** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Open Championship

Place for bets, thoughts and musings on the upcoming and 4th major of the year The Open Championship at St. Andrews

Early thoughts have to be the 'form' player is clearly Xander Schauffele. Not looked at any prices yet though I would imagine he is short enough.

As alluded to on the Scottish Open thread, last year's winner Collin Morikawa finished 71st in the Scottish Open before going onto win so it maybe worthwhile looking for players who played average at the Renaissance Club.

I will be personally looking for players who have played well in the last 9 to 10 weeks (top 6 finish etc.), previous Open Championship form a bonus and look at who has decent Strokes gained approach the green stats as the cherry on top of the cake.

4 hours ago, fd1972uk said:

Will put my guys on later today or tomorrow.

Probably fitzpatrick I'll go for, hard to see him get US then tonfollow up with Open but he's a home player so maybe,  not sure on schauffelle going two in a row but you never know. 

Saw him interviewed yesterday and it sounded like he really hates the style of course. Think it was him anyway. 

Jordan Spieth 18/1 bet365 win - In good form, has a great Open record including T4 back at St Andrews in 2015.

Rory Mcllroy 10/1 bet365 win - Back in form with a win last month so maybe peaking at the right time.

Xander Schauffele 18/1 ew 9 places Hills - 2nd back in 2018, 1st in GIR on the PGA Tour and won last week.

Dustin Johnston 35/1 ew 8 places bet365 -  Looks a big price, led at half way at St Andrews in 2015, 8th last year and 4 top 10 finishes.

Seamus Power 80/1 ew 9 places Hills - Good form on the PGA tour and in majors, T9 in the PGA, T12 in US Open, 7th GIR and has a great short game too

Tony Finau 45/1 ew 8 places bet365 - 10 top 10 finishes from 25 major starts.

Right, the final Major of the Year. First of all, although a completely different course to last year, I do feel that the playing conditions will be very similar to last year's Open I.e. dry, warm and very little wind. So I feel last year's Open form could be pretty valid in regards to that.

That all said, here are my squad of 6 for St. Andrews, prices from Bet365 as a reference:

Scottie Scheffler 20/1

(Good form in the Majors, missed cut at Scottish Open last week, decent form at last year's Open)

Rory McIlroy 10/1

(Good form in the Majors this year, good St. Andrews form, purposely avoided Scottish Open to focus on this.)

Jon Rahm 20/1

(Weakest form out of all my selections, decent form at last year's Open.)

Will Zalatoris 30/1

(Good form in the Majors this year, missed cut at Scottish Open, top quality SG: Approach stats, was playing well in last year's Open until having to withdraw injured tackling some meaty rough over exuberantly lol.)

Hideki Matsuyama 45/1

(Good form in the Majors this year, missed cut at Scottish Open, top notch SG: Approach stats)

Collin Morikawa 30/1

(Good form in the Majors this year, missed cut at Scottish Open, top quality SG: Approach stats, last year's Open winner.)

So as you can see, heavily plowing in with the angles I've mentioned on this thread. The beauty of all sports betting and games is there are many many angles utilised by many different people in achieving the beautiful feeling of the win. Time will tell whether my angles were successful this time around.

Whatever you decide to pick best of luck in your quest for victory.

I had a dream regarding the winner's initials! (Not really, just a coincidence that I've gone for these two). Fancied an interest but will stick to simple e/w bets rather than risk the worst case scenario on spreads. Just a couple of players who've caught my eye in the previews I've looked at.

Fleetwood at 35/1 and Finau at 45/1, both with Lads and 1/5 the odds for 8 places.

Good luck all.

Any thoughts on the likelihood of a player shooting 61 or lower? My mate (more into golf than me, playing and betting wise) had taken 7/2 with PP and was amazed when I spotted it at 8/1 at Uni Bet. Lowest score spread is 63-63.5.

I’ve had a bit on the 8/1, feels a touch generous.

6 hours ago, harry_rag said:

Any thoughts on the likelihood of a player shooting 61 or lower? My mate (more into golf than me, playing and betting wise) had taken 7/2 with PP and was amazed when I spotted it at 8/1 at Uni Bet. Lowest score spread is 63-63.5.

I’ve had a bit on the 8/1, feels a touch generous.

On the previews I've followed there is a lot of people thinking along the lines of the course could be easy to play this year with the dry, warm, very little wind conditions that combined with a lot of driveable par 4 holes is probably why PP are being a lot more cautious than unibet.

After the two day stage, still plenty to play for. From a personal point of view, slightly frustrating to see Cameron Smith in the lead as if you look at the PGA Tour SG: Approach the Green stats, he is literally the next player on my shortlist after Collin Morikawa lol.

Of the action I have seen so far, holing your fair share of long putts is definitely going to be key. And at the rate of scoring so far the winning score could easily have to be 20 under par and better.

Well done to @Johnrobertson and @harry_rag getting the each way returns from DJ and Fleetwood respectively.

Rory just couldn't hole any decent length putts on the final day.

He was by far the best player in my Fantasy Golf squad with the next best finisher being Scheffler in 21st place.

Well done to any Cameron Smith backers, a superb final round, bouncing back impressively from his disappointment in round three.

3M Open up next on the PGA Tour.

13 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

:ok Happy to get out in front after a poor first round. Given how both players recovered I’d have done a lot better selling their finishing positions but I didn’t want to risk those sort of stakes so no regrets there.

Very true, I think it was the wise move going the each way route. Golf scoring from my humble observations is a very volatile thing indeed, even for the pro's.