** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April I'd love to see Calzaghe fight Pavlik that really would be a superfight. Haven't heard Calzghe talk of fighting him at all though so I don't think it will happen, but we all know money talks.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April I met Calzaghe at The Derby last year & there are no heirs & graces with this fella, he is just a really nice bloke who was happy to mix with all the people in the marquee tent (most of whom were looking at Jo-Emma better looking from behind than the front to be honest!;)) I watched the fight on replay this morning & thought he had him from about Rd 6 & the crowds reaction to the below the belt punch was great for Calzaghe's confidence.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April I thought Hopkins did well for the first few rounds but then didn't really show much at all. It was not the most entertaining fight but that was down to Hopkins spoiling tactics. There were about 3 rounds that were uneventful and could have been scored either way. I felt Calzaghe had taken it by a few rounds but even he looked quite shocked he got the decision. I was surprised by how quickly his head cleared after the knockdown and there were specific odds before the fight on Calzaghe to get knocked down but still win the fight, hindsight is a wonderful thing. :wall I believe Calzaghe was 11-8 to retire undefeated before last night, wonder what price is now on that happening? As Bowles says seems like a really decent bloke, had a hard time after his split with the Mrs but seems to have his head sorted now. Nice to see that all nice guys don't finish last. :ok

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April

many people might have thought US judges would always be giving Hopkins the benefit of the doubt.
Definitely agree that this probably had a large effect on the way the betting stood. I backed Joe on pts pre fight but laid back some on Hopkins to win just before halfway as I was wary that the close rounds may have been scored to Hopkins advantage.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April answer me one question, how did frank warren know the result before it was announced by buffer????? he came in that ring looking smug as fcuk. perhaps sports network and goldenboy, did a little deal on the side. Because who is better to market in the future a 43 year old who will probably retire now, or a undefeated 36 year old.

He's a journeyman who has always been on the fringe of world class but never really stepped up to the plate for any prolonged period of time. Not only that Johnson brings nothing to the table for Calzaghe.
so, he beat roy jones didnt he, which makes him a better opponent in my eyes. Johnson deserves a big fight himself, after being robbed against dawson. again johnson lost because, lets face it whos better to market a 39 year old whos lost 12 times. or dawson 25 and unbeaten???? It's Boxing politics, and its turning me :puke:puke. And if pavlik fought calzaghe what weight would it be at. cos calzaghe aint gonna come back down to supermiddle now.

answer me one question, how did frank warren know the result before it was announced by buffer????? he came in that ring looking smug as fcuk. perhaps sports network and goldenboy, did a little deal on the side. Because who is better to market in the future a 43 year old who will probably retire now, or a undefeated 36 year old.
How do you know he knew? Perhaps he'd managed a sneaky glance at the cards. Perhaps he was just happy at putting another million on his bank balance. Who knows? Surely the real money would have been in the draw and Calzaghe V Hopkins II in Wales? No one would have batted an eyelid at a draw after that fight. I can't understand boxing conspiracy theorists with fights like this. The result was obvious, Joe did enough. I had someone telling me a few weeks ago that Hatton/Mayweather was fixed to end in the 8th,it was obvious apparently. I wondered why Hatton bothered getting his face smashed in only to take a dive. Some people just have no boxing, or common sense.