** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Snooker: World Championships

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts..

SportSnooker/Pool
EventWorld Championship Outright
SelectionMark Williams (1/2 odds 1-2) (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date01/05/2006
Bookmaker/PriceBlue Square @ 26.00 (Back)
ReasoningWilliams has himself gone on record earlier in the season and said "I can't be bothered practising." This would of course explain his early season form and slide down the provisional rankings. However, 25/1 now looks a very big price for this twice world champion on his recent form. I'm a little surprised that 25/1 is still available after his first round match in China, where he he hit 71 ,116 & 133 in 3 frames, which clearly shows he's in top form. He said about a month ago that he had to start practising hard now because his ranking was suffering, well he clearly has and that makes 25/1 an exceptional price.

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts.. Here's a thought, it's defo one for the form guru's out there! I've got to thinking that the 2 favourites from the China Open are Higgins and Williams, there long drawn out performance on Sunday shows they are both ready to fight it out over long frames and down to the last ball. So it's no suprise to see their outright bets going in, I can easily see why. However I wonder, what are the chances of seeing either of these 2 in the final of the next tornament?? How often does one of the finalists of the previous tornament make it to the final of the next tornament?? Nice to see the early doors Championship thread! To Paul Ross many thanks for the effort of posting the odds, he does it all the time and rarely recieves gratification for it, so thank you Paul! As it's early doors, How about a little World Championship points competition?? If anyone would like to take part, please shout up, we had (very) little one on the China Open and it would be good if we could have a few more players for this one. I would be happy to run it, if enought are interested. C'mon guys, Mullet, Kevshat, Paul Ross, I know your up for it really... ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts.. Thankyou zulu for your kind words. As reigning champion i'm happy to defend my title. As i've said before i'm taking the Murphy price this week e/w. In the world's i love it where you call who's gonna win each quarter. I'll look into it more this week cos i'm away next two weeks so gotta do my ets b4 then so i 'll post my early prices in next couple of days. Robertson as the outsider this year????

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts.. Personally I'd be surprised if he even got past Ryan Day in the 1st round but if he does he'll run into Ronnie in the 2nd round and he's not good enough to beat him over 25 frames. Just looked at that quarter, Williams, O'Sullivan and Higgins all in that quarter is going to make for some excellent matches!

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts.. Looking at the draw, if Davis can be near to his UK Championship form then Skybet have massively overpriced him. I'm personally not one who buys this Shaun Murphy hype and with him being the only partially big name with any form in that quarter at 150s the nugget can give us a run.

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts.. The thing you have to look at here is who has the stamina to win it, this is a 2 week long tourny. Higgins is playing very well, but has had too much success this season for me, and I have to question if he has the mental stamina considering how many matches he has won, and the price is too short. Williams not just because 25/1 was ridiculous, but because he will probably be one of the freshest players in the tournament having had a disastrous start to the season. He has hit form at the right time, is a twice world champion and a player everyone genuinely fears. :ok

Good point Kev. I dont actually have a draw sheet that you must have so dont know who will meet who etc if they progress through round 1. I agree Davis is overpriced though.
The draw sheet is on the World Snooker website mate. Boss, given the freshness point you make and his previous record in this Matthew Stevens must be a runner particularly as in he's in the (supposedly) easier half of the draw?

The draw sheet is on the World Snooker website mate. Boss, given the freshness point you make and his previous record in this Matthew Stevens must be a runner particularly as in he's in the (supposedly) easier half of the draw?
Good point Kev, but all my instincts say he is playing nowhere near what he needs to be and is severely mentally damaged at this venue now. :(

Good point Kev' date=' but [b']all my instincts say he is playing nowhere near what he needs to be and is severely mentally damaged at this venue now. :(
You could have said that most years to be fair mate! Good point about his mind at the venue but if he came through the top half of the draw then I can't see him being favourite for the final which could benefit him.

Yeah' date=' but I just get the feeling this year more than ever, he's all over the shop! Remember I backed him last year too, instincts mate I never go against them. ;)[/quote'] Quite right too mate. I don't actually believe Stevens will win it either, just making the point that he's fresh. One chap who is fairly fresh and only had an average season by his expectations is Hendry, another who is in the top half of the draw but I'm not sure if his game is good enough to hold up through this.

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts.. Hi guys. All good points. Stevens is a match player thought same as williams, lee doherty etc. I really fancy lee to get through a couple of rounds. I'm goona put my posts up now because i'm going signapore/thailand for two weeks so i won't have time otherwise so here it goes.

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts.. Murphy has the easiest quarter. He's 6/5 to win that, shorter than any other player. 9/4 to reach the final but 13/2 to win it!! He will not have higgins, hendry williams and o'sullivan in his half, the danger players. Big fancy 5 points each way Murphy at 7.5 with Bet365

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts.. Lee will have to beat Carter in the 1st round which is my nap of the tournament at 1.62 at the mo with VC. I'm sure you can get a better price nearer the time but Lee has beaten some steady players and Carter has always flattered to decieve in the Embassy. Then he will probably come up against Robertson as he facies Hunter. Robertson is a very good up and coming player but i feel experience counts for alot in these longer matches and i'm confident Lee can progress. Then he faces Hendry assuming he beats Dott assuming he beats Parrot. By then i think 5/1 will be value and he has a chance of beating Hendry 5 points Lee wins 3rd quarter at 6.0 with VC bet

Saturday 15 April 2006
Player 1Player 2bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
sp.gifCarter v Lee (08:00 BST)2.251.71sp.gif103%
sp.gifDavis v Hicks (08:00 BST)2.101.90sp.gif100%
sp.gifDoherty v Hawkins (08:00 BST)1.702.25sp.gif104%
sp.gifDott v Parrott (08:00 BST)1.363.25sp.gif105%
sp.gifHiggins v Selby (08:00 BST)1.165.50sp.gif104%
sp.gifKing v Maguire (08:00 BST)2.751.47sp.gif105%
sp.gifMurphy v Wattana (09:00 BST)1.304.33sp.gif100%
sp.gifMonday 17 April 2006
Player 1Player 2bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
sp.gifHamilton v Williams (08:00 BST)3.201.41sp.gif103%
sp.gifHunter v Robertson (08:00 BST)2.741.50sp.gif104%
sp.gifStevens v Swail (08:00 BST)1.403.20sp.gif103%
sp.gifTuesday 18 April 2006
sp.gifBond v Hendry (08:00 BST)5.501.20sp.gif102%
sp.gifFu v McManus (08:00 BST)2.201.72sp.gif104%
sp.gifHarold v O'Sullivan (08:00 BST)6.501.10sp.gif107%
sp.gifWednesday 19 April 2006
sp.gifDay v Perry (08:00 BST)1.842.00sp.gif105%
sp.gifEbdon v Holt (08:00 BST)1.502.62sp.gif105%
sp.gifGray v White (08:00 BST)2.001.83sp.gif105%

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts.. The dates and times are not right, but that will sort itself out nearer the time. Updated prices:

Saturday 15 April 2006
sp.gifBond v Hendry (08:00 BST)6.501.20sp.gif99%
sp.gifCarter v Lee (08:00 BST)2.251.71sp.gif103%
sp.gifDavis v Hicks (08:00 BST)2.101.83sp.gif103%
sp.gifDay v Perry (08:00 BST)1.902.00sp.gif103%
sp.gifDoherty v Hawkins (08:00 BST)1.662.32sp.gif104%
sp.gifDott v Parrott (08:00 BST)1.363.75sp.gif100%
sp.gifEbdon v Holt (08:00 BST)1.512.75sp.gif103%
sp.gifFu v McManus (08:00 BST)2.201.75sp.gif103%
sp.gifGray v White (08:00 BST)2.001.87sp.gif104%
sp.gifHarold v O'Sullivan (08:00 BST)7.001.13sp.gif103%
sp.gifHiggins v Selby (08:00 BST)1.165.59sp.gif104%
sp.gifKing v Maguire (08:00 BST)2.751.50sp.gif104%
sp.gifMurphy v Wattana (09:00 BST)1.283.75sp.gif105%
sp.gifMonday 17 April 2006
sp.gifHamilton v Williams (08:00 BST)3.251.45sp.gif100%
sp.gifHunter v Robertson (08:00 BST)3.251.49sp.gif98%
sp.gifStevens v Swail (08:00 BST)1.443.20sp.gif101%

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts.. 150/1 on Alan McManus :eek I dont follow the snooker that much so im not sure what kinda form hes in, probably poor going by the price but he is an experienced player who has done well here in the past and wont be scared of playing anyone. Only a small each way bet but its sounds good value to me.

Re: Snooker: World Championships - Early thoughts.. Well, with all the top players playing and in total a potentual (all games down to last frame) 705 frames of snooker, minimum (all white washes) of 368 frames over the torney I'd say that a break of over 143 is a great chance, has there ever been a World Championchip without a 143 or better? I reckon not... Looking back at last 2 years, there has been a 147 in both, BUT apart from the 147's no other breaks totalled more than 143, didn't look any furhter back than that...