** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League (Mar 5th)

Wednesday 5 March 2008 Home Draw Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Chelsea v Olympiakos (19:45GMT) 1.34 5.20 15.50 100% Details »
Hide « Chelsea v Olympiakos
FC Porto v Schalke 04 (19:45GMT) 1.83 3.50 5.50 101% Details »
Hide « FC Porto v Schalke 04
Real Madrid v Roma (19:45GMT) 1.63 3.95 7.00 101% Details »
bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">
Hide « Chelsea v Olympiakos
Hide « FC Porto v Schalke 04
Hide « Real Madrid v Roma

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) Interesting that amongst all the dozens of posts in tonight's games' thread, not one post has been put forward for these 3 games, probably because from a betting point of view they are quite tricky; Chelsea will probably win, but the odds are extremely stingy. Real could well have the edge over Roma, but again the odds aren't great given the calibre of the opposition. And Porto vs Schalke is a step into the unknown for many punters I would imagine. One bet that sticks out for me is Frank Lampard as first goalscorer at 7/1. Last season Lampard and Drogba shared a stunning number of first goals between them in the league, and I mentioned this on another forum - someone followed it this year, and the "monkey theory" (backing both Lamps and Drogs as 1st scorer whenever they played) turned a reasonable level stakes profit; obviously, this was disrupted by injury and the African Nations, and then lo and behold Lamps gets the first at 7/1 on Saturday! Drogba is 4/1 tomorrow, but to be honest its Lamps that catches my eye in this game. Probably will be tight, and he takes free-kicks and penalties, as well as getting plenty from open play. Chelsea keep a lot of clean sheets, especially at home, etc etc. Could be a very good bet.

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) me thinks Roma +1 @ about 1.7 is a nice one Real will field v. young defence, no Ramos, they often let a goal or two... we'ra already talking Casillas is a one-man defence... and Roma's counter-attacking style of play is perfect for to-morrow -night's fixture, add to that "Roman" experience up front Real is also without RvN, Sneijder and Robben Raul, Baptista and coming back Robinho will have to go to great lenghts, maybe another extra time in Spain... or maybe Roma will be too much for the line-up that seems not up for the job my gut feeling tells me a score draw, 2-1 is all Real can hope for, to win by two or more one of the attacking players would need a man-of-the-match performance and they don't look like that these days

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) Being Spurs all over I enjoyed what Arsenal did tonight - hats off to AC Milan's achievements, but every time a football dinosaur is down, I am happy. Most of all I am happy for Wenger, IMO one of the top 3 managers around. This game really made me feel ''brave'' and for the game in Madrid I will pick Over 2,5 goals with 7/10 at 1,80, Over 3,5 goals with 2/10 at 3,05 and Roma + 0,25 at 2,68 with 2/10. Obviously a 2-2 draw would be good! :D The reason I am looking at these picks is Real's bad defending and the fact they have to score to qualify. This is exactly the kind of play Roma wants and I think they will score too, probably first. I rate Spaletti very high and hope he will outsmart Schuster - he has a team while the German has a group of good individuals, and good old Raul is my only worry for my bet, on top of Casillas. Would be exiting at the 1/4 finals with no Milan, Inter and Real :hope I am also very tempted with Goal/Goal or even Over at Stamford Bridge, the Greeks were good scoring away in the group, being with Real, Lazio and Werder...It will be difficult against Chelsea, the game is at different level, but still, Rosenborg did it.... Good luck

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) hi guys what are peoples views tonight, I am swaying towards Roma +1 as posted above MAdrid have kept 1 clean sheet in all competitions in the last 7 games and Roma are in great form winning vs Parma 4v0 last w/e. Although Madrid are a giant in europe i think the loss of Van nistlerooy,robben and particlualry Ramos adds to an already weak defence and i think although Madrid will score I can't see them keeping a clean sheet. My other Attention was to back Olyimpakios +2 I am expecting chelsea to win but i don't think it will be easy probably by 1 and as i understand if it ends 2v0 Chelski i would still get my stake back is this correct guys? any views welcome

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th)

hi guys what are peoples views tonight, I am swaying towards Roma +1 as posted above MAdrid have kept 1 clean sheet in all competitions in the last 7 games and Roma are in great form winning vs Parma 4v0 last w/e. Although Madrid are a giant in europe i think the loss of Van nistlerooy,robben and particlualry Ramos adds to an already weak defence and i think although Madrid will score I can't see them keeping a clean sheet. My other Attention was to back Olyimpakios +2 I am expecting chelsea to win but i don't think it will be easy probably by 1 and as i understand if it ends 2v0 Chelski i would still get my stake back is this correct guys? any views welcome
as long as your bet is on the Asian handicap and not the european handicap then your stake would be returned.

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) I betted against Olympiakos earlier in the season in Europe and got burned. Chelsea losing the League Cup will want to stay in Euro for sure, +2 Olympiakos sounds like a very good bet! Do not underestimate Olympiakos. Real V Roma Over 2.5 goals, as stated Roma firing hte goals in last week and Reals young defence combinating in away goals. Real will have to score goals to win this game!

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) Chelsea -1 (EH) With Olympiacos hit by injuries to important players like Galletti and Lua Lua, and Chelsea showing some good form in beating West Ham 4-0 on the weekend, it is hard not to see how the Blues won't win this game comfortably. Olympiacos didn't do enough nor did they have enouugh in the first leg to really trouble Chelsea, and now i expect Cheslea to carry in with their good play there and win this game quite well. Real Madrid over 2.5 With Roma leading this tie 2-1 but Madrid with the away goal, this is anyone's game. It should be an open game as Madrid at home are very tough to beat, and they will go on the attack stright away to score early. If they do, the advantage goes to them which will force Roma to come out and score and if they do then Madrid will have to contineu their attacking play. Both sides prefer to play a more open game so there should be goals as they both have some very good attacking players.

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) Hi all, I persoanlly fancy the look of Porto to win at the Estadio Dragao, where out of 11 games in the Bwin liga this season they have won 10 and drawn 1. I understand this is in their domestic league and betting on Eurpean games should not be based on domestics stats. However, their home form was what helped them achieve a last 16 place in this years CL picking up 7 points from a possible 9. ( This included beating Besiktas and Marseille and drawing with Liverpool ) Thier possible line up for tonight looks like : Helton; Boswinga, Emanuel, Alves, Fucile; L Gonzalez, Assuncao, Meireles; Lisandro, Farias, Quaresma. There are alot of creative players in the team and I can definatly see them winning this match in the 90 minutes tonight. If anyone with greater insight into the Portuguese Bwin Liga has any advise or additions that could help my bets, JC Tips perhaps.?? I would be much appreciated. :ok Cheers and good luck

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) Thinking of an E/W 1st Goalscorer punt tonight in the Chelsea game. Changed my approach recently by just betting small stakes on the games I can watch for a bit of entertainment. Trudging through tables and stats on the 90min 1X2 markets was doing my head in :wall. If he plays, it's a case of Shaun Wright-Phillips (around 10/1) for me. Only started once out of the last 4 games so I'm hoping Avram Grant will give him a run-out tonight. Shouldn't make a difference in these type of markets, but he's gone 4 appearances without a goal whereby the majority of the usual suspects (Lampard, Drogba, J. Cole, Ballack etc.) have all scored in their last appearances. Not the greatest scoring record this season (4 in 28 starts) but he's capable of better in relation to last season (around 3 starts per goal) and, if starting, should be up against a LB by the name of Anastasios Pantos who - with the greatest respect - isn't exactly a household name in European football. Again, waiting on starting line-ups, but if he doesn't start, it's gonna be a bog-standard bet on Chelsea's likeliest G/Scorer IMO - Didier Drogba at around the 4/1 mark. Best of luck all whichever way you go... :ok :hope

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventReal Madrid-Roma
SelectionReal
Strength10/10
Date05/03/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.81 (Back)
ReasoningThis I also saw good bet and I took it.Real has been playing very good this season and they want to go to next round here.They won In Huelva this weekend and today in good mood enter this match.They played very good game in Rome against Roma and they easily could earn draw but simply Roma wanted that win more than and Real made some mistakes which lead to that result 2-1.Real has a lot of absences today as Ramos is suspended and Metzelder,Sneijder,Robben and Drenthe and Van Nistelrooy are out but Robinho and Pepe are back in squad.Roma is total different team on road and they want very hard to beat anyone on a trip.They have good result from first match but not enough good as Real is really strong and they can score anytime.Probably Roma will try to defend and will trying with fast-breaks with Totti and Mancini to score.I expect Real to attack from start and try to score early goal and if they do that they will be much closer to win here.Odds are very good for me and they are worth of risk

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventPorto-Schalke
SelectionPorto win
Strength10/10
Date05/03/2008
Bookmaker/Pricetotesport @ 1.75 (Back)
ReasoningWell value here is on Porto here for me.They are playing good this season and they have a lot of lead in Portugease liga were they will probably defend tittle.Now they are facing a tough challenge in Schalke who won first match 1-0 and today Porto must takeover that lead to qualify and they play especially good in home ground.They rested key players for match against Boavista in weekend and they are ready for this one.They were unlucky in first leg and today they that must repay to them.They have no abscences and Porto is in full squad.Well Schalke hadn’t best time recently and they have lost last three games in Bundes liga and they were playing particulary bad.Also Schalke is known as a team who plays better at home than on road.Outcome for me is already coming and I see here Porto winning and probably in next round and odds are pretty good.

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) Chelsea v Olympiakos I have just fallen off the floor laughing. 18.50 for a team that outplayed Chelsea at home and didnt concede. 18.50 for a team who have beaten Werder and Lazio away this year. 18.50 for a team who play Chelsea on the back of them winning 4-0 against a very very poor West Ham. 18.50 for a Kovacevic up front. 18.50, 18.50, 18.50. I just cant get my head around it. At the very least this is a back to lay opportunity. If they go 1 down I'll have an idential bet at the same stake to back and lay again. Simply crazy odds for me.

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) Hi mates, Best bets of the day: Porto - Schalke -> Over 2.5 @ 2.3 (sportingbet) Porto - Schalke -> Porto (-1) Handicap to win @ 3 (sportingbet) And I will have 5/10 stakes on correct scores: 2-0 @ 7 3-1 @ 17 3-0 @ 13 Porto WILL win, no doubt on that, they are far better than schalke IMO, and not because I am Portuguese, because in home competitions I really desire them the WORST possible. I really don't like them, but I reckon they're a very good team, and playing at home, they will make amends on latest week poor effort CL wise! get on :)

Hi mates, Best bets of the day: Porto - Schalke -> Over 2.5 @ 2.3 (sportingbet) Porto - Schalke -> Porto (-1) Handicap to win @ 3 (sportingbet) And I will have 5/10 stakes on correct scores: 2-0 @ 7 3-1 @ 17 3-0 @ 13 Porto WILL win, no doubt on that, they are far better than schalke IMO, and not because I am Portuguese, because in home competitions I really desire them the WORST possible. I really don't like them, but I reckon they're a very good team, and playing at home, they will make amends on latest week poor effort CL wise! get on :)
i would like to note the fact that after the system changed in 2003, a home team who won the first knockout match 1:0 never had the second leg an over. i would even consider under 1.5 on thisone

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) "18.50 for a team that outplayed Chelsea at home" LOL don't know what game you were watching, or even if it was a football game. Chelsea breezed through the first leg like a training exercise. Olympiakos couldn't get the ball off them. If ever a 17/1 shot was too short, this is it. Might as well be 80/1. Save your cash. Waste of time backing the Greeks.

Save your cash. Waste of time backing the Greeks.
Maybe you are right, but too short odds on Chelsea. I know they can easilly win this, but nothing is 100%. My bet is 0,5/10 on Oly (DNB). If I loose I won't cry for money. ;) As I see, Chelsea will attack from the begining, but if they failed to score in first half, they will be frustrated. Maybe avoinding this game and bet on Roma. I watch Roma and Real. It seems Real is somehow out of form, at least their middle line. Will see how Totti will play. Maybe over should be the best bet. So if the CS will be 1:2 I'll be more than happy. Good luck.

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) I'm having 3 bets tonight. Lay Real Madrid @ 1.81 Betfair I just think Real are so vulnerable defensively and at times, were made to look very ordinary by a poor Recreativo side at the weekend. Roma will come here with confidence and they will come here with experience of being battered at Old Trafford last year. I think Roma are a better team than Real and may even find this match more comfortable than most expect it to be. Recovered from an early goal at home, to take the lead in this match. I think they are mentally stronger than Real and hope to see that tonight. Chelsea v Olympiakos Under 2.5 Goals @ 1.95 Betfair I just can't see a goal glut here. Chelsea will want to be careful they don't concede an away goal and Olympiakos, who don't have a particularly impressive away record in CL, will want to frustrate Chelsea for long periods. However, Olympiakos's CL away form has dramtically improved this season, with great wins over Bremen and Roma. Whilst all their away matches were over 2.5, I think the pressure of this match will mean it will be tight. Porto v Schalke LAY Over 2.5 Goals @ 2.60 Betfair Pretty much the same scenario, I just think the amount of pressure on this match will mean it's played very tight and carefully. Schalke will probably sit back and try to hit them on the counter, as they don't need to score to go through. Schalke don't leak too many goals, so Porto may well be in for a frustrating night, but you can be sure they'll be knocking on the door.

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) Chelsea to win for me, but like others I don't expect a high scoring game. I have split my stake between Chelsea to win by 1 goal (16/5) & 2 goals (11/4) on Boyle Sports. Effectively gives me an Evs bet on Chelsea providing they don't bang in a few goals & win by 3 or more.

Maybe you are right, but too short odds on Chelsea. I know they can easilly win this, but nothing is 100%. My bet is 0,5/10 on Oly (DNB). If I loose I won't cry for money. ;) As I see, Chelsea will attack from the begining, but if they failed to score in first half, they will be frustrated. Maybe avoinding this game and bet on Roma. I watch Roma and Real. It seems Real is somehow out of form, at least their middle line. Will see how will Totti play. Good luck.
totally agree,very big odds for away teams(and for schalke also)

Thinking of an E/W 1st Goalscorer punt tonight in the Chelsea game. Changed my approach recently by just betting small stakes on the games I can watch for a bit of entertainment. Trudging through tables and stats on the 90min 1X2 markets was doing my head in :wall. If he plays, it's a case of Shaun Wright-Phillips (around 10/1) for me. Only started once out of the last 4 games so I'm hoping Avram Grant will give him a run-out tonight. Shouldn't make a difference in these type of markets, but he's gone 4 appearances without a goal whereby the majority of the usual suspects (Lampard, Drogba, J. Cole, Ballack etc.) have all scored in their last appearances. Not the greatest scoring record this season (4 in 28 starts) but he's capable of better in relation to last season (around 3 starts per goal) and, if starting, should be up against a LB by the name of Anastasios Pantos who - with the greatest respect - isn't exactly a household name in European football. Again, waiting on starting line-ups, but if he doesn't start, it's gonna be a bog-standard bet on Chelsea's likeliest G/Scorer IMO - Didier Drogba at around the 4/1 mark. Best of luck all whichever way you go... :ok :hope
W-Phillips on the bench. I can't bring myself to back Drogba at a paultry 7/2. Gone for W-Phillips to exploit some tired legs: 1pt S. Wright-Phillips to be last goalscorer vs. Olympiakos @ 10/1 (Bet365) Team news if anyone's interested:
Chelsea: Cudicini, Ferreira, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Ballack, Makelele, Lampard, Kalou, Drogba, Joe Cole
Subs: Hilario, Essien, Malouda, Wright-Phillips, Alex, Belletti, Anelka
Olympiacos: Nikopolidis, Zewlakow, Julio Cesar, Antzas, Pantos, Ledesma, Patsatzoglou, Torosidis, Djordjevic, Stoltidis, Kovacevic
Subs: Sifakis, Leonardo, Nunez, Mendrinos, Konstantinou, Belluschi, Sisic
GL again... :hope

Being Spurs all over I enjoyed what Arsenal did tonight - hats off to AC Milan's achievements, but every time a football dinosaur is down, I am happy. Most of all I am happy for Wenger, IMO one of the top 3 managers around. This game really made me feel ''brave'' and for the game in Madrid I will pick Over 2,5 goals with 7/10 at 1,80, Over 3,5 goals with 2/10 at 3,05 and Roma + 0,25 at 2,68 with 2/10. Obviously a 2-2 draw would be good! :D The reason I am looking at these picks is Real's bad defending and the fact they have to score to qualify. This is exactly the kind of play Roma wants and I think they will score too, probably first. I rate Spaletti very high and hope he will outsmart Schuster - he has a team while the German has a group of good individuals, and good old Raul is my only worry for my bet, on top of Casillas. Would be exiting at the 1/4 finals with no Milan, Inter and Real :hope I am also very tempted with Goal/Goal or even Over at Stamford Bridge, the Greeks were good scoring away in the group, being with Real, Lazio and Werder...It will be difficult against Chelsea, the game is at different level, but still, Rosenborg did it.... Good luck
Well, that Over 3,5 was ambitious...Still: Roma + 0,25 :) Spaletti is great! Over 2,5 goals :) Thank you, Mirko! Raul to score :) absolute offside but counts! Chelsea Over 2,5 goals :) Expected Greeks to score, but who cares at those odds!!!! :nana:nana:nana:nana:nana:nana:nana:nana P.S. What a round - 3 Champions out before the 1/4 finals, with Inter also looking bad :loon:clap:loon

Hi all, I persoanlly fancy the look of Porto to win at the Estadio Dragao, where out of 11 games in the Bwin liga this season they have won 10 and drawn 1. I understand this is in their domestic league and betting on Eurpean games should not be based on domestics stats. However, their home form was what helped them achieve a last 16 place in this years CL picking up 7 points from a possible 9. ( This included beating Besiktas and Marseille and drawing with Liverpool ) Thier possible line up for tonight looks like : Helton; Boswinga, Emanuel, Alves, Fucile; L Gonzalez, Assuncao, Meireles; Lisandro, Farias, Quaresma. There are alot of creative players in the team and I can definatly see them winning this match in the 90 minutes tonight. If anyone with greater insight into the Portuguese Bwin Liga has any advise or additions that could help my bets, JC Tips perhaps.?? I would be much appreciated. :ok Cheers and good luck
:nana:nana:nana:nana

Re: Champions League (Mar 5th) Hi guys, Just wanted to say I've been reading this forum the past few weeks and want to thank you for some great tips. Tonight I followed Chelsea to score first, Real-Roma over 2.5, Porto to win, Liverpool to win, Airdrie to win, Coventry-QPR & Arbroath-Dumbarton both to draw. A cheeky 5iver paid £170!. The last few minutes were intense! haha. Excellent, keep up the good tips!. :clap PMacca