** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

ADDITIONAL ANNUAL PRIZE

MCLARKE

Having finally managed to win a PL prize I feel a little embarassed taking the winnings so I have decided to donate them to the player who shows the highest annual profit this calendar year. This is currently @kenisbusywith £122 followed by @internetmailswith £112.

Attached is a list of all those who have commendably achieved a profit so far this year. Personally I think this is a truer test of ability than the monthly competitions.

image.png

58 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

Having finally managed to win a PL prize I feel a little embarassed taking the winnings so I have decided to donate them to the player who shows the highest annual profit this calendar year. This is currently @kenisbusywith £122 followed by @internetmailswith £112.

Attached is a list of all those who have commendably achieved a profit so far this year. Personally I think this is a truer test of ability than the monthly competitions.

image.png

bless you and your beautiful heart x

I think it should be more than half of the yearly amount.  I would be looking at 230/235 bets with a profit of 80\90 pts. These figures are based on the average of the top 10 in the above list. 

235  bets will allow for 20 bets in the month.

90 Pts will give you a profit of 7.5 Pts a month.

Great idea for the annual competition , would keep players motivated to keep going whatever their position.

Would think £120 would be a good monetary target as it's currently £10 for the monthly most winners so just multiply by 12 , keeps it all mathematically tidy.

Current bets per month minimum is 15 so why not 180 bets for the annual competition , again keeps it mathematically tidy without needing reference all the time.

Just a thought , great gesture whatever you decide MC.   :cheers

3 minutes ago, bymatrix said:

Great idea for the annual competition , would keep players motivated to keep going whatever their position.

Would think £120 would be a good monetary target as it's currently £10 for the monthly most winners so just multiply by 12 , keeps it all mathematically tidy.

Current bets per month minimum is 15 so why not 180 bets for the annual competition , again keeps it mathematically tidy without needing reference all the time.

Just a thought , great gesture whatever you decide MC.   :cheers

At at the end of November there is only one player who would qualify over £120 and he has only had 7 winners all year !

40 minutes ago, bymatrix said:

Each to their own tactics though i suppose Alastair , doubt MC will find anywhere near an exact science at the beginning of the year anyway so lay the rules down and may the best man/lady win.

Good luck   ?

Yes we all have our different approaches but I think it would be a bit odd if the forum announced to the outside world that their "Most Winners" player had tipped 7 winners in 11 months.

Fair point but Ken plays the game totally different to most , that said there are a few others not too far behind him in the winners total and up near the £100 profit mark.

MC will have to decide whether he designs a competition with fairly bog standard targets compatible with monthly numbers or the alternative of creating targets outside the box to encourage a few anomalies to play a different way.

Worth noting as well Ken has played 218 times so raising the average monthly to 20 would mean 240 bets and even with the extra 22 losers would still have made £100 profit , so where do you stop tweaking something that is after all future and not past.

We await the eagerly anticipated verdict   :cheers       

This is something that used to happen a few years ago ........ the prize for the annual top tipster was a metal (bronze?) statue of a horse in motion. The comp was based on amount of winnings rather than number of winners.

I've got 3 of them from around 10/12 years ago  ...... ?

but money is probably better ............  

Edited by Trotter

15 hours ago, bymatrix said:

Fair point but Ken plays the game totally different to most , that said there are a few others not too far behind him in the winners total and up near the £100 profit mark.

MC will have to decide whether he designs a competition with fairly bog standard targets compatible with monthly numbers or the alternative of creating targets outside the box to encourage a few anomalies to play a different way.

Worth noting as well Ken has played 218 times so raising the average monthly to 20 would mean 240 bets and even with the extra 22 losers would still have made £100 profit , so where do you stop tweaking something that is after all future and not past.

We await the eagerly anticipated verdict   :cheers       

I am with you on this, as i see it and its only my personal opinion the spirit of the comp is nap of the day i, like many submit every day. The month i won it even when i was well in front  i still submitted daily, A month later i would have won the comp again if i had stopped at 20 but i like "the spirit" of the comp so always submit daily. I recognise that people go on hols or are occasionally ill so cant submit every day but i think 20 per month is far fairer than 15 (25 would be my choice). and maybe a ten month comp ie drop the worst 2 months of each of the competitors.

18 hours ago, bymatrix said:

It is difficult to make £10 profit in any single month, to make £120 for 12 months is a very tough ask.

To make a return of 10% over a year would be a very good return so I think it makes sense to set it at this level.

To keep the maths simple I suggest a minimum of 200 selections and a minimum profit of £20. 

Could be a very good idea -

However some thought could be made to make it more of a challenge -

Any dumpling could enter the lowest price of the day and claim to have the best strike rate??? as now happens in the main comp.

Maybe consider no odds on shots allowed and also restrict odds to under 20/1 at time of bet placement to rule out wild 250/1 ew shots

Also no ew  bets allowed as this would then give meaning to most winners

Only my thoughts of course - feel free to ignore ?

Sometimes the ignorance of triple digit horses is misplaced especially in the right shape of race so the 250/1 shots maybe not as wild as they seem in selected races.

The race in question was an 8 runner 2yo stakes race with a mixture of poor & unraced horses , the bookmaker in question saw fit to offer 150/1 bar three with the remaining 4 runners all quoted at 250/1 , the place percentages worked out at 220% which is 80% below the 300% par book for 3 places.

The horse in question had finished 13 lengths behind the fav previously with connections maybe assuming it could get somewhat closer this time after a run , looking at the 150/1 bar three with only 8 runners you could be forgiven for thinking very little improvement would be good enough for a place anyway and it was all about getting one of the front three out of the frame as the horse had the best credentials to sneak a place if that was the case , as stated the race was pretty poor and the lower the standard the more likely you get unreliable form especially with improvement after just one run and the mathematics of an 80% place over broke made it necessary to find an e/way bet at the value offered.

In my view the 5 rags in the race should have varied between 50/1 to 100/1 albeit 4 or 5 times those odds on the win part of the exchange but they were offered at excessive odds due to ignorance/incompetence by the odds compilers who failed to recognize the shape of the race in question , the reason they left the odds at those exorbitant prices for most of the day was due to the fact there was no place liquidity on betfair for a race of that type for arbers to take advantage , otherwise the 250/1 would have become 50/1 or 66/1 very quickly.

Apologies for the rambling Justanotherpunter but just making a point that sometimes total rags are too easily discarded and in this case whilst the 250/1 was not far off what the win part should have been given its chance of winning the 50/1 a place at 1/5th looked too good to miss.

Good luck today   :cheers

Very well done with your selection bymatrix -

I saw this on the day when it was tipped up and I was tempted to back it myself-

However I don't touch Irish racing with a bargepole so I let it slide - bad move maybe-

The point I was trying to make in general was that some punters only bet the horse with the shortest odds of the day -

Other punters just sling in an outsider say odds of 50/1 to 500/1 and one day it might oblige -

No other method of selection required

☺️

No problem mate and sure that MC will appreciate all the feedback he receives.

Final point on the race in question and the comment about never touching Irish racing , when you have an 80% over broke on the place side it shouldn't matter whether it's Royal Ascot or Outer Mongolia as with that sort of math's in your favour it's not a case of fancying a horse but more a case of always finding a selection to exploit the opportunity.

Good punting   ?

2 hours ago, justanotherpunter said:

Could be a very good idea -

However some thought could be made to make it more of a challenge -

Any dumpling could enter the lowest price of the day and claim to have the best strike rate??? as now happens in the main comp.

Maybe consider no odds on shots allowed and also restrict odds to under 20/1 at time of bet placement to rule out wild 250/1 ew shots

Also no ew  bets allowed as this would then give meaning to most winners

Only my thoughts of course - feel free to ignore 

It is actually quite difficult to achieve the most winners by picking odds on favourites, I should know, I have been trying for quite a while.

I agree that it is possible to win the monthly comp by picking big priced winners, if you went for 100/1 winners then you would probably get a couple each year and probably win the monthly comp. However I think you would struggle to win the annual comp with this approach.

Also I have no issue picking each way, these can be the optimum selections dependent on the shape of the race, it has been one of my best strategies over the years.

On 12/8/2022 at 1:06 AM, MCLARKE said:

image.png

This is very noble of you.  I do hope that you continue to try and win the comp.  Whatever you do with your winnings is up to you.  It's going to be tough for anyone to try and beat Kenisbusy at this stage of the proceedings which makes it a little unfair but the idea of an annual max profit prize is a good one.  I would like to see the monthly role of honour tables restored as I like to see how well members are doing over periods of time.  The stats are quite important to me. 

4 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

This is very noble of you.  I do hope that you continue to try and win the comp.  Whatever you do with your winnings is up to you.  It's going to be tough for anyone to try and beat Kenisbusy at this stage of the proceedings which makes it a little unfair but the idea of an annual max profit prize is a good one.  I would like to see the monthly role of honour tables restored as I like to see how well members are doing over periods of time.  The stats are quite important to me. 

I will update the roll of honour tables when I get a bit of time.