** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

AFL Brownlow Medal

Here is the market for Monday nights Brownlow Medal: Adam Goodes 2.40 Scott West 4.50 Chris Judd 6.00 Ben Cousins 9.00 Simon Goodwin 10.00 Nick Dal Santo 17.00 Brad Johnson 18.00 Nick Riewoldt 19.00 Tyson Edwards 29.00 Cameron Bruce 34.00 Shaun Burgoyne 41.00 Travis Johnstone 81.00 Matthew Pavlich 101.00 Andrew McLeod 126.00 Chad Cornes 126.00 Sam Mitchell 126.00 Brock McLean 126.00 James McDonald 126.00 Dane Swan 151.00 Brendon Lade 151.00 Josh Fraser 151.00 Graham Johncock 151.00 Barry Hall 151.00 Aaron Davey 201.00 Alan Didak 251.00 Ryan OKeefe 251.00 Simon Black 251.00 Kane Cornes 251.00 Luke Power 301.00 Adam Cooney 301.00 Jude Bolton 401.00 Scott Lucas 401.00 I don't know that Goodes has had a good enough season to win, It will be a low scoring year this year so a few players will be in the running at the end of the night.

Re: AFL Brownlow Medal ^^^^ Odds are "All In. Each Way Betting 1,2,3" Here are the by the club odds too! Most Brownlow Votes Dead Heat Rule Applies, Ineligible Players Count. Adelaide - Simon Goodwin - 1.23, Tyson Edwards - 4.25, Andrew McLeod - 13.00, Graham Johncock - 15.00, Any Other - 31.00 Brisbane - Simon Black 2.10, Jonathan Brown - 2.60, Luke Power 4.00, Any Other 17.00 Carlton - Brendan Fevola 1.80, Heath Scotland 2.80, Lance Whitnall 6.50, Any Other 10.00 , Matthew Lappin 19.00 Collingwood - Ben Johnson 2.80, Dane Swan 4.50, Nathan Buckley 6.00, Alan Didak 6.00, Josh Fraser 8.00, Any Other 11.00, Paul Licuria 13.00, Anthony Rocca 17.00 Essendon - Scott Lucas 1.42, Any Other 5.00, James Hird 6.00, David Hille 15.00, Damien Peverill 15.00 Fremantle - Matthew Pavlich 2.15, Peter Bell 2.15, Josh Carr 8.00, Any Other 10.00, Jeff Farmer 14.00 Geelong - Gary Ablett 3.50, Paul Chapman 3.50, Jimmy Bartel 5.50, Joel Corey 9.00, Cameron Ling 9.00, Any Other Player 9.00, Cameron Mooney 12.00, Matthew Scarlett 17.00 Hawthorn - Sam Mitchell 1.80, Luke Hodge 2.35, Shane Crawford 10.00, Any Other Player 16.00 Kangaroos - Nathan Thompson 2.10, Brent Harvey 2.60, Any Other Player 4.75, Daniel Wells 13.00, Daniel Harris 15.00 Melbourne- Cameron Bruce 2.90, Travis Johnstone 3.80, Brock McLean 4.50, David Neitz 7.50, Any Other 11.00, James McDonald 11.00, Aaron Davey 19.00 Port Adelaide - Shaun Burgoyne 2.20, Chad Cornes 3.25, Kane Cornes 6.00, Brendan Lade 6.00, Any Other Player 17.00, Danyle Pearce 19.00 Richmond - Joel Bowden 3.00, Matthew Richardson 3.10, Troy Simmonds 5.50, Patrick Bowden 6.00, Andrew Raines 11.00, Any Other 15.00, Mark Coughlan 23.00 St Kilda - Nick Dal Santo 2.00, Nick Riewoldt 2.00, Any Other 13.00, Robert Harvey 19.00, Lenny Hayes 23.00 West Coast - Chris Judd 1.80, Ben Cousins 2.90, Daniel Kerr 4.25, Any Other Player 31.00 Western Bulldogs - Scott West 1.50, Brad Johnson 2.55, Any Other Player 15.00, Adam Cooney 17.00

Re: AFL Brownlow Medal So at this stage I am going to have a small stake on Adam Goodes not to win the Brownlow, he has had a fair season and came good towards the end so should poll well in the late stages but I think he has a lot of competition for the votes given that a lot of Sydney players became better known and their skills and effect on games highlighted after last season. Also I think he will not have enough games where he will poll votes. I am going to take Scott West to win at $4.50 for 10 points and cover that with Scott West to be top Western Bulldogs player at $1.50 for 10 points X 2, As I said above I see this being a low scoring year with an odd season and no standout player, Scott West has the sympathy vote on his given the number of times he has come close, he has been consistant over the whole season and should poll in most games that the Doggies won. I see him polling much as he has done in past years (lots of 1's and 2's) but the extra games that the Doggies have won will push him over the line. By taking him at 10 X 2 for the highest Western Bulldogs player I will break even if he loses overall as I can not see Johnson getting close to him here. Finally I am going to take Fevola as top Carlton player at $1.80, he is a shoe in here, most consistant over the season and basically won a a couple (well all of Carltons wins) off his boot. In their three wins and one draw he kicked 5,7,5,4 goals, will get three votes in 3 of these and might snach a vote in some of the Blues close losses during the season.

Re: AFL Brownlow Medal Adam Goodes season:

Season 2006 Totals/Averages
c.gif c.gif Games Kicks Handballs Disposals Marks Goals Behinds Tackles Hitouts Frees For Frees Ag. c.gif
c.gif Total 23 352 126 478 161 23 13 74 48 17 31
c.gif Average 23 15.3 5.5 20.8 7.0 1.0 0.6 3.2 2.1 0.7 1.4
c.gif
c.gif
2006 Statistical Rankings
c.gif dot.gif Ranked 7th in Total Kicks dot.gif Ranked 18th in Total Marks c.gif
dot.gif Ranked 9th in Kicks Per Game
c.gif
c.gif
c.gif c.gif c.gif
c.gif c.gif c.gif
Season Highlights
c.gif
c.gif
dot.gif c.gif 26 disps (18 kicks 8 hballs), 9 marks and 4 goals in Round 22 92-point win over Carlton at the SCG (3 Sep 2006)
c.gif
dot.gif c.gif 24 disps (18 kicks 6 hballs), 5 marks, 6 tackles and a goal in Round 21 57-point win over Brisbane at Stadium Australia (26 Aug 2006)
c.gif
dot.gif c.gif 28 disps (21 kicks 7 hballs), 4 marks and 4 tackles in Round 20 27-point loss to Geelong at Kardinia Park (19 Aug 2006)
c.gif
dot.gif c.gif 29 disps (23 kicks 6 hballs), 12 marks and 2 goals in Round 19 32-point win over Melbourne at the MCG (12 Aug 2006)
c.gif
dot.gif c.gif 22 disps (18 kicks 4 hballs), 10 marks, 5 tackles, 5 hitouts and 2 goals in Round 15 2-point loss to West Coast at Subiaco (15 Jul 2006)
c.gif
dot.gif c.gif 25 disps (14 kicks 11 hballs), 7 marks and a goal in Round 10 7-point win over the Kangaroos at Manuka Oval (4 Jun 2006)
c.gif
dot.gif c.gif 28 disps (26 kicks 2 hballs) and 16 marks in Round 9 65-point win over Hawthorn at the MCG (27 May 2006)
c.gif
dot.gif c.gif 20 disps (18 kicks 2 hballs), 10 marks, 5 tackles and 2 goals in Round 7 118-point win over Richmond at Docklands Stadium (13 May 2006)
c.gif
dot.gif c.gif 28 disps (20 kicks 8 hballs), 8 marks and 2 goals in Round 6 32-point win over Brisbane at the Gabba (7 May 2006)
c.gif
dot.gif c.gif 24 disps (15 kicks 9 hballs), 8 marks and a goal in Round 1 27-point loss to Essendon at Docklands Stadium (1 Apr 2006)

Re: AFL Brownlow Medal In Round 6 Goodes should take the three votes with 28 touches, next best is 21 to Bolton and Fosdike, with Hall kicking only 3 from 17 touches and 11 marks In Round 7 Hall and Captian Kirk should take the votes and Goodes should not poll at all, Hall kicked 5 straight with 14 marks, and Kirk had 27 touches as well as 9 tackles. In Round 9 Goodes is a good show for the three with 28 touches and 16 marks but he also had 0 hitouts, 0 goals and only 2 tackles indicating a lot of ball on the flanks and on quarter half back, Captian Kirk could take three here with 19 touches, 10 tackles and 1 goal. Round 10 should see 3 votes to a Swans player, 2 to a Roos player and 1 to a Swans player given the close match that was domianted in parts by the Roos, Kirk will take the three, they both had 25 disposals but Kirk made 8 tackles and lead the team home with his midfield pressure in this one. In Round 19 Kirk will give Goodes another run for his money with Goodes getting 29 disposals and 2 goals 2 behinds where Kirk got 25 disposals but with 12 tackles, they will be the three and two here just a matter of if the umpires notice the tireless effort Kirk puts in and his leadership on the field with his amazing intensity and midfield pressure. I'll do a couple more rounds tomorrow, but it is food for thought, Goodes should in theory be given to much of a run by Kirk to get the votes to win over the smaller number of games that he has played well, if Kirk takes 3 or 4 three's here then Goodes will be in strife. Bring on West for the Brownlow!!!

Re: AFL Brownlow Medal

Finally I am going to take Fevola as top Carlton player at $1.80, he is a shoe in here, most consistant over the season and basically won a a couple (well all of Carltons wins) off his boot.
He seems the obvious choice Miguel, but id be careful of Heath Scotland. He has been a notable vote getter in recent years and he had a blidner of a year this year. He came 2nd in diposals overall in the league so he will be under the umpires nose a fair bit and getting noticed. Just thought id throw my two cents in

Bring on West for the Brownlow!!!
While I'd love to see it, Johnson will take too many votes away I suspect... He'll (west) have to have a big lead early, because I don't reckon he will poll many at all in the last half of the season. He's been a notable vote getter in the past, but at this stage, even in games where he gets 30+ touches, guys like Cross and even Boyd are just as effective and maybe more eye catching doing the same kind of job, and obviously with Johnson kicking 70+ goals... Tough to go passed Goodes. Got a heap of votes I didn't expect in 2004, so obviously a "favourite" with the umpires. Judd, always a massive chance. :ok

Re: AFL Brownlow Medal Yes, I suppose Cousins cost Kerr the medal last year by taking too many votes away. :lol It always seems an odd theory to me because a player is often favourite on the basis that he's won media awards (West won ABC, NINE, etc), yet it's supposedly only the Brownlow count where a teamate effects his tally. It's not that long ago that the firmly held theory about good players from bottom clubs being the best chance FINALLY got knocked on the head. I do agree though Taza, I feel West will need to lead going into the last few rounds. He got some big numbers late in season but didn't seem as effective with them and perhaps got some extra votes in the media due to pure stats, so unless the umps are big on pure stats ... and I actually have this sneaking suspician that these days maybe they do browse the stats post-game. That's why I'm not that as big on punting on it these days. In the past you could look for a certain type of player. In the 70's on the junior footy trip i watched Keith Greig clearly B.O.G. (in rd-22) but got nothing from the media because he was an unknown, and I also got laughed at by the other kids on the bus. He went on to win the medal at odds of 1,000,000 to 1. I suppose having three umps now provides different perspective too. Anyway, good luck to all having a punt on it - providing Westy wins that is! :hope:hope:hope

Yes, I suppose Cousins cost Kerr the medal last year by taking too many votes away. :lol It always seems an odd theory to me because a player is often favourite on the basis that he's won media awards (West won ABC, NINE, etc), yet it's supposedly only the Brownlow count where a teamate effects his tally. It's not that long ago that the firmly held theory about good players from bottom clubs being the best chance FINALLY got knocked on the head. In the 70's on the junior footy trip i watched Keith Greig clearly B.O.G. (in rd-22) but got nothing from the media because he was an unknown, and I also got laughed at by the other kids on the bus. He went on to win the medal at odds of 1,000,000 to 1. I suppose having three umps now provides different perspective too.
The difference is that great players in "bottom" clubs stand out...players in top clubs, while having plenty of competition for the votes, generally have 16, 17, 18 winning games and so (in practice) they have more votes to share around. Things become a bit tighter when a team only has 13 wins, imo, esp. in a team like the Bulldogs, where as good as West is, he's never really a clear BOG... ...But I totally understand your media award argument!...Gotta admit I'd never really thought of looking at it that way! :cheers A cool Mil to 1!!!!!!!!! Wow!! Is that real, or slight poetic licence??!!

Re: AFL Brownlow Medal Is it just me or did Goodes get 3 votes in some games for just turning up? Round 8 Adam Goodes 22 Pos 4 Marks 2 Tackles 1 Goal - 3 Votes Barry Hall 20 Pos 11 Marks 3 Tackles 5 Goals - 2 Votes Hall kicked 5 goals 11 marks from key position and Goodes gets 3 votes? Brad Johnson 20 Pos 6 Marks 2 Tackles 5 Goals - NO VOTES How can Goodes get more votes than Johnson when he kicks 5 goals in a losing side and has similar possessions and more marks? Scott West 21 Pos 2 Marks 4 Tackles - no votes Similar possessions to Goodes and he gets nothing and Goodes gets 3 Round 21 another prime example, may have deserved votes but there were 4 other players who had more possessions than him. Goodes 24 pos 5 marks 6 tackles and 1 goal These guys played in the same game and didn't even get a vote Ryan Okeefe 27 Pos 8 marks 5 tackles Justing Sherman 28 Pos 7 marks 2 tackles 2 goals Cheynee Stiller 31 Pos 10 Marks 5 tackles Scott West has 35+ possessions in a game and cant get a vote. Umpires cost Scott West a Brownlow and at worst a tie. The umpires were on Goodes a long way out from the end of the season.

Re: AFL Brownlow Medal Can't really agree Beejayville....(although I kinda do :D)... I've said before here that Goodes cost me plenty of $ the year he won it, as I didn't think he was even close... ...but this year, not so much. I distinctly remember him being BOG in the last 2 games (mainly 'cause I was pissed off I didn't get him into my Dream Team! :lol )... ...Obviously it's not all about the stats, but more the influence a player has on the game. He hets 20 possies, 4 goals early and the game is effectively over. People like Sherman and Stiller get a HEAP of cheap possies in the middle, do nothing with them and rack them up late...means absolutely nothing. Interesting you say about West missing votes on a 35 kick game...because Ashtee and I both agreed (I think :D) that he wouildn't get the 3 votes for his 45 poss game v. Adelaide, as Cooney was just sensational, and Boyd single handedly turned the game...but he did. (Unfortunatly!) Me and a mate both called it after Rd. 16...I'm not sure why the Ch. 10 boffins had West down for a probable 3 in rd. 22, given Johnson's game!!... ...and I guess, looking back now, the writing was on the wall early when Goodes got a 3 that no-one really expected. (Rd. 8?) Mate, I can assure you the umpires weren't 'on' Goodes! :lol !!!

Re: AFL Brownlow Medal Not much that can be done now but I do tend to agree with you Beejay, the thing that pissed me off was given Sydneys style of play, cause a lot of stoppages, slow the play down and get numbers back behind the ball, surley Brett Kirk should have polled far better than he did, his work rate is up there with the best in the league, his ability to tackle and slow the game down was the best in the league and his ability to hit a target with his feet in mu opinion is far better than Goodes. Hard players like this need to be acknowledged otherwise we will have a brownlow given out for most possesions, not best player. That's my rant anyway. Ads, you were spot on mate Scottland edged Fevola by a point, Scottland polled in a couple of losses which unusual for any bottom four club. Nice to see Big Red get a few aswell.

Re: AFL Brownlow Medal Hard players like this need to be acknowledged otherwise we will have a brownlow given out for most possesions, not best player. ..........-> Scott West has 35+ possessions in a game and cant get a vote. Umpires cost Scott West a Brownlow and at worst a tie. You can't have it both way guys. As Ashtee eluded to, most Media awards go to people who do just that...get the most possessions...simply because most of the over-paid morons are too lazy to actually watch the games...and when they do they give amazing Robert Walls-esque BASIC insights that are usually a long way off the mark anyway. But anyway... ...again, I kinda agree with what you say...again, in 2003 I had Adam Simpson pretty big to get the most votes for the 'Roos...thought he was 5-6 votes clear...only to see him get SFA and the more showy/flashy Harvey take it away easily!! It's how the Brownlow has always worked. The BEST player doesn't necessarily win. (Shane Woewodin anyone??!!)...It's just the way the system is...and until it changes, the flashy players will score more than the 'boring' work-horses who just go about their business week after week. Besides, I'm a Bulldogs man, and I dont think West is the 'best' or 'most important' player in the AFL... ...would have loved him to win obviously, but certainly not greatly surprised he didn't...and definately no conspiracies involved! ;)

Can't really agree Beejayville....(although I kinda do :D)... I've said before here that Goodes cost me plenty of $ the year he won it, as I didn't think he was even close... ...but this year, not so much. I distinctly remember him being BOG in the last 2 games (mainly 'cause I was pissed off I didn't get him into my Dream Team! :lol )... ...Obviously it's not all about the stats, but more the influence a player has on the game. He hets 20 possies, 4 goals early and the game is effectively over. People like Sherman and Stiller get a HEAP of cheap possies in the middle, do nothing with them and rack them up late...means absolutely nothing. Interesting you say about West missing votes on a 35 kick game...because Ashtee and I both agreed (I think :D) that he wouildn't get the 3 votes for his 45 poss game v. Adelaide, as Cooney was just sensational, and Boyd single handedly turned the game...but he did. (Unfortunatly!) Me and a mate both called it after Rd. 16...I'm not sure why the Ch. 10 boffins had West down for a probable 3 in rd. 22, given Johnson's game!!... ...and I guess, looking back now, the writing was on the wall early when Goodes got a 3 that no-one really expected. (Rd. 8?) Mate, I can assure you the umpires weren't 'on' Goodes! :lol !!!
Think I was just disappointed for Westy really Miguel :cry Taking my frustations out on Goodes...Draw would have been nice.

It's how the Brownlow has always worked. The BEST player doesn't necessarily win. (Shane Woewodin anyone??!!)...It's just the way the system is...and until it changes, the flashy players will score more than the 'boring' work-horses who just go about their business week after week.
Good points Taza...I thought Goodwin would have polled a lot better, but he never does, at least they finally recognised Brad Johnson as he got a few votes...cheers

^^^^ "The BEST player doesn't necessarily win. (Shane Woewodin anyone??!!)" Woewoden was better that Simon Black, that guy is as much good as tits on a bull.
Barracking for Collingwood I seen a bit of Woewodin and while he had some skill, he had no heart, pulled out on the big stage in the second Grand Final against Brisbane when the game was on the line, so did Richard Cole for that matter, no coincidence they are no longer at the club anymore...Thought Woey was harshly done by from Collingwood tho...And we have a few other squibs too at Collingwood such as Ryan Lonie and Alan Didak.

^^^^ "The BEST player doesn't necessarily win. (Shane Woewodin anyone??!!)" Woewoden was better that Simon Black, that guy is as much good as tits on a bull.
What about Diesel Williams 44 posession game against Melbourne and not getting a single vote, only to then go on and lose the Brownlow Medal by 1 vote in 1993 to Wanganeen... Hopefully he gets his Brownlow back

Re: AFL Brownlow Medal This is the first year I have ever bet on the Brownlow, and while I turned a profit (thanks to Nick Dal Santo edging Riewoldt, speaking of average players who get votes) I doubt I will ever put money on it again, probably just one of those events to sit and watch the stars make fools out of themselves, moan about how bad my team is and make bad predictions with mates. I'd love to go one year just to see what it is like on the night, it looks so trashy on TV. All eyes to the GF now, anyone betting on it?? Should be some good side markets, but I am not going to try and tip the winner.

This is the first year I have ever bet on the Brownlow, and while I turned a profit (thanks to Nick Dal Santo edging Riewoldt, speaking of average players who get votes) I doubt I will ever put money on it again, probably just one of those events to sit and watch the stars make fools out of themselves, moan about how bad my team is and make bad predictions with mates. I'd love to go one year just to see what it is like on the night, it looks so trashy on TV. All eyes to the GF now, anyone betting on it?? Should be some good side markets, but I am not going to try and tip the winner.
Think I agree Miguel, not with the last bit tho. West Coast are morals, they will not lose!!! Adelaide and West Coast were clearly the best sides this year and West Coast were quite glorious last week running down Adelaide. They have their whole midfield up and running and this year Kerr will play the whole game and they also have forwards this year. Stop Barry hall and you stop Sydney. I am going to hit West Coast as hard as I can as I believe it is their time, extra game was good for them last week. Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Embley will be hard to contain when Cos is hitting the ball to them contstantly. PS Miguel we miss your input in the A League forum mate...Starting to get a few in there now and we need guys like you with your A League experience offering your views :drums

Sydney Under 24.5 is paying $3.40 while WCE under 24.5 is paying $3.75 Either one looks like a good bet, the last 5 games bewteen these two have ended under a goal
$3-75 is great odds for West Coast although I am a little worried they are going to win by over 24.5 points Ads. Get on the COasters bandwagon you heard it here first!!! :nana:nana:nana

What about Diesel Williams 44 posession game against Melbourne and not getting a single vote, only to then go on and lose the Brownlow Medal by 1 vote in 1993 to Wanganeen... Hopefully he gets his Brownlow back
Hopefully he gets a big box of tissues to wipe away his tears the arrogant sook! That tosser is so full of himself and don't know how he ever won a Brownlow as it is for best and fairest player...And while Diesel may have been the best them years, he was far from the fairest and that is why he never got votes the day he got 44 possessions...Russo more or less said it in the paper this week...How much shit did he give the umpires that day?...He will never get another Brownlow one cos he didn't win it, and two cos he doesnt deserve it...I'm sure Robert Walls would agree with me :loon

Sydney Under 24.5 is paying $3.40 while WCE under 24.5 is paying $3.75 Either one looks like a good bet, the last 5 games bewteen these two have ended under a goal
Interesting, you can save on one, and then back your pick for a profit, as long as they stay under 24.5 points, not a bad idea for a bit of fun.

Hopefully he gets a big box of tissues to wipe away his tears the arrogant sook! That tosser is so full of himself and don't know how he ever won a Brownlow as it is for best and fairest player...And while Diesel may have been the best them years' date=' he was far from the fairest and that is why he never got votes the day he got 44 possessions...Russo more or less said it in the paper this week...How much shit did he give the umpires that day?...He will never get another Brownlow one cos he didn't win it, and two cos he doesnt deserve it...I'm sure Robert Walls would agree with me :loon[/quote'] LOL!!! Couldn't have put it better myself! :ok Suing the umpires/AFL...what a ****ing joke!!! ...but Miguel...Simon Black??!!! :eek ...One of THE very best clearance men I've ever seen... ...(oh, and I got him @ 18.00 to win it after Rd. 20 the year he did ;)) :D