** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Quarter-Finals Predictions > Dec 9th & 10th

worldcupodds1.jpg

The 2022 World Cup Quarter-Finals have been confirmed now. It's been a tournament of shock results but only one team is a surprise package in the last 8 of the competition after Morocco knocked out Spain on penalties in the last 16. Can they now knock out Spain's neighbours Portugal? Croatia were a team looking dead on their legs in the group stage but seem to be growing into the tournament. Will they stun pre-tournament favourites Brazil who dismantled South Korea in the last round? Netherlands take on Argentina in a game that will evoke memories of the 1998 World Cup Quarter-Final epic that saw Dennis Bergkamp score that iconic goal in the dying embers of the game. Then it's England versus France. Some are saying that is the game that will produce the eventual winner of the tournament. Others will say the other 6 teams also left in the competition will have something to say about that! It's set to be a cracking closing stages of this tournament. Hit us with your predictions down below! :ok

Croatia vs Brazil 

We didn't see the best of Croatia in their last Round of 16 match against Japan, perhaps because their midfield was kept quiet. Modric, 37, hardly made any impact on the game before he was substituted. However, despite being a goal down at the break, Croatia responded well in the second half and got level through a lovely curling header from Perisic in the 55th minute and came close to winning the game in regulation time. The match finished in a 1-1 draw, and the teams couldn't be separated in extra time, so the quarter-final place was settled on penalties. This shoot-out lacked drama, much like the match itself, as Japan missed three of their opening four spot-kicks and Croatia converted three of theirs, and the tie was decided before either team had to take the fifth penalty. However, the World Cup 2018 runners-up will have a tough challenge this time as they take on Brazil.

Brazil put on one of the best first-half shows in World Cup history as they scored four times without reply against an unorganized South Korea side. Vinicius Junior got the ball rolling in the 7th minute with the opening goal, and a Neymar penalty 6 minutes later made it 2-0. Richarlison scored a wonderful team goal in the 29th minute, and Paqueta scored a fourth in the 38th minute. South Korea was far too open and played right into the South Americans' hands. The second forty-five saw Brazil take their foot off the accelerator, and South Korea managed to pull a goal back through a deflected effort from Paik Seung-Ho, but it had no bearing on the outcome as Brazil ran out 4-1 winners. Brazil wants to go through the semis after missing that stage in the previous tournament, and they look pretty confident.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction                                                                            

Croatia hasn't impressed in the World Cup so far, as they booked just one win, followed by three draws. Brazil is a firm favorite in this encounter, and we believe the South American side will meet expectations.

Goals Market Prediction

Both teams can provide damage to the opponent's defense, and we expect to see an entertaining game. This one should go over a 2.5 margin on Friday evening. 

Brazil AH +1 @ 1.67

Over 2.5 FT @ 1.85

Correct score 1:3 @ 12.00

Netherlands vs Argentina

The Netherlands never looked like losing their last Round of 16 match against the USA, taking the lead after 10 minutes through Depay. Blind scored a rare goal in first-half stoppage-time to make van Gaal's half-time team talk that much easier. Although the US pulled a goal back through Wright, the Netherlands responded really well and sealed their passage into the quarter-finals with an 81st-minute goal from Dumfries that made the final scoreline 3-1. Oranje didn't have much trouble reaching this stage so far, but the toughest challenge is ahead of them. Nevertheless, Louis van Gaal's side will try to overcome that one, too.                                                                                

Argentina dominated the first half against Australia but did find it hard to break the underdogs down until the 35th minute when who else, but Lionel Messi fired the South Americans in front. Alvarez added a second goal in the 57th minute, and Argentina looked like they were going to cruise to victory. However, an own goal from Fernandez in the 77th minute gave Australia hope. With virtually the last kick of the game, Australia almost equalized and had goalkeeper Martinez to thank for keeping the scoreline at 2-1. Argentina needs to be much more confident against a more serious opponent like the Netherlands in order to continue their road to the finals.

It is going to be a close game, and Argentina will have a pretty tough job. The Netherlands has been quite disciplined so far, and we wouldn't be surprised if this match goes to extra time. Therefore, the European team shouldn't lose in regulation time.

Goals Market Prediction

We shouldn't speak too much about Argentina's attacking area, but the Netherlands also has many talented offensive players. Therefore, we don't see either team keeping the clean sheet in this encounter.

Netherlands AH +0.5 @ 1.75

BTTS Yes @ 2.10

Correct score 1:1 @ 6.30

OK, it's time for the Quarter-Finals and we're down to the real business of the 2022 World Cup now. It's been two days without any World Cup action and I've honestly started suffering withdrawal symptoms. Cold sweats, hallucinations, and rage. It's all been going off. At 3pm GMT, I get my hit again as Croatia play Brazil in the first game of this stage. I tipped Brazil to go all the way before the tournament started and I'm sticking to that theory. Tite's side are looking so strong and I really can't see them slipping up here. They have found the perfect blend of attack and defence that it's frightening. Are they the most fully-rounded team in World Cup history? That was even before Richarlison decided to turn into beast mode!

The second game of the day is the 7pm GMT kick-off between Netherlands and Argentina. Both teams had moments of concern in their last 16 games against the USA and Australia respectively but they did enough to progress and that's what matters. It's a battle between the conservative pragmatism of Louis Van Gaal's orange army and Lionel Scaloni's attacking might that includes the likes of Lionel Messi, Lautaro Martinez, and Alexis Mac Allister. They didn't even start Lautaro Martinez or Paulo Dybala in the last match! I can understand why Van Gaal has adopted a more cautious philosophy in this tournament and I think it does provide them with their best chance of beating this Argentina side but I just think Argentina are destined for a semi-final date with Brazil and they'll sneak through. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go all the way to penalties though.

Croatia vs Brazil (Friday, 3pm GMT)

Brazil to Win to Nil @ 23/20 with Unibet

Anytime Scorer: Richarlison @ 15/8 with Bet365

Netherlands vs Argentina (Friday, 7pm GMT)

Draw @ 9/4 with SpreadEx

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 8/13 with SpreadEx

Managed not to get matched on the draw in the last game so wanted to see it over in 90 minutes or go to penalties for my antepost bets. For that reason I was cheering on Croatia and was pleased to see them equalise. On the draw at 3.3 in the next game. Might leave it at that unless anything leaps out from a quick look round.

It was an interesting first couple of Quarter-Final matches on Friday with the shock exit of Brazil on penalties to Croatia and then the ill-tempered affair between Netherlands and Argentina that saw the South American side progress on penalties. Does anyone (I'm looking at you @harry_rag!) have a wager on all four winners being decided by penalties? It's not entirely beyond the realms of possibility now. First up today we have surprise package Morocco and Portugal. My immediate feeling here is asking how much that win over Spain took out of Morocco both physically and mentally. Portugal barely broke jogging pace against South Korea in the last round so they will undoubtedly be fresher. I'm anticipating a cagey affair to begin with but I think Morocco's fatigue could see them slowly unravel as the game progresses. A Portugal clean sheet win could be on the cards. Morocco's best hope is trying to hold out for extra-time and penalties again but I'm not sure this hard-working defensive set up can keep going for much longer. They also face a Portuguese side that have seen 8 different scorers bag their 12 goals in the competition so far.

In the second game, it's a cracker between England and France. Crazy to think that these two sides have never met in the knockout phase of a major international tournament before. I've seen some people suggest the winner of this tournament will come from this game but we'll see. France have surprised me at how well they have done in this tournament so far. I thought their central midfield would be an issue but they've used their attacking strengths and defensive solidity to their fullest. Kylian Mbappe has stepped up big time with 5 goals in 3 matches. I wouldn't be surprised if Olivier Giroud scores though with so much attention being on his team mate. It's a hard one to call. The big problem for England is that they are yet to show they can defeat the "big teams" at a World Cup under Gareth Southgate. This is a massive test for him and, as harsh as it may sound, you feel that if they lose this game it could be his last in charge of the national team. Still, this is a very talented England side and even their suggested weakness of defence is performing well up until now. This has the potential to be a classic and if England win it then there's no reason they can't go all the way. I think France will still sneak it though. Just! Don't be surprised if this goes all the way to penalties!

Morocco vs Portugal (Saturday, 3pm GMT)

Portugal to Win to Nil @ 8/5 with Betfred

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 8/13 with Bet365

England vs France (Saturday, 7pm GMT)

Draw @ 9/4 with Betfair

Anytime Scorer: Olivier Giroud @ 11/4 with Bet365

Morocco vs Portugal

Morocco might have ridden their luck at times against Spain in the Round of 16 match, but they also created plenty of chances of their own to win the game in the opening 90 minutes and extra time. However, both teams failed to score during each of those periods, and the game had to be settled via a penalty shoot-out. Morocco scored three of their opening four penalties while Bounou proved the hero between the sticks for the African side, saving two of Spain's three opening spot-kicks, with the other hitting the post. With a win over Spain under their belts, Morocco will feel as if they can defeat Portugal in the quarter-finals and become the first African side to reach the Semi-Finals. They have no pressure ahead of this game, knowing they are considered underdogs again.

Many were expecting the Portugal vs Switzerland Round of 16 tie to be a closely fought battle with few goals being produced. However, Portugal dominated the game from start to finish, embarrassing the Swiss, who simply didn't seem to turn up on the night. Ramos was brought into the starting lineup ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo, and the young Benfica forward proved to be the catalyst for Portugal scoring a hat trick on his team's journey to a 6-1 victory. Captain and veteran center-back, Pepe, scored the game's second goal, and full-back Guerreiro added a fourth in the 55th minute. Man City's Akanji pulled a goal back for the Swiss from a corner, but Portugal scored twice more after that, including a stoppage-time effort from substitute Leao. Os Navegadores are full of confidence, and they seek another excellent display.

Portugal is a favorite in this encounter, but we don't think they will have an easy job. Morocco is among the most disciplined teams in this tournament, and it will be a close battle. Nevertheless, Portugal can count on better freshness ahead of this game, and we believe they will secure a place in the semi-finals.

Goals Market Prediction

Morocco has conceded just once in the World Cup 2022, and interestingly, it was an own goal. Although Portugal counted to six against Switzerland, this will be a much tighter encounter. Therefore, we don't expect to see more than two goals in total.

Portugal to Win @ 1.70

Under 2.5 FT @ 1.70

Correct score 0:2 @ 6.80

England vs France

Early on against Senegal, England needed Pickford to stop them from going behind, but once Henderson opened the scoring in the 38th minute, Southgate's men never looked back. Kane made it 2-0 before the break with his first goal of the tournament, and just before the hour mark, Saka scored a third to wrap up a comfortable England victory and set up a date with France in the quarter-finals. The Three Lions have been pretty efficient so far in the tournament, as they have already scored more goals than in the several previous campaigns combined. However, they have the defending champions as the next opponent, and they need to produce another good display.

France was the heavy favorite to beat Poland in the Round of 16. Despite a decent performance from Lewandowski and co in the opening forty-five, a goal from Giroud just before the break put France into complete control of the game. Mbappe put his name firmly at the top of the list for the Golden Boot award as the young French striker scored two goals in the second half to put France 3-0 up. Poland pulled a goal back through a last-ditch Lewandowski penalty that just took the shine off what was a near-perfect performance from the French. This feels like an obvious choice, but the performance of Kylian Mbappe could swing this game in one team's direction. France has relied on their star player to fire them to glory at the World Cup, with the 23-year-old PSG forward netting five goals at the tournament so far, making him the odds-on favorite to claim the Golden Boot award. Nevertheless, Les Bleus need another confident display to continue their road to defending the title.

It is going to be a close encounter that can go either way. Nevertheless, France seemed more confident so far in the competition, and we believe they will find a way to victory in this clash.

Goals Market Prediction

Both teams have been pretty productive so far in the tournament, and we expect them to continue in the same fashion. Although they might be more cautious than usual, we think neither team will keep its net intact. 

France to Win @ 2.42

BTTS Yes @ 1.80

Correct score 1:2 @ 8.50

1 hour ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Does anyone (I'm looking at you @harry_rag!) have a wager on all four winners being decided by penalties?

:lol Sort of! >2.5 shootouts is weighed in and already settled, 4-5 is currently in (on at 11/2 and 6/1) and 6 or more is looking more likely than the 28/1 and 33/1 I took.

4 or 5 would be the best outcome so I’m hoping for no more than one more but there’s not too much in it. Either way, it’s a decent profit from my antepost bets to offset the likely loss from the game by game bets!

I’m on the draw as usual in today’s games. Inclined to agree Portugal should be fresher and able to see off Morocco, will be looking at the bookings markets in that game. The other game is hard to call, anything could happen and it may be hard to find a price worth arguing with. I’ve had the tenner allowed on a Hill’s double up, 4/1 England qualify and Kane and Mbappe each to have a SoT. If England to qualify is slightly odds against that may just underestimate the chances of the two main men registering a SoT.

I was in tears with Netherlands last night (second favourite team) knocked out plus going into penalties is heartbreaking I think for any team to lose in that way.?? prepared to be in tears with England tonight too as much as I hope I'm wrong.

I think Morocco has a chance to draw at least. They've done so well and Portugal isn't stable at all even though they won by a huge margin last match. I think it will be a tight match especially in the first half. Went for 0-0 half time. Good luck with the draws and penalties!

2 hours ago, harry_rag said:

:lol Sort of! >2.5 shootouts is weighed in and already settled, 4-5 is currently in (on at 11/2 and 6/1) and 6 or more is looking more likely than the 28/1 and 33/1 I took.

4 or 5 would be the best outcome so I’m hoping for no more than one more but there’s not too much in it. Either way, it’s a decent profit from my antepost bets to offset the likely loss from the game by game bets!

I’m on the draw as usual in today’s games. Inclined to agree Portugal should be fresher and able to see off Morocco, will be looking at the bookings markets in that game. The other game is hard to call, anything could happen and it may be hard to find a price worth arguing with. I’ve had the tenner allowed on a Hill’s double up, 4/1 England qualify and Kane and Mbappe each to have a SoT. If England to qualify is slightly odds against that may just underestimate the chances of the two main men registering a SoT