** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Wimbledon (M+F)

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Wimbledon (M+F) Anyone within proximity of SW19 at the moment who thinks there's still play left before today draws to a close? :eyes This is certainly the worst Grand Slam weather-wise - atrocious weather is as synonymous with Wimbledon as the names Bjorg, Sampras and Federer...

Re: Wimbledon (M+F) Plays from the show courts:

SportTennis
EventWimbledon
SelectionMASSU v Murray
Strength10/10
Date27/06/2006
Bookmaker/PriceCoral @ 3.25 (Back)
ReasoningI just have to make this play, as Murray has been pathetic since sacking Petchey and I hope he gets a beating tomorrow. At Queens and Nottingham he looked woeful and losses to Tipsarevic and being taken apart by Seppi isn't good. His wins against Tursunov and Mirnyi were both matchups that realy favoured him, but up against solid baseliners he went really passive and was awful. I think he'll come into this with a similar game plan and it's down to a lack of coaching and it will really play into Massus hands. There will be a lot of pressure on him, and the Wimbledon crowd have only really seen him play well, they could really get on his back if it isn't going well. Massu loves the big match atmosphere and he could thrive in these conditions. I know Massu isn't much good on the grass, and hasn't done much at Wimbledon, but this is totally a play against Murray. Take this at Corals as they settle so long as the match has started, and theres always a decent chance of Murray hurting his ankle or his back or being sick or cramping or needing a burger, especially over 5 sets which Massu would love to grind out.
SportTennis
EventWimbledon
SelectionHENMAN v Soderling
Strength10/10
Date27/06/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 1.61 (Back)
ReasoningThis is the usual patriotic play on Englands finest. Tim was on fire at Queens, and even ran Hewitt very close in the semis (he was robbed!). That's the best preparation he's had for Wimbledon for a good few years and I can really see him getting through this and fancying a go at Fed in the 2nd round. Soderling was pretty good at Nottingham, but his game is pretty one dimensional and I think Tim can take it apart, especially if he's returning well. We saw against Gasquet that Soderling doesn't like the ball down low, and that is something Henman can certainly take advantage of. I think he's a solid favourite for this first up on Court 1.
SportTennis
EventWimbledon
SelectionPHILIPPOUSSIS v Mathieu
Strength10/10
Date27/06/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.61 (Back)
ReasoningMathieu has a shocking record of 3-9 on grass and lost in the first round of Queens and Nottingham so I see no reason to fancy him in this. Philippoussis looked pretty good at Queens, beating Moodie and Grosjean (wow!) and pushing Gonzalez pretty close. He always seems to get his act together for Wimbledon and I think he's a good solid favourite here.
Sport Tennis
EventWimbledon
SelectionRUSEDSKI v Safin
Strength10/10
Date27/06/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 2.76 (Back)
ReasoningI think this is a really big price for Rusedski, who looks to have overcome his hip strain suffered at Queens. Safins form this very has been very poor and he's had quite a few first round lossed. I'm not convinced of his game of grass despite a couple of decent wins at Wimbledon last year and a run in 2001. Also mentally he's collapsed in a lot of matches this year and I think the way Rusedski plays could really wind him up, especially with the crowd against him. If Rusedski serves well he has a very good chance in this, and certainly shouldn't be this big a price.
I'll look into the hundreds of matches on the outside courts later tonight:ok

Re: Wimbledon (M+F) any thoughts on Gaudio v Faurel? I don't know much about Faurel but looking at Gaudio's record he seems to be someone who turns up without any preparation on grass just to collect his 1st round appearance money. He hasn't even shown up at all the last 2 years. Faurel won 2 matches in qualifying before losing to Arthurs in 4 sets so at least has a bit of practice on the surface. He's available at 2.75. I think I've just talked myself in to playing this one.

Re: Wimbledon (M+F)

SportTennis
EventWimbledon
SelectionLOPEZ v Ljubicic
Strength10/10
Date27/06/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 2.72 (Back)
ReasoningI know he's having a bad year, but this looks like a cracking price on a guy that saves his best for Wimbledon. Lopez has a 12-4 record in the main draw here and has put in some cracking performances the past few years. He won a couple of matches at Nottingham last week which is an improvement in form however he never usually does well in the warm up events so I'm happy with his form coming in. Ljubicic should have a great game on grass but I saw him at Queens and he really can't move on grass. He's going to have a very tough time here with Lopez's swinging lefty serve, little slices he plays well and chip charging putting more pressure on Ljubicic than usual at the back. Really fancy the Spaniard to come through here.

any thoughts on Gaudio v Faurel? I don't know much about Faurel but looking at Gaudio's record he seems to be someone who turns up without any preparation on grass just to collect his 1st round appearance money. He hasn't even shown up at all the last 2 years. Faurel won 2 matches in qualifying before losing to Arthurs in 4 sets so at least has a bit of practice on the surface. He's available at 2.75. I think I've just talked myself in to playing this one.
It looks pretty good for an outsider mate, but I don't like touching LLs:unsure. I also think Gaudios draws here haven't been great with his loses coming to Fish, Youznhy, Canas, Chang (who was ranked 24 at the time). Would you really expect him to beat any of those? To his credit he did take two of them to 5 sets which isn't bad. It also makes you wonder why he's turned up this year after a two year gap:unsure :unsure. Apart from that I think Faurel is a decent shot, he looks to get his best results on quick surfaces, but I have to say I've never seen him play:$ :$.

Re: Wimbledon (M+F) I dont know what offers other bookies are doing or how competitive Ladbrokes prices are but just been on the site and noticed this. WIMBLEDON OFFERS Wimbledon is underway and we have an exciting new offer to bring you! Place a bet on the result of any Wimbledon Men's Singles match, and if your selection leads two sets to love and goes on to lose the match, we will refund 50% of your loses up to £250. (Single bets only)

1. Have a bet on the result of any ladies singles match and if your player wins 6-0 6-0, we will double your winnings.
  2. Have a bet on the result of any men's singles match and if your player wins 6-0 6-0 6-0, we will treble your winnings.
  3. Total bonus per customer up to a maximum stake of £1,000
  4. Bonus applies to win singles only

1. Back any player and loses the match 3-0 in 3 consecutive tiebreaks, we will refund 50% of your losing stake.
  2. Total refunds per customer up to a maximum of £250
  3. Refund applies to win singles only
  4. Refund applies to main Men's Wimbledon Championship matches only

Just thought this might be worth knowing.

Re: Wimbledon (M+F) Looking for a little help. I know its not advised but as Im at work all day Tuesday and Wednesday Ive decided to place a few small stake large accas on the favs to give me an interest with a possiblity of a nice return. Im going to use some tips from here and make some picks looking at stats but my tennis knowledge is rather limited. Any favs that people would strongly suggest avoiding? I dont intend on backing anything shorter than 1/10 so dont worry mentioning any real long odds on shots. Cheers for any help and good luck to all throughout the tournament.:hope

Looking for a little help. I know its not advised but as Im at work all day Tuesday and Wednesday Ive decided to place a few small stake large accas on the favs to give me an interest with a possiblity of a nice return. Im going to use some tips from here and make some picks looking at stats but my tennis knowledge is rather limited. Any favs that people would strongly suggest avoiding? I dont intend on backing anything shorter than 1/10 so dont worry mentioning any real long odds on shots. Cheers for any help and good luck to all throughout the tournament.:hope
Bloomfield looks very dodgy at 1.14 - people are suggesting this is fixed and Berlocq isn't turning up;) but if he is Bloomfield is a crap player and I wouldn't trust him at this sort of price. Berdych at 1.33ish - he can lose to anyone if he feels like it and Hernych was playing very well in Holland last week. I actually think Berdych could be the one to threaten Federer on grass in a couple of years, but he's nowhere near that level yet. Davydenko @ 1.44 - he's pants on grass and playing a guy that did well in coming through qualifiers. In fact, I'd suggest opposing any qualifier is a bad idea, check out S&S;) Murray is a god awful price, as I've already mentioned. Tursunov should win, but he's a very short price, considering he can lose to literally anyone that can hold a racket if he feels like it. Kohlschreiber @ 1.4ish against Sabau. I backed Kohl a few times last week and he did the job but he got injured against Baggy so no idea of his physcially condition. Also up against a guy that came through qualies makes his look a dodgy fav. Hope this helps:ok

Re: Wimbledon (M+F) Two plays from the upcoming to start me off, more on value than confidence. 10pts Chela over Becker @ 2.42 - Never underestimate Chela in the grand slams. I don't know if it's the money, or determination but he doesn't exactly walk away in the first round. excluding the US Open (which he's never done well in) he has only lost one first round since 2003. This year at the French. Which wasn't exactly a shock considering he's really wanting to exert his fast court game and has had little to do with the european clay season all together. 10pts Berlocq over Bloom @ 7.4 - Bloom @ 1.1 is BS IMO. BOTH of these players suck, period. At least Berlocq had shown some form of talent at some stage of his career. I'm taking this on the value side of things. I don't see how Bloom's home court advantage (that he's never taken advantage of before) is worth over 4. He's a WC, so there is no lead up for either of them. Berlocq hasn't played on grass and that has to be said, but Bloom hasn't exactly done much on the surface either.

Re: Wimbledon (M+F) Well, he should be an underdog, just not above 2.4 (2.1-2.2 IMO). If you're curious on why ask Mr I about qualifiers versus out of form players. His GS potential does bring my wallet into it though. And I can't trust Becker over a 5 setter

I dont intend on backing anything shorter than 1/10 so dont worry mentioning any real long odds on shots. Cheers for any help and good luck to all throughout the tournament.:hope
The problem is most of the 'dead-certs' whom you'd want to put your mortgage on to get you out of jail(alright, might be exaggerated, but you get my point) are really those priced 1/10 and shorter(obviously, I don't mean everyone 1/10 or under is safe). Looking at some of the nonsense that has gone on for Days 1 and 2(including some which I'd considered but decided to stay out of) and I could almost begin my encyclopaedic compilation of cnuts you shouldn't touch at anything below 1.50 - Srichaphan, Serra and Karlovic are 3 such muppets. Another thing I've noticed - for one reason or another, those days where big servers(strictly talking about the men's game) who can't do anything but serve dominating Wimbledon seem to be gone(and speaking as a fan, I'm only too happy that this is the current trend). Hence, perhaps, you might want to avoid this lot of clowns who could often be underpriced... :tongue2

I like the odds for Ferrer against Stadler. Stadler didn't beat a TOP 100 player until now! But I don't know if Ferrer is in-form. Any other opinions?
Not sure about this one mate. Never seen Stadler play, but he did come through qualifying and I usually think that's important! His 3 wins in qualifying were decent but this is probably his biggest ever match. Ferrer is the far superior player, but he's not very good on grass. It's not one I'd like to get involved in, but good luck if you go for Ferrer:ok

Re: Wimbledon (M+F) Oh well, not too good today. Disappointed with Massu, he really didn't show up. Couldn't ask much more of Greg, because Safin has really turned up strong here and I thought he was awesome. Looks like playing Gonzalez in the next round, and that should be a cracker. Favourites Philippoussis and Henman came through, Lopez won't get to play until tomorrow.

Not sure about this one mate. Never seen Stadler play, but he did come through qualifying and I usually think that's important! His 3 wins in qualifying were decent but this is probably his biggest ever match. Ferrer is the far superior player, but he's not very good on grass. It's not one I'd like to get involved in, but good luck if you go for Ferrer:ok
Thank you. I changed my mind and didn't made a bet. I think it's too unsure. But they will play tomorrow. I have one more night to think about once more....;)

Re: Wimbledon (M+F) bet365 have Tipsarevic at 2.1 , + 7 games, on the handicap market against Roddick. He has a pretty good serve doesn't he? While I can't see him winning the match he should be able to force tie-break or two. He's had some decent enough results on grass this year and there's been at least one breaker in seemingly all his matches against good opponents.