** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Hmmm. I wonder how low the odds were during certain points in the fight? :unsure I thought when the first score of 114-113 to Hopkins came in, it didn't look good but the other two judges must have been impressed by Calzaghe's work-rate over the 12 rounds. I dunno about Joe winning 9 of the 12 rounds there (I didn't think he won it that convincingly) with one judge scoring it 116-111 but Hopkins was always on the backfoot and I suppose the judges weren't impressed by that. Joe was turning his back a few times and I thought that might have counted against him but it didn't. Hopkins was being a hugger not a slugger. 12/1 for Calzaghe to be knocked down and win the fight!? GODDAMN IT!! :loon I wonder what happens after this though. Will he have another fight at light heavyweight or go back down to super middleweight? I don't think he's going to retire when the huge paychecks are still there and that the US audience are probably going to be split positive/negative about this performance. I hope the British media don't go crazy on Monday morning. Go crazy by all means if he equals Rocky Marciano's unbeaten record in three fights time though. Roy Jones, Jr is almost begging to come over to the UK to fight Joe Calzaghe but it's probably the dollar signs he's seeing rather than any sense. I don't think Kelly Pavlik wants to fight Joe Calzaghe.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April I suppose there will be more than a few opinions and hopefully not just from Hopkins' camp and those who are talking out of their pockets in thinking that Bernard Hopkins got robbed but it'd surely be subjective rather than objective. I'm not watching the post-mortem on this but any talk of a rematch is silly. Bernard Hopkins and interested parties would love it but it's most likely going to be another dragged-out hugfest and HBO surely aren't going to be interested. Calzaghe's fought someone seven years younger than him (Kessler) and someone who's seven years older than him (Hopkins). Who's next!? Hmmm. Just having a quick look at BoxRec over at Kelly Pavlik's record and his next fight is against Gary Lockett...who's Welsh. You couldn't write a cornier script if Joe Calzaghe's sitting in the audience rooting for Gary, and then after the fight he goes into the ring to challenge Kelly Pavlik (which would never be Joe's style as he's more dignified and classier than that). It'd be a helluva fight that's for sure because it'd be an absolute war (well going from Pavlik's style anyway). It'd be interesting to see how the bookies would price Calzaghe vs. Pavlik. I've been quietly touting Pavlik's chances in the past but he caught me by surprise by the ease of his victories against Jermain Taylor as well as his almost meteoric rise to being middleweight #1 right now. Joe Calzaghe's next fight is most likely going to be in the UK if not in Cardiff as a 'reward' for all the UK fans (probably against some hapless tomato can) but the money must be tempting for him to stay in the US and to show this wasn't a fluke. As many plaudits Calzaghe will get from this win, he's still going to have the detractors who still won't think of him. I have to say I'm half-and-half as saying that he did well to go through that and still win.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April I disagree about the decision (those in the Hopkins camp anyhow). Calzaghy was by far the busier, BY FAR, and although Hopkins landed the harder punches Calzaghy was on top for a vast majority of the fight Even losing 2 points in the first with the knockdown I cannot see how Hopkins would have won that on points. Didn't do enough in my book at all to win a decision, although credit to him, he did well and was always in the fight.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Next opponent would be interesting but it would have to be a step up from Hopkins, and as I said, I would be worried about Pavik/Jone Jr etc He would have to hurt these to get a decision imo and not rely on work rate, and against these I dont know if he could

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April hes done all he needs to do in my opinion and hes proved himself home and away , there is always gonna be someone considered better etc , if he aint that desperate for some more dollar signs he should just retire a true champion and not run the risk to tarnish his record (maybe thats easier said than done though)

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April If Calzaghe vs. Pavlik is going to happen this November/December (which isn't out of the realms of possibility) then I think the UK books will make Calzaghe a slight favourite probably 8/11 Calzaghe, 'evens' Pavlik because they'll underestimate Kelly and there might be a huge weight of patriotic money on Joe to continue his unbeaten run. The Las Vegas and offshore books would most likely be more cautious and want to side with Pavlik purely because the 'smart money' will be on Pavlik and that the general US audience weren't that impressed by Calzaghe's performance against Hopkins, and that they'll be baying for blood in wanting Pavlik to beat Calzaghe up. The thing I would say as regards any final words is that Calzaghe generally didn't hurt Hopkins and along with TheRat I have to agree if he faces Pavlik/Jones Jr he's going to have to hurt 'em to win. OT: A thing I read back in November was that Joe should have been given a knighthood for beating Mikkel Kessler. Tchuh! Knighthoods have been given out for much less though. Even though Joe Calzaghe is arguably Britain's most successful boxer ever (if one is to only go by win-loss record alone then definitely, yes. Duh!), one cannot complain too much if Joe Calzaghe announced his retirement and just stay 45-0 but there will always be the lingering doubt from the naysayers about the caliber of his previous opponents (and not just from me! :lol).

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April

Spot on mate, No danger did Joe take it, i'm in shock, ALL the big shot were landed by hopkins- FACT
That means fcuk all. FACT. Hopkins looked good for the 1st 3 rounds, he really spoiled Calzaghe's work on the inside by beating him to the punch then locking Calzaghe's right arm. At that point it looked like Hopkins was coasting to victory. But once Calzaghe found his range and started landing on the way in all Hopkins did was back away, hold and turn his back. There's no way you can give him rounds if that's all he's doing. Not only that, at no point after the 1st did Calzaghe look in any kind of trouble, he was always the keener to fight, always coming forward and the one landing all the shots. Hopkins was knackered by the 7th, hence the impromptu breaks for low blows. I called it as Calzaghe's during the fight and my only gripe is I didn't put my money where my mouth was. Mainly because i didn't trust the US judges and thought Calzaghe would need to even up the knockdown. With regards to Pavlik, we're getting all the arguments as we did against Lacy. Too young, too strong, too explosive, bang in form. I believed them then, I wouldn't make the same mistake again. Calzaghe is 100% class.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Today's Bettingzone Market News: 1110: The Betfair in-running market called it totally wrong in the Joe Calzaghe-Bernard Hopkins fight as the Welshman was available at 4.6 to win the fight at the final bell – the biggest price he had been at any stage of the contest. Calzaghe started the fight as a 1.4 chance on Betfair, with Hopkins at 3.9 and the draw 27. But Hopkins soon assumed the favourite's tag in the fight, knocking down his opponent in the first round and dominating the early stages of the contest. Hopkins himself traded at a market low of 1.4 in the fight, but Calzaghe got stronger as it progressed. But at the final bell, Betfair punters thought Hopkins’s early superiority had clearly been enough, and made him the heavy odds-on favourite to get the verdict, with Calzaghe available at 4.6, the biggest price he had been on offer in the fight on the betting exchange. The draw had been backed as low as 10. But while judge Adalaide Byrd agreed with the Betfair market and thought Hopkins had done enough to edge a 114-113 verdict, Chuck Giampa (116-111) and Ted Gimza (115-112) both scored in favour of Calzaghe. Betfair spokesman Tony Calvin observed: "I can't readily recall the last time a Betfair in-running market, one which saw over £1.7m traded and with all the evidence at its disposal, got it so badly wrong. "Or maybe the reality is as someone on our forum put it - perhaps the Betfair market got it right, but the judges didn't."

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Glad that Joe got the call. He deserved it, for sure. Although when the first score came in I was thinking it had all gone wrong and the US judges had sided with B-Hop. Hopkins showed NOTHING, a total spolier. Never lose to a white boy - ha! Roy Jones Jr in Cardiff next - then retirement IMO.

(1) Calzaghe didnt do enough to win the fight (full stop) (2) forget pavlik, i'd rather see calzaghe fight Glen Johnson (who roy jones lost to, and who was robbed last week)
1) He did (full stop) 2) Johnson is not in the same league as Calzaghe. He's a journeyman who has always been on the fringe of world class but never really stepped up to the plate for any prolonged period of time. Not only that Johnson brings nothing to the table for Calzaghe.

That means fcuk all. FACT. Hopkins looked good for the 1st 3 rounds, he really spoiled Calzaghe's work on the inside by beating him to the punch then locking Calzaghe's right arm. At that point it looked like Hopkins was coasting to victory. But once Calzaghe found his range and started landing on the way in all Hopkins did was back away, hold and turn his back. There's no way you can give him rounds if that's all he's doing. Not only that, at no point after the 1st did Calzaghe look in any kind of trouble, he was always the keener to fight, always coming forward and the one landing all the shots. Hopkins was knackered by the 7th, hence the impromptu breaks for low blows. I called it as Calzaghe's during the fight and my only gripe is I didn't put my money where my mouth was. Mainly because i didn't trust the US judges and thought Calzaghe would need to even up the knockdown. With regards to Pavlik, we're getting all the arguments as we did against Lacy. Too young, too strong, too explosive, bang in form. I believed them then, I wouldn't make the same mistake again. Calzaghe is 100% class.
There's no comparrison between Pavlik and Lacey. Pavlik has already beaten Jermain Taylor twice quite convincingly, and Taylor beat Hopkins twice quite convincingly, you can't knock that record imo.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Sportinglife.com: Now Jones Eyes Calzaghe Roy Jones, Jr seems suspiciously keen to fight Joe Calzaghe. I don't think 'begging' (which I've said before) would be too strong a word to describe it. More of today's Bettingzone Market News: 1130:Joe Calzaghe is now odds-on with Ladbrokes to retire undefeated following his split decision victory over Bernard Hopkins. The Welshman, who has now won all 45 of his fights, is 4/7, from 11/8, not to experience defeat and 8/1, from 14/1, to surpass Rocky Marciano's 49-0-0 record. Ladbrokes spokesman Nick Weinberg said: "Calzaghe has said that he plans to quit the sport in 2008. "The chances are he'll have one more fight and will go into that bout, regardless of who it's against, as an odds-on chance to improve his record." The 36-year-old is 20/1 to win the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year Award. ============= Well if it's a lean year at the Olympics and say, Joe Calzaghe beats Roy Jones, Jr on November 15th the 20/1 for him to repeat as BBC Sports Personality of the Year is absolutely huge.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Yeah listened to the commentary on Radio Wales last night as well as watching the fight, and Jones was very hopeful of fighting Calzaghe in Wales(UK) and you are correct in saying it wasn't short of begging for a shot.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Betfair spokesman Tony Calvin observed: "I can't readily recall the last time a Betfair in-running market, one which saw over £1.7m traded and with all the evidence at its disposal, got it so badly wrong. "Or maybe the reality is as someone on our forum put it - perhaps the Betfair market got it right, but the judges didn't." Couldn't have put it better myself. Thousands of punters thought Hopkins won the fight, conversly 2/3 judges had Calzaghe winning it. I'm with the majority. end of the day thats what is so fantastic about boxing, its all about opinions before, during and after the fight! As for whats next for Calzaghe... I'd be surprised if it was Hopkins again, wouldn't be much point for either fighter, Joe won with the judges and if you heard Hopkins at the end he believes he won with the fans (I believe betfair illustrates this). Surely its gotta be pavlik, would be a great fight, i honestly think Joe would rather have jones jnr though as he is past his best but the bigger name i.e more money, easier fight. For the record i'd take pavlik and i'd probs take Jones as well (odds dependent). Joe won but did not impress me at all. Hopkins is 4 years past his best and Joe is at his peak, 4 years ago this would have been an early stoppage for Hopkins.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Most people I have spoke to personally agree Calzaghy won the fight, some think Hopkins. But its the same with the scorers, and that's why it was a split decision and not unanimous

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Just found out that listening on the radio puts you 5 seconds in front of the telly. Could be handy when you get a puncher in the ring in any fight :unsure Set up your Betfair screen for the big win, and patiently wait for the punch, then hit 'submit' fcuking quick. :ok KERCHING!!! :lol :lol

There's no comparrison between Pavlik and Lacey. Pavlik has already beaten Jermain Taylor twice quite convincingly' date=' and Taylor beat Hopkins twice quite convincingly, you can't knock that record imo.[/quote'] Fair point. I think this fight will have to happen if Calzaghe wants to seal his legacy though. On the Betfair point, boxing is unusual in that a) you don't actually know the score until the end b) you don't know what the judges are scoring Personally I think too many people had been blinded by Hopkins good work early on and many people might have thought US judges would always be giving Hopkins the benefit of the doubt. With this in mind it's easy to see how the punters could have got it wrong so badly.