** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League (Nov 1)

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) the massive gulf in class between lyon and real madrid and kiev and steaua was clear to see two weeks ago. with real eventually beginning to look like a team and lyon scoring for fun, I just cant see how both kiev and steaua wont be on the end of a humping tonight. im gonna go for the real(-2) and lyon(-2) double @ 4.00 (totalbet) if one of the teams only wins by two and the other wins by three then the bet will pay out at evens. if both win by only 2 then i get my money back.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) Just a note to all Celtic fans, as there seem to be a few here getting excited. This is the 4th Champions League campaign and thus far the amount of away wins currently stands at 0.This is simply a statistic, and no matter how you did at Old Trafford, you didn't come away with anything. I think its the home form that will get them through, so for tonight all they should do is lose less than 3-0 and then in a head to head with Benfica they would be ahead. They should manage that easily.

Re: Champions League (Nov 1)

Just a note to all Celtic fans' date=' as there seem to be a few here getting excited. This is the 4th Champions League campaign and thus far the amount of away wins currently stands at 0.This is simply a statistic, and no matter how you did at Old Trafford, you didn't come away with anything. I think its the home form that will get them through, so for tonight all they should do is lose less than 3-0 and then in a head to head with Benfica they would be ahead. They should manage that easily.[/quote'] This is one where the head is overruling the heart and I'm befinning to see good value in Benfica. I've already asked the question on another forum as to whether it's morally acceptable to back against your own team, but 1.8 and above is available and I'm struggling to stop myself from putting a large sum on it. At least if Benfica don't win I'll have the added pleasure of knowing we'll almost definitely qualify. Benfica @ 1.8 :wall or No Bet?????????

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) Hamburg v Porto For me this is the stand out bet for value in this round of fixtures. The home side Hamburg are having a torrid time both domestically and in Europe. Coach Thomas Doll is under pressure to produce for the German side but their hopes now rely on a place in the UEFA Cup and they'll have to win this fixture to stand any chance of that. Doll will be relying on Dutchman Raphael van der Vaart to create the chances his side need to convert. They've yet to win at home in the Bundesliga with 4 draws from their opening 5 fixtures, they did win well in Leverkusen the other week with Peruvian Guerrero notching a 2nd half double. Porto come into this fixture full of confidence following their dramatic 3-2 victory over Benfica at the weekend. The downside from that win was the loss of teenage Brazilian Anderson and he will be missed tonight. Helder Postiga has found his shooting boots again and is assisted by the talented winger Ricardo Quaresma who's having a great start to his season. Porto destroyed Hamburg in Portugal last time out 4-1 emphasising a difference in confidence and quality. A win tonight is essential for Porto as they stay in touch with the top 2 who play tonight in London. Porto @ 3.25 betfair

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) 2006-11-01 Arsenal (-1.25) - CSKA (+1.25) Arsenal is playing very good lately, but it seems that their luck turned the back on them. In previous meeting between these two teams, Arsenal wasn’t playing their best football in Moscow, but they managed to create some chances and even score a goal that was unfairly disallowed. Against Everton they conceded an early goal and then completely dominated and they only managed to score an equalizer, but they hadn’t enough luck to score a winning goal. CSKA is doing great so far in Champions League. They are on the top of the table with 7 points and without defeat so far in their 3 previous matches. They will be overjoyed with draw in London and their approach very likely will be defensive with counter-attacks as their main offensive power. Arsenal had some problems at their new home ground this season and although they are still not defeated there, they are having trobles winning their home matches, despite their huge domination in those matches. I can say that when Wenger is testing 4-5-1 Arsenal have troubles with scoring, depite their great midfield. In my opinion, Arsenal needs another striker to play alongside Henry because Henry needs another player upfront to make space for him. The main concern for this bet is the fact that CSKA is well organised at the back and holding the 0:0 can frustrate Arsenal with their defensive orientation and Arsenal players can start reacting nervous. I hope that Wenger will decide to start playing with two strikers upfront in order to achieve a win and made qualifying easier for the next stage. I am pretty sure that Arsenal wants to take the first place in the group and for that it is necessary to beat CSKA here. The return of Clichy will move Gallas on place where he loves to play, in the place of central defender or even right defender. No matter where Gallas will play he will be much happier than on the left back possition. Arsenal is creating a lot of chances but their finishing is not on the necessary level, but the game that they are playing with great dominace in the midfield is brilliant. With those great midfielders and Henry in the team Arsenal can beat anyone and with some luck today I believe that they will pass CSKA easily Pick: H, Odds: 1.94, Stake: 4, Bookmaker: Pinnacle

Just a note to all Celtic fans...no matter how you did at Old Trafford' date=' you didn't come away with anything[/quote'] Yep, that's life :dude The result from the 1st Leg was a big suprise for me as I could have never imagined a Scottish team beating 3-0 a top team from Portugal. Ok, I forget about that shock..now at hot Estadio da Luz Benfica is my big favourite to take revenge! If Celtic win this clash as well it means that I know little about football :wall Comeee on Benfica!!!

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) Benfica v Celtic Benfica have to win this match to stand any chance of qualification to the knockout rounds. Their cause wasn't helped by their 3-0 defeat in Glasgow in the reverse fixture last time out, a scoreline that in truth shocked me. Key tonight is Celtic's woeful away record in the competition. Without their home form they'd be whipping bhoys! Benfica's troubles haven't been helped by their inability to score in this competition and although they lost to rivals Porto at the weekend they pushed them very close before losing 3-2 after recovering from 2-0 down. Italian Miccoli could return to partner Nuno Gomes up front and that will give them the cutting edge they've missed. Simao is still key to this side, on his day he's as good as anyone as Liverpool can bear witness to from last season. Celtic are missing two players with valuable experience at this level in striker Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and midfielder Thomas Gravesen. A must win game for the home side and this time around I expect them to deliver. Benfica @ 2.01 betdaq

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) FC Copenhagen v Man Utd A win tonight for Man Utd will seal their place in the knockout stage and I guess they'd like to achieve that as soon as possible after last seasons effort. They won the reverse game convincingly in Manchester 3-0. They do have Giggs, Neville & Saha missing with injury but such is the depth of their squad they can cope and bring in quality to replace them. Wayne Rooney bounced back to form lately and that was demonstrated on Saturday as he scored a hat-trick against Bolton. Copenhagen have yet to score in this seasons tournament drawing 0-0 at home to Benfica and losing 1-0 to Celtic. Jesper Gronkjaer will miss out for the Danes and they'll be relying on Michael Silberbauer, Tobias Linderoth and the experience of Marcus Allback to give them any chance. I expect a comfortable night for Man Utd as they demonstarted at Old Trafford, they're the better side by far. Man Utd -1 @ 2.5 bet365

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) I fully expect Lyon and Real Madrid to win comfortably tonight but I shan't be betting on them outright. I quite like the look of Raul to score at anytime during the match and have backed him to do so @ 2.4 on betfair. Under Capello he seems to be back to his old self scoring more regularly than he did last season and I expect Real to create plenty of chances against much weaker opposition than they'd get in Spain. As for Lyon v Kiev theres one stand out man for me and thats the brilliant Brazilian midfielder Juninho. He scores plenty of goals every season be it in open play or more likely from free kicks. He's the best exponent of a dead ball for me in world football and if given a chance he tends to take it as most sides in France can bear witness to. With that in mind I'm backing him to score at anytime with betfair @ 2.9. Raul anytime goalscorer @ 2.4 betfair Juninho anytime goalscorer @ 2.9 betfair

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) my picks after considering all that is stated here and also my own evaluation this 3 are my most confident ones: :ok :ok [Parlay] [Asian Handicap] Lyonnais 1.5/2 Dinamo Kiev [email protected][uEFA CL - Asian Handicap] Real Madrid 1.5/2 Steaua Bucuresti Real [email protected][uEFA CL - Asian Handicap] Man Utd 1 FC Copenhagen Man [email protected] abit risky...but chances are high :ok :hope [Parlay] [Asian Handicap] Lyonnais 1.5/2 Dinamo Kiev [email protected][uEFA CL - Asian Handicap] Real Madrid 1.5/2 Steaua Bucuresti Real [email protected][uEFA CL - Asian Handicap] Benfica 0/0.5 Celtic [email protected][uEFA CL - Asian Handicap] Man Utd 1 FC Copenhagen Man [email protected][uEFA CL - 1x2] Anderlecht vs AC Milan AC Milan (H)@1.180 hope to get a strike like yesterday.. happy punting all :nana

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) Milan - Anderlecht: don't think this will be an over 2.5 game. I'm an Anderlecht fan and I think I know how Les Mauves will approach the game. Probably in a 5-4-1 and counterattack. Anderlecht does not create that much chances in away games, since their midfield is lacking strength/dominance. Vanderhaeghe (36, DM) is getting really slow, Goor (33, AML) has had his best days, Bousouffa (young playmaker) is still looking for his best form and Frutos (CF) is out. I don't expect Anderlecht to score. On the other hand, I don't think Milan will score three. Just figure out what Italian teams do when they lead 1-0... -- defend their lead. And try to score a second one. Over 2.5? VERY risky. Especially at 1.67. I believe Lille will not lose tonight and will go for the handicap bets on Lyon and Real. Feel less confident about the Arsenal, Benfica and Hamburg game. Arsenal haven't been too convincing at home (as someone mentioned) and CSKA will go for a draw. Just like Celtic. Finally Hamburg is a wounded animal. I don't think Porto will win there. GL to all.

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) Hamburger SV - FC Porto Although there seems to be some value in betting on Porto in this match I have a special feeling that Hamburg is able to beat the Portuguese tonight. Sorin and Van der Vaart seem to be playing from the beginning which will give Hamburg a real push for their self confidence. For Porto Midflieder Anderson is out for the next few months. And although the performances of the Germans were really ugly this season the do have a very good squad. And its the last chance for them to qualify at least for the 3. place, which means playing in the UEFA-Cup. So if you are planning to punt on Porto take a closer look at your stake ;)

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventBenfica vs Celtic
SelectionBenfica
Strength10/10
Date01/11/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.00 (Back)
ReasoningBenfica is a strong team when playing at home with the fans support. They played very well last weekend, away against Porto, but were unlucky in the last minute losing the game 3-2, after a come back from 2-0 in the first half. Micoli didn't play due a suspension but tonight he his ready to help Simao and Nuno Gomes to win this very important game of the CL. I'm confident the defense will play more confident and concentrated and will stop Celtic from making a goal. If my Benfica loses this game, well, goodbye Champions League and goodbye UEFA Cup.

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) I'm with Brightomega. I don't think that it will be over 2.5 in the Milan game. 1-0 or 2-0 is the most likely result.. I also don't think that Lille will lose against AEK, instead I will play the draw because Lille have been playing a lot of draws both away and home.. -1 on Real and Lyon seems to me as good bets also. There is a huge class difference between the home teams and the away teams, so the home teams should win with more than two goals... Cheers:ok

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) If Real will play with Ronaldo instead of Van Nistelroy, i'm not sure Steaua will concede more than 1 :). Anyway here are some things i would like to share to you: Steaua will have big support from their fans here in Spain They are hard to beat away from home in european matches Real showed nothing on last championship match. They had luck and Capello. Steaua are better than Kiev . and if Real scored 5 to Kiev this doesn't mean that they will score 5 to Steaua ... OH, WTF i'm writing here?????? Take Real AH +2.5 @2.43 is really good value!

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) Ok not much time so here i go with my selections: Milan - Anderlecht I honestly don't know why bookis are thinking this will be an Over game. We all know Milan, 9 of their last 10 games went Under 2.5 and they didn't score in 4 of those. Same with Anderlecht 8 of last 10 went Under. This is pretty obvious for me. Under 2.5 AEK Athens - Lille OSC Lille is a strong team and they have the chance today to put qualification beyond any doubt. Athens will be pushing but they don't have the strenght, and value to break Lille down. Lille will not lose today infact they might even score on the break. Lille 0:0 AH and Correct Score Athen 0-1 Lille the rest later.

EventReal Madrid - Steaua
SelectionReal Madrid -1,5
Strength10/10
Date01/11/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 1.57 (Back)
ReasoningWhite scum ,Real madrid, is much better than Steaua, they are in form and willing to prove themselves again in CL this season. Steaua has no value for such a competition and their only hope is not to lose with large numbers tonight. Here is the stats: 2. Real Madrid 3 2 0 1 9:4 6 3. Steaua Bucharest 3 1 0 2 5:8 3 In the first game at Bucharest , the spanish giants won without problems with 4-1.I believe tonight we will see another high score for hosts.

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) HAMBURG v PORTO

Hamburg is last in the Group G of the Champions League after the first three rounds and three defeats (h. Arsenal 1-2, a. CSKA 0-1, a. Porto 1-4). Porto is third, one victory (h. Hamburg 4-1), one draw (h. CSKA 0-0) and one defeat (a. Arsenal 0-2). If the German team can still reach the third place and the qualifying to the UEFA Cup, the Portuguese team can still reach the Round of 16 of the main European tournament. Two complete opposite situations also in their home leagues. Hamburg won only once in nine rounds but it should soon get better with the come back of Van der Vaart and the help of Sorin and Guerrero. Porto is the leader of the Portuguese championship with 6 victories, one draw and only one defeat. The “Dragões” are the favourite for this game but a draw is still possible. I don’t think that Hamburg can win at the moment. Line-ups: HAMBURG – Kirchstein, Mahdavikia, Kompany, Mathijsen, Atouba, Feilhaber, Trochowski, Sorin, Van der Vaart, Sanogo, Guerrero. PORTO – Helton, Fucile, Pepe, Bruno Alves, Cech, González, Paulo Assunçao, Raul Meireles, Quaresma, Lisandro, Helder Postiga. Not available: Anderson (Porto). Pick: Porto (AH), odds: 2.26, stake: 10/10, bookmaker: Pointbet

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) I have a feeling Real will demolish Steaua tonight ... neither bets appeal to me on the straight win or handicap, so i have placed a small amount on a goal to be scored with a header, odds about 2.50, as Steaua seemed to me vulnerable on corners and free kicks, and who knows, Goian or Ghionea could be the nice surprise and nick a goal, Goian scored a few headers in last UEFA Cup season and Ghionea scored the first goal in the 4-1 away win @ Kiev. Rest of the games don't appeal to me neither, only for the fun i have placed some small ammounts on ManU 2/2 HT/FT, Hamburg to lead @ HT ( they really need to get the firepower back again ), and Benfica to win. Not big arguments for me on the picks, just a gut feeling. gl :hope

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) Hi everyone- The AEK-Lille game isn't an easy one to pick. I would stay away from that game, in general. Yeah, it's likely to be an Under 2.5 and it's tempting to think that Lille will get a result, but this one is harder than meets the eye. AEK is looking for their first Champions League win at home against an equal (or slightly stronger) opponent. They will have Georgeas mark the very quick Keita which will be an intersting and important match up (a key to this game if you ask me). AEK are on an uptrend having beaten Panathinaikos last week in the Athenian derby and Sera Ferer is a coach who is getting maximum performance out of his players. AEK played relatively well against Lille in their prior CL encounter despite the result. That's not to say that AEK will win or even get a draw. Just trying to warn of any pitfalls. Good luck to all

EventMilan-Anderlecht
SelectionMilan to win
Strength10/10
Date01/11/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.20 (Back)
Reasoningİ saw last two games from Milan wich played at home and wich lost (Palermo 0-2 and İnter 3-4). İ am very suprised with Milan.They play great but lost both games and that was a bigest thing why i am suprised with Milan. Palermo made two ''chances'' from countre atttack and scored two times in 90 minutes and that was all for that 90 minutes.İ dont like that kind of football. Milan is very strong and have full team for tonight and they will win over ANderlecht for sure.
EventArsenal-CSKA Moscow
SelectionArsenal to win
Strength8/10
Date01/11/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.37 (Back)
ReasoningArsenal is big favourite here for me and bookies offered just 1.30-1.40 for Arsenals win even CSKA have 7 and Arsenal 6 points in group. Eboue ,Lauren and Ljunberg are out in Arsenal and will be replaced.Arsenal have great young stars and that will not be a problem for them.After 0-1 in Russia and 1-1 with Everton in last home game in premier league i think that Arsenal will very easy win here. Jo is out for CSKA.

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) I just decided to take the Over in Hamburg - Porto. At Betfair you can get odds around 2.48 for that which seems much value for me. Hamburg has to attack like there is no tomorrow and Porto is strong in placing counter attacks. I'm also thinking of placing a small stake on Over 3.5 goals which gives 4.7 Additionally I go for Real -1.5, Lyon -1.5 and Arsenal

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) Benfica - Celtic (0.5) : Actually I think Benfica will win but everybody is on Benfica again :eyes . Celtic are dangerous on countre-attacks and benfica is a team who can always .... up. there can be a draw here. 2.00 @ expekt Lyon - Dinamo Kiev (+2) : Dinamo Kiev conceded lots of goals so far. I know this might sound kind of silly but they have a reputation to protect and they don't wanna finish the group like fenerbahce or leichtenstein. Lyon will probably win but they won't be trying too hard I guess. 2.02 @ pointbet. By the way I found odds of 26.00 for kiev which is just silly imo. AEK - Lille (dnb) : This match will probably end 0-0. Lille is like the draw team of Champions League and I don't expect a domination from them tonight because they are not a star team imo. If there will be a winner, it will be Aek playing at home in a good atmosphere. Lille has to get more experience in order to win matches like these comfortably. 2.00 @ betway. Real Madrid - Steaua Bucharest ( +2) : this match is a lot like the lyon game but here I'm picking Real Madrid because their goal scoring abilites are one class above lyon. 1.9 @ pointbet Arsenal - Cska Moscow (1.25) : Arsenal will probably win but CSKA is a side which shouldn't be underestimated this much while Arsenal is failing to get their results also. 2.02 @ pinnacle FCK - Manchester United (-1) : Manchester are missing an important trio but this should make this bet even better. The replacements have to play better to use their chances good. Kobenhavn is very weak for MAN UTD. 1.8 @ pointbet Milan - Anderlecht (+1.75) : Milan will probably qualify this round as leaders and they also know that. It's wrong to give Anderlecht 1.75 ball against Milan because milan is coming from a great derby game and they are on a great form of not scoring against weak teams. 1.99 @ pinnacle Hamburg - Porto (+0.25) : I still can't trust Hamburg after Hannover match. I'm gonna start trusting them after their first home win. Porto beat them hard last match and they also beat their rivals in the league so they have good morale and self-confidence. I think they'll leave here with at least a point. 1.84 @ pinnacle 5 stakes again. Gl. Sorry for writing so late :hope

Re: Champions League (Nov 1) No analysis but based on what's been said and my own views, just a couple of small interest bets; AC Milan v Anderlecht 1.57 Lyon v Dynamo Kiev 1.5 Real Madrid v Steau Bucharest 1.5 all above -1 goal handicap FC Copenhagen v Man Utd 1.44 10 point accumulator with Bet 365 Benfica v Celtic 1st carded team 1.72 PP Benfica v Celtic DNB 3.4 BSQ Good Luck Lads, GM :ok