STT strategy

AJ

They seem to be the "wild west" of the poker world just now, there doesn't appear to be a definetive way to play them, thought it'd be a good idea to have a thread where we share some tip and tricks. A wsie man once said, poker isn't a card game you play with people, it's a people game you play with cards. I play a lot of STT's (3 a night ) and this is what works for me. At the begining, tight / tight / tight. Unless you have a monster hand, there isn't any need to get involved. There will be at least one idiot at the table, it's tempting to take his chips off him, but I let someone else do it, don't want the risk that he'll flop a monster hand. At this stage it's top ten hands only for me. Everything else is folded, I care nothing about losing my blinds, I'm not going to expend a single chip in their defence. Even if i'm sure it's a blatent steal I let it go, building a table image as a tight player is much more valueuble than 20 chips. As we move to fewer players, I losen up, i'll call with marginal hands like K9, A10 etc.. but if I don't flop, I walk away from the hand. Almost regardless of hand, i'll not get seriously involved in a hand with more than 2 other players. I aviod all contact with short stacked players, unless I have a monster hand. They're going to call, why bother with the risk, let someone else content with it. I'm much happier playing 4 big hands in a STT and winning 3, than getting involved with a lot of small pots, I see the point of risk to win 100 chips At the end while heads up, I'm still fairly tight, again I'd rather win 1 or 2 big pots, than defend my blind 15 times. A new thing I've been trying is play the person, not the cards. If I get a excellent pocket pair (KK or AA), then I'll annouce it to the table, as i push all in. "Pair of Aces here, I'd fold if I were you, just want the blinds", there is nothing more certain to get you action, someone will call your all in, and you'll likely double up. Even if no one calls your all in, I make a point of showing the table my Aces. People hate this. This has two advantages, aside from mostly likely winning the pot and knocking a player out, it gives you a free pot later on, Later i'll annouce "Pair of Kings" or "Full house" at the flop, and push all in with trash. No one ever calls. I then show my 72o and someone most likely tilts, and you're pretty much home and hosed. It makes you seem wierd and unpredicable Anyone else got any tips ?????????

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.