** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Sunday 22 January 2023

jonjo

In the lucky last at Lingfield tomorrow I think the Gary Moore trained up and coming Haddex Des Obeaux will take some beating. Just a 6 year old so still more to come you would hope. Last time out the gelding won a small field Class 2 Handicap in impressive fashion to take his tally to 2/2 on testing going. Running here with a penalty of 7lb still leaves him 3lb well in compared to his new mark the next time he runs. Trading around 3 on the exchanges and best priced at 15/8 with the books...meeting abandoned ?

God luck whatever you back or lay tomorrow.

Edited by jonjo
Meeting abandoned

1245 newc 

Trabajo dethecto  8.0 3.6 

Territorial waters   7.8 16.0 

These 2 look strong bets on paper ...trabajo had to run wide lto so actually could rate .2 or 3 higher with a good run .....territorial has hated 7f and I think the drop to 6f is very much what he needs ....he gets that today so will be no surprise if he runs a decent race today ....8pts win trabajo 2pts win territorial 

1pt rev forecast 

Edited by richard-westwood

I like the look of one today running at Thurles today looks way overpiced  its JP  owned runner has been drifting in the betting getting on in years  but   very well in on   some of its better form willling to take a risk at the price and 4place in a 10 runner race  1pt  e/w   2.10  MIDNIGHT MAISTERO 28/1 bog  4 places  1/5odds.

P/l + 42.47pts

Slim Pickings today.

The favourite is very hard to oppose in the opener in Ireland. Willie Mullins runner is prohibitively priced but is unbeaten over rules.

Gavin Cromwell is two handed here and in addition to Brides Hill, the second string 

Malina Girl has collaborative form with the favourite. Has to find 16 lengths on that recent meeting, but a six pound pull gives hope.

MALINA GIRL 

Each way 

She has certainly been played at 16/1 but 12/1 11/1 is available. Realistically only error will see her go better than second against the horse who is unbeaten under rules.

QUERCUS ROBOR 

Win

ran badly last time under a penalty over the wrong trip and having served that now returns to course and distance.

up in ratings but can improve further to land the second contest on the card at Newcastle.

Edited by sporting sam

12.45 Nc Interesting race.  Na Scoitear is arguably the best horse in the race. Not done much but I will take @Bang on's advice and not Lay it as its price is over 10% shorter than the RP forecast price.  Trabacho Detecho doesn't have the benefit of Johnny Peate's 5lb claim this time and is a short price.  Instead I will have 0.50 win on Roger Fell's other runner Territorial Waters at 14/1.  

Time is short so I'll edit this post soon 

2.45 Nc Sir John Monash 0.50 win at 10/1.  Finished in front of Odin Owns You All LTO so why shouldn't it improve again.  Nuts to take 15/8 when I can have 10/1

3.15 Nc Walkining On Clouds 1 pt win at 3.05 (um at 2.92) Running well so looks to be worth napping in the last

2 pts staked

Walking on Clouds wins so a 1 pt profit today.  MTD = -8.26

Edited by The Equaliser
RESULTS UPDATE

In an effort to rekindle a bit of lost interest I've starting compiling some AW speed figures from the first of January

We're now getting to the stage where most of the runners on a card have run since then so I have 1 or 2 ratings for them .... which is obviously not enough for much confidence but there's not much doing today so it'll give me something to make the races a bit more interesting

Here's my top rated for today at Southwell

12.45 - How Exciting 81 (Sou)
1.15 - Third Avenue 81(Sou)
1.45 - Bay Dream Believer 82 (Wolv)
2.15 - Liberated Lad 89 (Sou)
2.45 - Sir John Monash 82 (Sou)
3.15 - Beneficiary 90 (Sou)

One thing that's apparent is that nearly all these have recorded their figure at Southwell which appears to be riding faster than the other tracks at the moment ..... I'm working on some form of real time track allowance to try and even this out ...... eg at the moment Newcastle has been riding slowest of the tracks and I'm trying to come up with an allowance to add to Newcastle figures to try and even this out

Most of the selections above are decent odds ...... Liberated Lad is the only short priced one

Let's see how they get on !

LAY BETS

1.15 Nc Quercus Robur 2.04 at 2.02 = 2 v (2.08).  This horse should certainly appreciate the return to a longer trip.  However, the handicapper has not been kind to it and there are others that could beat it too.  So I think it's worth laying

2.15 Nc Liberated Lad 2.04 at 2.36 = 2 v 2.77 liability.  Has a 5 lbs penalty and is running at the wrong distance so I'll lay this one

-----------------------------------------

Quercus won by half a length which was good going.  Liberated Lad was well beat (Jon Owen said this will win again, haha, so wrong) -0.08 pts so no harm done.  MTD - 6.98

Edited by The Equaliser
RESULTS UPDATE

2 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

1245 newc 

Trabajo dethecto  8.0 3.6 

Territorial waters   7.8 16.0 

These 2 look strong bets on paper ...trabajo had to run wide lto so actually could rate .2 or 3 higher with a good run .....territorial has hated 7f and I think the drop to 6f is very much what he needs ....he gets that today so will be no surprise if he runs a decent race today ....8pts win trabajo 2pts win territorial 

1pt rev forecast 

1st and 3rd ....Good runs ...almost the forecast ....+16.00