** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League Predictions > Aug 23rd & 24th

uclodds.jpg

The second legs from the Champions League Play-off Round are coming up this week. All of the ties are finely balanced with arguably just the Benfica game looking like a done deal. Who will win and proceed to the group stage of this competition? Tell us your bets down below! :ok

With no goals in the first leg Plzen and Qarabag will both be all guns blazing to qualify for the lucrative stages. Likely to be another close affair which should test the Portuguese referee, Artur Dias Soares. When in charge of UEFA competition games, this referee has had some high bookings counts. In his last 9 Euro games he has hit 100 or more 4 times and also had make-ups of 75 and 90. Qarabag in particular have shown that they can rack up plenty of bookings points. Rather than play fixed odds, I've had a buy of bookings at 56 with Sporting Index.

24 minutes ago, Labrador said:

Likely to be another close affair which should test the Portuguese referee, Artur Dias Soares.

I like the overall logic for this one but looking at the ref's stats for CL games my enthusiasm is tempered slightly. I'll have a modest bet on >55 points at 21/20 with Hills (odds on everywhere else). Their 2/1 for >65 points is also best available (and, for me, would be preferable to their 21/10 for >6 cards given that red cards only count as one).

Anthony Taylor handles Red Star Belgrade v Maccabi Haifa which has the highest bookings quote of the day (mid 60s). With the away team leading 3-2 it could be another hotly contested game. Looking at his stats for European competitions (qualifying and main) he seems a solid "middler" when it comes to the 4-6 cards line. I've taken 6/5 about what feels like pretty much a coin toss.

As posted elsewhere I'm also on a header scored in that game at 6/5. Follow at your peril as my bets in that market are very much at the experimental stage (unlike my bookings bets which have a long, proven history of being loss making)> :lol

33 minutes ago, Labrador said:

I feel there should be a distinction between group matches and knockout, one off games in European matches. Plzen/Qarabag fits my bill. 

:ok I agree though it's nice when all the stats align! (Qualifiers, group and KO games in the tournament in question and the other one, e.g. Champions and Europa League.) I sometimes think that when the ref looks like a demon in one tournament and a peacekeeper in the other it's best to assume the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Hopefully tonight it's full on spite and malice from the get go in "your" game and tasty but not too tasty in mine!

PSV v Rangers: BTTS (Yes) @ 4/7 (Bet365)

The first leg ended 2-2 in a very entertaining game and though PSV should be favourites to go through with home advantage this game should still produce goals. Away goals no long count double which means both sides need to get a win. Whilst both sides have started their league campaigns well remaining unbeaten and scoring lots of goals their defences have not been the most solid. PSV have conceded in all 6 of their competitive games so far whilst Rangers have conceded in 5 of the 7 games they have played in all competitions. 

52 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

How did you both get on in the end last night?

One out of 3 ain’t great! 6 yellows in Plzen but, unfortunately, the 2 shown to unused subs are of no value to punters. 3 at half time was promising but there was only one more right at the end. No headed goal at Belgrade but there were 5 cards so the bet on 4-6 landed.

12 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

One out of 3 ain’t great! 6 yellows in Plzen but, unfortunately, the 2 shown to unused subs are of no value to punters. 3 at half time was promising but there was only one more right at the end. No headed goal at Belgrade but there were 5 cards so the bet on 4-6 landed.

Ah, that's a shame that yellows for unused subs don't count. Sounds a bit unfair. They all still go into the referee's book at the end of the day so should count.

5 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Ah, that's a shame that yellows for unused subs don't count. Sounds a bit unfair. They all still go into the referee's book at the end of the day so should count.

You wouldn’t feel like that if you’d sold or bet under though! As someone who “goes both ways” it doesn’t bother me too much. Just a shame they didn’t come on after being shown a card in which case it would’ve counted.