** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

ANTE POST CHELTENHAM 2004

Guest bowles10

Guest bowles10

Ok, so when is it a good time to start? I recall last year there were some good prices out there & the obvious treble (!) of BEST MATE MOSCOW FLYER AZERTYIUOP was there for the taking. On similar lines this year, I think i need a treble out of the following: KING GEORGE - BEST MATE 2.50 :eek GOLD CUP - BEST MATE 2.25 ARKLE - THISTHATANDTOTHER 4.33 CHAMPION CHASE - MOSCOW FLYER 3.75 AZERTYIOUP 4.00 CHAMPION HURDLE - ROOSTER BOOSTER 5.00 RHINESTONE COWBOY 9.00 STAYERS HURDLE - IRIS' GIFT 2.87 BARRACOUDA 3.50 I was thinking trebles or maybe at least 4 wins out of 6 races relying on BEST MATE winning his 2? BEST MATE KGeorge 2.50 BEST MATE Gold cup 2.25 IRIS' GIFT 2.87 MOSCOW FLYER 3.75 1PT ACCY PAYS £60 ?? if a bigger price one comes in - say Rhinestone at 9.00 for example, then much larger returns. any thoughts on early cheltenham value?

Guest MYDOGDYLAN

Re: ANTE POST CHELTENHAM 2004 I don't think Best Mate will win the Gold Cup and looking at the opposition there's not a lot between the others but VALLEY HENRY (if it runs) looks very interesting @33/1. Of your other fancies all the races look wide open(pin sticking time). Here is my ante post E/W double(A very large bet for me:eek hope the wifes not reading this)) In the Champion Hurdle I think INTERSKY FALCON @ 8/1 will skate in. And in the Queen Mother KADARANN could go very well @16/1

Guest bowles10

Re: ANTE POST CHELTENHAM 2004

I don't think Best Mate will win the Gold Cup and looking at the opposition there's not a lot between the others but VALLEY HENRY (if it runs) looks very interesting @33/1.
happy to note your reply MDD but need to know a bit more about your fancies. Last year i took a good look from approx Jan through to the festival & the winners of these races were basically the best when taking into account conditions/course/jumping/jockey Backing something like Valley Henry at 33/1 may appear ggod value but only if it improves about a stone through the season. These races are ran at level weights therefore who would you back round cheltenham at levels' in march - BEST MATE (2 gold cups & close second in hurdle) or VALLEY HENRY ?? I would not want to put anyone off, but unless something improves out of sight e,g Swansea Bay looks a nice progressive horse but will it keep going until March? Keen Leader could win a nice prize (henessey?) but I've a feeling that may be aimed at the National. Intersky also interests me in the Champion Hurdle & i will probably put him into the mix. Just reminds me a bit of Rhinestone from last year though. Rooster Booster will be hard to beat at 2m - 2m4f again this season. Good luck

Best Mate The best horse to come along for years and years. He won't be beat bar injury or a fall.... But that's the point! I'm not interested in investing hevily on something at such short odds for a race 4 months away! Good luck if u take the plunge! I also think u may fall foul of " Best Mate victories being considered related bets! Ther not - I'm just saying a bookie may claim this (after the event probably!) and try to gove u, "SPECIAL" odds on the double!!:\

Guest bowles10

Re: Best Mate Yep you're right, cannot get the king george & gold cup doubled up. Stingy sods. I now intend to do the following bet over the next 4 months pre-cheltenham when I have the money available. Champion Hurdle - Rooster Booster 4/1 Gold Cup - Best Mate 11/8 Champion Chase - Azertyioup 3/1, Moscow Flyer 11/4 Arkle - Thisthatandtother 10/3 Stayers hurdle - Iris's gift 2/1, Barracouda 5/2 25 x perm trebles by doing this every month, if there are any injuries then I can add in another horse etc. I am keeping a watching brief on the champion hurdle & need to study the times of some of these horses. If rooster is as good as last year, it'll take some beating. I'm sure the Arkle will also throw up a couple more contenders also. Feel free to post any thoughts in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bowles10

Re: Best Mate update on prices of these ante post Cheltenham bets: Champion Hurdle - Rooster Booster 4/1 now 7/2 Gold Cup - Best Mate 11/8 now 6/4 Champion Chase - Azertyioup 3/1, Moscow Flyer 11/4 Arkle - Thisthatandtother 10/3 Stayers hurdle - Iris's gift 2/1, Barracouda 5/2 now 2/1 still sticking with the 25 x perm trebles

Guest bowles10

may be early but........ update on prices of these ante post Cheltenham bets (changes in bold after saturday): Champion Hurdle - Rooster Booster 4/1 now 7/2 now 3/1 Gold Cup - Best Mate 11/8 now 6/4 Champion Chase - Azertyioup 3/1 now 11/4, Moscow Flyer 11/4 now 5/4!! Arkle - Thisthatandtother 10/3 now 9/4 Stayers hurdle - Iris's gift 2/1, Barracouda 5/2 now 2/1 still sticking with the 25 x perm trebles -& 4 x 5-folds as well now

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bowles10

Re: may be early but........ update on prices of these ante post Cheltenham bets (changes in bold after recent results): Champion Hurdle - Rooster Booster 4/1 was 3/1 now 4/1 Gold Cup - Best Mate 11/8 was 6/4 now Evs Champion Chase - Azertyioup 3/1 was 11/4, now 3/1Moscow Flyer 11/4 still 5/4 Arkle - Thisthatandtother 10/3 was 9/4 now 3/1 Stayers hurdle - Iris's gift 2/1 now 3/1, Barracouda 5/2 was 2/1 now 6/4 The champion hurdle market is the weird one with both Rhinestone & Rooster both flopping this week but staying at the head of affairs with the impressive Intersky Falcon staying at approx 7/1. The true test will be in March at the mighty cheltenham not dodgy flat tracks like Kempton. I still fancy this bet & hopefully more banter will come on Cheltenham as we draw closer to the highlight of the racing year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Khartoum

Re: may be early but........ Good weekend for you Bowles10. Rooster Booster had a much needed win, Kingscliff disappointed, didn't see either my betting shop couldn't get a signal or some other shite excuse. Champion Chase is looking to be a great contest with Azertyuiop putting up a good performance under top weight in Victor Chandler. Can't wait for it. All the best Khartoum.

Guest bowles10

Re: may be early but........ Thanks Khartoum - nice to hear from you. I recall you were around for Cheltenham last year! I'd like to think the horses I have staked have a good chance of landing a few trebles. As we know, Cheltenham is a difficult place to win at, but these horses have won there time & again & that is where it lies for me. I'd be interested in laying Intersky & Rhinestone now for the champion hurdle as I don't think they act on the track. I'm going to check the Irish form to see if they have anything to trouble Rooster. Only about 8 weeks to go now!!

Re: may be early but........ Good thread this! Ive made it a sticky as Cheltenhams only 2 months away and will give people a good opportunity to post ante post views or paste Cheltenham related articles from other sites etc. If its successful we could do the same for the National?

Guest bowles10

Re: may be early but........ Aykay1 - cheers mate. i was hoping that the greatest festival on earth would gain superior status here. Between us all, hopefully we can post up some interesting ante post selections. Roll on Mid March!!

Re: ANTE POST CHELTENHAM 2004 REDEMPTION interests me as a potential runner in the stayers hurdle. (see above) He is well treated over the smaller obstacles and wont be too inconvenienced by the jumping errors which cost him dearly over fences. I'll be watching him closely and could be a decent each way shout? 40/1 at hills

Re: may be early but........ from racingpost.co.uk Best Mate reported to be "in good form" HENRIETTA KNIGHT on Saturday reported Best Mate "in great form" two months ahead of his attempt at a third consecutive Tote Cheltenham Gold Cup. The horse has had a break since winning the Ericsson Chase at Leopardstown over Christmas. Miss Knight, who landed a double at Kempton on Saturday afternoon, told Channel 4: "He's very well indeed. Jim Culloty rode him this morning and he's in great form. He's doing some steady cantering again now and he's great." The trainer also reported her Pertemps King George VI Chase winner Edredon Bleu to be "brilliant". "He might run again in about four weeks down at Wincanton. He's bouncing," she added. His target is likely to be the K J Pike & Sons Racing In Wessex Chase over two miles five furlongs on February 12.

Re: ANTE POST CHELTENHAM 2004 Rhinestone Cowboy given Stayers' Hurdle entry by Brian Fleming RHINESTONE COWBOY could miss the Champion Hurdle in favour of a surprise shot at bringing his stamina into play against title holder Baracouda in the Stayers' Hurdle. Entries closed on Wednesday for the Stayers’ and although not released until Mondayare expected to include Rhinestone Cowboy, an outcome anticipated on Thursday by Paddy Power as they introduced him into their Stayers’ betting as 7-1 fourth favourite. JP Magnier, the amateur jockey who rides the talented hurdler for his mother Sue,confirmed the possibility of a surprise switch from the Smurfit-sponsored Champion, in which he ran a fine third last season as a novice and for which he was on Thursday quoted at 7-1 third favourite with Ladbrokes. When last seen, Rhinestone Cowboy was a hugely disappointing sixth to 66-1 winner Golden Cross in the Grade 1 December Festival Hurdle at Leopardstown. Subsequent to that race trainer Jonjo O'Neil reported Rhinestone Cowboy as "quiet" and just cantering while awaiting his next target,which has yet to be identified. Paddy Power spokesman Charles Lee said: "We had a few queries over the weekend from clients we respect looking for a price about Rhinestone Cowboy for the Stayers’ and on the strength of those half a dozen calls or so we decided to introduce him to our ante-post betting list." On his penultimate start and his first attempt over two-and-a-half miles at Haydock earlier last month, the Jonjo O'Neill-trained gelding made a convincing winning seasonal debut but was found wanting when reverting to the minimum trip in Ireland. O'Neill is well blessed with candidates for both Festival targets. For the Stayers’, sponsored by Bonusprint, he also has the progressive Sh Boom and Iris's Gift, who was second to Baracouda ina memorable race last year, but has yet to be seen out this season. Intersky Falcon, who could run in next week's Irish Champion, is on course for the Champion, along with Hasty Prince and Specular. JP Magnier said: "From what I know the Stayers' is just an option and the final decision will rest with Jonjo where the horse will run at Cheltenham. I gather he has a race in mind for Rhinestone Cowboy some time in February and we'll know more after that." Another surprise in the Stayers’ would be the appearance of Redemption, whose jumping problems cost him dear in the Victor Chandler Chase at the weekend. A shot at the Cleeve Hurdle on January 24 at Cheltenham awaits. Trainer Nigel Twiston-Davies said: "Carl Llewellyn and myself are pretty convinced that the horse will get three miles and owner John Duggan is also very keen to go to the Stayers' route."

Guest MC Roller

Re: ANTE POST CHELTENHAM 2004 Lord Sam is top of my festival list at the moment. He's not done anything wrong so far over fences, 3 wins from 3 and an overall 8 wins from 9 starts. Therealbandit should start a short price favourite for the Sun Alliance Chase as long as the owner doesn't go for the Gold Cup....Novices just don't win the Gold Cup. Lord Sam should start around the 6, 7/1 mark on the day (Therealbandit permitting of course) which would represent a bit of value in my opinion. Onto the Gold Cup and surely Jair Du Cochet looks big at around 20s......A fantastic Horse with a bin man riding it. I gave Ricou another chance in the King George and boy did he blow it. An abysmal effort in all honesty. Please change the jockey for gods sake. Almost bought by big spending Wylie a few months back, what a pity. He would not be 20/1 with Graham Lee aboard thats for sure. Best Mate is a solid fav. Beef or Salmon should be placed layed until the cows come home. The same applies to Keen Leader. Kingscliff jumped terribly last time, excuses given but I'm not buying any of it. Truckers Tavern needs a bog just to hold place claims. Valley Henry would interest me each way of the others.

Guest whoneedsrio

Re: ANTE POST CHELTENHAM 2004 I'm not a fan of ante-post betting usually, however I do dabble on the odd occasion & have done so today. I am very interested in Therealbandit, both today & for the festival. I agree with MC Roller that he would probably be better going for the Sun Alliance & to read the connections thoughts that is where they are leaning towards. However they appear to me to be testing the water today in the Pillar chase taking on the gold cup runner up Truckers Tavern & the well thought of pair Jair Du Cochet & Sir Rembandt. Should Therealbandit put up a good showing today I would not be suprised to see him head for the Gold Cup. I have taken the 16/1 available, only to small stakes & also backed him to win today, should he do so I expect those odds to be about half that. Good thread this. All the best, Rio.

Guest whoneedsrio

Re: ANTE POST CHELTENHAM 2004 Now that was a real pity yesterday, down goes Therealbandit four out just as it was getting interesting. Looking on oddschecker this race doesn't seem to have had much effect on the Gold cup market. Therealbandit is best priced at 20's, Skybet have it at 25's but that was wrong yesterday & they've also got Jair Du Cochet at 20's & everybody else is 6 or 7/1. Therealbandit is best priced 3/1 for the novice event instead, the question is what do connections do now? Perhaps another race, a soft novice chase somewhere to boost confidence or a better class event to try to answer what they were trying to find out yesterday, maybe they'll go straight to Cheltenham but which race? Anybody got any thoughts? Rio.

Guest Khartoum

TheRealBandit WhoneedsRio, Owner David Johnson refusing to rule out bid for Gold Cup & says that the horse is OK & will be back in time for Cheltenham. He also said that another factor in the race it goes for will be how highly regarded stablemate Our Vic gets on in his 1st novice chase at either Warwick or Folkestone later this week. " If Our Vic does his stuff he would be in line for the Sun Alliance". Personally I can't see them going for the Gold Cup, I was suprised they were thinking about it before yesterday, let alone now after his fall. This was the owner talking & I would have thought that yesterday would have given Mr Pipe a sharp reminder of the sad demise of his Gloria Victis in the 2000 Gold Cup as a novice. But heh you never know. All the best, Khartoum

Guest Khartoum

Ante-Post Turning into a good thread this. MC - Hope you took the 20s for Jair Du Cochet & 12s for Lord Sam after the Kempton race. I thought it was a good performance & that people have under-estimated the runner-up Fork Lightning. No ante-post interest myself, probably wait until the festival itself. Cheers Khartoum.

Guest bowles10

Re: Ante-Post had some spare cash in account & decided to play a few more ante post bets whilst prices are high: Our Vic 10/1 Arkle - this runs soon & if bolts up as expected, will not be 10/1 for this race. May have other engagement but will not clash with Therealbandit in Sun alliance chase. Tusk @ 25/1 Triumph - this horse was a star for channon over the flat & now with H Knight, I was impressed with the workmanlike way it won at Kempton last time. I think a track like Cheltenham may suit & this one races up with the pace so will be thereabouts. has the finishing speed to get up that hill also. Be Fair @ 25/1 Sun alliance Novices hurdle - I had a tip for this one for last years bumper, had a very easy race & then came out at Aintree where it just got touched off at a big price. Xenophon @ 20/1 Sun alliance chase - Festival winner over hurdles last year when well gambled on. Just trying to nick the price!! Had a few each way dbles/trebles/4 -fold. Scary thing is that £1 accy pays £148,000!!!!! May not happen but it pays the mortgage off!;)

Guest bowles10

Re: Ante-Post Heard tonight that Our Vic is potentially rated better than THeRealBandit. It was down to run this week first time over fences but now I doubt the meeting will be on due to the weather. It is around 10/1 - 12/1 for the Arkle & 14/1 for the Sunalliance. Therealbandit is 9/4 after winning a number of chases easily. Fell last week in the Pillar. If there's value about, may be worth taking in. Main prob is that we dont know what race it's in & if it hacks up on debut will be a 6/1 or 7/1 shot at best for either race. David Johnson does not muck about with his horses & loves Cheltenham winners.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bowles10

update on prices update on prices of these ante post Cheltenham bets : Champion Hurdle - Rooster Booster 4/1 now 11/4 Gold Cup - Best Mate 11/8 now 4/7 Champion Chase - Azertyioup 3/1 now 2/1 Moscow Flyer 11/4 now 5/4 Arkle - Thisthatandtother 10/3 now 10/3 Stayers hurdle - Iris's gift 2/1 now 3/1 Barracouda 5/2 now 4/7 therefore managed to beat the prices on most of the above "fancied" horses. I know these were short but they were big prices when you consider what they are now (Barracouda, Best Mate & Moscow).

• 2 weeks later...

Re: update on prices RIGMAROLE RULES IN KINGWELL Rigmarole leapt up the ante-post market for next month's Smurfit Champion Hurdle with an impressive victory over Intersky Falcon in the Axminster Kingwell Hurdle at Wincanton on Saturday. It was the highlight of a successful afternoon at his local track for trainer Paul Nicholls as he and stable jockey Ruby Walsh dominated the card with an 18.5/1 treble. The fast-improving Rigmarole (3/1) quickened past 8/13 favourite Intersky Falcon on the run to the final flight and pulled clear on the flat to win by three and a half lengths. In doing so, he became as short as 9/2 second-favourite behind Rooster Booster with William Hill for next month's Champion Hurdle. Irish layers Cashmans initially offered 10/1, but were soon forced down to 8s, and that may have gone by the end of the afternoon. The Tote and Paddy Power were next best at 6/1. Coming on the back of a 70-day break during which Nicholls had freshened the gelding up, it was a most impressive performance. "Roll on Cheltenham!" smiled the winning trainer. "After he won the Bula last time everyone was saying how Rooster Booster had been unsuited by the slow pace, but it had been just as bad for our fellow, who managed to accelerate up and win. "He's got a serious chance in the Champion on that form. We have left plenty to work on between now and then and I am absolutely delighted. "He obviously loves bowling down the hill at Cheltenham and we know he has a great turn of foot. "The only negative today was the course, as he had been beaten twice here, but he is a different horse these days." Former England footballer Terry McDermott, the head of the partnership which owns the runner-up, was gallant in defeat. He said: "We were beaten by a better horse on the day and I've got no excuses, but what I would say is that we set it up a bit for the winner. Maybe at Cheltenham, if we can get a lead off another horse, we might get a different result." Intersky Falcon, who beat Rooster Booster in Kempton's Christmas Hurdle, is now out to 10/1 from half that price with Coral for the Champion. Nicholls' other runner in the race, Perouse, was reported to have bled from the nose.

Re: update on prices VIC ADVERTISES FESTIVAL CLAIMS By PA Sport Staff Our Vic took the plaudits with a highly impressive victory at Ascot but connections are still pondering their options for next month's Cheltenham Festival. Under a confident ride from Timmy Murphy, who was substituting for the injured Tony McCoy, the six-year-old jumped impeccably and came home six lengths clear of Rosslea in the Amlin Plus Reynoldstown Novices' Chase. Trainer Martin Pipe was keeping his cards close to his chest regarding speculation that this brilliant performance from Our Vic would send him to Cheltenham for the Royal & SunAlliance Chase, with stable companion Therealbandit going for the Tote Cheltenham Gold Cup. "There's lots to think about and we'll think about today first," said the winning handler. "He will be declared for a couple of races at Cheltenham at the five-day stage and there's nothing definite. "He's in the Cathcart, Royal & SunAlliance Chase and the Arkle and it might depend on the ground." Despite their reluctance to commit to firm plans, Pipe and owner David Johnson were clearly delighted with their charge. "Our Vic jumped well and did what we had hoped and probably did it easier. Rosslea is quite a decent horse and as that was only our fellow's second chase. I'm very pleased. He's a big strong fellow who could do no more," continued Pipe. Our Vic, sent off the 11/10 favourite, showed a tendency to edge left throughout the race but was always going like a winner and came to take it up two out. Johnson added: "He was pretty impressive for a novice going the wrong way around. That's a real handicap, jumping left at Cheltenham!" Our Vic received a best-priced quote of 5/1 (from 12/1) for the Royal & SunAlliance Chase from Coral, who also cut him to 5/1 from 10/1 for the Cathcart. Therealbandit is a 5/2 chance for the Royal & SunAlliance Chase and 12/1 for the Gold Cup with William Hill. Jim Culloty, who partnered Inca Trail to victory in the opener at Wincanton, completed an across-the-card double on Yardbird in the Amlin Novices' Hurdle, beating Petite Margot by three-quarters of a length. The 3/1 favourite led a mile from home and Culloty kept enough in the tank to beat the runner-up, who appeared to be going ominously well. Terry Biddlecombe, assistant to winning trainer Henrietta Knight, said: "Yardbird deserved that win and three miles helped. When he was beaten last time at Kempton, the ground was a bit quick. He will make a nice novice chaser as he's a very good jumper." Commenting on Rosslea's defeat. Biddlecombe added: "He ran a very good race and he will go for the four-mile National Hunt Chase at the Cheltenham Festival." Trouble Ahead defied the years to score in the Amlin Plus Handicap Chase by two and a half lengths from Supreme Catch. The 16/1 winner was sent to the front two out by Jason Maguire and despite the runner-up's best attempts to catch him on the run-in, Trouble Ahead had too much speed and denied Culloty a treble for the day. Maguire does not ride for Venetia Williams too often, but with Sam Thomas otherwise engaged at Wincanton, the jockey picked up the spare due to owner Sharon Nelson having horses with his principal trainer Tom George. "I'm not that surprised as he has run well all season," said Williams' representative Jerry Roberts. "There are no plans as he is 13 - just more of the same!" Marcus Foley sustained a numb wrist after a nasty fall on Regal Exit and missed his final two rides of the day. A drop in trip for Full House worked the oracle in the Amlin Handicap Hurdle as he was eased down on the run-in by Tom Doyle to win by 11 lengths from River Pirate, having taken up the running heading towards the home straight. Paul Webber had run the 11/2 chance over two miles five furlongs on his previous start in a novices' hurdle at Kempton, but an extended two miles here seemed far more suitable. The Banbury trainer said: "He's shown a lot of ability at home, but I ran him over too far at Kempton. "I bought him from Paul Cole, who said he could be a nice horse in time. "He's developed into a strong horse and he may be even better on better ground than this." The son of King's Theatre was running off a handicap mark of 98, but a huge hike in the weights may be in the offing. "He may not be on 98 for very long," laughed the handler, "but who cares? He'll make a lovely novice chaser. That's his exciting year, I think, and he shows a lot of speed." First-season permit-holder Laura Sheen struck in the opener with Time To Shine. The five-year-old, returned at 100/30, benefited from the final-flight fall of Lalagune, who still held every chance at the time, to beat 5/6 favourite Feel The Pride by 13 lengths in the Amlin Mares' Only Novices' Hurdle. Sheen set up in Epsom around four months ago, having previously worked for trainers Brooke Sanders, Nick Littmoden and Harvey Cyzer. She has five horses in training, and Time To Shine has now provided her with both her career successes. Sheen said: "I've had Time To Shine since May. She had seven months off and then won first time out for me at Folkestone. "This is a bit of a shock really, and she will be a better mare over fences next year." Strong Magic gained a deserved victory when heading Ice Cool Lad on the run to the last fence before going on to win the Amlin Handicap Chase by seven lengths. The 12-year-old (8/1) had been placed on his last three outings and provided a much-needed success for trainer John Cornwall and jockey Richard Hobson. Cornwall, who is in his third season with a full licence and trains nine horses, said: "This horse has been great for us, winning three times - here, at Liverpool and at Huntingdon. At the end of the season he'll go to a point-to-point home. "These Strong Gales are great and it's a shame that it's the last of the vintage. It's great to have a runner at Ascot, let alone a winner. "Richard rides most of my horses. That's his fifth winner for us and he's grossly underrated." Dominic Elsworth was the beneficiary of Foley's earlier accident when he rode The Thunderer to a three-and-a-half-length success over Senor Sedona in the concluding Amlin Standard Open NH Flat Race for Nicky Henderson. The trainer believed the better ground encountered by his charge suited him more than on his last run.

Re: update on prices Cheltenham is very much on the agenda for Thisthatandtother, who followed the path trod by last year's Arkle Chase winner Azertyuiop as he took the R.O.Dando & Sons Builders Novices' Chase at Wincanton. Thisthatandtother (3-10) was slashed to just 2-1 to follow up the win of his stablemate by William Hill, although 3-1 is still on offer with Coral and Ladbrokes. With the exception of a disappointing effort when second at Kempton on his latest start, the eight-year-old has now won the same three races as Azertyuiop en route to Cheltenham and according to Nicholls, compares favourably. "We can just forget that Kempton run," he said. "I should have known it was a mistake but we thought he would win it and pick up some prize-money. "He came back with sore shins after the race and I have just left him alone since and got him fresh and well, and the three weeks between now and Cheltenham should be just right to get him spot-on. "He is a different type of horse to Azertyuiop but I would say that he has as much ability."

Guest whoneedsrio

Re: update on prices Good posts aykay, a lot of work put in there. Theres a piece here from the Racing Post site today, thought it might be of interest. DAVID JOHNSON on Sunday gave the strongest indication yet that Therealbandit will take on Best Mate next month by revealing he would "need convincing" not to run his star novice in the Tote Cheltenham Gold Cup. Johnson's comments came 24 hours after his Our Vic had dazzled Ascot racegoers with a stunning success in the Reynoldstown Chase, achieved in a manner which on Sunday triggered a "raging torrent" of Royal & SunAlliance Chase support. Although adamant that Therealbandit - removed by Ladbrokesfrom its Royal & SunAlliance betting - and Our Vic will not run in the same race at Cheltenham, Johnson on Saturday could provide no indication as to which events the two novices would contest at the Festival. However, while stressing that no decisions had yet been taken, Johnson on Sunday agreed that he and trainer Martin Pipe might be wise to run Therealbandit in the Gold Cup, leaving Our Vic free to start as favourite in the three-mile novices' championship. "Jair du Cochet beat Best Mate at Huntingdon and you can't run away from one horse," said Johnson. "If you look back to the Pillar Chase, Therealbandit would have had to have come first or second but for coming down and, hypothetically, if he had beat Jair du Cochet he would be 5-1 Gold Cup second favourite. "The obvious thing would be to go for the SunAlliance with Our Vic and take our chance in the Gold Cup with Therealbandit - he's a hardened horse and has had several runs, and more over fences than Our Vic. "That would be the reasonable assumption. It's the obvious thing to do and I would need convincing to do otherwise, but we don't want to make our minds up yet." Seems I was thinking along the same lines as the owner before the pillar chase, we shall see. Cheers, Rio.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bowles10

Re: update on prices I rec'd some great stat analysis from Cheltenham today & will post up their thoughts in the next few days. Should help narrow down the fields a bit if you believe in the stats ! Only 7 days to go !! Can't wait. :nana Won't be betting now until the day of the races. I am now heavily interested in where Hardy Eustace is entered, as I think the Irish know what that horse can do on that track. If it runs in one of the handicaps GET ON!

Guest julzieie

hardy i believe that hardy eustace will run in the coral cup only if rhinestone does, as he will have no weight worth backing now on a non runner no bet basis, ladbrokes 20/1