** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat-Tuesday 31st January.

59 minutes ago, richard-westwood said:

Change of tack today ...looking through some old papers I found my grandads old value system .which he used to do really well with ....so for old times sake I thought I'd honour it with a few bets 

630 southwell 

Papa stour 5pt ew  11/1 

What’s the premise behind the system Rich?

9 hours ago, DanV89 said:

What’s the premise behind the system Rich?

Well I've seen updated versions bring used nowadays but in essence you find a horse that finished top 4 lto and take,away last o.r from today's o.r ....if result is ..0 ..-1 or -2  then you move to step 2 ....if not no bet 

Step 2  ..take away above races actual racing weight from today's racing weight ....if total is +7 or more you have an ew bet 

I think it' might be  an old system that has done the rounds and he,altered it over time but ive seen other variations on it .... but he had loads of success with it and used it a lot in hcaps on lucky 15s and I know it gave him loads of ew value horses ....winners,at like 16/1 + sometimes 

In tonight's race I upgraded papas 5th to 4th because he started really slow last in better race than this and finished really strongly 5th so I think with better start he'd have been top 4 for certain  o.r 85 that day today 83 = -2 ...then in race he's 8-13 last time ..9-7 today = +8 ....so its a bet 

I couldn't get my head around the step 2 it seems counter intuitive but after thinking about it I guess it means the horse is dropping in class so gets a higher racing weight so it makes sense now ? 

So in essence you have a placed horse that has same or less o.r today and is dropping in class for today's race ....it seems logical tbh ?

1 hour ago, richard-westwood said:

Well I've seen updated versions bring used nowadays but in essence you find a horse that finished top 4 lto and take,away last o.r from today's o.r ....if result is ..0 ..-1 or -2  then you move to step 2 ....if not no bet 

Step 2  ..take away above races actual racing weight from today's racing weight ....if total is +7 or more you have an ew bet 

I think it' might be  an old system that has done the rounds and he,altered it over time but ive seen other variations on it .... but he had loads of success with it and used it a lot in hcaps on lucky 15s and I know it gave him loads of ew value horses ....winners,at like 16/1 + sometimes 

In tonight's race I upgraded papas 5th to 4th because he started really slow last in better race than this and finished really strongly 5th so I think with better start he'd have been top 4 for certain  o.r 85 that day today 83 = -2 ...then in race he's 8-13 last time ..9-7 today = +8 ....so its a bet 

I couldn't get my head around the step 2 it seems counter intuitive but after thinking about it I guess it means the horse is dropping in class so gets a higher racing weight so it makes sense now ? 

So in essence you have a placed horse that has same or less o.r today and is dropping in class for today's race ....it seems logical tbh ?

Found another qualifier ....evolicatt in 730 South.....5pt ew 5/1 

Just one selection ahead of Southwell's 6.30.

The bumper at fos Las

Endless possibility 

Makes his debut under rules and ran well in a maiden point to point getting into the running before fading into sixth.

May not actually count for much but the winner that day was Atalanta Brave who was about to run up a sequence including yesterday easy win.

Endless possibility 

Each way 

Fos las bumper

You have to be good to win a bumper carrying a penalty but Alcedo went into the notebook when winning his bumper last time out, hosed up in heavy going and I'm hoping that he can go in again today despite that 7lb penalty, backed at 3.55 on Betfair..................2nd place, traded t a low of 1.41, the winner has gone into the notebook, looks sueful.

Good luck today everyone.

Edited by jonjo

Couldn't resist this race

Lingfield 1.15

Goshen goes chasing again.

He has run a big race over hurdles and comes here in much better order than his disasterous debut over fences.

Given that, he is readily opposable even though I’d love him to win here.

CHRISTOPHER WOOD at 7/4 can find out any weaknesses in Goshen’s jumping and attitude today.

Christopher wood to win at 7/4

Double today

2.35 Nc French Paradox 5/2

3.35 Lin Kenny George 10/3 (1 pt win at 5.2)

2 pts win double = poss return of 30.33

Total stakes so far = 3 points

-----------------------------------------------------------

Done in by a springer in the market

4.10 Lin William Philo 1 pt win at 4.1 (It looks to be a worthy favourite to take this race)

Total = 4 pts so far

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very strange running by William Philo; he seemed to only wake up at the end of the race to finish 3rd by a head and a neck

One last go for the end of the month.

5.30 Sou Regal Empire with Tom Marquand aboard 2 pts win at 6.2 for 10.19 profit

Total stakes = 6 points today

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel a little unlucky not to have been in profit this month with my "back bets".  MTD & YTD = -23.70.  I am more than hopeful that I will improve my position next month.

The Lay bets finished with an MTD of -6.40 = YTD.  I did make a few mistakes at first and can only see improvements in the coming months. 

Edited by The Equaliser
RESULTS UPDATE

Southwell 5.30

OKEANOS 

Win

Not disgraced when backed off the boards last time 10s into 13/8 but very slowly away and fourth staying on. Cheekpieces off now and stepped up in trip

BRAVURA 

Win

Second to mohatu last time and that one has gone in again since ( via stewards room). After impeded in the final strides. Arc winning jockey up now for sir mark Prescott.

3 previous winners in this race and likely a very strong gallop which will suit any late finishers just off the pace even though Southwell is a front runners paradise.

6pm

Yet to win on the all weather

ALPHA CAPTURE

Win

Faces a tricky task here.

Already beaten by his nearest rival that defeat came just after winning the Rockingham.

Glorious Angel on a four timer could well continue here but on ratings preference is for the top rated runner to break his duck here.

Added 

Glorious Angel

Win. 

The cover bet here at the prices(if the third horse wins !!)

Edited by sporting sam

Don't you just love that when you back the two in a three runner and they both get beat.

Southwell 6.30

Justcallmepete ran a blinder stepped up in class for the first time to complete a four race streak and the result was better than appeared rating a career best.

JUSTCALLMEPETE

Win

However David Evans is a master schemer and his 

SUN POWER

Each way

Has arrived from Daryl Hollands yard via Mike koch and a spell in Dubai.

He has raced against better horses in three races and dropped in trip has undergone the conditioning a horse only seems to receive in Dubai..... Much improved performer on debut running well until a furlong out and the drop to this distance interesting....

6 hours ago, jonjo said:

You have to be good to win a bumper carrying a penalty but Alcedo went into the notebook when winning his bumper last time out, hosed up in heavy going and I'm hoping that he can go in again today despite that 7lb penalty, backed at 3.55 on Betfair..................2nd place, traded t a low of 1.41, the winner has gone into the notebook, looks sueful.

Good luck today everyone.

If the trainer uses a 7Lb claimer run after the win rather than jockey without then the 7Lb penalty is negated & you often find they can go in again .

5 hours ago, calva decoy said:

If the trainer uses a 7Lb claimer run after the win rather than jockey without then the 7Lb penalty is negated & you often find they can go in again .

Good point.  Horse beaten 3.5 lengths.  Had Venetia put on a 7lbs claimer she may have won?  Let's hope she takes note of your advice Calva, I will ?