that Roma's best player, Totti, got injured in yesterday's match and will miss next tuesday's CL match. It should be an interesting and tight game. I expect the price on MU to go down because of Totti's injury...so I'll place an early "away PK" bet on them as I expect M. United to get a narrow win here. My pick: away PK; P.S.) and the price on MU did go down in the last few days... Good luck! JC

Re: Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg, April 1st Roma - Man Utd It looks like Van Der Sar will play against Roma tonight as he trained normally today at Rome without any problems.. Fancy a Man UTD clean sheet @ 2.76 to be honest as I can see this ending 0-0 or 0-1. GL Alex

Re: Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg, April 1st things are gettin rough in this stage and every mistake will be punished 1000 times... looking at the recent form of both schalke and barca 1x2 is kinda unpredictable in this match what i see is barca missing etoo messi deco and ronaldinho that is team´s spine while schylke got their superscorer kuranyi despite not being at his best he will spred some fear into defence personally i took schalke 1x because of value @1,6 and over 2,5 @2,0 which is pure value in my eyes

EventSchalke v Barcelona
Selection12 Corners or Less
Strength8/10
Date01/04/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.28 (Laying 13 or more at 4.6)
ReasoningStatistically at this time of the competition teams are very tight with a lot of football being played in the middle of the field. Not one game has had 14 or more corners in it in the first leg of the 1/4 finals in the last 6 years. I suggest lay the 13 or more corners on Betfair at 4.6 (equates to a back of 12 or less at 1.27777)
EventRoma v Man Utd
Strength8/10
Date01/04/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.33 (Laying 13 or more at 4.0)
ReasoningStatistically at this time of the competition teams are very tight with a lot of football being played in the middle of the field. Not one game has had 14 or more corners in it in the first leg of the 1/4 finals in the last 6 years. I suggest lay the 13 or more corners on Betfair at 4.0 (equates to a back of 12 or less at 1.3333)
If you can cover either of these with a saver on exactly 13 corners I would reccomend it as 4/24 games at this stage have had exactly 13 corners. The lay of 13 or more should still be a great value bet even without the saver. A double of the above 2 on Betfair Multiples is 1.57 and is also worth a bet. I also think that No Red card is a good value bet at this stage of the tournament. Players wont do stupid things (Camaronesi aside) as they do not want to be banned from key matches. Statistically only 4 of the last 24 quater final first legs have had Red Cards in them. You can back No Red card at Betfair at 1.26 (Roma v Man U) and 1.25 (Schalke v Barcelona) A double on Betfair Multiples returns 1.48 Both should be good value bets.

Re: Champions League Quarter Final 1st Leg, April 1st Gonna go for a small double on two draws at 9.3. Roma V Man Utd- strongly fancy this to be a draw. Only a brave man would bet against Utd on recent form with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez making up a mouthwatering trio which Utd fans will hope can land them the cup with the big ears. However, Roma having beaten Real Madrid in both legs will fancy their chances, Utd don't always travel the best in this competition and i think they'd be fairly happy with a draw to take back to Old Trafford. They have not won in any of their last 2 meetings here losing 2-1 and drawing 1-1 in the group stages. 1-1 i think Schalke v Barca- Barca are very inconsistent in La Liga and could struggle to break down the Germans without Dinho, Messi and Eto'o. Having taken 10 points from their last 4 games confidence will be high and with their injury woes and having thrown away a 2-0 lead at the weekend to lose 3-2, Barca will be glad to take this tie back to the Nou Camp with the sides still level. 0-0 or 1-1

My bet for today (posted in the www.sports-punter.com site on Sunday): Roma-M. United Man. United, and Cristiano Ronaldo in particular, is in great form at the moment (they've got all the "momentum"). The draw on Saturday at Cagliari is a big blow for Roma in the league and recent reports mention that Roma's best player, Totti, got injured in yesterday's match and will miss next tuesday's CL match. It should be an interesting and tight game. I expect the price on MU to go down because of Totti's injury...so I'll place an early "away PK" bet on them as I expect M. United to get a narrow win here. My pick: away PK; won P.S.) and the price on MU did go down in the last few days... Good luck! JC
:ok

EventSchalke v Barcelona
Strength8/10
Date01/04/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.28 (Laying 13 or more at 4.6)
ReasoningStatistically at this time of the competition teams are very tight with a lot of football being played in the middle of the field. Not one game has had 14 or more corners in it in the first leg of the 1/4 finals in the last 6 years. I suggest lay the 13 or more corners on Betfair at 4.6 (equates to a back of 12 or less at 1.27777)
EventRoma v Man Utd
Strength8/10
Date01/04/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.33 (Laying 13 or more at 4.0)
ReasoningStatistically at this time of the competition teams are very tight with a lot of football being played in the middle of the field. Not one game has had 14 or more corners in it in the first leg of the 1/4 finals in the last 6 years. I suggest lay the 13 or more corners on Betfair at 4.0 (equates to a back of 12 or less at 1.3333)
If you can cover either of these with a saver on exactly 13 corners I would reccomend it as 4/24 games at this stage have had exactly 13 corners. The lay of 13 or more should still be a great value bet even without the saver. A double of the above 2 on Betfair Multiples is 1.57 and is also worth a bet. I also think that No Red card is a good value bet at this stage of the tournament. Players wont do stupid things (Camaronesi aside) as they do not want to be banned from key matches. Statistically only 4 of the last 24 quater final first legs have had Red Cards in them. You can back No Red card at Betfair at 1.26 (Roma v Man U) and 1.25 (Schalke v Barcelona) A double on Betfair Multiples returns 1.48 Both should be good value bets.
All bets winners... :nana:ok Winners at: Sending off 1.26 1.25 1.48 Corners 1.33 (11 makeup) 1.28 (11 makeup) 1.57