** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League 17/18 October 2006

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 Alexmac - interested in your opinion on how the Teddy Bears will do on Thursday against Livorno? Are you going to let your heart rule your head? I'm already on Livorno for big bucks at Even money. All is not well at Ibrox and today's news about Bardsley would seem to confirm that.

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 -------------------------------------------------------------- Match: Chelsea – Barcelona Pick: Barcelona 0 Odds: 2.12 @ Pointbet Stakes: 8/10

Analysis: Chelsea is the current joint leaders in the league but this season unlike the previous seasons, performances have been less than assuring. Yes they have been getting the results but one could just fancy their chances of keeping Chelsea at bay. The loss of Cudicini and Cech is a blow no doubt and regardless of the amount of experience Hilario has, communication between him and the defense would be lacking and nothing could substitute the effects of playing real games. Throw in the lack of form from the likes of Shevchenko and Lampard, largely due to Chelsea’s formation being slightly out of sync, Barcelona could actually profit from this. Barcelona brushed aside Sevilla in the weekend with Ronaldinho coming to the fore. Ronaldinho’s form had dipped this season but his last match could just prove the catalyst for a change in his fortunes. Considering Barcelona dropped points in their last round, they have no choice but to get at Chelsea. One point could pile the pressure on Barcelona to take all 3 points at home to Chelsea and Werder Bremen. Matches between these 2 sides are always highly charged and one could fully expect another one to happen right here but with Barcelona hitting the right note just in time, I am going to tip them to edge this encounter 2-1. --------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006

You are right.As I live in Bulgaria I know a lot about bulgarian football's quality.I agree Levski will be hammered tomorrow I am thinking of putting all my bank on Werder as 1.22 is a huge gift from bookies.
LOL. According to his amazing record.We should bet Levski. Now i am a bit scared .No kidding!!!I have Bremen with ManU to win. He is all over Bremen:sad.I wish i didn't know his record!:sad I am thinking of putting my whole bankroll on Levski.:rollin GL.

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 yesterday was a great day.congratulations to evreryone who made the wright choices.Today a much harder day in champions league.Except Valencia,Inter and Werder, i would pick Liverpool-away win .They have much more experience in this competition than Bordeaux .Dispate the last results of Liverpool they played beautiful footbal and bordeaux is no match 4 them.

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 Barcelona-Chelsea extensive analysis ------------------------------------ ------------------------------------ We all remember their last two meetings in CL.THe first battle was won by Chelsea.The second was won by a mishap(the goal that sent Barcelona to quarter finals was John Terry's own goal).A question arises -What if Bracelona don't possess this luck anymore and mishaps do not occur. Second,Gudjonsen made his way to world-class soccer in Chelsea(He was a part from the old generation).If it weren't Chelsea's coach and directors he would probably be an alcoholic in a local pub.The most sentimental moments in his life,and respectively in his career,belong to Chelsea.Having in mind Eto'o's injury he will certainly be Reacard's main weapon,but sentiments will preclude him from showing his full potential. Third,Chelsea have some problems with their goalkeepers.Hilario will be the goalkeeper for Chelsea tonight.History shows that new goalkeepers tend to perform better in such games in order to show the coach that they deserve a place in the squad.What if this Hilario is not hilarious at all and shows a talent.Also,Drogba said that the goalkeepers' injuries is an extra motivation for their team to hammer Bracelona.But there is one thing we know for sure-even if Hilario performs well Mourinho doesn't know about his probable behaviour in advance so he will resort to more defensive style.And actually the draw is satisfying for them on the background of the current problems in the club and their current standing in the group. Bracelona won their first game and drew against Werder.That doesn't automatically mean that they don't have a chance,but they will try to delay the culmination of the battle for Kamp Nou,having in mind the emotional link between Gudjonsen and his former colleagues and the unseasoned Saviolla.If pressed by Chelsea(as they will be) they will close in their own half and produce fewer scoring situations but will eventually keep the draw. Taking into account all these factors a DRAW seems to be the most plausible outcome.Correct score 0-0. -------------------------------------------------------------------- p.s. Valencia will win tonight but the price is too low.However,if you want to make money on this game Valencia will win 3-0.

Sporting - Bayern ?injuries suspended players?
We have none My only worry is that its been raining a lot since yesterday so the pitch will probably be flooded For me a draw or perhaps under 2.5 are the best bets Having said that, and after Sporting of Glasgows victory yesterday over benfica i´m :notworthy for a 1-0 victory for us

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 i think that shakhtar have been unlucky so far in their champions league adventure.denied by the brilliance of olympiakos keeper Antonios Nikopolidis they managed a 2-2 draw at home,having previously been beaten 4-0 at roma,despite the game being 0-0 after 65 minutes!!!!!!!!i dont think they will be a pushover tonight,and i might have a dabble at bet365s +2.0 @1.53.cant see them losing by more than the odd goal,and even with a 2 goal margin our stake is returned.any thoughts please.good luck:clap

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 Werder B - Levski Pick: Werder (-2) AH Stake: 4/10 Odds: 2.05 Bookmaker: Pointbet And over 3 goals @ 10 Bet Odds: 1.83; Stake: 4/10 Werder is playuing in great form and I believe they are one of the hottest teams in the world at the moment. They trashed Bochum 0:6 in their previous match at their domestic championship and now are playing against the weakest team in the group and Werder desperately needs three points in order to match "the big two" Barcelona and Chelsea. THis match for Werder is coming after great performance against Barcelona in their previous match in Champions league and they should have won all three points for their display but then came Messi and messed up their defense and Werder took only one point. Now they have chance to take three points and I believe that they will do that with style. Werder needs all 6 points in these matches against Levski if they want to advance into the next stage. Also the goal difference can be a decisive factor in the table so I believe Werder won't keep their strenght for the derby against Bayern in German league and they will try to score as much as they can and get their confidence sky-high in front of that match. Levski is without doubt the weakest team in the group. And they have some problems with their strikers, so they will be concentrated on the defense. When Werder will score the first (if that is not too late) and I believe that will very early, they will fill the net and win with more than two goals, in my opinion. Probable line-ups (according to kicker.de): Werder Bremen Wiese - C. Fritz, Mertesacker, Naldo, Womé - Baumann - Frings, C. Schulz - Diego - Klose, Hunt Levski Sofia Petkov - S. Angelov, Topuzakov, Tomasic, Lucio Vagner - Eromoigbe, Borimirov, Bardon - Telkijski, Yovov, Domovchijski

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 well my bets for tonight are: Inter.........over 2.5 goals (it's my feeling...6th sense):-) Valencia.....over 2.5 goals (as our friend Valenciano1 said) Sporting.....under 2.5 goals (as our friend Sporting1906/2006 said) Any doubtfull??

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 It seems we all enjoyed a good night yesterday. Good punting all around, with exception of ValenciaNo1. He should understand that people take this seriously. Copenhagen did not win 2-3 (as predicted by ValenciaNo1), and Anderlecht lost as well. So please show some respect for your fellow punters. For tonight's games I won't be putting in that much. I'll go for Liverpool and Chelsea though. LIVERPOOL: because they already start to focus on their European campaign. They just know that winning the league won't be for this year. There's some class difference between Girondins and Liverpool. They should get a win. CHELSEA: Am reluctant to think that the goalkeeper will make all the difference. Personally, I think that Barca will be more than glad to leave Stamfort with one point. Chelsea-Barca is always a huge battle. Mourinho will have his troops ready. GL to you all.

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 Some bets for me tonight: Valencia-Shakhtar over 2,5 goals - 1,75 @ expekt Obsiously Valencia are big favorits for the game. But I'm not 100% certain they won't concede a goal, but I think over 2,5 are pretty safe bet. 3-1 I think. Bremen-Sofia -1 - 1,50 @ expekt Werder has been playing some great football in Bundesliga, 0-6 win this weekend! I can't see them not winning tonight, if they play at their best they should win very easy tonight I think. 4-0. Chelsea-Barcelona over 2,5 goals - 2,15 @ expekt Chelsea without their two goalkeepers. That will surly be tough for the team. But they still have a great defence, but somewhere I don't find them as good this season as last. But I also think the team is now better suited for CL! These two usually gives some entertaining and goalscoring games, I'm hoping for another one tonight. 2-3 Barca? ;)

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 injuries and absences for roma: pizarro (out due trip to chile), montella, mancini and mexes injured oly lost 4/5 last games in european competitions at home against italian teams lost 3 and draw 1 roma have never lost against greek team ill go for a draw

Barcelona-Chelsea extensive analysis ------------------------------------ ------------------------------------ We all remember their last two meetings in CL.THe first battle was won by Chelsea.The second was won by a mishap(the goal that sent Barcelona to quarter finals was John Terry's own goal).A question arises -What if Bracelona don't possess this luck anymore and mishaps do not occur. Second,Gudjonsen made his way to world-class soccer in Chelsea(He was a part from the old generation).If it weren't Chelsea's coach and directors he would probably be an alcoholic in a local pub.The most sentimental moments in his life,and respectively in his career,belong to Chelsea.Having in mind Eto'o's injury he will certainly be Reacard's main weapon,but sentiments will preclude him from showing his full potential. Third,Chelsea have some problems with their goalkeepers.Hilario will be the goalkeeper for Chelsea tonight.History shows that new goalkeepers tend to perform better in such games in order to show the coach that they deserve a place in the squad.What if this Hilario is not hilarious at all and shows a talent.Also,Drogba said that the goalkeepers' injuries is an extra motivation for their team to hammer Bracelona.But there is one thing we know for sure-even if Hilario performs well Mourinho doesn't know about his probable behaviour in advance so he will resort to more defensive style.And actually the draw is satisfying for them on the background of the current problems in the club and their current standing in the group. Bracelona won their first game and drew against Werder.That doesn't automatically mean that they don't have a chance,but they will try to delay the culmination of the battle for Kamp Nou,having in mind the emotional link between Gudjonsen and his former colleagues and the unseasoned Saviolla.If pressed by Chelsea(as they will be) they will close in their own half and produce fewer scoring situations but will eventually keep the draw. Taking into account all these factors a DRAW seems to be the most plausible outcome.Correct score 0-0. -------------------------------------------------------------------- p.s. Valencia will win tonight but the price is too low.However,if you want to make money on this game Valencia will win 3-0.
great write up for Chelsea v Barca :ok btw, how can you be so sure Valencia will win 3-0? Why not 2-0 or 4-0? :\

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 Olympiakos (AHC - 0) at 1.90 with Gamebookers. Olympiakos vs Roma The home side needs to win to climb the table of the Group (1 point on 2 played), considered also they will face 2 away matches in row against Roma and Valencia. Olympiakos played 2 good starting matches: loosing (by 2-4) at home from Valencia, just in the late; so taking an away drew (by 2-2) against Shakthat, after they leaded the match for 2 times. They have shown good propension in offensive line; while the defense left me many doubts about their real consistence. Probable line-up: Nikopolidis; Zevlakov, Anatolakis, Ouaddou, Georgatos; Patzatzoglu, Stoltidis; Castillo, Rivaldo, Djordjevic; Konstantinou. Roma in emergency state yet, but Spalletti used to work in various desperate situation with Roma since the last season (no pure forwards for all the year), so even he missed a lot of regulars, Roma remains a team very dangerous and solid. Missed for tonight: Mancini, Montella, Mexes, Martinez and Pizarro; to verify the condition of Aquilani (probable to start from bench), while the young Faty is ready for the debut with Roma (very young, but already he played in european cups). Probable line-up: Doni; Cassetti, Panucci, Chivu, Tonetto; De Rossi; Rosi, Faty, Perrotta, Taddei; Totti. Olympiakos to search to have the best from the couple of attack front Konstantinou-Castillo (both on fire in the last period) and a good disposition in the middle; Roma will keep Totti in advanced line (but the captain is in no best conditions yet), the defensive seems solid, but to look for the middle line completely new. This seems to me the best bet for an uncertain match.

Although Celtic have a good record at home in the Champions League with so many players out I think Benfica are worth a small punt.
I worried a bit myself scotty, balde, wilson, mcgeady, hesslink, graveson all missed through injury and are all 1st team picks but the atmospere at celtic park was unbelievable last night. players are now slotting into a system. our champions league stats at home are played 11 won 8, drew 2 and lost 1 which takes in milan, juve, munich, lyon, barca etc.. which is good by anyones standards but when you play ( no disrespect btw ) dunfermlines and motherwells on a saturday and have to up the performance 10 fold on a wed it makes it more difficult.

great write up for Chelsea v Barca :ok btw, how can you be so sure Valencia will win 3-0? Why not 2-0 or 4-0? :\
I've been their fan since 7 -year-old.(now I am 20).My mind is a huge database for their behavior toward different teams in different situations.David Villa will score two(probably there will be a penalty as our Ukranian mates are not very friendly) and I think that Joaquin will finally score for his new team.Red card for Shachtar is a good value as it is their last chance and when the goals start pouring their team will get more aggressive.Referees typically watch over Morientes so hispersonal keeper is most likely to be sent off as Morientes is a favorite player(remember how many absurd penalties were given to Spanish national team and Athletico because of another such player Torres).I am not saying that Morientes will feign like Torres but he is a popular striker and referees keep an eye on the defenders' behavior toward his actions.While David Villa is not worse than Fernando,he is younger and referees still don't expect him to cause opponent's unallowed reactions.Plus we all know what Morientes did in CL with his former teams Real M and Monaco.So ucranians will be extra cautious(and respectively aggressive) with him.

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 Chelsea v Barcelona How many times are you likely to get odds-against on Chelsea at Stamford Bridge this season? Can't help thinking that their record at the Bridge in recent years dictates they are worth a punt, even even against such class opposition. For me, the loss of Cech (& Cudicicni as cover) is huge. I've no idea how good (or not!) Hilario is, but even if he proves himself to be a capable deputy, Chelsea will miss the reassurance of having a world class keeper behind them. Cech's biggest strength is that he rarely misjudges anything so he doesn't get in the way of his defenders by coming for crosses that they are dealing with and that gives his defenders confidence. Just look at John Terry's performances in the World Cup when Robinson's judgement started to wobble to see what can happen to class defenders when they aren't sure about their goalie. Having said that, it's interesting to consider how Mourinho will approach this game with Chelsea already 2 points ahead of Barca. Will he see this as a chance to really put the pressure on before the meeting in the Nou Camp? If Chelsea win here and get a result in Spain, then Barca could find themselves in danger of not even qualifying as you'd have to assume Werder will pick up 6 points from their two games against Levski. A difficlut one to assess, but I think Chelsea might just go for the jugular here, at least to start with and sit on whatever lead they can muster by half time. A dangerous tactic for sure, but the Blues have made thier name under Mourinho by sneaking wins in close games. Barca have a different problem - a draw at the Bridge would probably be ok for them, and in Et'oo they are missing a major threat. Ronaldinho may have played a blinder on the weekend, but his from this season & during the summer for Brazil wasn't great, so there's no guarantee he will find his way past a mean defence tonight. Anyway, all this analysis has the rather disappointing upshot I will chance Chelsea at low stakes tonight, 10pts @ 2.64 ( BetFair ). Also a small nibble at Shevchenko to score 1st goal - he's gotta come good some time, and his Champions League pedigree is excellent - this could be his sort of game. Harder to pick any other value bets tonight after last night's stroll in the park, but I'll go along with the majority and pick Werder on the Handicap (-2) @ 2.19 and Overs in the Valencia game @ 1.88, both 20 point bets. Werder needs no further analysis from me and while I see Valencia winning, just not so sure they will keep a clean sheet so overs is the safer bet. GL all :hope

Sport Football (Euro Cups)
Event Chelsea - Barcelona
Selection Over 2.5 goals
Strength 10/10
Date 18/10/2006
Bookmaker/Price 10bet @ 2.35 (Back)
Reasoning Chelsea - Barca is a match we have every year (more than once a year!) and these matches are always matches with loads of intrigues, with Mourinho and Rijkaard being on the offensive. This year hasen't been a repetition of the last years though, my guess is that Mourinho doesen't wanna seem as cocky, when he's only playing his 3'rd goalkeeper, who still has to get his debut for Chelsea (and it will be coming against Barca, quite a first match, when you only expect to be used in the Carling Cup.) Sometimes there are loads of goals in these matches, sometimes there ain't, it's hard to say really, but both teams have great offensive qualities and usually great defensive qualities too. I'm thinking the overs/unders is somewhat 50/50 in this match, considering that Chelsea is using their 3'rd goalkeeper, but also considering Eto'o is out. With 50 % chance of an over-match we have a betvalue of 117,50%. That's worth a bet from my side! Happy punting!

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 Chelsea .v. Barca For punters the value has to be in Barca here at odds against - 2.87 currently with hills. Barca are after all the best club in Europe right now and so odds against anyone is worth a punt Hilario in goal does concern me , I saw him play preseason tour of the States and he looked dodgy to me , made a couple of bad mistakes (one leading to a goal) and generally looked like a 3rd choice keeper happy to pick up a decent paycheque. Normally this wouldn't alone be reason to back against Chelsea but we still haven't got inot our stride this season with the new faces and change in formation. Maybe Sheva and Ballack will feel more at home tonight in the Champs league but based on current form we look less solid at the back than previous years and still not 100% comfortable . Essien has been our best player so far and Sheva has to score at some point so might be tonight I of course will not be betting against Chels and hopeful that we can pick up a draw. I do think it will be a fairly tight game so if anything will probably go goals under or a correct score bet 1-1

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 in-play is the only way I'll be gambling on the Chelsea v Barca match, but I do think there's still some simmering resentment from Rijkard and co. regarding their loss in London two years ago! if the Chelsea keeper looks in any way out of his depth then I'll be lumping on Barca'! I think with all that exceptional talent in and around the box only a great keeper has any chance - and a mediocre one will quickly be found out!

Re: Champions League 17/18 October 2006 OLYMPIAKOS –ROMA 18/7/2006 DNB 1.909

Important game for the home team and probably the last chance in order for the Greeks to qualify in the next round of champion’s league. The good thing for Olympiakos is that the team has all the players available for the today’s game. The last years the home ground was the strength for Olympiakos but in the last games this does not happen anymore. I am expecting that this will chance today and Olympiakos will win Roma without Totti (as the last news suggests that).

Due to international games for the qualification of Euro 2008 and the elections there were not game for Olympiakos players and this help the players to have a little bit rest for the today’s game. On the other hand, Roma played on Sunday against Reggina when they lost. That is a plus for the Greek team. CL to Olympiakos