** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Grand Prix

Fader

3 minutes ago, Torque said:

On the point of lack of effort @Fader it's a common thing in tennis - which I don't think you follow - and so much so that players sometimes get fined for not giving best effort. That would be an interesting thing in snooker and something I'd quite like to see. It's obviously not an easy thing to detect unless it's something like Craigie the other tournament, but the threat of a fine for not trying might be enough to make some players think twice.

It might also mean that for the better players like Ronnie they'd decide to skip tournaments where they can't be bothered which would give other younger or hungrier players a chance. That would be good for the game I reckon.

Yep, I used to follow tennis and put tips in there but I stopped watching it really and haven't kept up with it. 

I think they should get fined if it's obvious. With somebody like Krygios I suppose it's obvious cause he's playing under arm haha! But it would be really hard to kind of prove it with Snooker. 

Also with that idea, players can't skip tournaments at the moment if they need the ranking points that's the issue. They miss out on big tournaments if they don't protect them and are not in the that top 16 when necessary. 

9 minutes ago, Fader said:

Yep, I used to follow tennis and put tips in there but I stopped watching it really and haven't kept up with it. 

I think they should get fined if it's obvious. With somebody like Krygios I suppose it's obvious cause he's playing under arm haha! But it would be really hard to kind of prove it with Snooker. 

Also with that idea, players can't skip tournaments at the moment if they need the ranking points that's the issue. They miss out on big tournaments if they don't protect them and are not in the that top 16 when necessary. 

Ranking points clearly aren't that much of a motivation - at least in the case of O'Sullivan - so the thinking that they ensure players are always trying seems flawed to me. I'm not sure what the solution is or if there even is one - all I know is a just can't stand watching a match where it seems obvious that one of the players isn't bothered about the result and isn't trying.

22 minutes ago, Fader said:

Did you have a different name @Fader. Can't ever recall seeing you post on the tennis threads.

26 minutes ago, Torque said:

Ranking points clearly aren't that much of a motivation - at least in the case of O'Sullivan - so the thinking that they ensure players are always trying seems flawed to me. I'm not sure what the solution is or if there even is one - all I know is a just can't stand watching a match where it seems obvious that one of the players isn't bothered about the result and isn't trying.

Yeah, I dont think anything would work for Ronnie because he would just walk away from Snooker and Barry, deep down, would hate that I reckon. 

No, I've always had the handle "Fader" Czech would remember when I was in the tennis forums I reckon. Were talking about 6 years or so ago probably. Maybe more

7 minutes ago, Fader said:

Yeah, I dont think anything would work for Ronnie because he would just walk away from Snooker and Barry, deep down, would hate that I reckon.

I'd love to see his bluff called. I don't think he would walk away. He said after the match tonight that he enjoys travelling and playing and all the talk from him in the past about walking away I just don't buy.

10 minutes ago, Fader said:

No, I've always had the handle "Fader" Czech would remember when I was in the tennis forums I reckon. Were talking about 6 years or so ago probably. Maybe more

I've been on there for over ten years and I can't remember you on there at all. Must be my memory.

Just checked and it was Sijsling against Raonic and it was 9 years ago. Now that I think about it I can even remember part of the bet which was Sijsling to win in straight sets which was a big price as Raonic was a big favourite. It came in as well -  you really should get back to the tennis mate.

7 minutes ago, Torque said:

Just checked and it was Sijsling against Raonic and it was 9 years ago. Now that I think about it I can even remember part of the bet which was Sijsling to win in straight sets which was a big price as Raonic was a big favourite. It came in as well -  you really should get back to the tennis mate.

I was more successful at Tennis then I am at Snooker probably lol. I like sports that are very much mental. I was tempted to have a look at the Australian but then I thought I would be very very rusty. I literally haven't watched one match since back in them days mate. 

Joe should really have won that tonight. He should have got that first frame and went 2-0 down and in the end lost it on a deciding frame. Nevertheless, more action tomorrow. Here is the lineup. By end of play tomorrow we'll know the final 8 quarter finalists.

1pms
Trump Vs Brecel
Guodong Vs Day

2pms
K.Wilson Vs Murphy
Craigie Vs McGill

7pms
Allen Vs Lisowski
Saengkham Vs Williams

Few real good matches on tomorrow. I'll be taking Judd to beat Brecel (-1.5 frame handicap) to start us off and Ryan Day to beat Guodong. I had Brecel to beat Perry but it was more because I didn't see Perry doing much or stringing much together. I thought Brecel was OK in patches and he beat Trump easily last time they met but I just think Trump is naturally scoring great on auto-pilot right now and I think he beats Luca 4-1/4-2 at worst. In the other game Guodong has just came from a great win over Neil Robertson but he only hit 2 50+ breaks in that win and Ryan Day has been playing well for a good few months now to be fair to him. One of only a few to really get close to Trump infact.

Third one I'm going with is Kyren to beat Murphy. Murphy beat Carter easy but my word Carter was bad. It's so weird cause I had heard good things about Carter in practice and that but he was horrible against Murphy and missed some absolute sitters. I think Kyren will win that one. Finally, I'm going with Sam Craigie to beat McGill. I have both in an outright pick but Craigie was excellent against Ford. 2-1 down and beats him 4-2 with 2 centuries, a 97 and a 68. 

I'll try another 4-fold seens as it was money back on the last one with it losing by one.

3pts Day to beat Guodong 4/6 paddypower
2.5pts K.Wilson to beat Murphy 4/5 paddypower
2.5pts Trump (-1.5 frames) to beat Brecel evens paddypower
2.5pts Craigie to beat McGill 6/5 paddypower
--------------------------------------------
1pt 4-fold Trump (-1.5) / Day / K.Wilson and Craigie 12/1 paddypower

Let's see if McGill performs like that in the next round. I hope so. With it looking like 1 from 4 today I'm going with Lisowski to beat Allen. Nothing makes sense with snooker at the moment with one performance to the next but Lisowski played far better than Allen in the couple matches they've had 

4pts Lisowski to beat Allen evens paddypower

well this is all going to cr*p. Williams not as good today. Never should have lost that last frame 67-0 up with 67 on. Gotta use your experience there. Nevertheless looks like Lisowski gonna lose too so all going tits up with the outrights lol. My only hope is McGill now. How Allen is going to beat Lisowski here is crazy. That free ball incident was really bad. Lisowski should have gone in to the break 3-1 up.

7 hours ago, charliepie said:

I didn't see any of tonight's matches but can't believe they both lost! The Allen match went on for hours didn't it? I wonder how long Noppon can keep his run going, I guess it would be nice to see him win one but for your sake I'm hoping McGill can get to the final too!

Yeah, really late. Just thinking if Noppon won this event he would have beaten Selby, O'Sullivan, Williams, Allen and potentially Judd Trump.

just the one for me today and it's Trump on the handicap again. Day was terrible against Guodong. Trump wont be. Just 2 50+ breaks for Guodong in that win and I just think Judd is on fire at the moment.

4pts Trump (-2.5 frames) to beat Guodong evens paddypower

5 hours ago, Foo_Fighter said:

McGill to beat Murphy at 2.37 with bet365

I think McGill is way more professional than Murphy these days... 

Hope you're right. Murphy was terrible last season and was blatantly more interested in Golf and commentating but he seems to be playing well again now and has dismantled some good players. Would love to see McGill win today though. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Fader said:

Hope you're right. Murphy was terrible last season and was blatantly more interested in Golf and commentating but he seems to be playing well again now and has dismantled some good players. Would love to see McGill win today though. Good luck.

forgetting your outright, do you believe in Murphy ?

On 1/22/2023 at 4:37 PM, charliepie said:

Allen's been very dull but effective, I wouldn't like to bet on Judd winning another five frames tonight if I'm honest.

spot on. Since when has Allen turned into such a boring player ?