** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League - 28th November

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League - 28th November

Does anybody know why Celtics' group play their next Champs League match next midweek and the rest are a week after?
Milan are involved in another tournament ( Super cup I think ) and it would clash with the Champions League games. This is what Im lead to believe anyway mate!

My picks for Wednesday: Liverpool-Porto Liverpool has enough quality to beat any team on the planet but they've been very inconsistent this season (we never know which Liverpool will show up for this game...will it be Dr Jekyll or will it be Mr Hyde?). Porto has some good quality as a team and if they can keep a clean sheet in the 1st 30m they can surely pull a good result at Anfield. Porto coach has also admited that a draw would be a good result (meaning, he'll be playing for the draw and not taking many chances only looking for a counter attack where they can score through Quaresma or Lizandro Lopez). I see Liverpool as slight favourites but I don't think it will be easy. My pick: away +1/+1.5AH (Asian Handicap); Besiktas-Marseille In order to keep their hopes alive (remote hopes in terms of CL but still some good chances of making it into the UEFA Cup next stage) Besiktas must win tomorrow. Marseille is getting good results so far this season in the CL but they have not impressed me at all. I expect them to be playing for the draw but it is hard to play in Turkey (Porto players said after their recent game there against Besiktas that they've never seen anything like that in their careers...that's how impressive the athmosphere was). My pick: home PK; Rosenborg-Chelsea Rosenborg is doing well in the CL so far, they're usually dangerous and hard to beat at home and they'll be all pumped up for this game where a win could assure them a spot in the next stage of the CL. Chelsea is a better team but I don't think it will be easy for them tomorrow. My pick: home +0.5/+1AH; Benfica-Milan For Benfica this is a must win situation, either for them to keep their remote hopes of qualifying to the next stage of the CL alive or to, at least, qualify to the next round of the UEFA Cup. The "only" difficulty is that their opponent is...Milan, the current CL title holders and a great team with players like Kaka, Seedorf and Pirlo among others. Milan has been very inconsistent this season but they still manage to be top of their group in the CL. Tomorrow they'll miss Inzaghi, but they have more than enough quality replacements in Gilardino and Ronaldo (who just got back to action). Benfica's coach said they'll have to be smart and that they'll play to win. I'll be at the stadium right behind his bench making sure he (Camacho) gets it right :lol. My pick: home 0/+0.5AH; Werder Bremen-Real Madrid Bremen is not very consistent this season and tomorrow they'll be without main keeper Wiese, star playmaker Diego, midfielder Frings and striker Hugo Almeida. Too many important players missing IMO. Real has all the quality it takes to get a win here and secure 1st place in the group. My pick: away 0/-0.5AH; Good luck! JC
Season has been great but the last couple of days in the CL were not so good. There are things nobody can predict when placing a bet, like a coach "inventing"...and Porto coach decided to "invent" BIG TIME tonight making two major changes in the team (I can see Porto fans being really, really pissed off because of that and I surely hope he does the same mistake next Saturday away to Benfica...). He left out Pedro Emanuel, Porto's best Centre back IMO, and replaced him with Stepanov - a mediocre defender who doesn't usually play and in one of his rare appearances was responsible for Porto's recent draw against Amadora in the Portuguese League by playing a useless handball in the area...and he did the same stupid trick again tonight...he was also never able to handle Torres. He also left out Portuguese International Midfielder Raul Meireles playing in his place Polish Kazmiarzack who never played this season as a 1st team regular... ...OK, he's the coach and he's the one making the decisions but they were surely strange (he's gonna have a hard time explaning it to the fans) and the result speaks for itself... Also tonight we saw a mediocre Real Madrid team that couldn't beat a Bremen reserve tream and could have been trashed by a greater goal margin. 1. lost 2. won 3. lost 4. push&won 5. lost At least Benfica played a great game and completely outplayed Milan who after the first 20 m just sat at the back and defended, defended...Benfica is playing well and surely gave them hell tonight but, again, they just weren't able to score. Well, tomorrow is another day and I surely hope to get back on track. :cheers JC

Does anybody know why Celtics' group play their next Champs League match next midweek and the rest are a week after?
More exactly, Milan will play the Club World Cup in Japan. UEFA agreed to change the date of their last UCL match to get them some extra days off before Milan's trip to Tokyo. And since it the last match date the other game had to be moved too to avoid any unfair advantage. F.

Re: Champions League - 28th November Fantastic result for the Bhoys! had to laugh at yer man dougie writing us off after 19 mins, must be of the Rangers persuasion. All hail to McGeady, havent seen the goal yet and tbh was watching the BBC internet text and shaking my head whilst at work, but then 1 final hit on the 'refresh' button and there it was...........2-1. Havent had much luck in the CL this year but the double with Liverpool last night was effin brilliant. :beer

Re: Champions League - 28th November Liverpool did not play bad or very good, they did what they had to do! The game started well for Liverpool and then the last 10 minutes of first half they suddenly stopped playing and let Porto in who then should have scored a 2nd before half time! Truth be told the 1st gaol for Porto should have been a foul on Mascherano as he was pole axed by the winger before he got the cross in for the striker to head home! Whoever states Liverpool were crap in this game obviously has no knowledge of football - Liverpool Porto Possession

57%43%

Shots on target

Shots off target
Corners
Fouls
(taken from BBC Sports Site) The 2nd half was inevitably edgy from Liverpool to begin with until Torres slotted home the 2nd goal. Liverpool then for the last 15 minutes looked like they could score whenever they went forward. Porto's zonal marking is not good and if Liverpool were any better at the set pieces, then the scoreline could have been even more! This league table is not over yet for Besiktas, Marseille, Porto and Liverpool and makes the final league game for each team a must win game as the financial implications of making it to knockout stages as very lucrative in deed. Liverpool looking dead and buried after the first 3 games have risen from the grave and you would be folly not to fancy them to get that all important win in Marseille - after beating Besiktas 8 nil, then Porto 4 v 1 respectively.

Re: Champions League - 28th November Hi folks, can someone recommend a site where i can get teams and shirt numbers for Euro / Champs league games please ? I usually use sportinglife for domestic games, but they do not give this information on Euro games many thanks Big Welly

if its a crime to defend your club against sarcastic remarks then I apologise. and DD - dont remark on other clubs - keep your sarcasm either to yourself or the playground. .
Sorry not getting involved, no crime just opinion so I take it no apology is forthcoming!!!!!!!! Hardly sarcasm however it may be an idea to practice what you preach ie England etc. Back to your glass house with your silly remarks!

That's out of order and not acceptable on here Nastro' date=' I assume an apology is forthcoming?[/quote'] ;) No apology was demaded from that ''nindza'' guy, he simply got banned. Bring him back in, he was certainly entertaining and never used abusive language, spiced up this forum well for 2 nights. Bring him back on a sole condition to change his name to The Fix Man :lol

if its a crime to defend your club against sarcastic remarks then I apologise. and DD - dont remark on other clubs - keep your sarcasm either to yourself or the playground. .
We're not here to defend clubs like 5 year olds, sorry but your "dickhead" remark was that of a 5 year old. We're here to bet and make profit, not playground crap, so if I see that again Nastro, you will get a 24 hour ban I promise, because it's childish and not acceptable.

Re: Champions League - 28th November Sorry Paul but I feel the need to defend Nastro here. if you take a look at this DD guys previous history with regards to betting on Celtic games is to state that celtic will get hamerred and to bet strongly on whoever Celtic are playing. Now a main part of the pl rules state to give decent reasons behind your tips. This guy's only reasoning is simply to slate Celtic at every opportunity and use that as an excuse to back the other side. An extremely "childish" reason for backing a team in such a big fixture. DD's resentment towards Celtic most likely stem from his associatopn with Rangers and the unfortunate West of Scotland bigoted attitude he has towards his teams rivals. His views that Celtic would not have a hope in hell at home against shakhtar were indeed narrow minded and "childish". OK Nastro's comments were a bit strong, but the point he was making was more than justified. A threat of a ban is indeed harsh here in my opinion.

Sorry Paul but I feel the need to defend Nastro here. if you take a look at this DD guys previous history with regards to betting on Celtic games is to state that celtic will get hamerred and to bet strongly on whoever Celtic are playing. Now a main part of the pl rules state to give decent reasons behind your tips. This guy's only reasoning is simply to slate Celtic at every opportunity and use that as an excuse to back the other side. An extremely "childish" reason for backing a team in such a big fixture. DD's resentment towards Celtic most likely stem from his associatopn with Rangers and the unfortunate West of Scotland bigoted attitude he has towards his teams rivals. His views that Celtic would not have a hope in hell at home against shakhtar were indeed narrow minded and "childish". OK Nastro's comments were a bit strong' date=' but the point he was making was more than justified. A threat of a ban is indeed harsh here in my opinion.[/quote'] Whilst I haven't looked into any previous comments from DD, it's still a playground reaction and a 24 hour ban is more than justified for anyone who thinks they can start insulting people in any forum bar GC or Sports Banter, where it is an entirely different matter. This is the champions league betting forum, not the champions of the playground forum.