World Grand Prix

daveg

The World Grand Prix starts tonight, some brief thoughts from me on the tournament; which is unique on the tour as players must start each leg on a double, which makes for an interesting twist. Michael van Gerwen and Gerwyn Price come in as the favourites, both generally available at 4/1. it’s then 9/1 Michael Smith, 10/1 Luke Humphries and 20/1 and bigger the rest.

I think Price is the most likely winner of the event, but the 4/1 odds aren’t very tempting, particularly as he faces a very tricky first round tie against Danny Noppert. I reckon six-time champion van Gerwen has been handed a relatively easy draw, none of the other seven players in his quarter are in particularly great form right now, so I can see MvG reaching the semis without too much difficulty, but I’d prefer to play a couple of players at bigger odds.

The first is Gary Anderson at 22/1 with Coral (25/1 is available if you have a Betway account). The Scotsman played really well at the recent set of Players Championship tournaments, and is in pretty buoyant mood after taking the title in the last of those events. Doubling is even more important in this tournament, and only Price and Clayton (in this field) are hitting a higher percentage of doubles than Anderson on the Players Championship Tour this year. The former two-time World Champion has nothing to prove to anyone, and seems to be enjoying his darts again - if the Gary Anderson of the last week can turn up on the big stage in Leicester, he has to have a chance this week.

The other player I like is Dave Chisnall, to be honest I was torn between Chizzy and his potential second round opponent Luke Humphries, but Chisnall at 20/1 is double the odds of Humphries. Chisnall is another player in form, picking up a Players Championship title in the last week, and also winning on the Euro Tour eight days ago. Chisnall is a twice beaten finalist in this event in the past, hopefully he can go one better this year.

Nice outright picks. (Although Gary is now half the price he had before the last three PC events... 😀)

Tonight seems tricky as I like quite a few underdogs at first glance... but still, those usually don't win even if they look "promising". Maybe Gilding to beat Cross at around 2,73? Gilding looks kind of stable while Cross is vulnerable, and has a bad record in this tournament.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.