** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat Monday 13th February

7 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

I am in it entirely for the "free" bets.  Why risk any money when I don't have to?  It's just me playing the bookies at their own game

Fair enough if you're in one of your wind up moods rather than after a serious discussion but I think you're playing a game entirely of your own. This is, after all, a betting forum rather than a risk-aversion support group. You have to speculate to accumulate as the saying goes but, with your approach, you're unlikely to need a bigger penny jar let alone have to ever consider what to spend your winnings on. Having a spread of accounts is sensible as is making the best use of any free bets that may be on offer. Opening the accounts purely for the welcome bets is barely worth the effort.

It reminds me of the man who once found a £2 coin on the pavement and was perpetually looking for more every time he went out. He ended up walking with a permanently bent back but made about £6.75 for his efforts over the years. In your case, I also imagine him not leaving the house without a full Hazmat suit on!

Each to his own I suppose.

12 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

I am in it entirely for the "free" bets.  Why risk any money when I don't have to?  It's just me playing the bookies at their own game

You mean the bookies are playing you at their game which is taking your money? i have been on here for 3 years nearly 4 and to my recollection you have never won anything, i do remember you getting a little trixie up once which paid for your loses for a few days. I looked at one of your comments earlier BS Hughes is on fire hes had  two 9/1 winners i shook my bonce thinking you must have totally missed that both were for Trainer P Neville who at that time had had the first 3 winners. i also noted your comment on rolandcooper's nap and "you noted it but couldn't see it winning" why? It was a handicap and if you know anything about handicapping you would know that all the horses technically have the same chance and should theoretically cross the line together. You would also know that this lot are pretty much the bottom of the pile, half are non triers to get their h/cap mark down, they and  the other half are the most inconsistent horses in racing. so even if you backed it because 13 is your lucky number and it was number 13 on the card and it was the 13th of Feb then that is just as good a reason as any other to back it. Roland is lucky in the respect that it won and didn't come 13th.

26 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

Fair enough if you're in one of your wind up moods rather than after a serious discussion but I think you're playing a game entirely of your own. This is, after all, a betting forum rather than a risk-aversion support group. You have to speculate to accumulate as the saying goes but, with your approach, you're unlikely to need a bigger penny jar let alone have to ever consider what to spend your winnings on. Having a spread of accounts is sensible as is making the best use of any free bets that may be on offer. Opening the accounts purely for the welcome bets is barely worth the effort.

It reminds me of the man who once found a £2 coin on the pavement and was perpetually looking for more every time he went out. He ended up walking with a permanently bent back but made about £6.75 for his efforts over the years. In your case, I also imagine him not leaving the house without a full Hazmat suit on!

Each to his own I suppose.

Said before @harry_rag we are wasting our breath or feeding his need for attention.

23 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

You mean the bookies are playing you at their game which is taking your money? i have been on here for 3 years nearly 4 and to my recollection you have never won anything, i do remember you getting a little trixie up once which paid for your loses for a few days. I looked at one of your comments earlier BS Hughes is on fire hes had  two 9/1 winners i shook my bonce thinking you must have totally missed that both were for Trainer P Neville who at that time had had the first 3 winners. i also noted your comment on rolandcooper's nap and "you noted it but couldn't see it winning" why? It was a handicap and if you know anything about handicapping you would know that all the horses technically have the same chance and should theoretically cross the line together. You would also know that this lot are pretty much the bottom of the pile, half are non triers to get their h/cap mark down, they and  the other half are the most inconsistent horses in racing. so even if you backed it because 13 is your lucky number and it was number 13 on the card and it was the 13th of Feb then that is just as good a reason as any other to back it. Roland is lucky in the respect that it won and didn't come 13th.

I'm still digging for gold.... I hope that you can understand that

I open any account I can to benefit from the free bets.

I place a bet just above evens, usually football, there's lots more options. I don't faff about with laying it, on average the returns will be the same.

The free bets I pick a horse between 13/2 and 10/1, I won't bore you with the maths but it's the optimum method, in my humble opinion.

I've managed to grab about £15k in free bets over the last 5 years.

8 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

I've managed to grab about £15k in free bets over the last 5 years.

Not all from new account offers I assume, there aren’t that many bookies!

Not got much appetite for opening new accounts these days if I’m honest, only really the “who are they” merchants left and with the prospect of affordability checks and ID stuff I’m inclined to make do. But I do make as much use of ongoing free bet offers where I can with those firms that still offer me them.

55 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

Not all from new account offers I assume, there aren’t that many bookies!

Not got much appetite for opening new accounts these days if I’m honest, only really the “who are they” merchants left and with the prospect of affordability checks and ID stuff I’m inclined to make do. But I do make as much use of ongoing free bet offers where I can with those firms that still offer me them.

Yep, a lot of it was from the big bookies until they limited me, I still get £5 weekly freebies from Sky and Bet Victor. Also BET365 still give me plenty of £5 free bets and hopefully the £125 Grand National Offer in a couple of months.

I think I've opened about 60 accounts altogether, like you I don't bother if they want ID etc but the rest only take a couple of minutes to set up and make the initial bet followed by a freebie. I usually do 1 a month or so, last one was KWIFF (never heard of them before) but bet £10 on a footie match to get the £20 free bet. The footie won and the free bet on the horses won at 7/1 so I've made a quick £150 for 5 minutes work.

I set up BWIN a few months ago and I've had about £200 of free bets on various sports. So there's still plenty of easy money to be made if you shop around a bit.

4 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

I'm still digging for gold.... I hope that you can understand that

Yep i can understand that but your using a spoon instead of a shovel, told you before you really need to change your thinking its all wrong in relation to betting and getting the most out of it and your money including a bit of excitement. You cant do the "Just singles" because you wont live long enough to make a decent profit on your sort of stakes. My minimum on singles is a fiver, max is £100-£200, had 5 bets at a grand each in last10 years, so you got to use small money for biggish bets and hope for the best, from what i have seen you don't know enough about individual horses to lay big bets even if you wanted to, all your systems or ideas are based on other peoples selections and systems never your own. That's the bit you really need to admit to yourself and the fact you don't put enough time in. How many races do you watch per week? How many results do you study? How many race cards do you study? how much form do you look at? If your not putting in at least 20 hours a week then you will never win, (i dropped down from 40 hours a week to 15 and i lost a little/broke even that year so had to decide whether to put the time in again or drop my stakes right down or pack it in all together. Decide how much you want to spend per day and find a bet to suit. You have been given literally tonnes of advice from members but you just seem to ignore it and carry on this performance cycle over and over with a bit of humming and aghing tiny adjustments. All this rubbish your spouting about free bets is a million miles from what you should be doing @MCLARKE has given good advice above about what to do with the freebies will you ignore him again and just carry on?  Clarkey has just put up a summary of our little lucky 15 experiment  its doing shit at the moment but only costing us £1 a day each. If we can get a double our deficit is gone, a treble and we are quids in. But just as important its a bit of fun and good banter. From what i have seen @LEE-GRAYShas a lot of fun with his small stakes bets and cops a few quid now n then as do I.