** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

World Grand Prix

owenclass

• owenclass changed the title to World Grand Prix

I also really like this tournament. Very unique in the fact that it uses legs and sets. Only the World Championships is that also the case. Also the only tournament to play the "Double in, Double out" format. Makes for a good betting angle if you know the players who enjoy it or indeed do not. Event runs October 3rd to 9th. We have 32 players and it's best of 3 sets in round 1, best of 5 sets in round 2 and the Quarter Finals. Best of 7 sets in the semi finals ans best of 9 sets in the final. Each set is a best of 3 legs.

I've looked through the draw and as usual, I want the bigger prices. Here's what I'm going with

2pts e/w D. Noppert to win Grand Prix 20/1 bet365
2pts e/w D. Chisnall to win Grand Prix 25/1 betfair
----------------------------------------------------------------

1pts e/w R.Searle to win Grand Prix 50/1 bet365
1pt e/w De Sousa to win Grand Prix 50/1 skybet
----------------------------------------------------------------

0.5pts e/w A.Gilding to win Grand Prix 66/1 boylesports
0.5pts e/w R.Smith to win Grand Prix 125/1 bet365

Day 1 I'll be taking a few boosted trebles with PP. I think Ratajski beats Rydz. I like experience in this event and Chisnall has a great record, here. Bunting Vs Dolan could go either way really but I think aslong as Bunting doesn't lose the plot with the Double in then the 5/1 looks a solid pick. MVG beats Anderson for me. DVD Vs Clayton could be the tie of the night.

2pts Chisnall, Bunting and Ratajski to win 5/1 paddypower
2pts MVG, Wright and Clayton all to win 5/2 paddypower

4 hours ago, Fader said:

Day 1 I'll be taking a few boosted trebles with PP. I think Ratajski beats Rydz. I like experience in this event and Chisnall has a great record, here. Bunting Vs Dolan could go either way really but I think aslong as Bunting doesn't lose the plot with the Double in then the 5/1 looks a solid pick. MVG beats Anderson for me. DVD Vs Clayton could be the tie of the night.

2pts Chisnall, Bunting and Ratajski to win 5/1 paddypower
2pts MVG, Wright and Clayton all to win 5/2 paddypower

So you think Chisnall beats Van den Bergh tonight? Shit, I have already backed the Belgian to win...

29 minutes ago, Foo_Fighter said:

So you think Chisnall beats Van den Bergh tonight? Shit, I have already backed the Belgian to win...

Really depends on how Chisnall reacts after his first big title. Even if he had lost though, he normally performs in this event. Van Den Bergh has gone out R1 in 2 of the last 3 attempts. Out in R2 in the other. Doesn't mean Chisnall wins ofcourse but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Foo_Fighter said:

1 hour ago, Fader said:

Really depends on how Chisnall reacts after his first big title. Even if he had lost though, he normally performs in this event. Van Den Bergh has gone out R1 in 2 of the last 3 attempts. Out in R2 in the other. Doesn't mean Chisnall wins ofcourse but we'll see.

Van den Bergh wins.

3 for me tonight. First is Searle to beat Razma and hit the most 180s. Searle likes a 180 and I think he beats Razma. I feel like this is the same bet as Searle winning in my eyes as Razma isn't a huge 180 hitter. Ross Smith takes on Gilding in a very 50/50 looking match. The winner could go deep here. I was tempted with just going for Smith to have the most 180s (evens most places) but I'll take a gamble on him winning the match, too at 12/5.

Finally, I'll go with the treble of Searle winning 2-0, Cullen to beat Heta, as I feel like he is the better "big time" player between the two. I think Michael Smith Vs Nathan Aspinall will be a good match. instead of risking Smith to win, I'll take him to hit the most 180s. He has a better rate this year and I feel like he could need the scoring power if his double troubles come back to haunt him.

5pts R.Searle to beat Razma AND hit the Most 180s evens paddypower
2.5pts R.Smith to win AND hit the Most 180s 12/5 paddypower
2pts treble - Searle (-1.5 set handicap), Cullen, M.Smith to hit most 180s Vs Aspinall 7/1 bet365

That's round 1 completed then and Round 2 gets underway tonight. Just the 4 matches today and tomorrow so perhaps it wont be another midnight finish. Here's tonights lineup :

Lewis Vs Dobey
Wright Vs Ratajski
MVG Vs Bunting
Clayton Vs Van Den Bergh

I like Lewis to beat Dobey tonight. Lewis looked really good in beating De Sousa and that was a decent look De Sousa, too. He has been in abit of form now for a while as we've seen with various Players Championships events, also. My slight concern is that Dobey has won won the last 5 head-to-heads between the pair but the last match was 2 years ago and I feel like Lewis is getting back to some nice form in the last 6-12 months. I feel like Lewis is the best "double in" player of the 2 and as we've seen, that's very important.

I think we'll see Wright and MVG through tonight. I think even if Bunting gets into a good position, because I do think MVG is still vulnerable, I reckon he'd bottle it. It's the final match that looks to be the closest. Despite Van Den Bergh performing the better of the two, Clayton has a real way of winning matches that he shouldn't. I think he is the better "big time" player now and if Van Den Bergh gives him a sniff then you know he is going to take it.

5pts Lewis to beat Dobey 4/5 bet365
--------------------------------------------------
2pts Wright, MVG & Clayton 3/1 paddypower
1pt Lewis, Wright -1.5, MVG -1.5 and Over 4.5 sets Clayton/Van Den Bergh 14/1 paddypower

On 9/30/2022 at 5:00 PM, Fader said:

We have 32 players and it's best of 3 sets in round 1, best of 5 sets in round 2 and the Quarter Finals. Best of 7 sets in the semi finals ans best of 9 sets in the final. Each set is a best of 3 legs.

Peter Wright vs Krzysztof Ratajski - Total sets: over 3.5 at 1.44 with bet365

Ratajski will fight hard to get his long awaited first win against Wright. I think he may come very close tonight. 

MvG to beat (-1.5 sets) Stephen Bunting at 1.61 with bet365 

MvG might look a bit vulnerable at certain times, but I won't be surprised if what we witness tonight is him toying with his opponent. He can destroy Bunting if he's focused from the start of the match.

3-1 or 3-0 for me.

I agree with @Fader on Lewis vs Dobey, but I just can't trust Lewis these days, no matter how good and effective he was the other night. It could well have been a short glimpse of his glorious past, I don't know. Clayton somehow finds ways to win matches he shouldn't have won, I completely agree. Very difficult to predict, but I'd go with him beating VdB if I had to choose.

Good luck.

Edited by Foo_Fighter

Few I'm going for tonight. Don't seem to be getting anything at the moment and nothing really going my way but here we go.

4pts R.Smith to beat Lukeman and hit most 180s 5/4 paddypower
-------------------------------------------------
2pts Razma to beat Gurney 7/4 paddypower
2pts Both players 4+ 180s - Price Vs Cullen 9/4 paddypower
2pts Noppert to beat Aspinall and most 180s 21/10 paddypower

Such a fine line between all winners and all losers in this event. Smith 3 darts to go 2-0 up and loses and Noppert 2-0 up in sets and then 2-0 up in the final set and just absolutely bottles it. It's pretty tedious and hence why taken this long to post today. Razma atleast won with ease. 

Just one for me tonight in the singles market and it's Price to beat Razma, most 180s and highest checkout. I think this is where it's the end for Razma. 

Also going with a 4 fold 

4pts Price to win, most 180s and highest checkout 11/8 ladbrokes

1pt 4-fold -  aspinall most 180s and win, Price to win with match treble, over 8 180s Wright vs van den Bergh, dobey (+1.5) 14/1 paddypower 

A winner yesterday, I'll be taking the same bet tonight. Pricec to win the match treble. I also think Wright beats MVG and will go Wright with the most 180s. 

2pts Price to beat Aspinall, hit most 180s and highest checkout 9/2 bet365

2pts Wright to beat MVG and most 180s 7/2 bet365

1pt Price and Wright both to win and throw most 180s 13/1 bet365