** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

STT's play theory, call or fold early with a premium pocket pair

robilaruk

Re: STT's play theory, call or fold early with a premium pocket pair just wanted someone else to do the maths first - just to make sure I hadn't cocked it up! Damo ext results appended to pokerstove.txt 12,057,152,184 games 17.719 secs 680,464,596 games/sec Board: Dead: equity win tie pots won pots tied Hand 0: 49.436% 47.65% 01.79% 5745065148 215485194.00 { KK } Hand 1: 21.913% 20.98% 00.94% 2529148356 112893996.00 { 99+, AJs+, AJo+ } Hand 2: 28.652% 26.70% 01.95% 3219307488 235252002.00 { JJ+, AKs, AKo }

Re: STT's play theory, call or fold early with a premium pocket pair

No - it's great - never realised you could do it :loon
If you click on "Player x" you get a screen with two tabs. One is called "cards" and you can put in specific cards, the other is called "preflop" (not very descriptive!) and you can put in ranges of cards ... or at least I think that's what it does, I haven't actually read the documentation. Or I think if you know the language you can just type in ranges.

Re: STT's play theory, call or fold early with a premium pocket pair Going back on topic - I bought sit-and-go Power tools (on the recommendation of Dan Harrington!!) but have never used it :$ This looks the ideal "question" for it - will dig out my serial and redownload :$

Re: STT's play theory, call or fold early with a premium pocket pair KK I would call. 7.5 times bb raise followed by two all ins - one a good player. There is only so much analysis you can do before second guessing yourself. Call and hope. If you don't play KK what will you play?

Going back on topic - I bought sit-and-go Power tools (on the recommendation of Dan Harrington!!) but have never used it :$ This looks the ideal "question" for it - will dig out my serial and redownload :$
I think what it will tell you is just a combination of what Poker Stove and the Independent Chip Model do, so you probably won't learn anything new ... although you may learn it quicker!

Re: STT's play theory, call or fold early with a premium pocket pair I am not saying don't play KK, but given the original premise, can we lay it down and still beat 5 others with a shot at the cash? - we are only 50/50 to win, so as we are a better player than the others is there any value in gambling in this position? - Thats my question (BTW starting stacks 1500 and 15/30 blinds structure - I said this as I play on Boss and thats what it is there) Damo

KK I would call. 7.5 times bb raise followed by two all ins - one a good player. There is only so much analysis you can do before second guessing yourself. Call and hope. If you don't play KK what will you play?

Re: STT's play theory, call or fold early with a premium pocket pair I posted this thread as I wanted to gauge how aggressive folks think we should be early on - this is what happened level 1 15/30 about the 6th hand in, I have AA UTG & made it 120 to go, UTG+1 shoves, CO calls, button calls and BB calls - they all have around the 1400-1600 chips and I am stuck with AA against 4 players, and no side pot of any worth to play for really, (prolly about 300 chips or so) I figured I had about a 50/50 chance to win and folded. As it turned out i would have won and had just over 7K in chips but I folded and went out 4th in the end! so is the best strategy to take the 50/50 coin flips early, or given the original premise, fold and move on? I am still unsure Damo

Whether a real or fictitious hand' date=' the "right or wrong" answer will come from analysis of the hand as provided slapdash or Fatboyfat .... NOT by what actually happened in the hand ..... as we know - anything can happen in one hand - they might both have 72o and hit full houses!!! But that doesn't mean you are wrong to call all in against 72o x 2!!! Concentrate on making the right decisions, not what actually happens after you have made the decisions ....[/quote'] surely knowing what they really have helps us analyse the hand?

Re: STT's play theory, call or fold early with a premium pocket pair yes and no - if you know folks shove shite, then logically if you are a 80/20 favourite then you should call (mathematically) however, if you a better player than half the table, and are in a coin flip situation, should you gamble early or wait and pick your spot? and thats what I am trying to figure out (with everyone else's help) - should I gamble with AA KK QQ early against 3/4 players in a 'pre-flop all-in' situation if I believe I can beat half the field by just playing solid poker throughout? do the chips I gain early 'guarentee' me placing ITM? Cheers Damo

but the best play definately depends on what your opponents are likely to be calling/raising with..