** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing chat -Saturday 14th Jan

3-00 Warwick guetapan collonges 8/1 sky bet although jumping up in class ,really like the form of its last race and could be run on proper heavy ground which should not be an inconvenience has a feather weight for what will be a proper staying contest 

Beat of luck always gazza

The fayre from the ITV today is seven live races from Kempton and Warwick with the two feature races coming in two open looking handicaps in the Lanzarote Handicap Hurdle at Kempton and the Classic Handicap Chase from Warwick. Two good betting heats with extra places on offer from our bookmaker friends. The ground is likely to ride testing at both courses and here’s my thoughts on the seven races.

Kempton 1.30
Only seven go to post for this three miles class 2 handicap chase with all having a chance of sorts. Top weight Enrilo was travelling well at the time when crashing out in the race won by Frodon at Wincanton ten weeks ago and if on song must go well for Messr’s Nicholls and Cobden although the ten week absence is a bit of a worry having taken such a pearler of a fall. Evan Williams’ Annsam was last seen when 6th in the Coral Gold Cup (Hennessy to us old boys!) and having been dropped a couple of pounds is another with a shout. Chris Honour is an under rated trainer based in the West Country and saddles Tile Tapper here who had one of today’s rivals Smarty Wild just behind over course and distance 18 days ago when runner up to Remastered. That was arguably a stronger race than this and he’s the play here for me. Kitty’s Light has fallen to a winning mark and shouldn’t be totally dismissed now that his trainer Christian Williams has found some winning form. Bottom weight Tile Tapper will do for me on ground that should suit with Bryan Carver taking the reigns.

TILE TAPPER 2 points win @ 3/1 BetVictor

Warwick 1.50
Only four got to post for this three mile grade 2 Novices’ Chase. Gordon Elliott is represented by The Goffer, a winner at Thurles in November who chased home the Willie Mullins trained Ha D’or a month later. Elliott is over here with three runners at this meeting and the trio have to be respected. Paul Nicholls saddles the favourite in Complete Unknown who looked one to follow when winning on his chase debut at Ffos Las in handicap company in December and Nicholls has won this race for the last two years. With Harry Cobden at Kempton Lorcan Williams comes in for this plum ride. Outsider Gentleman at Arms has it too do here despite his trainer Stuart Edmunds being in such good form. Dan Skelton’s seven year old mare (the only mare in the race) Galia Des Liteaux flopped when nicely backed at Kempton on Boxing Day in the Kauto Star Novices’ Chase having clouted the second and if able to over look that effort can be a player here. Local handler Skelton is going through a rather quiet spell at the moment by his high standards with just the one winner in the his last 26 runners but I’ll take him to small stakes to defeat the favourite.

GALIA DES LITEAUX 1 point win @ 5/2 William Hill

Kempton 2.05
Pic D’Orhy is likely to be a warm order here for the 2m 4 1/2F grade 2 Silviniaco Conti Chase named after his old stable mate trained by Paul Nicholls. He may well win this but I don’t think he’s any value at the prices with the ground so soft and also carrying a 6lb penalty for his recent victory at Huntington, the Peterborough Chase. Official ratings don’t even have him top rated here with Paint The Dream holding that accolade. A very easy winner at Newbury in November he should be thereabouts today with his owners son Conor Brace riding. We also have a pair of smart re-appearing chasers in Angels Breath who’s now with Sam Thomas having left Nicky Henderson and being off for 1,121 days and Tom George’s Clondaw Castle who’s coming here on the back of a break of 420 days. It’s hard to fancy either after such a long lay off and are easily dismissed. Coole Cody beat the hard pulling Saint Calvados in a match at Ascot eight weeks ago and is now 2lb worse off for 10L. David Maxwell owns and rides the latter and was badly shown up on him in that race and it would be no surprise if that’s the case again here despite the horse wearing a first time hood. I want to be against Pic D’Orhy here although he may have to win by default! I’ll go with Paint The Dream and team Fergal O’Brien.

PAINT THE DREAM 1 points win @ 5/2 bet365

Warwick 2.25
A decent renewal of the Ballymore Leamington Novices’ Hurdle, a grade two event run over 2m 5F. Stuart Edmunds’ Mexico has a bit to find with Ginny’s Destiny and is easy to dismiss but a fair chance can be given to each of the remaining six. Tom Lacey’s Ginnys Destiny is the highest rated of these and having won over course and distance back in November has to be a serious player here under Stan Sheppard. Gary Moore saddles his promising seven year old Givega who’s unbeaten having won a point to point and novice hurdles at Lingfield and Fontwell. This is a step up for him but he could be anything. Dan Skelton’s Grey Dawning did us a favour when winning at Kempton on Boxing Day in a handicap and will love the heavy ground. He should be thereabouts. Knowsley Road is chasing a hat trick of wins following victories at Chepstow at the back end of last year and Paul Nicholls’ six year old who has the assistance of Lorcan Williams is another with claims. A tough race to call but I’ll stick with Grey Dawning who is reportedly highly rated by the Skeltons.

GREY DAWNING 1 point win @ 7/2 bet365

Kempton 2.40
A bumper maximum field of twenty hurdlers line up for the latest renewal of the Coral Lanzarote Handicap Hurdle run over 2m 5F of the Sunbury track. The two least exposed horses head the market in Paul Nicholls’ novice Outlaw Peter who’s making his handicap debut under Harry Cobden having won at Exeter last time by just under twenty lengths and Irish raider Green Glory trained by Charlie Byrnes who impressed when winning on his handicap debut at Leopardstown over Christmas but does have to race here off of a 16lb higher handicap mark. Last year’s winner Cobblers Dream is back to defend his title off of a 10lb higher mark having finished runner up in two novice handicap chases this season. Harry Fry’s Dubrovnik Harry is another who’s been chasing this season having finished third at Exeter in November. He’s lightly raced doesn’t look that badly treated on ground that will suit. Nicky Henderson has a good record in this race and saddles a brace of runners in Pentland Hills who’s also been chasing this season and Rathmacknee (presumably the pick of stable number one Nico De Boinville). Ben Pauling saddles Quinta Do Mar who’s Fontwell win in November has been boosted since by the dual win of the runner up Irish Saint since. He was third and 4L down when falling at the last in this race last year off of the same mark and could run well at big odds. A real minefield of a race but I’ll stick with the Charlie Byrnes runner Green Glory who has to be respected coming over from Ireland.

GREEN GLORY 1 point each way @ 5/1 bet365 1/5th 123456

Warwick 3.00
A good turnout for the feature race of the day at Warwick with fourteen going to post for the Wigley Group Classic Handicap Chase run over 3m 5F. At the head of the market is a rare Willie Mullins runner away from the big festivals in Mr Incredible. He is a bit quirky (has the Timeform squiggle) and has yet to race beyond three miles. Brian Hayes is over to ride him but if he wasn’t trained by Mr Mullins would be at least double his current odds. I’ll be taking him on. Top weight Threeunderthrufive trained by champion trainer Paul Nicholls who will be watching the race from his holiday destination in the Caribean, was last seen when unseating at the first in the Coral Gold Cup at Newbury in November and he like Mr Incredible has yet to race beyond three miles in a race which will surely be all about stamina on desperate ground. Sam Thomas’s Iwilldoit hasn’t been seen since winning the Welsh Grand National 383 days ago and although stamina is his game may just need this. Alan King’s Notachance won this event two years ago off of a handicap mark 9lb lower today. Under Tom Cannon he should be thereabouts with no question marks over stamina and ground. He was however behind my fancy on his latest start at Bangor in November when 11 1/4L away from Richard Hobson’s Lord Du Mesnil who went without his customary headgear that day and ran a blinder to get to within 4 3/4L of Le Milos who went to on top win the Coral Gold Cup at Newbury. He adores soft ground, stays well and is 3lb below his latest winning mark. An out and out stayer he looks a good each way bet to my eyes with a saver on Notachance.

LORD DU MESNIL 1 point each way @ 9/1 bet365 1/5th 1234
NOTACHANCE 1 point each way @ 9/1 bet365 1/5th 1234

Warwick 3.35
The final race of the day from Ed Chamberlin and the gang is a nine runner 3M 1F class 2 Pertemps Network Handicap Hurdle, a qualifier for the final at Cheltenham in March. Two classy Irish stayers head the weights here in Gordon Elliott’s Sire Du Berlais and CIaran Murphy’s Ronald Pump. The former ran a 8 1/2L 4th in this last year and one would imagine it will be the same scenario again with his canny trainer hoping to get the English handicapper to drop him a pound or two with the final in mind. He’s not shown much in three starts in Ireland this season anyway. It’s been awhile since Ronald Pump visited the winners enclosure (November 2019 and 19 runs) and he too is overlooked. Nicky Henderson saddles a brace in On The Blind Side and The Bomber Liston. The most interesting of the pair is the latter who ran 4th to Grey Dawning at Kempton on Boxing Day and will appreciate stepping up an additional half a mile here. The problem with him is that he is running here from 5lb out of the handicap. Charlie Longsdon’s Glimpse Of Gala is a consistent mare who looked good when beating Coquelicot at Kempton over Christmas under 7lb conditional jockey Bradley Roberts. He’s in the saddle once more and should be thereabouts. The Skelton’s Ashton Lad bolted up last time in the Becher where he was always travelling like the winner and came home 2 1/4L ahead of his field. He reverts to hurdles now and appeals as the most likely winner here off of a 3lb lower handicap mark than last time.

ASHTOWN LAD 2 points win @ 11/4 bet365

All odds accurate at the time of writing.

May as well have a shot at weekly jackpot payout and lucky 15s seem to popular so I've rated 4 races and I'm going to put the shortest prices of top 2 rated  together on 1 lucky 15 and the bigger priced together on 1 slip all with betfred ...triple odds 1 winner 

1235 ling Ower starlight  11/4 

145 ling   silky wilky   3/1 

232  weth   iroko    2/1 

240 kemp   outlaw Peter  11/2 

50p lucky 15 

1235 ling   ballyboymoonshiner  5/1

145 ling    tadreeb   7/1

232 weth   captain zebo  10/1 

240 kemp  cobblers dream  12/1 

50p lucky 15 

Shoukd be good for a bit of action 

This Saturday’s big handicap is the Coral Lanzarote Handicap Hurdle at Kempton. This event is named after the top-class racehorse Lanzarote who twice won the Christmas Hurdle at Kempton as well as the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham in 1974.

William Henry won this in 2018 before going on to win at the same distance at the following year’s Cheltenham festival at 28/1. Ibis Du Rheu was 3rd in this before winning at that year’s festival at 14/1.

The race is run over 2 miles and 5 furlongs. 20 go to post and off time is 2.40.

Many bookmakers offer each-way terms of 6 places which makes the race an excellent betting proposition.

CLAIM AN ALLOWANCE

I have looked at the statistics for this race and these are my key conclusions.

1.       I don’t normally favour inexperienced jockeys but the statistics never lie! Jockeys with claims of 3, 5 or 7lbs have won 6 times from 36 attempts. This compares to the experienced jockeys who have 3 wins from 92 attempts.

2.       It is best to sidestep those horses with obvious from. Horses that have had more than 1 win in their last 6 runs have produced 3 wins from 62 runs, those with just 1 win in their last 6 runs have produced 5 wins from 46 efforts.

3.       Horses should ideally have a reasonable rest. Those that last ran less than 24 days ago have won just once from 40 attempts, those that last ran between 24 and 61 days ago have 8 wins from 75 attempts.

Only 1 horse matches these criteria and that is WHIZZ KID. The 7-year-old-gelding is ridden by 7lb claimer Luke Scott and is currently available at 28/1 with several bookmakers who pay 6 places.

Further statistics that may prove relevant.

Those horses at the head of the betting have a poor record with no forecast favourites winning and only 1 2nd favourite winning from 21 attempts.

Lingfield. 

Single. 

1.10. Queens Resolve      11/1            now out to 22/1.      6th

Double. 

1.45. Ling. Street Kid       9/2      unpl

2.25.Wark. Moon Hunter      11/1     P.U

singles & double 

Good luck all. 

Edited by kensland

Quinta do mar     2 40  Kem       £25 ew  18/1       { extra places }    1/20th of a pt staked

Cool Cody            2 05  Kem      1/20th   of a pt win    20/1

Volcano                3 00 War        1/20th of a pt win      25/1

Mexico                 2 25 War         1/20th of a pt  win     16/1

Rebellious Gale   1 37 Faiy/         1/20th of a pt win      10/1

P/L    + 159.10 pt

Edited by black rabbit

12.27 Blood Destiny made an impressive start for the Willie Mullins machine, won quite easily in a race where the 2nd, 5th and 7th have all come out and won. I've taken 2.1 about this one..................................................................................................................WON nice and easy ?

12.55 Makinyourmindup is short at 1.84 but looks a good prospect for the Nicholls yard, made all the last twice and with the runner up franking the form winning next time up can go in again tomorrow................................................oh dear, last hurdle blunder cost him the race, still, surprisingly went off odds against and traded to 1.17 in running.

2.32 Iroko has had just four runs under rules and open to any amount of improvement. Raised 7lb for a course and distance win here in November, a race where he was always in command and asserted near the finish for a convincing win. A few in that race reoppose tomorrow on better terms so it wont be easy, Raffertys Return blundered the last that day and was eased, has won since so will be a danger and I'm having a saver each way on Captin Zebo who is 11lb better off for an 11 length beating in that race. Iroko is around 3.2 and CZ is around 12.5 but as yet there is little liquidity for him.....................WON nicely and 3.2 was nice to get for Iroko?

In runing lay off prices will be played.

Good luck tomorrow everyone.  

Edited by jonjo

A few prices caught my eye
240 kemp Harbour Lake 12/1 bet365 as i type but being backed elsewhere, average 9/1, going easily LTO and found little. not fully  fit? or tune up for this?

240 kemp same race, Pentland Hills 28/1 a few will kick themselves if this Henderson/Cheltenham triumph hurdle winner wins at 28/1

630 chems Gavi di Gavi seems to pop up at decent odds now and again, maybe too high in the weights? maybe but 22/1 is worth the risk.

5 minutes ago, cannotbebeat said:
Warwick
1.15 Third Time Lucki 11/4

2.25 Snake Roll 13/2

3.00 Volcano 11/1

Wetherby
1.57 Hattons Gardens 4/1

2.32 Iroko 7/5

3.42 March Wind 4/1

Chelmsford City
5.30 Non Mollare 16/1

7.30 Poetic Jack 7/1

8.00 Lady Loulou 15/4

Good luck all CNBB.

Good to see you back on here

17 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

This Saturday’s big handicap is the Coral Lanzarote Handicap Hurdle at Kempton. This event is named after the top-class racehorse Lanzarote who twice won the Christmas Hurdle at Kempton as well as the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham in 1974.

William Henry won this in 2018 before going on to win at the same distance at the following year’s Cheltenham festival at 28/1. Ibis Du Rheu was 3rd in this before winning at that year’s festival at 14/1.

The race is run over 2 miles and 5 furlongs. 20 go to post and off time is 2.40.

Many bookmakers offer each-way terms of 6 places which makes the race an excellent betting proposition.

CLAIM AN ALLOWANCE

I have looked at the statistics for this race and these are my key conclusions.

1.       I don’t normally favour inexperienced jockeys but the statistics never lie! Jockeys with claims of 3, 5 or 7lbs have won 6 times from 36 attempts. This compares to the experienced jockeys who have 3 wins from 92 attempts.

2.       It is best to sidestep those horses with obvious from. Horses that have had more than 1 win in their last 6 runs have produced 3 wins from 62 runs, those with just 1 win in their last 6 runs have produced 5 wins from 46 efforts.

3.       Horses should ideally have a reasonable rest. Those that last ran less than 24 days ago have won just once from 40 attempts, those that last ran between 24 and 61 days ago have 8 wins from 75 attempts.

Only 1 horse matches these criteria and that is WHIZZ KID. The 7-year-old-gelding is ridden by 7lb claimer Luke Scott and is currently available at 28/1 with several bookmakers who pay 6 places.

Further statistics that may prove relevant.

Those horses at the head of the betting have a poor record with no forecast favourites winning and only 1 2nd favourite winning from 21 attempts.

Good luck today with Whizz Kid, very nice price should it oblige for you, fingers crossed. I tried having a go and put my own profiler up this morning on horseracebase and ended up with Scarface, Hermes Boy and Mark of Gold, with the last named has a claimer on it ? Not expecting much as you seem to be more of an expert at it than me, despite being with horseracebase for 9 years I rarely use the profiler but have started messing about with it and see where it takes me. Good luck.

0.15  e/w L15 bet365 = 4.5pts - RETURNED 16.44

1.30 Kemp-KITTY LIGHT 14/1-Placed

2.32 Weth- HARD DU MESIL 18/1-Lost

2,40 Kemp-UP FOR PATROL 22/1-Placed

3.00 War- NOT A CHANCE 8/1-Placed

PL +  24.53pts

Today's Total Returns  21.64pts

Running Total  P/L  + 46.17

Edited by Tedthewolf

20 minutes ago, jonjo said:

Good luck today with Whizz Kid, very nice price should it oblige for you, fingers crossed. I tried having a go and put my own profiler up this morning on horseracebase and ended up with Scarface, Hermes Boy and Mark of Gold, with the last named has a claimer on it ? Not expecting much as you seem to be more of an expert at it than me, despite being with horseracebase for 9 years I rarely use the profiler but have started messing about with it and see where it takes me. Good luck.

I use a slightly different method, I concentrate on past profitability rather than strike rates, sometimes it works (mostly it doesn't!). The problem with individual races is that the sample size of data is very small. You can't go back too far as conditions and factors change over time, as an example the Lanzarote used to be run over 2 miles rather than 2 miles 5 furlongs.

58 minutes ago, jonjo said:

Can Horseracebase provide profile details about a horse such as its size and ability to carry big weights or whether suited to skipping along on fast ground , or if it is a long striding horse suited to a galloping track and how it develops over time? The nearest I can find that did this was the Timeform Blackbook which is no longer produced. This is very frustrating for me as an armchair punter.  The information must be out there but I can't find anyone who can provide it  

LAY BET

3.15 Km Quick Draw 2.04 at 2.88 2 v Liability of 3.84.  Looks like it has plenty of competition at 2.5 miles and is possibly vulnerable

I'm missing my Trixies but whittling down short-priced selections has taught me that I was backing too many selections.  Looks like a good day for a Trixie though.  May do one soon but only 0.50 = 2 pts and a 0.50 win bet = total liability of 2.5 pts 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Draw won well so that was a bad selection.  Should have known better to oppose a Henderson horse in form. A loss of 3.84 makes my MTD - 6.52 which is a nuisance.  No worries,  I will keep practising and come up with a decent criteria for my lay bets by latest end of March.

Edited by The Equaliser
RESULTS UPDATE

4 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

Can Horseracebase provide profile details about a horse such as its size and ability to carry big weights or whether suited to skipping along on fast ground , or if it is a long striding horse suited to a galloping track and how it develops over time? The nearest I can find that did this was the Timeform Blackbook which is no longer produced. This is very frustrating for me as an armchair punter.  The information must be out there but I can't find anyone who can provide it  

No, I suspect that nothing out there can provide you with that information, the only way forward on that one would be long form form study and your own notes. But, what you can do on horse racebase is select the individual horses name and then check its weight carrying performances under different weights and on different types of going and distances etc. 

Todays attempt with Lucky 15 all with Sky for the extra places

3.00 War. Grumpy Charlie (won for me last time) 5/1 5 places

3.35 War.  Level neverending ( Low weight Elliot on fact finding) 9/1 3 places

2.40 Kemp Mark of Gold 22/1  7 places

3.50 Kemp Fransham  7/2  3 places

Trixie & Win bet

1.45 Lin SIlkie Wilkie 9/2

2.32 Weth Iroko 11/8

3.35 War Ashtown Lad 9/4

One 0.50 win Trixie - 2 pts poss ret 40.53

2.40 Km Outlaw Peter 0.50 win at 7/1 (Paul Nichols loves the big Saturday events)

= 2.50 pts

NB I will keep these separate from my "LAY" bets records

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One winner and two seconds so not a bad start.  Skelton mopping up everywhere but not on Ashtown which was sad.  MTD = -2.50

Edited by The Equaliser
RESULTS UPDATE

21 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

May as well have a shot at weekly jackpot payout and lucky 15s seem to popular so I've rated 4 races and I'm going to put the shortest prices of top 2 rated  together on 1 lucky 15 and the bigger priced together on 1 slip all with betfred ...triple odds 1 winner 

1235 ling Ower starlight  11/4 

145 ling   silky wilky   3/1 

232  weth   iroko    2/1 

240 kemp   outlaw Peter  11/2 

50p lucky 15 

1235 ling   ballyboymoonshiner  5/1

145 ling    tadreeb   7/1

232 weth   captain zebo  10/1 

240 kemp  cobblers dream  12/1 

50p lucky 15 

Shoukd be good for a bit of action 

2nd 4th 1st ...only 1 winner iroko so 6/1 small return but I'll do it every week and I think one day it'll come good and it's a fun bet tbh 

2 hours ago, jonjo said:

Master Sully 13/2 in to 16/5 and wins ata Bfsp of 4.5, was 12 early doors.

40 minutes ago, richard-westwood said:

2nd 4th 1st ...only 1 winner iroko so 6/1 small return but I'll do it every week and I think one day it'll come good and it's a fun bet tbh 

Thing is with a lucky 15 it is a fun bet,  you can set your own stake small or large. but more importantly it can be very exciting when you get consecutive winners at reasonable prices, you cant buy that buzz even though you don't get them often, when you can get your money back for 1 winner at as low as 7/1 you can't knock it.