** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April

Today's Betting Market News: 1045: The hype has begun ahead of Joe Calzaghe's fight with Bernard Hopkins - the pair started their tour of the US yesterday - but Ladbrokes are seeing money for only one man. Punters are "rushing in" to back Calzaghe, according to the Magic Sign, who make him a 2/5 shot to win April's light-heavyweight contest. The Welshman has attracted over 80 per cent of all bets to date with the firm. Spokesman Nick Weinberg said: "Despite it being the first time Calzaghe has fought stateside, and at light heavyweight, punters are still rushing to back him. "The even money about Calzaghe winning on points has also proved very popular." Calzaghe can be backed at 1/2 with totesport for victory in Las Vegas on April 19. Hopkins is 15/8 to win the fight with Ladbrokes, although 9/4 is available elsewhere.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Got to say I'm finding it bloody hard to get excited about this fight. I just can't decide on Hopkins. His two recent wins have been fairly emphatic points decisions and we all know he's got one of the best defences going so he's not going to get battered a la Lacey. Problem is I just can't see him troubling Calzaghe coming forward, which will leave Calzaghe to just slip in and out all night and land scoring punches. No doubt he's not going to land as many as normal but unless Hopkins really ties him up (and Joe is as good at that as anyone too) I just can't see him winning. On the other hand this IS Bernard Hopkins. Hmmm.... Got to be Calzaghe on points hasn't it?

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April

Got to say I'm finding it bloody hard to get excited about this fight. I just can't decide on Hopkins. His two recent wins have been fairly emphatic points decisions and we all know he's got one of the best defences going so he's not going to get battered a la Lacey. Problem is I just can't see him troubling Calzaghe coming forward, which will leave Calzaghe to just slip in and out all night and land scoring punches. No doubt he's not going to land as many as normal but unless Hopkins really ties him up (and Joe is as good at that as anyone too) I just can't see him winning. On the other hand this IS Bernard Hopkins. Hmmm.... Got to be Calzaghe on points hasn't it?
:ok Spot on

• 1 month later...

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Hmmm. A month-and-a-half gone by and nothing much has changed. Today's Bettingzone Market News: 0730: Joe Calzaghe is the overwhelming favourite with punters to beat Bernard Hopkins at the weekend, say bookmakers William Hill. "Over 90 per cent of the bets we have taken so far have been for Joe, and with our turnover already approaching six figures, we have cut his odds from 8/15 to 1/2 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go off at 1/3 or even shorter," said Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe. "The Welsh are enjoying a fantastic sporting year so far with Wales winning the Grand Slam and Cardiff in the Cup Final, so the momentum should certainly be with Joe. If he wins convincingly he could well finish Hopkins' career." Hills have eased Hopkins' odds from 11/8 to 6/4 and the draw is quoted at 16/1. 1130: Ladbrokes are 4/11 from 2/5 about Joe Calzaghe winning his bout with Bernard Hopkins following a run of money. And the bookies report that the Welshman is attracting five bets for every one placed on the Executioner. The Newbridge fighter is 11/8 to remain undefeated in his professional career and 14/1 to eclipse Rocky Marciano’s 49-0-0 record. Ladbrokes spokesman, Nick Weinberg, said: "Calzaghe’s step up in weight and the location of the fight has not put off patriotic punters who want to be with their man at all prices." Hopkins is 2/1 to inflict a first defeat on the undisputed super-middleweight champion.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Yea, Calzaghy on points for me too personally looking forward to this fight a lot. May not be a belter, but just supporting Joe is enough to make me up for this fight

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Well I suppose you could never fault Bernard Hopkins' ability in selling the fight to the public but I question his methods. Why play the race card? Sportinglife.com - Hopkins Questions Joe's Credentials Most folks are predicting Calzaghe will win this with ease. I can't really disagree but I don't think Joe will win with such ease. This is almost a lose-lose situation for Joe whatever the outcome. If Joe wins as expected the naysayers will tout that Hopkins is 43 years old and well past his best, and that Joe will have to fight at least two more times in the US to convince the US public who still appear to be sceptical. For British boxing interest this IS the fight of the year so far.

Well I suppose you could never fault Bernard Hopkins' ability in selling the fight to the public but I question his methods. Why play the race card? Sportinglife.com - Hopkins Questions Joe's Credentials Most folks are predicting Calzaghe will win this with ease. I can't really disagree but I don't think Joe will win with such ease. This is almost a lose-lose situation for Joe whatever the outcome. If Joe wins as expected the naysayers will tout that Hopkins is 43 years old and well past his best, and that Joe will have to fight at least two more times in the US to convince the US public who still appear to be sceptical. For British boxing interest this IS the fight of the year so far.
Same problem he had with Lacy. If he lost, the critics were right all along, if he won Lacy wasn't as good as the press made out. I'm not a big fan of Calzaghe, this fight should have been happening 5 years ago.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Aye but hey, boxing politics and freak injuries prevented the first proposed meeting back in 1999. Much of what I said back in November still applies (Gadzooks! Calzaghe was 'evens'!? :eek). You don't need me to tell you that Bernard Hopkins still has an enviable record (despite the two losses to Jermain Taylor) and is of course, considered the number one light heavyweight around right now (does that say something about the light heavyweight division!? :\). I just hope if Joe wins that the hype from the British media doesn't become incredibly stupid like it is want to. I've no idea how the extra weight will affect Joe. Joe has a minor height and reach disadvantage compared to Hopkins. It will almost certainly go the distance as these two are very well capable of. It might not be a classic to watch but it should still be very, very interesting. This is probably Joe's first true acid test. I don't get what Bernard Hopkins says to be honest. I don't think the US media have been hyping Joe Calzaghe's chances like they did with Ricky Hatton against Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Mind you they're not supporting Bernard's cause either! I suppose that's what you get trying so damn hard to be the 'bad guy'! :lol

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April last week i was 85% sure of a Calzaghe victory but held of putting my money down as i wanted to see how the week would go. even though odds have shortened i'm glad i didn't lump on, i'm worried about his state of mind. I just watched the weigh in, he looks far too sure of himself, i know most boxers are but its not Joe's style, almost as if hes trying to sell himself to Vegas and America which makes me nervous about where his head is at. I'm really unsure at the moment, i'm going to track the market very closely over the next 24 hours and decide what to do nearer the time. i'll post my bet when i've made my final decision.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April In boxing it's so easy to get carried away with pre-fight interviews and weigh ins but im still with Calzaghy 2.02 on points. I just think he will be too quick and the work rate will tell as I cannot see a KO at all. Interesting, I think Joe is 8-1 to be knocked down and win which may be decent, but not on it personally Regardless I cannot wait for this

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April The worrying thing is the mind games and the potential 'dirty fighting'. Has Bernard Hopkins riled Joe Calzaghe enough to mess with Joe's game plan? As iluv says Joe didn't seem to be his usual self at the weigh-in (I've never seen Joe be that confrontational at a weigh-in) but the pundits put a little bit of that down to the fact that Joe IS feeling good and that he's at a 'natural weight' as opposed to having to slim down which means he's usually on an 'edge' and thus a 'bundle of nerves' when it comes to the weigh-in (I've never really noticed). Was listening to BBC Radio Five's preview and I think they're doing a better job of hyping the fight up than Setanta are. I suppose the problem is that there aren't any of the 24/7 pre-fight hype shows (the Hatton/Mayweather and Mayweather/De La Hoya ones were good) and only ONE 'Countdown to Calzaghe-Hopkins' preview show. The general opinion over at Boxing Scene forums share a similar sentiment. Although the potential rewards for Calzaghe beating Hopkins seems minuscule compared to what Hopkins would get if he beat Calzaghe, it's absolutely worth it. Just don't get beat, Joe. Just don't get beat. :hope The few opinions I've read on US gambling wesbites and forums are that most of 'em are siding with Hopkins because of the 'value'. Yesterday's Bettingzone Market News: 1335: Joe Calzaghe takes on Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas in the early hours of Sunday morning and Sky Bet are offering a range of markets on the big fight, including 12/1 for Calzaghe to get knocked down but win the fight - his first in the USA and his debut as a light-heavyweight. Calzaghe, who is undefeated in 44 fights, is 1/3 favourite with Sky Bet to win in Vegas with Hopkins the 12/5 outsider and a draw quoted at 16/1. Seven years Calzaghe's senior, Hopkins has been the underdog in his last two fights against Antonio Tarver and Winky Wright and managed to win both. The Welsh have excelled this year in sport with Grand Slam victory for their rugby team and Cardiff reaching the FA Cup Final and Sky Bet are offering a number of special doubles on how the Welsh fare this weekend. It’s 5/1 for Calzaghe to beat Hopkins and Ryan Giggs to score against Blackburn, 8/1 for a Calzaghe victory and Mark Hughes' Blackburn to beat Manchester United and 100/30 for Joe to win and Cardiff to lift the FA Cup next month. calzaghe-hopkins-19Apr08-sb-special.jpg 1245: A Ladbrokes internet customer has wagered £18,000 on Joe Calzaghe beating Bernard Hopkins ahead of their much-anticipated fight this weekend. The Welshman is 4/11 to extend his 100% professional record, whilst the Philadelphian is 2/1 to emerge victorious. Ladbrokes spokesman Nick Weinberg said: "Calzaghe continues to attract the vast majority of bets ahead of his American debut." The undisputed super-middleweight champion is 11/8 to remain unbeaten for the duration of his career and 14/1 to surpass the legendary Rocky Marciano's 49-0-0 record.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April I really really hope Calzaghe wins here tonight :hope BUT this is in Las Vegas and one thing that happens in Las Vegas is a lot of dodgy decisions! The Ref has been picked especially in my eyes to counter act against Calzaghe's style like in Hatton fight! Judges in Las Vegas are always the source of much controversial points scoring and this being the gambling Mecca of the world, just makes me say things don't look good for Joe before he even throws a punch in anger! My heart says Calzaghe... But my head says Hopkins on points! .

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April I've thought Calzaghe all along but having really thought about it there's a lot of negatives for Calzaghe. His first fight at Light Heavy, fighting overseas (for only the 2nd time) and fighting the trickiest opponent he has ever faced. I hope Joe wins but I think it could be Hopkins on points.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April I've got a feeling about this after the weigh in. Hopkins looks wound up as fcuk, doesn't look confident at all to me. I thjink Calzaghe on points is the likely outcome but I'm going to have a little snifter on Calzaghe by stoppage. 2pts on Calzaghe by TKO, KO or DQ at 5s with betinternet. Give him hell joe:hope

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April I think this good be a great trading opportunity for punters. Hopkins is currently 5.8 to win on points and I think he's certain to trade a lot lower during the fight. Both are not known for posessing truly knockout power so I'm sure the fight's destined to go the distance.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April just stuck some money on calzaghe to win by knockout can still get 4/1 at some places worth it at those odds i hope common joe do the ayatollah after you have smashed him to the floor for the 3rd time bloobirds

last week i was 85% sure of a Calzaghe victory but held of putting my money down as i wanted to see how the week would go. even though odds have shortened i'm glad i didn't lump on' date=' i'm worried about his state of mind. I just watched the weigh in, he looks far too sure of himself, i know most boxers are but its not Joe's style, almost as if hes trying to sell himself to Vegas and America which makes me nervous about where his head is at. I'm really unsure at the moment, i'm going to track the market very closely over the next 24 hours and decide what to do nearer the time. i'll post my bet when i've made my final decision.[/quote'] I have flip flopped completely from my initial thoughts of a Calzaghe victory, initially as i said i was 85% sure of a win for the Italian dragon, now i'm honestly 50-50. I disagree with the boys on setanta who have just said they believe Joe is mentally fine, I think they are being a tad patriotic. Calzaghe looks unsettled to me. Furthermore Hopkins has also been a heavy underdog in 2 of his more famous fights against winky (2-1) i believe and a 5-1 shot when he shocked Felix Trinidad! I think hes best when up against it and i just picked him up at 3.5 (5/2) to win tonight, as my head is 50-50 i had to take hopkins! Can't wait for the fight now!

If Calzaghe had made commnets about Hopkins being black then all hell would have broken lose' date=' as its a white man nothing is done[/quote'] that annoyed me quite alot as you said if was other way round joe would be a racist and disgrace to britain let alone wales hope he gives him a good hiding and sends him packing

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Joes got the tools to take B-Hop apart, think he'll have to aswell, cant see the American judges tipping it in Calzaghe's favour if its close, he'll have to stop him or give him a relentless beating for 12 rounds. will take a chance on Calzaghe win by KO,TKO & DQ @ an appealing 4.8 on BF.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Am I right in saying that I have found an arb with this fight tonight. You can back Calzaghe on Points @ 2.06 and you can lay Calzaghe to win by decision / technical decision @ 2. Am I right in saying that no matter what happens you can profit on it one?

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Think we're all in agreement, Calzaghe to win on pts is the most likely outcome. Not sure 2.04 is value though, at home I would be a big backer of Calzaghe on pts at 4/5. 4/9 to go the distance, again is likely but probably just a notch or three too short. Will mess around for a bit of fun; Calzaghe to win in 7,8,9 (48,32,32 betfair) Pony on each and £75 on the 2.04 pts win to save. Come on Joe!

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April Not had a bet yet, i'm waiting till as late as possible. All the way up to the Hatton V Mayweather fight I thought Ricky would win but about an hour before when they showed dressing room coverage he looked on edge and it seemed like confidence had drained from him, the delays looked like they had affected him. I want to see what Calzaghe and Hopkins look like before the fight and on their way to the ring. Hopkins has been there and done it on the big stage but if Calzaghe is as good as some feel he should be good enough to take Hopkins apart. I've felt for a long time that Calzaghe will retire undefeated but I also said that about Naseem Hamed and look what happened there. Calzaghe does not always stick to the game plan, sometimes sees the red mist and goes all gung ho, he did it against Kessler and by the 4th I was worried he was going to get taken out but it seemed to shock him back into boxing instead of getting involved in all out war. I hope he does not get frustrated and overdo it trying to knock Hopkins out but that might be what is needed unless it's a comprehensive points win, scoring heavily in every round. I currently feel Joe could win this by stoppage but he should have stopped Lacy when he was out on his feet and Setanta just replayed that, couldn't quite get the job done by KO that night but was still awesome. Let's see if Joe looks nervous by fight time. He claims he hasn't fought abroad often in the past due to a fear of flying, if he loses tonight the critics will all roll out the home fighter excuse, I hope he does the business, we haven't got many British champions left, they all keep getting their asses kicked.

All the way up to the Hatton V Mayweather fight I thought Ricky would win but about an hour before when they showed dressing room coverage he looked on edge and it seemed like confidence had drained from him' date=' the delays looked like they had affected him.[/quote'] Agree. I thought the betting was 'wrong' with that fight. I backed Hatton, laid half back when I saw him in the dressing room and laid the other half back when I saw him entering the ring. So didn't play. He was beaten then.

Re: Boxing: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - Saturday 19th April To me if there was ever a fight that had a draw written all over it this must be close to it , as alot of the people on here i am pretty sure it will go the distance , and i predict although calzaghe will be the better fighter i think it will end in a dodgy draw decision. Gotta be woth a small investment at odds of 21.00 i think. :)

Agree. I thought the betting was 'wrong' with that fight. I backed Hatton, laid half back when I saw him in the dressing room and laid the other half back when I saw him entering the ring. So didn't play. He was beaten then.
You could see it in the weigh in though. Wound up so tight it was obvious that he was going to go after Mayweather and have EXACTLY the same happen to him as every other fighter who has ever gone after Mayweather. Yesterday it was Hopkins looking tense, I think there's a seed of doubt there. Calzaghe on the other hand looked like he was just ready to fight his fight. Parcel force up next on Setanta, anyone think Audley can win a title?