** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Posting Blinds when sitting at a cash table

GaF

Paying blinds, on a full 10 seat table, entitle you to a full round (10 hands). 1.5 BB for 10 hands, means the cost per hand is 0.15 BB. Of course not all hands are equal - the Button is more valuable than UTG.... When I sit down on a new cash table, I have historically always waited for the BB .... thinking to maximise the number of hands I see for paying 1.5 x BB.... (I also dont leave a table until after UTG).... Was having a think tonight though .... if you join the table in a position where you have to wait for the Button to pass before you are allowed to post, then, at the cut off, you have the option of joining in for 1x BB, is it correct to join, or wait? 1 x BB is buying you 7 hands, so that's just over 0.14 BB per hand - so cheaper than posting at the BB ... of course, on the down side, you lose the Button, but on the up side, you also lose the SB and BB positions (where you are out of position after the flop).... So, what do you think is best in the cut off - post or wait? Or is the difference so small, you dont care!!!! In the PL Cash games I found myself waiting :$ Not because it was 2c, but because it was 1xBB and I always want to try and maximise my profit in terms of BB!!!!

Re: Posting Blinds when sitting at a cash table Purely from a positional aspect I would be quite happy to join a game in cut off which is, after all, the 2nd strongest position at the table. On a personal level I find it easier to concentrate once I'm involved rather than observing.

Re: Posting Blinds when sitting at a cash table i always wait until i am the BB - i can't see the point of posting in LP and then throwing it away to a raise from EP - especially if you get a marginal playable hand lik KJs and the EP raise is only 3BB, it is tempting to call for another 2BB with this hand and can cost you if you partially hit the flop, but lose to AK etc. I can't quite see how betting blind when you don't have to is a good strategy (tho am prepared to be convinced otherwise!) Damo

Re: Posting Blinds when sitting at a cash table

I can't quite see how betting blind when you don't have to is a good strategy (tho am prepared to be convinced otherwise!)
I think everybody will agree that if you post the blind you have -EV on this hand (unless you're a real God of Poker or you're playing on PKR), but the point is that you've also got yourself six more hands that you don't have to pay for. The question is whether this is worth more than you lose on the hand where you post the blind. I think it's probably quite close, actually.

Re: Posting Blinds when sitting at a cash table I always wait for the big blind...don't know if it makes a lot of difference in the long run. I think the more important point here is when should you leave? If you have a bus to catch or are pissed off and on a losing run or you are feeling tired or you need ten minutes on the bog or the kids are driving you nuts...there are loads of times when waiting till your blind turn approaches could be a very dangerous move. If I'm coming off for any of these reasons I just get off the table asap.

I think everybody will agree that if you post the blind you have -EV on this hand (unless ou're playing on PKR)
:lol:lol Not got much experience but typically I'll post the BB fee in middle or late position if it's a donkey table with an extremely high $/pot. I want to play as many as hands as possible to try and get the donkey money before someone else does. Kind of like making a marginal call because there's a donk playing, only with paying the fee instead.

Re: Posting Blinds when sitting at a cash table I'll always join in the BB - and usually leave after the Cut Off (although I do tend to play a few circuits in between - not just 4 hands !!) I've never really given it too much thought - not to the 1/100 th of a pence degree that your mentioning ! My reasoning on leaving in the Cut Off is that I'm under the impression that after the cut-off you are getting into low-profit country. I've just looked at my PT stats and find that I should maybe stay up until 3 off the Button, then leave. As from Button - to position 3 I average Winning just over 1.09 BB per Hand, yet from position 4-7 I am average Losing 0.33 BB per hand.So even though I don't have to pay to sit in those seats its costing me money to do so.

I've just looked at my PT stats and find that I should maybe stay up until 3 off the Button, then leave. As from Button - to position 3 I average Winning just over 1.09 BB per Hand, yet from position 4-7 I am average Losing 0.33 BB per hand.So even though I don't have to pay to sit in those seats its costing me money to do so.
Actually its costing you money if you dont fold every time in those positions - regardless of if you're staying or going!!! Maybe you should tighten up in positions 4-7?

Re: Posting Blinds when sitting at a cash table Of course that MAY be too simplistic - it is possible that the action he gives in these positions, adds to his profitability when getting big cards as people will be more likely to play against him....

Actually its costing you money if you dont fold every time in those positions - regardless of if you're staying or going!!!
:lol :lol :lol :lol mmmmm....... what a good idea - i'll stay on the table another 10 minutes, and fold every hand. :unsure

:lol :lol :lol :lol mmmmm....... what a good idea - i'll stay on the table another 10 minutes, and fold every hand. :unsure
Actually on a more serious note - according to PT my biggest net profit (not BB per hand) comes from when i'm in the Small Blind ?

I think it is probable that if you were to always fold in positions 4 to 7, then your profitability will go up!!! Try it!!! (ok we'll allow you to play AA and KK, but overaggressively - not slow!!! :tongue2)

So, what do you think is best in the cut off - post or wait? Or is the difference so small, you dont care!!!!
That one :lol but nah being pinickity I always wait personally unless im frothing at the mouth for some reason. Nothing wrong with posting in the cut off though. The ones I like are when people post UTG thats just great play