** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

EW Double System

slapdash

I've just posted in my "Large handicap early price system" thread to say that I'm putting the system to rest in its present form: http://punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?p=266091#post266091 You can read that thread for the exact figures, but after about 200 each-way bets I roughly broke even. The place halves of the bets had about a 23% strike rate, with the successful bets having average odds of a bit over 6.00 (for the place) for a gratifying yield of about 46.5%. But the win halves of the bets had only about a 3% strike rate, with the successful bets having average odds of about 18.00 for a less gratifying negative yield of about -47%. Now if these figures for the yields continued to be accurate, then an EW double on two of these selections would be quite profitable in the long run. The average yield on the win double would be about -72%, but the average yield on the place double would be about 115%, for a total yield of about 21%. In fact, even if you ignored the occasional return from the win doubles, the yield from the place doubles would still ensure about a 7% yield. So this is what I'm going to do here. Since the selections are based on getting best early prices, this will need two or more selections in different races where the same bookmaker has the best odds. If anybody is tempted to follow these, I should point out that there will be a low strike rate, so please use low stakes. Based on the figures above, the strike rate for the place doubles would be about one in 19, and the strike rate for the win doubles would be less than one in a thousand (maybe one or two successes a year at high odds). That's not quite right, because the odds will vary, and that should make the strike rate a bit higher. So I'm not going to be discouraged by long losing spells. I'll also be including selections from the other system I use on sports-punter.com, whose profits also come mainly from the place halves of each-way bets. This will increase the number of bets, and since these tend to be at lower odds, it should also increase the strike-rate, but they have had a lower yield from the place bets (but a lower negative yield from the win bets), which should decrease the yield during the long spells between win doubles coming in. If you want to know which system a particular selection comes from, just see if it's a 16+ runner handicap race or not. Many sensible people on this forum frequently preach betting singles rather than multiple bets. I agree with them, but each-way doubles can be an exception. I don't know why bookies calculate EW doubles the way they do, but this is one way that they are generous. Putting EW bets in doubles can turn singles with negative expectation into doubles with positive expectation. I may include trebles as well, I haven't decided yet. These would have even lower strike rate, of course, but hey, I don't do the lottery. All bets will be 1 point EW, and I'll start with a bank of 1000 points (to emphasize that stakes should be small).

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: EW Double System OK, since if there are a lot of selections, a given horse could be included in a lot of doubles, to save myself typing the names repeatedly I'll list the qualifying horses A,B,C,... and then for example BD will mean an each way double on horses B and D on my list, and BDE will be an each-way treble on B,D and E. I'll list qualifiers even if there's currently no other selection with the same bookie to put it in a double with, in case there is one later. For today: A. Gala Sunday 2.20 Pont. B. Farne Island 4.30 Yarm. C. Laylati 4.30 Yarm. D. Lady Algarhoud 5.00 Yarm. And bets, with prices I'm taking and at which bookmaker (some of the selections that don't come from the large handicap system will be at starting price: CD (SP, 33/1) Stan James. AB (16/1, 20/1) Sporting Bet. AC (16/1, SP) Sporting Bet.

Re: EW Double System Lady Algarhoud was a NR, and Laylati (at 9/2) and Taboor (with a 25p Rule 4 deduction) were placed. So two of the five doubles had a return: CD (1.90 points) and CE (6.89 points). Total loss of 1.21 points on the day. Starting bank: 1000 points. Staked: 10 points. Current bank: 998.79 points. P/L: -1.21 points. Yield: -12.10%

Re: EW Double System The price dropped on A before I figured out what bets it should go in. Same for horse H. Bit of a frustrating day. After waiting months for a winner in my "large handicap" system, I get two at 40/1 and 20/1 two days after I stop posting them individually! And the 40/1 shot is useless for this system as it was only paired with losers. One more to run at 33/1, but that's not in any live bets either. I'm going to bang my head against the wall if that wins as well! Still, shouldn't grumble. A reasonable profit on the day, but could have been spectacular if only Stan James had offered 20/1 on Valentino Swing like several other bookies did. angry.gif

Re: EW Double System

A. Quaffle 3.40 Ayr lost B. Ayam Jantan 3.40 Ayr lost C. Irelands Cross 3.40 Ayr placed D. Dabbers Ridge 3.50 Newb placed E. Valentino Swing 2.55 Nott won F. Daniella 3.30 Nott lost G. Jilly Why 3.30 Nott won H. Jakarmi 5.35 Nott placed I. Sound of Fleet 5.35 Nott placed J. Doitnow 3.50 Newb lost K. Linda Green 3.30 Nott placed
Bets that had returns: CD returned 9.3 points. CE 18.6 points. DE 18 points. CDE 55.8 points. Profit on the day of 57.7 points. Starting bank: 1000 points. Staked: 54 points. Current bank: 1056.49 points. P/L: +56.49 points. Yield: +104.61%

Re: EW Double System Just a few thoughts after a rather hectic day for the system. If it involved this much work every day, I couldn't really spare the time to post them all here. But today had a rather spectacular number of selections, and luckily it won't often be like this (on a weekday, at least). When there are a large number of selections and a given horse goes into many different bets, I should really be reducing the stakes. But to keep things as simple as possible, I'll stick to level stakes of one point EW. Also the stakes on trebles (if I ought to be doing them at all) should really be smaller. I backed the trebles myself at half the stakes of the doubles, and probably I should use even smaller stakes than that. Having missed out on more than 400 points profit on sports-punter.com in the last couple of days, I think I may go back to posting my "large handicap system" selections there, even though it's closing the stable door after the horses have bolted home.

A. The Crooked Ring 1.50 Ayr lost B. Cadogen Square 5.05 Catt won C. Piper Lily 5.05 Catt lost D. Dig Deep 5.25 Newb won E. Caly Dancer 5.25 Newb lost F. Zeydnaa 4.35 Catt placed G. Look Again 3.20 Newb lost H. Thyolo 3.20 Newb lost I. Easy Laughter 3.25 War lost J. Icannshift 5.35 War lost
The last couple of days have not been a good advertisement for doing these in doubles, really. Two winners (at 20/1 and 14/1) and one placed, but only one double (DF) had a return of 20.25 points, for a loss of 77.75 points on the day. Starting bank: 1000 points. Staked: 152 points. Current bank: 978.74 points. P/L: -21.26 points. Yield: -13.99%

Re: EW Double System All of today's selections are from my original sports-punter.com system. A. Abbondanza 3.00 Ham B. Find It Out 3.00 Ham C. Fire Two 3.00 Ham D. All For Laura 4.45 Ham E. Slip Dance 4.45 Ham Bets at Betfred. All 6 doubles involving a horse from each race. Prices SP, 25/1, SP, 7/1, 12/1 respectively. 12 points staked.

A. Abbondanza 3.00 Ham placed (20/1) B. Find It Out 3.00 Ham lost C. Fire Two 3.00 Ham placed (7/4) D. All For Laura 4.45 Ham lost E. Slip Dance 4.45 Ham won
So two of the doubles had a return: AE returned 17 points. CE returned 4.59 points. 9.59 points profit today. Starting bank: 1000 points. Staked: 164 points. Current bank: 988.33 points. P/L: -11.67 points. Yield: -7.12%