** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

JJ Poker mentor hand 6

robilaruk

this is an interesting one for me - and one that JJ and I would play diferently one of us would bet and the other one check the flop - what do folks think is best? - I am on the BB and got to see the flop for free after the button limps and the SB makes up. hickibabe is at seat 1 with 1350.00 HERO is at seat 2 with 1590.00 gun22 is at seat 3 with 2160.00 mike66 is at seat 4 with 1230.00 jonny1988 is at seat 5 with 1125.00 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

HERO posts the large blind 30.00 hickibabe posts the small blind 15.00

hickibabe: --, -- HERO: Qc, 4d gun22: --, -- mike66: --, -- jonny1988: --, --

Pre-flop:

gun22: Fold mike66: Fold jonny1988: Call 30.00 hickibabe: Call 30.00 HERO: Check

Flop (Board: 8h, 4s, Ac):

hickibabe: Check Hero???? damian says:

qc 4d

James says:

check...

James says:

blah, still check

James says:

too much chance of one of them limping with crappy A

damian says:

I would have lead out on thga flop for about 60

Re: JJ Poker mentor hand 6 I'd put in a small bet. Nothing too much, just enough to represent a weak ace. He's caught some of the flop and the SB could have anything as well, so I'd put a small bet in to try and get at least the SB off the hand. Of course, if the button was to come over the top with a big reraise, it's an easy fold and you haven't lost too much in the pot. Add to that, a free card would possibly help your opponents, so it's wise to get them out if you make the think they're behind. You don't have position, so try and end the hand there and then.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: JJ Poker mentor hand 6 I check here you are OOP and the risk reward ratio isn't worth a bet as there's more than one opponent still in the pot. IMO it's much more important to conserve chips at the start of an STT than it is to chop away at small pots. Add to that you've got bottom pair mid kicker. The pot is 90 chips (?) if a probe bet of c.45 chips is called then what's your plan on the turn? The flop texture looks like it's hit one of your opponents IMO. Any bet on the turn (if you decide to fire a second barrel) will cost c.100-150 chips and suddenly you've done 10% on a pair of 4s. If you're check folding the turn to any bet that is called on the flop then checking the flop is best.

Re: JJ Poker mentor hand 6 Definite check for me ..... If you bet, representing the ace, as has been said, you probably wont be believed because you weren't a pre flop raiser....and even if you are, there's a fair chance someone else has an A anyway...... It's just not worth the risk for 105 chips at this stage - an additional 105 chips if you do take it down are worth a lot less than what you will go on to lose if you dont.......