Betting on your own side?

I'm interested to see people's opinion on this. I'd guess there would be 2 sets of opinion: 1) Never bet on your own side, when there's allready emotional interest involved you should stay clear financially. 2) You watch your own side week in week out, therefore you know them better than any other side so are best placed to beat the bookies who probably don't know as much about them as you do. Football wise I tend to stick with option 1 mainly as I support Swansea City, a League 1 side, so the markets available are not extensive (and besides we're quite inconsistant anyway). However, with rugby I bet on most Ospreys and Wales matches. I won every single bet on the Ospreys in this year's Heineken Cup (6/6) and won most of my Celtic League bets. With Wales I am about 50/50 but got 2/2 on the recent Australia tour. I don't know whether because Ospreys are a top team it makes it easier. Firstly because they are on TV alot so I can see all of their game snot just ones I go to, or because they won alot more than they lost this year meaning I was more comfortable beting on them to win. the handicapping system of betting also helps in rugby as there is plenty of scope for me to lose my bet but Ospreys still getting the win (as they often start 10+ pts favourites) thus making me feel not so bad. This brings me onto what could be called group 3 - consolation betting ie deliberately betting smallish amounts against your own side so you'll feel less dejected if they lose. I have to admit to doing this a few times this season in both sports. So I'm wondering, what are everyone else's views on this? From my own experiences it would seem it is easier to bet on matches involving your own side if your own side is successful and start as favourites. Does anyone find any different?

Re: Betting on your own side? i have an unwritten rule about not betting ON the city (Cardiff ;)), which i very infrequently ignore. by betting against the city, at least if we lose, i have a consolation prize! it does become difficult when emotions get in the way, but if you are able to handle them, then you can make it pay for you. 2 things that spring to mind; 1) to keep a seperate record of your bets upon/against your own team, because of the nature of these bets, they have to be seen as different to your other/normal bets 2) despite the best knowledge about your own team, you cannot fully get that knowledge about the opposition and this must be remembered.

I Football wise I tend to stick with option 1 mainly as I support Swansea City,
the one part of your post that let you down :sad ;)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.