** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets

ok have been waiting for an opportune moment to start a few more ante post cheltenham bets. Always a good time to try to pick up some decent prices (those who found Sublimity at 450/1 last year will know!) I have what i feel is a decent yankee to keep backing each week to make a nice bet. Voy per Ustedes (to win the QM for 2nd year) 9/2 Katchit (to win the Champion Hurdle) 7/1 Franchoek (to win the Triumph hurdle) 8/1 Denman (to win the Gold Cup) 5/1 3 of those are Alan Kings but all 3 are wirth their place & the important thing for me is they are all course winners & fit the profile for the race. Denman must win the Henessey if he is to be as good as Kauto star was last season. I think the horse could be another star for Nicholls & Ruby will find it hard trying to pick. The strange thing is that Ruby wont be riding either on their next run due to his injury. This is my next ante post bet. Denman to win the Hennessey @ 5/1 (dec 1st) :nana:nana Onto the festival itself, I have a couple of long range bets that i will follow: Noble Request 44.0 Arkle Chase State of Play 120.0 Gold Cup Desert Quest 130.0 Champion Hurdle Labelthou 80.0 Sun Alliance Chase Each horse above represents decent value on my book & these will be followed through the season.
ok, so the price drifted back to 5/1 from 7/2 yesterday but what a horse & for the 2nd year running i find the Hennessy winner ante post :ok

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets Macs Joy @ 25/1 e.w for CH. Looking back at the post I suggested it was a weak division and I believe further in that now so if and it is a big if, Macs Joy recreates its second to Brave Inca in 2006 I think it goes extremely close and probably wins. Obviously it does not work like that but even still a price is being offered. It actually is running over further today but I do not think that this is meaning it is moving up further in trip by Cheltenham as Hardy Eustace say is. Hoping for a decent run today.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets 2 big races at Cheltenham coming up this Saturday. Boylesports international Hurdle & Boylesports Gold Cup Leading players are Hurdle Sublimity, Katchit, Macs joy, Afsoun, Jazz messenger Gold cup New Little Bric, Abragante, Il duce, Palarshan, Knowhere etc Will be looking closely at the trends for these but i wouldnt back Abragante in a month of sundays, i dont think the horse is genuine & i would rather back something i know will give a good account. Nicholls has the likely fav New Little Bric which looks on a handy weight for this. Katchit is unbeaten at Cheltenham so will need to be at its best to beat those older horses up the famous hill especailly against the Champion Hurdle winner sublimity.

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets Just been looking over the Welsh National for some time and after narrowing it down to just the six runners I have come up with two which I'm backing the current favourite Miko De Beauchene and Geeveem @ 11/2 and 20/1 both have a very nice weight, fit all the trends and both have had this race mapped out for sometime. both have had recent prep runs running very well. Both stay well and both should have there ideal ground the more rain the better for Geeveem. 1pt Miko De Beauchene @ 11/2 boylesports 1pt e/w Geeveem @ 20/1 corals

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets There is a horse running at Exeter tomorrow called Master Minded. You wont know the horse as its a french import into Nicholls stable & owned by the now legendary Clive Smith (Kauto Star). The race only has 4 runners & i am sure it will start very short. They think this one could go to the very top & at 4yo could even enter the QM chase at Cheltenham (i took 80.0 last night). This is good information from the people that own the horse, however to win a race of that magnitude would take some doing for a horse not seen on a British racecourse yet. :hope for a sound debut tomorrow, but this could be worth following for a few seasons to come especially after the owners success with Kauto star.

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets Ante Post Royal and Sun Alliance Chase Mark the Book @ 33/1Really looking forward to this one's chasing debut and I gave it serious thought for the TTTF and it could well be a future star for Hobbs. Ran second on hurdle debut but then put up two very impressive wins before blowing out having travelled at short odds on its start. Possibly it was just put out too soon that time having won earlier in the month. Taking a chance on ho wit will jump but Hobbs' are not normally sloppy and trip no real problem. Speculating but if all goes well it could be a real contender for Cheltenham in maybe the RSA 33/1, not sure they will go Arkle. So will have 7.5 pts e.w @ 33/1 ahead of its start today, a gamble but worth it for a smallish stake at those odds. Tidal Bay who is in my TTTF, is a market leader but it is still not certain as if it will go RSA or Arkle.

Just been looking over the Welsh National for some time and after narrowing it down to just the six runners I have come up with two which I'm backing the current favourite Miko De Beauchene and Geeveem @ 11/2 and 20/1 both have a very nice weight, fit all the trends and both have had this race mapped out for sometime. both have had recent prep runs running very well. Both stay well and both should have there ideal ground the more rain the better for Geeveem. 1pt Miko De Beauchene @ 11/2 boylesports 1pt e/w Geeveem @ 20/1 corals
Miko returned @ 13/2 but well happy managed the winner especially with my record in the big handicaps :nana

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets Wins Now makes it seasonal reappearance tomorrow in a very hot beginners chase. I really like this horse who ran well at both Cheltenham and Aintree over hurdles. Should be better suited to fences and I'm on at 20/1 with Coral for the Arkle. Tomorrows race is a tough one, facing Nicanor, the horse having the distinction of being the only one to have beat Denman.

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets Antepost - Champion Hurdle Aitmatov 30/1 betfair I think this horse looks real quality, the race he won at fairyhouse is looking as though it could be good form with Sweet Kiln & Glencove Marina in behind. On paper he has beaten Sizing Europe but SE was very unlucky when travelling like the winner. With this being such an open market, I think this is a great price.

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets just sticking one in here for my old man who comes up with a few for Cheltenham using his methods. He thinks like the rest of us that the Champion hurdle is wide open this year & that EBAZIYAN could be the one to come good on the day. I have looked at its form & conclude: Hurdles career is 2/24, 1/18, 1/22, 8/9, 4/7, 5/7, 3/8, 4/6 Interestingly its form in small fields isnt as good as that in a larger field. It won at Cheltenham festival last season beating GRanit Jack & Amaretto Rose in the Supreme Novices hurdle. Any hurdle win at the track in previous year is a pointer to at least a place at the following festival so certainly 33/1 currently looks decent for an ew bet. I was not put off by its 4th place in the hurdle race last week in Ireland as they always seem to race up each other's backsides in Ireland & i find the horses that act at Cheltenham will do so again irrespective of how it ran earlier in the season.

just sticking one in here for my old man who comes up with a few for Cheltenham using his methods. He thinks like the rest of us that the Champion hurdle is wide open this year & that EBAZIYAN could be the one to come good on the day. I have looked at its form & conclude: Hurdles career is 2/24, 1/18, 1/22, 8/9, 4/7, 5/7, 3/8, 4/6 Interestingly its form in small fields isnt as good as that in a larger field. It won at Cheltenham festival last season beating GRanit Jack & Amaretto Rose in the Supreme Novices hurdle. Any hurdle win at the track in previous year is a pointer to at least a place at the following festival so certainly 33/1 currently looks decent for an ew bet. I was not put off by its 4th place in the hurdle race last week in Ireland as they always seem to race up each other's backsides in Ireland & i find the horses that act at Cheltenham will do so again irrespective of how it ran earlier in the season.
Another intersting point about that Supreme Novice win last year from Ebazyian is that the time of that race is very favourable with the Champion Hurdle itself that day and only fractionally outside the actual Champion Hurdle time. I do not think there was a lack of pace in the Champion hurdle either. I certainly recall that Hardy Eustace and Brave Inca were at each other throats from about half way and the fact both of them were pretty legless especially Hardy Eustace suggests a strong gallop. So I think that run by Ebazyian as a novice remember has to put it in with a real Champion Hurdle chance in such a weak race this year imo, it may have even done last year :eek The other one from that Supreme Novice race that may interest me when I see it is De Valira. It finished down midfield that day but it travelled well enough for a long time before a mistake and going into that race the trainer was in terrible form and he has admitted that later so whilst that run may not have been brilliant there are excuses. The form around that run is pretty decent as well. It has beaten the likes of Catch Me and Sizing Europe who is about third or fourth fav for the CH. One to watch if it comes out.

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets There are only about 9 weeks to Cheltenham. I have published my horses in my thread today (there will be more but these are the ones i have backed so far this year). I am now looking at backing the following in these races, wherever Tidal Bay runs it will start favourite so just thinking of getting some value now: Arkle Tidal Bay 8/1 awaiting plans for Hobbs Hill, Lead on & Skys the limit Champion Hurdle Katchit 10/1 Ebaziyan 33/1 R&SA chase Lead on 25/1 Tidal Bay 10/1 World Hurdle Wichita Lineman 6/1 (on target for race this year) Triumph Hurdle Franchoek 6/1 (already backed & advised 9/1)

There is a horse running at Exeter tomorrow called Master Minded. You wont know the horse as its a french import into Nicholls stable & owned by the now legendary Clive Smith (Kauto Star). The race only has 4 runners & i am sure it will start very short. They think this one could go to the very top & at 4yo could even enter the QM chase at Cheltenham (i took 80.0 last night). This is good information from the people that own the horse, however to win a race of that magnitude would take some doing for a horse not seen on a British racecourse yet. :hope for a sound debut tomorrow, but this could be worth following for a few seasons to come especially after the owners success with Kauto star.
runs again tomorrow at sandown. hope it will jump better tomorrow & show what it can do :ok

There are only about 9 weeks to Cheltenham. I have published my horses in my thread today (there will be more but these are the ones i have backed so far this year). I am now looking at backing the following in these races, wherever Tidal Bay runs it will start favourite so just thinking of getting some value now: Arkle Tidal Bay 8/1 awaiting plans for Hobbs Hill, Lead on & Skys the limit Champion Hurdle Katchit 10/1 Ebaziyan 33/1 R&SA chase Lead on 25/1 Tidal Bay 10/1 World Hurdle Wichita Lineman 6/1 (on target for race this year) Triumph Hurdle Franchoek 6/1 (already backed & advised 9/1)
Some good looking bets there mate, I really like the look of Wichita Lineman at 6/1 he'd had an ideal prep this season and to me looks a banker so I'll will be helping myself to the 6/1 aswell :ok

There is a horse running at Exeter tomorrow called Master Minded. You wont know the horse as its a french import into Nicholls stable & owned by the now legendary Clive Smith (Kauto Star). The race only has 4 runners & i am sure it will start very short. They think this one could go to the very top & at 4yo could even enter the QM chase at Cheltenham (i took 80.0 last night). This is good information from the people that own the horse, however to win a race of that magnitude would take some doing for a horse not seen on a British racecourse yet. :hope for a sound debut tomorrow, but this could be worth following for a few seasons to come especially after the owners success with Kauto star.
Master Minded wins yesterday (3/1 available early) & is now on course for Cheltenham. I did take the 80.0 available on the champion chase but i think it will prob go for the Ryainair chase instead. I didnt see yesterdays race but will take a look at it today sometime.

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets From my jumps thread, this is where i stand currently on Cheltenham. I will no doubt add some horses along the way.

Horse Name

Race

Best Price

Bookie

Price taken

Ashley Brook

Champion Chase

Betfair

Tidal Bay

Arkle Chase / R&SA Chase

9.00 / 11.00

Hills / Tote

State of Play

Gold Cup

Tote

Snap Tie

Ballymore Nov Hdle

Tote

Franchoek

Triumph Hurdle

Ladbrokes

Vodka Bleu

Lead on

R&SA Chase

Skybet

Halcon Generlardais

Gold Cup

Hills

Inglis Drever

World Hurdle

Hills

Denman

Gold Cup

Ladbrokes

Katchit

Champion Hurdle

Ladbrokes

Sky’s the Limit

The Listener

Ryanair / Gold Cup

11.00 / 41.00

Bet365 / Hills

Kauto Star

Gold Cup

Corals

Voy Per usetedes

Champion Chase

Sporting odds

Wichita Lineman

World Hurdle

Betdirect

Master Minded

Champion Chase / Ryanair

26.00 / 14.00

Hills

Ebaziyan

Champion Hurdle

Betdirect

Breedsbreeze

Ballymore Nov Hdle

Tote

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets There is very strong word coming for forpaddytheplasterer for the ballymore novices hurdle at cheltenham. Apparently the horse is just getting better and better after his second to whatuthink over christmas. Im normally not a big ante post bettor but just lettin you guys know that he is a serious horse and would advise getting on before he runs again. Hes currently trading about 30's and can i see nothing but that getting smaller.

There is very strong word coming for forpaddytheplasterer for the ballymore novices hurdle at cheltenham. Apparently the horse is just getting better and better after his second to whatuthink over christmas. Im normally not a big ante post bettor but just lettin you guys know that he is a serious horse and would advise getting on before he runs again. Hes currently trading about 30's and can i see nothing but that getting smaller.
trading at 75.0 on betfair mate :ok I nearly had a massive win with McKelvey in last years National, who I had backed at triple figure prices around this time last year and was crushed when he just just beaten into 2nd place. I'm going to have another bash this year and one that stands out as being certain to trade smaller on the day is MON MOME. Ive backed it on betfair at prices ranging from 150.0-170.0 and am struggling to see why he deserves to be that price. Rarely out of the frame in high class long distance races last year, he showed himself to be a solid jumper, who travels well in his races and has also showed a liking for Aintree. His official rating suggests he would receive a fair racing weight if lining up on the big day. He last raced off an OR of 142. Lets assume he has a rating in the mid 140's by April, which would grant him a weight of around 10stone 13lb's, which is great. Yet to prove he would stay 4 1/2 miles of course but his 2nd place behind Halcon Generledais over 3m 5f in soft ground about a year ago, looks good form and bodes well stamina wise. He was mentioned for the race last year but Venetia Williams thought it was a year too early so ruled him out - she seemed to be keen on a crack at the race for this year so all being well, I would expect him to line up.

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets I've just checked the betfair market and it seems I have also backed RAMBLING MINSTER @ 85.0 for the National, although I cant remember doing it :lol I've had a look at the form and it seems a decent bet at this stage, winning form over 4m, a good jumper and goes on the likely good ground that will be about in April. I really fancied this one at Cheltenham last year and promised myself to keep an eye on him after he had an unlucky run there - A current rating of 141 looks fair on what he's achieved. The only spanner in the works would be whether he lines up or not. Unlike Mon Mome, I cant find any indications from the stable that Rambling Minster will be ained at the National and he went for the Scottish equivalent last year. At a price of 85.0, ill take a risk.

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets Supreme Novices Hurdle:

I’ve been looking at some of the markets for the forthcoming festival and have seen one I like in the Supreme Novices hurdle in THEATRE GIRL. Lets get the negative out of the way in that the current favourite, Khyber Kim, beat Theatre Girl last time out – but not by much, only a couple of lengths with the pair of them 24 lengths clear of the 3rd :eek After several good efforts in bumpers, most notably at Aintree, where the first 2 again pulled clear, she got her hurdling campaign off to a good start, winning in a good time at Wincanton.

Despite no form at Cheltenham as yet, she has hinted that the stiff finish will be up her street. Mares have a decent record in this race too, partly due to the 7lb weight allowance they receive, which will give her a 5lb pull over Khyber Kim from their running last time out. She is trading at 3 times the price of the favourite, which seems too big. Must have big each way claims.

Supreme Novices Hurdle: THEATRE GIRL each way @ 25/1 bet365

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets R&SA Novices Chase:

One that caught the eye prior to Christmas was GOLD MEDALLIST on his chasing debut and his first run for 3 years after injury. This one was favourite for the R&SA Novices hurdle in 2005 so was obviously held in high regard and was only beaten 3 ½ lengths in that.

Finishing runner up to TidalBay on his reappearance was a massive run, not only because the winner looks a serious horse (he is favourite for both this race and the Arkle) but also because he was only beaten 2 lengths. There’s little doubt that TidalBay had a fitness advantage and Gold Medallist is entitled to come on for that run. Tidal Bays connections are hinting that he will be dropped back in trip to tackle the Arkle, which would make Gold Medallists chance even more interesting.

R&SA Novices Chase: GOLD MEDALLIST each way @ 20/1 bet365

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets Nice posts there AK I had a look at the times of the Supreme Novices hurdle & the champion hurdle over last 6 years. 2007 Ebaziyan 3m 56.1s Sublimity 3m 55.7s Soft 2006 Noland 3m 54.5s Brave Inca 3m 50.0 s G/Soft 2005 Arcalis 3m 53.0s Hardy Eustace 3m 51.5s Good 2004 Brave Inca 3m 55.6s Hardy Eustace 3m 54.5s Good 2003 Back in Front 3m 56.8s Rooster Booster 3m 54.7s Good 2002 Like a Butterfly 3m 54.7s Hors La Roi 3m 53.8s G/soft Ebaziyan's time ranks 5 out of 6 but its was on the worst ground. Therefore I assume it would rank as one of the better times. Comparisons with the Champion hurdle times show that Hardy Eustace & Brave Inca victories were in a strong run race hence the faster times. Last years victory was the slowest of these 6 years but again was run a soft surface. However, if you compare the differences between the 2 races, Ebaziyans is the closest to the Champion Hurdle time in same year at only 0.4s slower.

Nice posts there AK I had a look at the times of the Supreme Novices hurdle & the champion hurdle over last 6 years. 2007 Ebaziyan 3m 56.1s Sublimity 3m 55.7s Soft 2006 Noland 3m 54.5s Brave Inca 3m 50.0 s G/Soft 2005 Arcalis 3m 53.0s Hardy Eustace 3m 51.5s Good 2004 Brave Inca 3m 55.6s Hardy Eustace 3m 54.5s Good 2003 Back in Front 3m 56.8s Rooster Booster 3m 54.7s Good 2002 Like a Butterfly 3m 54.7s Hors La Roi 3m 53.8s G/soft Ebaziyan's time ranks 5 out of 6 but its was on the worst ground. Therefore I assume it would rank as one of the better times. Comparisons with the Champion hurdle times show that Hardy Eustace & Brave Inca victories were in a strong run race hence the faster times. Last years victory was the slowest of these 6 years but again was run a soft surface. However, if you compare the differences between the 2 races, Ebaziyans is the closest to the Champion Hurdle time in same year at only 0.4s slower.
I made this point a few posts ago that the comparison between the times of the 2007 CH and Supreme Novices compares favourably to the Supreme Novice race and not so favourably to the CH of 2007 and you highlight this here with the actual figures. An explaination of this could be that with a small field the 2007 CH there was not much of a strong gallop but I am not so sure. Certainly the way I recall the race was that from about half way out Brave Inca, Hardy eustace were at each others throats and the way these two normally brave finishers of a race, were almost legless at the end, especially Hardy Eustace suggests to me that there was a strong enough gallop. For me this just shows further evidence that the CH was not that strong last year, in fact I would say weak, how it fell into Sublimity's hands and that the Supreme Novice was a fairly decent race last year. Ebazyian's form this season does not justify a CH winner tag at the moment but as the trainer has said, in England, off a fairly strong pace and reasonable ground (won on soft last year although realistically it was not) it is not out of the equation. The problem is there are a good 20ish I reckon who are possible winners to imo.

I made this point a few posts ago that the comparison between the times of the 2007 CH and Supreme Novices compares favourably to the Supreme Novice race and not so favourably to the CH of 2007 and you highlight this here with the actual figures. An explaination of this could be that with a small field the 2007 CH there was not much of a strong gallop but I am not so sure. Certainly the way I recall the race was that from about half way out Brave Inca' date=' Hardy eustace were at each others throats and the way these two normally brave finishers of a race, were almost legless at the end, especially Hardy Eustace suggests to me that there was a strong enough gallop. For me this just shows further evidence that the CH was not that strong last year, in fact I would say weak, how it fell into Sublimity's hands and that the Supreme Novice was a fairly decent race last year. Ebazyian's form this season does not justify a CH winner tag at the moment but as the trainer has said, in England, off a fairly strong pace and reasonable ground (won on soft last year although realistically it was not) it is not out of the equation. The problem is there are a good 20ish I reckon who are possible winners to imo.[/quote'] Yep, cheers Woody, it was actually your point i picked up on about the times & hence why i looked at them over a number of years. My dad is very keen on the horse & i was doing this for him to back up his argument. The horse only has form Jan/Feb & March so ignore anything previous. We should be able to tell from the irish champion hurdle on 27th Jan where it will face the best of these albeit i think Cheltenham brought out the best in this horse last year, so as long as its in the 1st 5 i will be happy. These are the key trends i did for the Cheltenham race: Key trends (updated with Sublimity's win from last year) 10/11 won last time out with the other finishing 2nd 9/11 won a graded race LTO (5 @ Gr1, 3 @ Gr2 & 1@ Gr3) 11/11 ran LTO in Jan or Feb 4/11 won AIG champion hurdle in Ireland before the festival 9/11 had 4 or more runs in the season 7/11 came into the race seeking a hat trick 10/11 had previous festival form 8/11 had won at a previous festival 10/11 were aged 6 to 8 9/11 were priced 10/1 or lower 0/11 were 5yo 7/11 were irish trained 5/11 were favs so the winner will be a horse that won LTO, is aged 6-8, ran LTO in Jan/Feb, had previous festival form, & had 4 or more ruins in the season!

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets I see Pricewise has tipped up Snowy Morning at 50/1 for the Gold Cup. That was on Monday, now he is just 25/1 in places.... It is amazing how much influence he has, especially considering he has not been in that great form this season...

I see Pricewise has tipped up Snowy Morning at 50/1 for the Gold Cup. That was on Monday' date=' now he is just 25/1 in places.... It is amazing how much influence he has, especially considering he has not been in that great form this season...[/quote'] That's exactly what I was thinking. I think he does quite well on the flat but not great over jumps and is a bit overrated for the influence he has. It means you could lay it off at a lower price though if you ever manage to get the odds he suggests.

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets Nearly impossible to get those odds though, as soon as the bookies read his tips they start slashing odds. Personally, I don't think Snowy Morning has a chance in hell of winning the Gold Cup. Saw him at Newbury in the Hennessey and was VERY easily beaten. I know he has gone back to Ireland and won a couple of races since, but he is in a different league to the Nicholls pair and Exotic Dancer...

Re: Jumps Season 07/08 - Notebook & Ante Post Bets This could be interesting.:ok Taken from The Guardian & the much respected Ron Cox. Betting on next month's Totesport Trophy Hurdle at Newbury has yet to take off but, after the publication of the weights yesterday, stand by for a run on Jack The Giant at 8-1. He has been confirmed a definite starter by his trainer, Nicky Henderson, who has won this valuable handicap four times since 1998. Jack The Giant, set to carry 10st10lb, has won all three starts this season and the handicapper is still playing catch-up so far as his hurdles rating is concerned. He is up 12lb from the mark off which he won The Ladbroke, but Jack The Giant is still 12lb under his chase rating and proved his wellbeing by winning a good race over fences at Leicester last week.