** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

US Open 2022

5 hours ago, neilovan said:

Frankly, the US open is a bizarre tournament. Ridic greed (from the USTA) with night sessions , where people are paying a fortune for a couple of matches. The joke is these matches going on till 3am local time. Seriously, it is laughable. Does this nonsense occur in any other professional sport? Is there no player power to call BX on what it is?

And it makes the next match for the winner a lottery. Finish at 3am, have a shower and cool down, media duties, then home (still hyped up, mind racing), eat something and sleep from 5am  to 1pm. Wake  up at 2pm the same day, is hardly prep for 1 of the 4 biggest tournaments in the world.  Players should just down tools...

Two woman's matches. I am amazed by Garcia. She was nowhere 9 months ago. Just playing badly, no confidence, game in tatters. Now she looks very good. What the hell happened with her? For me, both woman's semi-s are a total lottery. Anything could happen,  and I'll just stay away totally. 

What happened to Garcia? Simple answer to that. She finally learned to fly.

how do you guys feel about the semis ? I can t realy say anything sure about them, there are just so many factors that IMO can make them go eitherway. Ruud khachanov will probably go over 3,5 sets, can t see either winning in straight sets, and with carlito-tiafoe, I truly hope carlito wins but I don t know if he ll be afected by the pro tiafoe public(they do also like carlos alot though)

I go with typhoon or Tiafoe to ruin Carlitos. 3-0 or 3-1.

I think it is impossible for Carlitos to fully recover after two marathons in a row. This is my opinion. Remember, anything has price, might lose. We witnessed all of us how some huge favourites priced @1.04, or 1.05 how badly they lost. So, there are no guarantees in this life.

I follow my logic, i like the game of Tiafoe, for me he would beat Carlitos under any circumstances by his current form, especially now having the advantage of being fresh and super strong. 

P.S Sinner what choke! Anyway Sinner looks like the new Federer, or to be more accurate, in some moments he reminds me little of Federer. I predict a brilliant future for Sinner. Much more stylish and talented than Berrettini for example, so i expect from him to achieve much more than Berettini.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, delfino said:

I go with typhoon or Tiafoe to ruin Carlitos. 3-0 or 3-1.

I think it is impossible for Carlitos to fully recover after two marathons in a row. This is my opinion. Remember, anything has price, might lose. We witnessed all of us how some huge favourites priced @1.04, or 1.05 how badly they lost. So, there are no guarantees in this life.

I follow my logic, i like the game of Tiafoe, for me he would beat Carlitos under any circumstances by his current form, especially now having the advantage of being fresh and super strong. 

P.S Sinner what choke! Anyway Sinner looks like the new Federer, or to be more accurate, in some moments he reminds me little of Federer. I predict a brilliant future for Sinner. Much more stylish and talented than Berrettini for example, so i expect from him to achieve much more than Berettini.

Good luck!

wow, couldn t find something I dissagree with more...alcaraz is so much more talented than tiafoe.

The late finishes have to have some kind of effect on Alcaraz. You can bet that this is a kid who has a very disciplined approach to the game. There are probably not too many late nights in his weekly schedule. Both matches against Cilic and Sinner were tough, and Alcaraz just got over the line. He didn't really dominate or blow anyone off the court. He is beatable. Paul beat him in the Canadian and Norrie in Cincinatti. Neither of those guys are world beaters, sure they are good, but world beaters? NO!  So just expecting Alcaraz to roll here is unrealistic. 

Tiafoe is tough, looks to be well focused on the task at hand, and will have huge home support. He is playing the tennis of his life, having dropped just one set this US open (Schwartzman, Nadal and Rublev is a pretty tough trio). Tiafoe has won all 6 breakers he has played... only one has even been close. He won 2/2 breakers at Cincinnati so that is 8 on the bounce. 

Even though Alcaraz is incredible, I think he is right on the edge. For me Taifoe still has not needed 6th gear. My feeling is these late nights have burnt the candle on both ends for Alcaraz. I'm going for Tiafoe ... I just think it's his time, and the crowd will get him over the line. 

In the early match, I think Khachanov is going to beat Ruud. I just rate him ... such a solid player, who has underachieved for years. I remember the "klap" (a 'flattie' smack in Afrikaans slang) he gave Djokovic at the Paris masters in 2018, when Djoko when bat-__t and started breaking racquets. Khackanov played so well then ... and he is playing similar now.

Not going mad here, just taking a 2 unit bet on both ousiders as singles and 1 unit as a combo.

Maybe we should focus on information regarding visible or potential physical problems as tennis is such a physical sport and performance obviously can decrease dramatically due to injuries. Also, while recent results are available on many websites, such information is not so easy to get, you need to watch matches (does the movement change? what happens during medical timeouts?) or pick it up somewhere else, e.g. internet forums.

And it's not just the player itself but also the opponents in recent matches which are interesting. Here I'm wondering: Is Karan Khachanov the luckiest player ever in a Grand Slam? He was about to be 2-1 behind against Jack Draper until Draper got an injury which made him retire from the match. Then, he won in 5 sets against a physically struggling Carreno Busta who already had a long medical timeout with a physio helping out in the match before. And then he got lucky to play against a Nick Kyrgios who very obviously had a physical problem (movement/calf) and took an early medical timeout.

So, I'm not that impressed by Khachanov's performance, he should not have reached this stage of the tournament. Ruud's level is generally higher, even on hard court and he tends to beat players he should beat.

In terms of Carlos Alcaraz, it seems more of a guessing game how much he might struggle due to fatigue. Maybe he will recover surprisingly well due to being just 19 years old and very fit. But this is not guaranteed and the likelihood of him getting injured within the match should be higher than for other players who don't have such impressive, but also risky movement around the court.

Edited by adastra

Seems like there's not that much attention focused on today's finals, and I understand why. Swiatek's style and attitude is hardly exciting, though she's one of the top professionals in terms of approach and I think she's going to win today. Would be massive for Africa to see Jabeur win, though.

Today, I think there's value in Ruud over Alcaraz at 2.95 with UnibetRuud has arguably beaten some better hard court players here, and he's also spent much less time on the court, which could prove to be an issue if the match goes on for a while, which I think it will. Most importantly, though, he's already played in a GS final before, and that's a factor you never want to underestimate in this kind of matches, as you just never know if/how the pressure will get to a player.

What do yoy guys think about the Women's doubles final? Do you think there might be an upset? Obviously the favourites are Krejcikova amd Siniakova as they are have experience in these matches as they won both the AO and Wimbledon finals. 

On the other hand, I'm wondering to play over 40.5 games on Ruud - Alcaraz or straight win for the spanish on 1.47. Ruud is great but from what we've seen on this tournament, Alcaraz seems to be on another level in my eyes right now. Ruud played against Berettini who was actually terrible and who is so out of form. Against Khachanov, he had some problems as well in the first set and losing the 3rd afterwards. Alcaraz played three 5 set matches but it doesn't affect him and he is recovering well. About the pressure, Alcaraz handled it damn well against Tiafoe who was playing the tennis of his life and didnt choke for a moment. Alcaraz is so fast on the court and with these hard shots, plus he has so much sports malice in every match that I personally think there is no chance for Ruud, especially if it's a long match. 

10 hours ago, raduvlad1995 said:

had my laptop broken for the day, wanted to post here that I bet on alcaraz to win. So glad the kid did it, youngest number 1 ever and for me the biggest talent I've seen since federer.(dunno how good fed was at 19 though)

Federer was not as good as Alcaraz at 19 years old. For Federer it took until he was 20 to win his first title.