** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

BILLY HILLS NAP TABLE - March 2023

14 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

Look mate, I am fed up with people regurgitating everything I have ever said or done in the past when I am discussing a current topical issue on the forum.

Is it really necessary?

Fair enough but I suspect it’s inevitable given how vocal you choose to be on so many issues. Essentially people are expressing the view that, at times, you contradict yourself in a way that could be considered slightly hypocritical.

I don’t feel that my referencing something that you said in the context of this ongoing discussion constitutes “regurgitating everything I have ever said or done in the past” so I’ll assume that remark is directed elsewhere. 

Il just give my opinion not wanting to upset anyone but I very much agree with the equaliser 3 winners to win the naps contest should be the minimum and odds on selections don’t count towards the total if we go SP I think that would be a fair rule also bring the same rule into the most winners best of luck to all always gaz

48 minutes ago, Gary66 said:

Il just give my opinion not wanting to upset anyone but I very much agree with the equaliser 3 winners to win the naps contest should be the minimum and odds on selections don’t count towards the total if we go SP I think that would be a fair rule also bring the same rule into the most winners best of luck to all always gaz

I can't argue with this at all and would go as far to say why not 5? But my view is more simplistic, at the end of the day it is a fun comp so i would hope that all members of PL should think they could win it and it does pretty much give everyone a chance to win even if its just through chucking a few darts at the RP. I genuinely like nothing more than to see a fresh name win it now and again. I am not sure what the average points total is but i have around about +40 (median) in my head @MCLARKE would be able to give that figure more accurately than me.

29 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

Not far off. The median is 42. Average is 48. Highest is 125. Lowest is 18.

I'm not convinced about the minimum winners rule, all I would do is pick a couple of odds on shots and then go for the big priced winner.

I believe that Gary did say to exclude odds on shots from the main overall winner part of the comp to avoid the scenario you have described.

For goodness sake it's a ' naps' competition,  nap being a person's best bet of the day whether that be 1/10 or 100/1 is  irrelevant , if bog is defunct then industry sp is the only sensible option . 

Don't be drawn in by a certain 'members' constant attempt to change the rules to suit himself and uses the 'grind 'em down till I get my way'  approach. 

You start making restrictions of highest/ lowest price , minimum winners , what times you can register your selection and some contributors will take the opinion it's just not worth the hassle. 

Simplicity is always the way to go. 

2 hours ago, roger2256 said:

For goodness sake it's a ' naps' competition,  nap being a person's best bet of the day whether that be 1/10 or 100/1 is  irrelevant , if bog is defunct then industry sp is the only sensible option . 

Don't be drawn in by a certain 'members' constant attempt to change the rules to suit himself and uses the 'grind 'em down till I get my way'  approach. 

You start making restrictions of highest/ lowest price , minimum winners , what times you can register your selection and some contributors will take the opinion it's just not worth the hassle. 

We have minimum number of naps of in the competition so why not a minimum amount of winners  it’s nothing but simplicity.I have not taken part in this discussion for my own means at you could not be further from the truth . 

15 minutes ago, Gary66 said:

We have minimum number of naps of in the competition so why not a minimum amount of winners  it’s nothing but simplicity.I have not taken part in this discussion for my own means at you could not be further from the truth . 

Gary that comment was not aimed at you and I apologise. I assumed members could guess who I meant .

5 hours ago, roger2256 said:

How you can possibly say that I am attempting to change the rules to suit myself is unbelievable.  In what way could this be true?  I am merely suggesting changes to improve the fun and challenge of the competition.  It would be easy to exclude all selections that are returned Odds on at SP.  I agree with @Zilzalianto put a ban on all odds on shots.  I emphasise that I am NOT trying to stir up trouble just trying to improve the quality of the competition.  If you believe for one second that when members are playing a tactical game in putting up odds on shots that they are doing so because it is their best bet of the day you are very naive 

12 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

How you can possibly say that I am attempting to change the rules to suit myself is unbelievable.  In what way could this be true?  I am merely suggesting changes to improve the fun and challenge of the competition.  It would be easy to exclude all selections that are returned Odds on at SP.  I agree with @Zilzalianto put a ban on all odds on shots.  I emphasise that I am NOT trying to stir up trouble just trying to improve the quality of the competition.  If you believe for one second that when members are playing a tactical game in putting up odds on shots that they are doing so because it is their best bet of the day you are very naive 

Ermmm was it only you that took my BAN ALL ODDS ON SHOTS followed by Yayyyyyy and a load of laughing emojis seriously? I think most who read that saw/realised that i was sarcastically having a laugh, well i hope they did.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:47 AM, Zilzalian said:

Personally i think the most winners comp is what it is but i have no interest in trying to win 10 points a month i have better things to do with my time however i do like looking at the different strategies that often have to be played at the end of the month to try to win, Its almost the opposite of the naps table where every bugger chucks in 100/1 shots on the last few days. i do think raising the 10 point threshold to say 15 points might make it more interesting. As would raising the Naps comp from 15 selections to 20 selections per month. Either way that's just my casual opinion not a request, I try to post a nap every day just because personally  i think its in the spirit of the competition "nap of the day competition"

I chuck one in everyday ??

18 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

I believe @Gary66commented that it was a great idea. And it is

We all have different views on how we bet and what on but like @MCLARKE says a 1/20 odds on winner is always better than a 20/1 loser, add to that if you think a horse should be 1/4 and you see 1/2 offered  you must back it to good money that's what getting value is all about.

30 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

If you believe for one second that when members are playing a tactical game in putting up odds on shots that they are doing so because it is their best bet of the day you are very naive 

But, to be fair, no less naive than we would be in believing that the month end long shots are necessarily anyone’s best bet of the day rather than a legitimate attempt to win a prize. Bottom line is you can tweak the rules as much as you like and people will adapt their strategy to play to the limit of the rules and others will again feel it’s contrary to the spirit of the competition. I think people have lost sight of the “fun competition” angle as flagged by @Zilzalianalong with keep it simple and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I’d say the odds on shot furore is a massive red herring, no one would be thumping that particular tub if it was about winning the naps comp, the issue is with the prize for most winners. Some people like it some don’t. It would make more sense to call for the prize to be scrapped than odds on shots banned if that’s how you feel. Or you’ll just end up complaining about people picking close to evens shots in a blatant attempt to win the prize.

With regards to minimum winners I’d leave well alone. As @MCLARKEsays, if someone hits a big winner early they could just play at minimum odds (whatever they end up being) in an attempt to secure the win. Better to leave it as it is so that they’re more likely to carry on posting their actual nap for the rest of the month. You could also end up with the comp being done and dusted before month end if the chasing back can no longer hit the minimum number of winners.

Dare I say the competition is fine as it is, resolve the bog issue, stop tinkering and move on. You’ll never please everyone, in life generally and probably more so on here.

A couple of points on this topic :

1. The Most Winners competition is no longer being dominated by a small number of posters playing a tactical game (sadly !). Over the last year there has been a wide spread of winners with I think nobody winning more than once.

2. Nobody has addressed the question of each way players and whether their selections should be ignored/banned. A poster who puts up an 11/2 shot which finishes 2nd in a 8 runner race would win the grand sum of 5 pence; it seems irrational to me to allow that selection to stand whereas a poster who puts up a 1/2 winner wins 50 pence but finds their selection does not count.

March prize winners

@Craig bluenose£60

@rolandcooper£30

@Gary66£20

@Johnrobertson£20

@Carole-dawney£30

@Trotter£10

If you haven't already done so, please PM with pay-pal details and adresses for merchandise. 

Please do not contact PL direct as this may cause confusion.

ALLOW UP TO 21 DAYS FOR PAYMENT