** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition)

Ok guys, December 1st sees the start of the new daily competition for all members new and old. Simply put down your 'Best Bet Of The Day' whether it be Win, EW or a Lay. All bets submitted must have a brief explanation as to why its your best bet. Zulu will provide a table and the winner each month will recieve an award in their profile. Rules

• One bet only per day, posts with multiple selections will be void.
  • Win, EW or Lay selections allowed
  • Stakes will be worked out to 1pt win, 1pt Lay or 0.5pt EW (all SP only)
  • If no stake posted the default bet will be 1pt win.
  • Reasoning must accompany any selections for them to count.
  • Minimum 10 bets per month to qualify for monthly award
  • Lay bets must be 4/1 or under in F/Cast betting in Racing Post to qualify.
  • All totals set to zero at the beginning of each month

All bets to be posted in the 'Bet of the Day' thread which will be set up each day, if the thread hasnt been set up and you need to post, feel free to start the new thread with 'Bet of the Day' and the date** in the title. Good luck everyone

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) I'll get things rolling then... Abragante 0.5pts E/W Looking to take on Denman in the Hennessey, and I think Abragante has a very good chance of being involved in the finish. Runs off a good mark, is unbeaten in blinkers and looks like the distance will also suit. Unfortunately, Timmy Murphy is injured, but I am sure that Davy Russell is a more than capable deputy.

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) Nice one Alex! Spartacus Bay 12.50 Towcester 1pt Win Very well thought of before injury forced a lay off, came back with a decent run at Aintree when the stable was not in such good form. Takes on a very ordinary bunch tomorrow and should take this on his way to much better things.

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition)

Nice one Billy! Dom D'Orgeval @17.00 Bet365 0.50 pts EW - 2.40 Newbury .
Good luck Jonesy, just a couple of things, we need reasoning of some sort for it to count and all bets will be settled at SP. I'm sure everyone will get used to the rules after a few days.

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) Sorry Billy! I put up a whopping big reasoning in the Hennessey Gold Cup Race thread! :ok

Good luck Jonesy' date=' just a couple of things, we need reasoning of some sort for it to count and all bets will be settled at SP. I'm sure everyone will get used to the rules after a few days.[/quote']

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) Ok guys, the rules for the new competition (thanks to BillyHills) are now available here. Please give thhem a read... Its not specifically mentioned in the rules, but please either Copy and Paste your reasoning into the Best Bet of the Day thread, or if your technologically enabled link to it. Good luck guys!!

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) Moved from lay of the day thread :$:$ Don't know if this is still running...... :tongue2 DENMAN IN THE 2.40 Newbury DENMAN will have to show Gold Cup form to win here and humping 11st 12lbs against a class field will be a tough ask. he could also need the race and although the horse could turn out to be a superstar he has still to prove that he is up to winning off this sort of mark. remember even KAUTO STAR could give the weight on his first run. At around 7/2 as to be a lay for me ;)

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) New Alco 2.40 Newbury Expected to run a big race today withthe step up in trip likely to suit (has run over 26F finishing 2nd to D'Argent), ground should be spot on and can take this with the penatly for that 11L romp at Carlisle. WIN.

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) Snowy Morning 2.40 Newbury Was beaten 10 lengths by Denman at Cheltenham and has a 18 pound pull today for that beating today which should be enough to overturn placings. Tony McCoy is also a major plus. The ground will have no problems for Snowy Morning the one thing on my mind is that the Willie Mullins stable has been a bit quite of recent.

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) 1.35 Newbury Percussionist 1pt win Trainers form this week has been excellent & he brings this one down from the north. Won by 19L on its chasing debut last season at Wetherby. Was a decent performer on the flat but needs soft ground which it gets today. Looks on a decent mark for its first handicap.

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) 2.05 Blazing Bailey 8/1 available 0.5 pts e.w A big price here imo. Ok a poor run last time but a couple of the trainers horses have needed the run this year and the trainer has indicated it has worked well since. Loves it softer and has beaten this lot before when it is more of a test and I really think it has improvement especially considering it is quite young which on the World Hurdle evidence, would not have to be too much. A real decent e.w price and i would be a touch surprise if it gave anything like its running it was not in the three at least.

2.05 Blazing Bailey 8/1 available 0.5 pts e.w A big price here imo. Ok a poor run last time but a couple of the trainers horses have needed the run this year and the trainer has indicated it has worked well since. Loves it softer and has beaten this lot before when it is more of a test and I really think it has improvement especially considering it is quite young which on the World Hurdle evidence' date= would not have to be too much. A real decent e.w price and i would be a touch surprise if it gave anything like its running it was not in the three at least.
At Newbury. Hope the new comp runs well.

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) 7.55 Wolverhampton Fast Feet (nap) Hard to believe this one still being a maiden in 9 starts, on his form eariler in the season he would walk all over these. Was running in class 2 races! Is so speedy drop back to 5 furlongs today is a massive plus and drawn 1 is ideal. I'd be shocked if this one looses today he'll jump out and the others won't see which way he's gone. If he's anything like the 2/1 in the post I'd be amazed!

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) 3.40 Newbury - Denman The gold cup 2nd fav is top weight, but top class as well. And the words from Nicholls, that the horse faces a huge task, made him drift to 5/1 again. I'll take 5/1 anytime though. Exellent horse, who can definitely win this today. Yard woldn't have planned for this race if he wasn't ready. And something very speculative as last reason for my bet. Denman's owner is a big gambler, which makes me think these words from Paul Nicholls are "delibarete", so the owner can get a better price :loon P.S. 6.80 @ Betfair, I never though I'll get this for him :hope

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) Character Building 2.40 Newbury 1pt WIN Character Building has a lightweight 10-0 to carry and one of the lighter horses might take this with the ground turning soft and looking to make Denmans chance harder to carry top weight around in these conditions. It will definitely get the trip, loves soft ground and looks capablke of improvement which will definitely be needed. Trainer has laid it out for this race and states: Quote:

It's a big ask but he's in good nick and apart from the Scottish National, which was my fault, he's been very consistent. He's in good form now and I feel there's a big one in him.”

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) Glad to see this up and running and also great to see the interest it has gathered. Tempted by Character Building today but I think his attitude is questionable. Instead I will go for: 3.00 Newcastle Two Miles West A competitive race but with the going on the softer side I think it will pay to go with a horse off a lower weight. Jonjo O Neill's yard is in decent form at the moment and their runner in this has been ultra consistent. He started off his chasing carreer with 2 victories over 2 miles and 2 1/2 miles. In the middle of these was a dissapointing run behind Bagan. However, that was a mickey mouse race run at no sort of pace and wont have utilised this horse's stamina. In his first try at 3 miles over fences he wasnt disgraced when finishing 5th at Chepstow. His last run over 3m 2f showed that staying is his game when a running on 2nd to front runner Naunton Brook. Richie McGrath tends to ride hold up horses well and I think they will settle him at the back of the field and bringing him with a late run. 0.5 pt EW

3.40 Newbury - Denman The gold cup 2nd fav is top weight, but top class as well. And the words from Nicholls, that the horse faces a huge task, made him drift to 5/1 again. I'll take 5/1 anytime though. Exellent horse, who can definitely win this today. Yard woldn't have planned for this race if he wasn't ready. And something very speculative as last reason for my bet. Denman's owner is a big gambler, which makes me think these words from Paul Nicholls are "delibarete", so the owner can get a better price :loon P.S. 6.80 @ Betfair, I never though I'll get this for him :hope
Get in :nana

Re: 'Best Bet Of The Day' Dec 1st (new competition) 9.20 Wolverhampton 12 runners to contest this 7f Class 6 handicap. Quite an open contest here with Hits Only Jude and Ceris Star at the fore of the betting market. However, as usual, I'm going EW on a bigger priced one in: Minnow (0.5pts EW) - Big price here for a horse that, in my opinion, has been crying out for this trip. Habitual slow starter and this horse has been coming late in its races over 5f and 6f. Now stepped up to 7f and should be thereabouts at the business end. Dropped 2lb in the handicap too which is another positive. Is 1 from 2 at Wolverhampton, so acts on the track. Raced twice in Dec last year, and won both of those too. Is in decent form too with some nice staying on efforts but never quite getting there. Jockey claims a valuable 7lb, so will have no weight to carry. If this horse breaks ok today, I think 12/1 will look a massive price.