** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Group A Predictions > Nov 20th - 29th

groupa.jpg

groupafixtures.jpg

The Group A games kick off the 2022 World Cup. Netherlands are understandably the favourites to top this group with Qatar expected to finish bottom. However, that second qualification berth is close between Ecuador and Senegal. Who are you backing to qualify from this one? Are Netherlands priced too short? Can Qatar spring a surprise using home advantage and reach the last 16?

• 2 weeks later...

Qatar

The host nation come into this as the underdogs and with a cloud of controversy over their preparations. The team had faced criticism for their attempts to "naturalise" players by taking foreign-born players and claiming they were eligible to play for Qatar. However, that was dealt with a few years ago and the Qatar national team now has a more "Qatar-based look" to it. It's just 2 defeats from the last 18 matches for the team as they have prepared for this World Cup. Given the sordid manner in which this World Cup host selection was achieved it has understandably led to some big talking points. Spanish football coach Felix Sanchez has been at the helm since 2017 and has helped guide the team to the AFC Asia Cup title in 2019. This is now an experienced Qatar team with the likes of Almoez Ali, Hassan Al-Haydos, and Abdelkarim Hassan standing out. It just feels like it could take a minor miracle for this squad to get past the group stage.

Odds to Win World Cup: 250/1

Odds to Qualify from Group A: 10/3

My Prediction: Group Stage

Ecuador

One team that has slipped under the radar is this South American side. Head coach Gustavo Alfaro leads an all-Argentine backroom staff that has helped turn Ecuador into a really tight-knit unit during qualification for the 2022 World Cup. La Tri breezed through qualification finishing in 4th in the CONMEBOL league standings and that was even without winning any of their last 4 games. The team have gone undefeated in their last 7 matches and that includes not even conceding a goal in their previous 6 games. The fact that Ecuador have managed to pick up results against the likes of Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico over the last 12 months shows they are a nation that should not be taken lightly. The only issue that could let them down is scoring goals because they've failed to register a goal in 4 of their last 5 matches. Brighton fans (looking at you @Tiffy!) will be interested to see how their trio of stars perform with Pervis Estupinan, Jeremy Sarmiento, and Moises Caicedo all selected in the Ecuador squad for this tournament.

Odds to Win World Cup: 150/1

Odds to Qualify from Group A: Evens

My Prediction: Group Stage

Senegal

The African contingent at this year's World Cup are something of a wild card. If you look at their squads they are very impressive. Senegal are a classic example with their squad boasting the likes of Sadio Mane, Kalidou Koulibaly, and Idrissa Gueye all included in their squad. The news that Mane is expected to miss the majority of group stage games is a blow but the Lions of Teranga have enough depth that his absence should be covered. Head coach Aliou Cisse was a part of that famous 2002 squad that reached the Quarter-Finals of that tournament. He has already guided the team to their first ever Africa Cup of Nations success last year when they beat Egypt in the final before beating the same opponents in the African qualification section for this tournament. It's a shame their route to the final is likely to be tricky because this is a nation that could cause some shockwaves at this tournament if they hit the ground running.

Odds to Win World Cup: 125/1

Odds to Qualify from Group A: 10/11

My Prediction: Last 16

Netherlands

It's great to have the Dutch back at the World Cup after they failed to qualify for the 2018 edition. The Oranje had reached the 2014 semi-finals and the 2010 final before that. Louis Van Gaal is the man leading his nation into this tournament and they are already being handed the "dark horses" tag. The team are unbeaten in their last 15 matches and have cruised into the UEFA Nations League Semi-Finals. They also topped a potentially tricky qualification group to reach this stage of the World Cup finishing ahead of Turkey and Norway. The team have scored 19 goals in 8 matches so far this year and could provide the most entertaining games with 7 of their last 11 games producing over 2.5 goals scored. If you look at this Netherlands squad then it makes for some frightening reading. A defence that includes Virgil Van Dijk, Matthijs de Ligt, and Jurrien Timber with a midfield consisting of players such as Teun Koopmeiners and Frenkie de Jong, and an attack boasting Memphis Depay and Noa Lang. The exciting times are back again for the Dutch. They might not go all the way this time around but nobody will look forward to playing them.

Odds to Win World Cup: 14/1

Odds to Qualify from Group A: 1/8

My Predictions: Quarter-Finals

Sadio Mane has officially been ruled out for the whole tournament now which is disappointing. I wonder if that news will have a detrimental impact on the squad morale for the tournament. It's one thing not having your star player for the group stages but a completely different proposition to have them missing for the whole campaign. Does this make Ecuador or even Qatar more appealing to qualify from the group?

Like the rest of the groups I'm looking at the short prices for qualifying and not qualifying. The above format looks like it's from Bet 365. Restrictions on their betting limit accas to 6 or 7 bets unfortunately, but I'm still looking to have a field day nevertheless. Hollands price@ 1.12 to go through is a steal. I don't see winning being only 12p for a pound. I see 12% profit on a bet, you can't get that from a bank.

4 hours ago, Skittle said:

Like the rest of the groups I'm looking at the short prices for qualifying and not qualifying. The above format looks like it's from Bet 365. Restrictions on their betting limit accas to 6 or 7 bets unfortunately, but I'm still looking to have a field day nevertheless. Hollands price@ 1.12 to go through is a steal. I don't see winning being only 12p for a pound. I see 12% profit on a bet, you can't get that from a bank.

Are you daring to back a second place qualifier as well? Or does the Mane news put you off?

Qatar vs Ecuador

Felix Sanchez's men have beaten Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, and Albania in non-FIFA friendlies, but the game against La Tri will be anything but a walk in the park for the home side. It is Qatar's premier participation in the World Cup, and they don't want to be just a generous host. Although they haven't faced top-class national teams, the hosts head to this match after four straight wins. The man to watch in the home team will be Al-Duhail striker Almoez Ali, who has scored 42 goals in 85 appearances for the national team. We will see the capabilities of this national team against a very tricky South American representative.                                                                                                 

Ecuador managed to secure a ticket for the final tournament after finishing fourth in the CONMEBOL zone. However, the main issue on paper for Ecuador is scoring goals. Although they enjoy a seven-game unbeatable streak, the visitors scored only three goals during that period. Their defense has been rock-solid, but the last three games ended in goalless draws. Enner Valencia, 33, is the only recent call-up to score in double figures for his country. The former Everton and West Ham footballer scored 35 goals in 74 games, and the closest is Michael Estrada with eight goals in 35 appearances, followed by Angel Mena with 46 games and seven goals. Some major players are missing because of injury, though, so it will be interesting to see if the replacements can step up on the world stage.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction                                                                            

It is going to be a close encounter, and although Ecuador is a more reputable team, the hosts won't surrender easily. Nevertheless, the South American team has more experience in these games, and we believe they will celebrate a victory.

Goals Market Prediction

Thirteen of Ecuador's last 14 matches stayed under a 2.5 margin, while no more than two goals were scored three times in Qatar's previous four games. It is going to be another low-scoring game with two goals at most, but we also think Ecuador will keep the clean sheet for the seventh time in a row.

Ecuador to Win @ 2.42

BTTS No @ 1.75

Correct score 0:1 @ 6.50

P.S. Hit me with a DM if you want to join our World Cup Prediction League. Cheers!

The first thing that came to my mind seeing the opening match of this multi-billion event / investment by Qatar was Qatar playing one of the medium weaker teams of the WC is that Qatar was going to fix the match at least not to lose; had they played Netherlands on the opening day and not lost no one would believe it.

Remember South Korea 2002 world cup when the referee (from Ecuador lol) rather openly fixed the game for South Korea against Italy and Spain?

At the begining of the year Ecuador managed 1-1 against both Argentina and Brazil which is quite impressive so initially I was tempted by the 2.30 odds but too afraid of the Qatar thing so all in all I won't bet on this game.

Anyway good luck to all and of course I might be totally wrong.

10 minutes ago, 888888 said:

The first thing that came to my mind seeing the opening match of this multi-billion event / investment by Qatar was Qatar playing one of the medium weaker teams of the WC is that Qatar was going to fix the match at least not to lose; had they played Netherlands on the opening day and not lost no one would believe it.

Remember South Korea 2002 world cup when the referee (from Ecuador lol) rather openly fixed the game for South Korea against Italy and Spain?

At the begining of the year Ecuador managed 1-1 against both Argentina and Brazil which is quite impressive so initially I was tempted by the 2.30 odds but too afraid of the Qatar thing so all in all I won't bet on this game.

Anyway good luck to all and of course I might be totally wrong.

I appreciate that match-fixing is a topic that provokes strong views from all sides but I actually understand why it's become such a talking point for this opening game given the fact that it's the worst-kept secret that Qatar used "financial encouragement" to influence the FIFA bid selection committee. I'd like to think that in this day and age with so much scrutiny around and focus on this big event that any attempts to deceive would be rumbled before they have a chance to get going. I'm supporting Ecuador and, to paraphrase Kevin Keegan, would love it if my ambitious 1-0 correct score prediction for them came in!

Unfortunately, I won't have time to go into in-depth previews for each game but I'll give a quick couple of thoughts and my picks for each game throughout the tournament. I'm also keen to hear yours. It's the opening game of the tournament today as the host nation Qatar take on Ecuador. No offence to the people of Qatar but I think it's fair to say that the majority of the civilised world want Ecuador to win this one after the appalling treatment of migrant workers in the lead-up to this tournament. We've spoken above about the match-fixing concerns but I have faith that we'll see a fair contest here and I wouldn't be surprised if Ecuador sneak a win. I think they're very underrated heading into this tournament.

Qatar vs Ecuador (Sunday, 4pm GMT)

Ecuador to Win @ 5/4 with Sporting Index

Total Goals Scored Under 1.5 @ 31/20 with Unibet

Hey dudes,

I seldom write in here, more of a stalker ?

In my view it is a difficult match to predict 1X2. Rational points to Ecuador, obviously, but no I will pass.

Corners seem alluring.

Below the stats, note that Qatar had few friendlies having no stats data at all, couldnt find it.

image.thumb.png.c8a4e0e63810d68552116bdda9228fa7.png

So the stats sum up to:
At least 3 by Qatar
At least 5 corners by Ecuador

Over 8.5 @ 1.72
Over 9.5 @ 2.2

Cheers!

Senegal vs Netherlands

Senegal is through to their third World Cup tournament, having reached the quarter-finals in 2002 before going out at the group stage four years ago. The Lions of Teranga didn't have any trouble in the group stage of the qualifiers, allowing just a point to their opponents. Nevertheless, the biggest challenge came against Egypt, and they managed to make it through the final tournament after the penalty shootout. They performed with credit at Russia 2018, though, beating Poland and drawing with Japan before losing 1-0 to Colombia. The Lions of Teranga will travel to Qatar full of confidence, having claimed a first major trophy with victory at this year's delayed African Cup of Nations. However, they will need to cope without their superstar Sadio Mane, who is out injured and won't feature in the World Cup squad.                                                                            

The Netherlands have been runners-up at the World Cup on three occasions and were third in Brazil in 2014, so failing to qualify for Russia 2018 was a major blow. The Dutch must have feared the worst when they lost their first Qatar 2022 qualifier 4-2 to Turkey in Istanbul. However, they avenged that defeat in style when they won the second leg 6-1 in their nine-match unbeaten run, which included seven wins. That was enough to finish two points ahead of Turkey and five ahead of Norway. They haven't lost 15 times in a row, and the Netherlands go to this tournament full of confidence. Nevertheless, it's going to be a tricky challenge for them.

The Netherlands are favorites in this encounter, but Senegal will search for its chance to secure a positive result. Nevertheless, the European side has been more consistent recently, and we believe they will meet expectations.

Goals Market Prediction

It should be an entertaining match, and the crowd should enjoy a lot of action in front of both goals. The Netherlands managed to keep the clean sheet just twice on the previous eight occasions, and we expect both teams to score on Monday afternoon.

Netherlands to Win @ 1.60

BTTS Yes @ 2.20

Correct score 1:3 @ 17.00

It was a fascinating opening game. I think we can all agree what we were thinking when that first goal was disallowed but good job it was in the end for those that backed under 2.5 goals being scored! :lol It's the second day of action on Monday and it's the second Group A game with Senegal playing Netherlands. Sadio Mane is absent so I think that's a killer blow for their chances in this game. I still think Senegal will put up a decent fight but I really like this Oranje side under Louis Van Gaal.

Senegal vs Netherlands (Monday, 4pm GMT)

Netherlands to Win @ 7/10 with Unibet

Total Goals Scored Over 2.5 @ 11/8 with SpreadEx

4 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

I've thrown a last minute bet on Netherlands to win and BTTS at 7/2 with Bet365 after seeing that Andries Noppert is making his debut in goal for the Dutch.

I know I'm talking 'afterwards', but Noppert is the best decision Van Gaal made so far. He's the best goalie at the moment even if he's inexperienced. I had Netherlands -0.75 @1.95 btw so I'm happy with the result! Though a 0-1 or 0-0/1-1 was a more realistic result based on performance.

Already bet Netherlands -0.5 @1.83:

1. Betting public is too happy about performance Ecuador and too disappointed in performance Netherlands but you can't compare those matches at all (it's a WC opening game with lot of tension and stress impacting game performance, Qatar is way below Senegal).
  2. Expect the Netherlands to grow into the WC with Van Gaal as top-coach fine-tuning the team. Van Gaal is strategical above Alfaro.
  3. Expect gready and important Memphis to play (instead of totally ineffective Jansen) and also Timber to play (instead of shaky De Ligt) with (in my opinion) better offensive skills.
  4. Don't let 2 goals Ecuador (against Qatar) fool you because Ecuador has trouble scoring goals. Before Qatar match they only scored 7 in 11 matches and never more than 1 per game (last 3 matches no goals) where I only count 3 'strong teams' and a lot of weak teams. The Dutch? 29 in 11 matches and only 2 matches with 1 goal (rest 2+) where I count 3 'strong teams' and a whole bunch of teams who are equal or slightly better than Ecuador.
  5. Maybe Valencia is out for Ecuador.
Edited by Charon84

Netherlands vs Ecuador

It often baffles football fans when they take a look at the Netherlands' history at the World Cup and realize that they have never won this competition despite being at the forefront of modern football since the 1970s. Three times the Dutch have reached the final, and on each of those occasions, they have been left with the bitter taste of defeat. The Netherlands last reached the World Cup final in 2010, South Africa, where they won each of their opening 6-matches only to lose the all-important 7th to Spain 1-0. Although they had a tough task against Senegal in their tournament opener, Oranje managed to pull a win in the last ten minutes of the game. They will enter this one with the confidence that they can pick up where they left off.

Other than a few Brighton players and Fenerbache striker Enner Valencia, this Ecuador team doesn't have many household names in it, but they work hard and often prove to be a tough nut to crack. Since 2002, Ecuador has qualified for three World Cups, 2002, 2006, and 2014, and only once have they managed to get out of their group. In their last World Cup appearance, Ecuador was a little unlucky not to qualify from their group after picking up a win and a draw from their three games. They started this campaign well after beating the tournament hosts 2-0. Ecuador controlled the game and didn't have many troubles against Qatar. A much tougher opponent is ahead of the South American team, but they are ready for a big battle.

Both teams booked wins in their first games, and another great match is ahead. The Netherlands are the favorites in this match, and they should celebrate the fifth straight victory.

Goals Market Prediction

Ecuador has been involved in low0scoring matches recently, as 13 of their last 14 encounters stayed under a 2.5 margin. The Netherlands kept the clean sheet three times in a row, but without scoring more than two goals. That's why we think the crowd won't see an efficient game on Friday evening.

Netherlands to Win @ 1.82

Under 2.5 FT @ 1.80

Correct score 1:0 @ 6.30

Well, I'm off to drown my sorrows after that shambolic Wales display but before I do here are my quick thoughts on the other games today in Group A. Qatar will face an uphill battle against Senegal. I can see the African side beating them in a similarly comfortable manner that Ecuador managed in the opening game. Will the host nation be able to score though? I'm not sure. In the second game, I think Netherlands will face a tough opposition against Ecuador but I can see a narrow Dutch win. Another clean sheet? Quite possibly.

Qatar vs Senegal (Friday, 1pm GMT)

Senegal to Win to Nil @ 6/4 with Boylesports

Total Corners Over 8.5 @ 9/10 with Sporting Index

Netherlands vs Ecuador (Friday, 4pm GMT)

Netherlands to Win @ 17/20 with Sporting Index

First Goalscorer: Memphis Depay @ 5/1 with Unibet

Netherlands vs Qatar

The draw between the Netherlands and Ecuador means that Louis van Gaal's side needs a positive result here to make sure they progress to the knockout stages. It has been an unconvincing tournament so far from the Dutch, but three points here will be expected. Cody Gakpo has scored in both games so far, and the PSV forward has looked very impressive and shown why he is coveted by some of the bigger clubs in Europe. He could make it three out of three here and become a contender for the World Cup golden boot in the process. Oranje has the easiest opponent ahead so far, and they shouldn't allow any surprises in this encounter.

That pride could go a long way for Qatar to score another goal in this game, and although a victory is not on the cards, it does mean a both teams to score bet could be worth a go. Qatar was never expected to do incredibly well in this World Cup but will want to show further improvement from the second game against Senegal. Hopefully, that means that this meeting will be a memorable one. However, the Qatar national team needs to continue hard work to improve and be competitive in some of the future tournaments if they manage to qualify. In this one, it is very likely they will finish the competition as one of the worst teams.

The Netherlands shouldn't miss the chance to win the game and secure a place in the knockout stage, despite not being very impressive so far. Anything but Oranje's win would be a sensation, and we expect the European team to celebrate a comfortable victory.

Goals Market Prediction

The Dutch team could be more efficient than in the first two matches, and it is a great opportunity for their strikers to boost confidence. Therefore, we expect this game to go over a 2.5 margin.

Netherlands AH -2 @ 1.85

Over 2.5 FT @ 1.55

Correct score 4:0 @ 9.00

It's the final matches in Group A coming up on Tuesday and it's still all to play for. Realistically, Netherlands should progress as group winners because I'm expecting them to breeze past Qatar comfortably in that match. The big one is between Ecuador and Senegal. I've been very impressed with Ecuador so far and even though I felt Senegal had the superior squad coming into the tournament I feel that is different now. I think the price on an Ecuador win is definitely worth taking, especially now the in-form Enner Valencia has been given the green light to play.

Ecuador vs Senegal (Tuesday, 3pm GMT)

Ecuador to Win @ 29/20 with BetUK

BTTS @ 21/20 with William Hill

Netherlands vs Qatar (Tuesday, 3pm GMT)

Netherlands HT/FT @ 8/11 with Boylesports

Anytime Scorer: Cody Gakpo @ 11/8 with Bet365