** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Cup matches 8/3

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Why Sevilla should win convincingly: During the winter break Shakhtar sold their captain Anatoliy Tymoschuk to Zenit Petrograd. But this won't be the only missing player today, as the Shakhtar's coach cannot field Olexandr Kucher, Mariusz Lewandowski and Ciprian Marica, what means weakened defence, midfield and attack. Another fact speaking in favour of Sevilla is the Ukrainian league started only last weekend. Sevilla surely does not want to travel to cold Ukraine with a draw or even worse result.

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Another good option is Rangers at home to Osasuna. Rangers are strong at home. The European scene is no exception. They have won all of their 4 UEFA Cup home games this season, scoring 9 & conceding 0! In fact, they have not lost at home since 9 Dec 2003 – 8/4/0 (22-6) in their last 12 European home outings (9 UEFA Cup + 3 CL). As for Osasuna, they are going through a torrid spell – 2/2/6 (4-12) in their last 10 league & cup games. Goals are a recent problem as they have hit just 1 in their last 6 outings. This goal-scoring drought is further compounded by the injury to their 3 leading scorers Roberto Soldado, Savo Milosevic & Valdo.

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Well, best bet for me is Sevilla-Shakhtar, home win with some 9/10 stakes because Im pretty sure that sevilla will be far to strong for shakhtar team. Reasoning: well shakhtar went past nancy in last round but to be honest Sevilla is much better than nancy (can you see nancy beating Barcelona???of course not) and sevilla should do everything to go to cold Ukraine with some positive result, probbably 1:0 or 2:0 as I think they will not conceede and shakhtar will try to defend from first to last minute. Considering Sevillas strenghts and Shakhtars lack of match fitness and more importante Shakhtar huge missings (primary Marica) this shoul be a fine home win:hope:hope

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 As well as Sevilla single, I will play a treble including: Sevilla Home win, Rangers win/draw, and NEwcastle win/draw, will do the reasoning a bit later as I have no time now. cheers!

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Right looking at some info. Rangers look good for a win/draw as Osasuna are without their top scorer and Milosovic, + Rangers are at home so I can see Rangers drawing at least especially as they are on form. Newcastle-win/draw, as Emre returns, as does Duff and Newcastle more or less have a really good squad to play with, I can see them at least getting a draw but most likely getting a win, i'd suggest over 2 goals but I thought that on Saturday Vs Middlesbrough so it coul dbe a tight game even though AZ don't know how to defend, but Van Gaal has said he has been training on defence of late, AZ are without their best player Mendes Da Silva keeps their midfield tight and keeps them organised. Sevilla I wasn't so sure about at 1st, but they are at home, everyone seems confident and Shaktar miss players so for me SURELY a Sevilla win? Werder Bremen i'd take to win/draw BUT i'm not sure on team news om Celta/Werder missing people, so if anyone has some that would be great? And i'd say same about Spurs but I think anything could happen in that game, especially as it's a KO that Spurs don't normally KO.

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3

As well as Sevilla single' date=' I will play a treble including: Sevilla Home win, Rangers win/draw, and NEwcastle win/draw, will do the reasoning a bit later as I have no time now. cheers![/quote'] Exactly same as me. :hope I will be doing the exactly same treble.

Exactly same as me. :hope I will be doing the exactly same treble.
I hope wi will win tonight:) but I am really afraid of AZ alkmaar away goals , they are very dangerous, but anyway should be a successful treble , waiting games tonight !!!

I hope wi will win tonight:) but I am really afraid of AZ alkmaar away goals ' date=' they are very dangerous, but anyway should be a successful treble , waiting games tonight !!![/quote'] Yeh, AZ are really an amazing team but I feel it's would be case of if AZ score Newcastle will score 2. Martins, Emre, Duff, Parker, Butt, Taylor, Given, Milner, Solano, it really is a lot of quality maybe too much for AZ, Over 2 goals would be good in this game but at 3/4 odds at Ladbrokes I will not take. I'll be doing these 3 in a Trixue JUST IN CASE 1 of them lets me down at least I would get a bit of my money back, but I am confident that they will all come in. :) I think Lens are underestimated in their odds, and so are PSG. I may do small stakes as well on over 2 goals in these games: Sevilla/Shaktar Celta/W Bremen Newcastle/AZ Braga/Spurs And do a lucky 15 on them.

EventGlasgow Rangers - Osasuna
SelectionUNDER 2 Goals
Strength10/10
Date08/03/2007
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 2.05 (Back)
ReasoningGlasgow Rangers are very strong playing at home and haven't lost at home in Euro Cups since 2003 now. Osasuna know that and without Milosevic & Soldado and others today they would love to keep it tight as hell and let's not forget their scoring problems.

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Glasgow Rangers vs. Osasuna Glasgow Rangers (-0.25 AH) @ 1.82 Betdirect As i wrote in previous pick, Osasuna is travelling to Glasogw without their two best scorers Soldado and Milosevic, so a defensive display and playing on a clean sheet FT results will be their game today. Rangers should have problems cracking their defense but IMO one goal should be satysfying for their coach before the return leg in Spain. Also Rangers probably will not throw all forces in attack as Walter Smith also mentioned in the BBC interview »Away goals are a major factor in European football and Osasuna will make it difficult for us to break them down«. Osasunas coach Ziganda mentioned that »Osasuna's priority was avoiding relegation after a poor start to the season…and I have said many times, Osasuna's priority is the league« So a 1-0 or 2-0 win for the Rangers would probably do allright. Glasgow Rangers vs. Osasuna Under 2.25 @ 1.89 Betdaq Playing this one because of two reasons. Firstly we are in the later stages of an UEFA cup and lot is at stake now, so not expecting the mindless attacking from Rangers and Osasuna if predicted correctly will defend and try to danger the Rangers goal from counters and standard situations. Anyway for Rangers its also important that they not conceede, so maybe a 1- 0 FT score is my prediction. OK, second reason is Osasunas tendency to play low scoring games, they have done so in 8 out of 10 last times. And lastly the top scorers of Osasuna, Milosevic and Soldaod seems to be out, so their coach should prefer playing with a lone striker and strong midfield line. Low scoring match Italian style IMO. Paris SG v Benfica Lay PSG @ 2.80 Betfair PSG in the most umlikeliest positins of them all – relegation battle. New coach Le Guen will have to fight with the relegation trouble first and only then worry about getting a result in Europe. »The most important match, is on Sunday, everybody knows that« were the words of PSG player Bonaventure Kalou Saturday. cofirming that the clubs priority is the game in Auxerre. So the players heads will be in the LIgue 1 match, hearts probably on the pitch. But i cant geto ver the fact, that PSG will not win it today Maccabi Haifa v Español Under 2.25 @ 1.84 Betdaq Lay Maccabi Haifa @ 3.6 Betfair Well IMO the bigest handicap for the Isralei team is the fact that they will not be playing in their stadium Qiryat Eliécer, because of security reasons. They are IMO the surprise package of this years UEFA cup having qualified form group A and beaten former champions CSKA MOscow on the way. They have couple of good players – Collauti, a former Boca JUniors striker must be mentioned, Isralei international keeper Davidovicth and ex-Osasuna player Rafael Olarra. SO they are in no way bad team, which Espanyol will cross with no trouble at all. But imo their path stops here. Espanyol just to strong atm, also they are still unbeaten in this years UEFA cup, wining all 4 in group stage and also both legs vs Livorno,. They also have Pandiani who is the best scorer in the Uefa cup, but De la Pena seems to be out of the game. Last game that Maccabi played vs. Spanish team at home they drew to Valencia 0-0. So imo a low scoring game with a 0-1 win for Espanyol. Newcastle v AZ Alkmaar Over 2.5 @ 1.88 Betdaq This one looks like a no brainer…went on an under 3 goals in last AZs match and they scored four in that one., so i guess the style of football AZ is playing should get them to score at least once, also like the options of Newccatel scoring in this match, as AZ cashed in 5 in two games vs. Fener..and are generally speaking an over team… Results in the UEFA this year: Fenerbahce (Turkey) - AZ (Holland) 3-3 and 2-2 Seville 1-2 AZ AZ 2-2 Slovan Liberec Grasshopper 2-5 AZ AZ 3-0 Sporting Braga Sevilla v Shaktar Sevilla (-1 AH) @ 1.74 Betdirect Not so straightforward match as it seems on first sight IMO. Sevilla clear favourites on paper, but they are not playing in full strenght as top scorer of Primera – Kanoute is rested for this match, and Kerzhakov starting on the bench with Jesus Navas and Luis Fabiano the strike duo. But imo the main thing Ukranians will miss are defenders Kucher and Mariusz Lewandowski along with forward Ciprian Marica and imo the biggest loss for them is Anatoliy Tymoschuk, who was transferred to the Zenith of Saint Petersburg. Still a very respectable side for Shaktar (probable squad from Marca: Shust; Srna, Chygrynskiy, Shevchuk, Rat; Elano, Fernandinho, Matuzalem, Jadson Rodriguez; Vorobey and Brandao). Sevilla in great shape, fresh from victory vs. Barca, and they are probably in very high esteem with that coup. IMO they are still too strong for the Ukranian side and will win this one with at least one goal.

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Wouldn't touch Bremen for that price. Frings is doubtful, probably the most important players in their rows. Besides, Klose is in bad shape and Werder's defence hurtable with headers. Leverkusen may struggle at Lens even though defence has been solid of late. But I expect Lens to make the game rather. Doubtful on Leverkusen side are Castro and Barnetta what would weaken defence.

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 NEWCASTLE V AZ: There is little doubt that the 3.8 on AZ is as tempting as the cakes in a shop are to Ronaldinho, especially when you consider that AZ have already been to Seville and won, I'd be recommending the cover with the draw but little doubt that this is good value. Even better value though is the 3.6 anytime goalscorer price with Ladbrokes and Coral on Danny Koevermans to score anytime. He has an impressive scoring record and finds the net as regular as Ronaldinho finds his sugar intake, with Calamity Bramble set to play there'll be opportunites galore for him to feast on. RANGERS V OSASUNA: The bookies are finding this one a difficult one to price up, Rangers are showing improved signs under Walter Smith, while Osasuna are struggling in Spain, incapable of putting that big white ball between the two sticks. This game depends on how highly or not so highly you judge scottish football, probably one to avoid. BRAGA V TOTTENHAM: This one is a tricky one to call, Benfica and Porto have already failed to record victories there, while Spurs until recently have had about as much away success as Robbie Williams has had with his career lately. However they have shown improved signs (spurs that is not Robbie's personalities) and this could be a very close one, Berbatov is 3.0 in the anytime market but with Braga's defence tighter than a Robbie rhyme it remains one to watch. OTHER GAMES: Elsewhere Sevilla look nailed on to beat Shaktar Donetsk, the best way to play this is the win margin bet with bet365. If Sevilla win by two or more goals you get 2.2 if Sevilla win by one goal you get 3.5, it's a small add for the probable result but on the offchance that Seville win but it's kept close then this is a market worth playing. Benfica also look good value in the draw/win market not to lose at a PSG side having a nightmare of a season.

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Osasuna have big problems in front line. Top 3 scorers are out... Rangers is always good at Ibrox. But i think they will hardly beat Osasuna. Spanish team will defend and try to do something from sounters, but not to much. Osasuna want 0-0, because they know it's hard to do something when half of team are out and if they score, very unlikely, they will go to next round. I choose draw here, probably goalless.

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Maccabi v Espanyol The Spaniards have done really well so far in this tournament and I expect them to continue that form tonight against Maccabi. Wins against Sparta (2-0) Zulte (6-2) ajax (2-0) and Austria V (1-0) before wins over both legs against Livorno show that they mean business. Maccabi are no better than most of these and I expect an easy passage into the next round for Espanyol. Another tight game in store but I cant really see a home win tonight. Maccabi (lay) @ 3.6 betfair

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Lens v Leverkusen The Germans come into this tie after good wins over Schalke and Stuttgart in the Bundesliga. Lens who have been indifferent so far in the competition losing to Parma (home) Heerenveen (Away) and drawing away with OB. Leverkusens attacking style should be on show again tonight as they search for an away goal which I believe they will get. Defence wise, their hosts have only conceded 7 in 9 games and I fancy this to be tight. Good price for the lay here I believe Lay Lens @ 2.2 Betfair

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Paris St-G v Benfica Despite a good win over two legs in the last round against D. Bucharest, I have yet to be impressed by Benfica. For all their talent they regularly struggle to break down teams and PSG will look at the competition as a welcome distraction from Leaague suffering. They had 2 fine wins over AEK in the last round and in particular, the away leg in Greece was an impressive result. Benfica may struggle again tonight and hope to finish the tie in Portugal. Benfica (Lay) @ 3.0 Betfair

EventPSG - Benfica
SelectionBenfica (+0.25) (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date08/03/2007
Bookmaker/PriceBetDirect @ 1.84 (Back)
ReasoningPSG are going through a really difficult time right now, I'm having a hard time believing what I see when I check the table. For a team like PSG it's nothing short of a disaster to find themselves in the relegation zone, and although this match could be used for getting back on track, I think their minds will be on the important and difficult task of improving their leauge position and peformance. Benfica are in good form and have also been more reliable away from home, they beat Dinamo Bucarest last leg and thats a sign of strength. I'm backing Benfica at least not to loose.

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 some very interestin games with interestin prices espanyol @ maccabi haifa is a steal - (pandiani,raul tamudo and luis garcia) attackin i think @2.30 is very nice!! sevilla is a banker play some very good football with some match winnin players i think itll be stroll in park over 2.5 and the win for me!! Spurs to win at braga very gd passin team wen they get into there stride score goals from all positions gd price also so backin em to win and over 2.5 Hope These Will Help Gd Luck To All

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Tempted to back Spurs v Braga with the (-0) AH @ 1.66 Spurs beat Besiktas and Leverkusen both away from home already this season in the Uefa Cup. I feel that the least that will result from tonight's game is a draw. If the game finishes as a draw then it's money back, no loss. I want the Sevilla/Benfica double too as I talked about earlier in this thread. I feel that PSG are a poor side that won't stand up to the attacking threats of Benfica. I know that Benfica aren't great away but PSG aren't great anywhere!! Only danger I feel of this double is if Shakhtar close the doors up for the away game, even then with their three players out I find it difficult to believe that Shakhtar won't score at least one goal!

Re: UEFA Cup matches 8/3 Event Sevilla - Shakhtar Donetsk Selection Sevilla (-1) (Asian Handicap) Bookmaker/Price BetDirect @ 1.74 (Back) Reasoning Shakhtar without Kucher, Lewandowski and attacker Marica. Although Sevilla wont start with their strongest line up they shoudl be able to beat Shakhtar with more than one goal. The way I see it Shakhtar's defence is the weakest link to begin with, and with todays missings I think they will have huge problems defending themselves vs a Sevilla team on the attack. Shakhtar should not be underestimated, but they do not have that great depth in their squad, so I find this bet a sensible choice.

EventG. Rangers - Osasuna
SelectionUnder 2.25 goals
Strength10/10
Date08/03/2007
Bookmaker/PriceBetdaq @ 1.89 (Back)
ReasoningOsasuna and goals are two words that don't mix atm, they are 2-3 last 5 matches. Today they will be without Milosevic , Soldado and Pinal apart from already missing players. I'm predicting a very defensive minded Osasuna who would be very satisfied with a 0-0 match in Glasgow, and looking to win at home. Glasgow are in good form and in my mind pretty strong favourites to win this one, but I think they will have problems breaking Osasuna's defensive wall. 1-0 for Rangers a very likely result, Osasuna not to score even more likely.

EventMaccabi Haifa - Espanyol
SelectionEspanyol (0) (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date08/03/2007
Bookmaker/PriceBet1128 @ 1.68 (Back)
ReasoningMaccabi Haifa reached this leg thanks to CSKA's total lack of goalscoring skills imo, not saying they are a weak team, but I don't think this kind of luck will fall on them again. Today they face Espanyol who are unbeaten in the Uefa Cup this season, as a matter of fact they won all previous six matches. I think that Espanyol with Pandiani will prove to be a too tough task for Maccabi, although I have great respect for Maccabi's defensive skills I'm hoping that Espanyol will be able to score a winner here. To sum this up: Espanyol dnb at 1.68 is a very good price.

Sport Football (Euro Cups)
Event PSG vs Benfica
Selection Benfica 0 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 8/10
Date 08/03/2007
Bookmaker/Price canbet @ 1.99 (Back)
Reasoning PSG is in the brink of relegation, they must focus on their game on Sunday and I think this might take a toll on their UEFA cup clash. I'm not sure how many match left in French Ligue 1 but I think its more precious to be not relegated since they will get more sponsor money by staying in division 1. While if they focus on UEFA cup, their chance of winning it is less than staying in division 1 imo and ofc if they managed not to win UEFA cup and risk everything for it they could have financial disadvantage next season. Of course all of that was just my speculation. Anyway moving to the soccer side of the match, PSG will miss Rodriguez and have few long term injuries out of the squad while they will have Pauleta back after he went missing against Sedan. Their form has been like YoYo should I say and they can pull a good game one day and just off the hook the other day. Meanwhile, Benfica is in good form winning all their 5 latest games and they are the team that are more consistent performer as of recent and I see an upset is possible. Eventhou it will not be an easy task without Rui Costa some more, most likely result would be draw imo. But If I had to pick a winner I would pick Benfica. On top of that, Benfica nearest game will be next Tuesday compared to PSG's Sunday. Benfica would be able to focus more on this game rather than PSG regarding the time constraint for both of the team.

so why they didnt give up last time :drums
Last time, when the new coach Paul Leguen arrive, they win their 3 first game, they was not yet under the red line and nobody think they will be releguable. This last week, they lost Their 3 games (St Etienne, Sochaux and Sedan). They are now really relegable. Sedan are the last of this league (20) and Paris lost 2-0. Sedan is just now at 3 points of Paris. After, Paris go to play at home in front Auxerre(12) and after two times outside in front of Rennes(9) and Lens(2). Thoses match will be really important for them. On one match, they can win; but the value was really this morning on Benficat at 3.1 and i dont imagine Paris full fight for the UEFA Cup.