** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Pretty girls at Epsom...but any racehorses?

As a bookmaker the chap next to me remarked. How do they bet if they have not seen the horse?

I wondered that. Some of my largest bets we from inebriated racegoers seeminly unable to distinguish between the jockey and the horse. 

"I'm backing Dettori £100 win but you have not priced the horse up."

"Dettori is a jockey...which horse is he riding?"

"Oh, I thought it was a horse. "

I took his money.

When I turned to being a punter it seemed simplier, easier, less risky and more profitable than being a bookmaker. So it proved.

I took my bookmaker preperation into punting.

Basically, I never took a bet on a horse I had not seen personally or had reported to me by my paddock watcher. This is far easier as a punter than when you are a bookmaker.

The problems for punters are ...those girls are so pretty, the fish and chips scrumptoius and the beer is smashing. Horses? What horses?

Me? Watching TV...if I get 30 seconds looking at one horse I find 50p

Occasionally in betting shops late at night you can get 10 minutes.

So a £10 bet is called for.

£1 for every minute you have seen your horse is my best tip for a budding punter.

I bet £600 on Enke ew in the St Leger. I had watched him live, on video and at the course for 600 hours. How else could I be that confident in betting a 66-1 chance v an unbeaten favourite unless I had replayed every stride the horse had ever taken a dozen times...checked and rechecked my maths?

On ITV at Epsom....line up your 10p if you are lucky. Still the girls are lovely

You won't see many ' pretty girls ' on Poormans Hill  tomorrow at around 6 o'clock , they'll be absolutely leathered & wanting a fight with anyone , The Derby & Oaks days really are a mismatch spectator wise with toffs & toffettes in high hats & fancy garb getting off the same train as Wayne & Waynetta in trackies carrying 6 pack of Walkers & 24 pack of Stella  ?

Edited by calva decoy

• 2 weeks later...

@thescientist is right; the telly doesn't give much time from the paddock.  Sometimes I see the horse that is the Best Turned Out horse, a beautifully groomed horse by the stable kids.

If I were in the paddock what would I be looking for? Will the horse stick out like a mile?

I love being in the paddock ....we'd each grade the horses and compare notes after......some horses look half asleep ...so -2 pts .....others ears pricked odd kick ...head nodding wide awake +2pts .....Nice shiny coat well groomed +1pt .....dull coat -1 pt .......big muscular legs and presence +2pt .....small and plain not much muscle mass -2pt .....sweating up or misbehaving using up too much energy -2pt ....etc ... had countless winners using this but you don't get that experience on telly that's why going racing is far better