** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

World Championships (inc Qualifiers)

Fader

5 hours ago, charliepie said:

Can't find the frame scores anywhere(for Maguire), the McGill match is also a worry for the century bet! The -1.5 must have been for the session you would have thought...

6 hours ago, Fader said:

The bet must have been just for the session surely? 

No, turns out it was a huge mistake. Glad I took advantage of it. ??

11 minutes ago, charliepie said:

Great, fat Shaun Murphy hits a 130 from nowhere, he's playing a lot better today and has every chance though I hope he still loses as I have Maguire. The McGill game is a big worry though...

On his day Murphy still can beat anybody. Got to final last year hence an outright punt on him. Fancy him to go on now. 

yeah McGill is a worry but we’re through today now. 

1 hour ago, charliepie said:

Great, fat Shaun Murphy hits a 130 from nowhere, he's playing a lot better today and has every chance though I hope he still loses as I have Maguire. The McGill game is a big worry though...

@charliepie by all means criticise his performance but there's no need to criticise his appearance.

Sorry, it was meant in jest! He's always been a bit of a chubber:-) I remember putting a bet on him in 2005 to win the Malta open(I think) - £5 @ 200/1. Imagine my surprise when I found out I had accidentally backed him to win the Worlds not the Malta open, I didn't realise until after the tournament and was wondering where the £1000 had come from?! I will always love him for that serendipitous moment? 

3 minutes ago, charliepie said:

Sorry, it was meant in jest! He's always been a bit of a chubber:-) I remember putting a bet on him in 2005 to win the Malta open(I think) - £5 @ 200/1. Imagine my surprise when I found out I had accidentally backed him to win the Worlds not the Malta open, I didn't realise until after the tournament and was wondering where the £1000 had come from?! I will always love him for that serendipitous moment? 

You've apologised and then straight away done the same thing again.

It's just a descriptive observation not meant as derogatory, a term of endearment really! My poor attempt at being carefree and light-hearted perhaps? But didn't "no adjectives required" Page close out his match well - that was a cracking first round bet as the qualifiers have struggled so far.

3 minutes ago, charliepie said:

It's just a descriptive observation not meant as derogatory, a term of endearment really! My poor attempt at being carefree and light-hearted perhaps? But didn't "no adjectives required" Page close out his match well - that was a cracking first round bet as the qualifiers have struggled so far.

I'm sure you didn't mean it in a derogatory way but it's not just about how you meant it, it's also about how others interpret it. It's highly unlikely that any snooker players read this thread, but if they did and if Murphy was one of them I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be happy about being referred to as 'fat' and 'a bit of a chubber' and I say that because I know he's on record as saying that remarks like that on social media affect him in a negative way.

Anyway let's move on. It was good to see Page come through and as you said he closed out well. I must admit I thought he'd blown it when Hawkins got to within one frame and was glad I'd only used a small stake, then when he'd won I wished I'd staked more. That's betting I suppose, but out of the players I bet on the other day he was the one I was least confident about and in the long run it's always better to stake less when you're less confident.

14 hours ago, charliepie said:

Wouldn't it be great if Shaun or any other snooker player read this though! I come from an era where that was considered "harmless banter" - no offence meant if you're reading Shaun!

2 qualies through from the first 5 completed matches, I think we may get the 4 or 5 quite comfortably in the end.

Given the fact that McGill lets us down twice in a row, makes it clear who reads the forum ?

Yeah, thanks Anthony? I thought we'd do it this year as the pockets have been playing very generously so far but a high break of 71 is really poor(Liam hit a 73) but it was a match best forgotten.

I hope Donaldson beats Allen as I'm on him too. Didn't realise he had a severe reaction to the covid vax leaving him with a tremor but luckily managed to recover from it after treatment.

Caught the last few frames of McGill v Highfield and if they were any indication of the rest of the match it's no surprise there was no century even though 17 frames were played. The standard was woeful - missed pots, poor positional play. Makes you realise just how good the likes of Robertson and O'Sullivan are. Maybe next year the centuries bet will land :hope

I had a look on Cuetracker at the last 10 years results and the centuries bet has yet to come in(failing miserably a few times too) but I'm sure it will land sometime before 2030 though we're not getting much of a price @ 11/2 or 13/2. It is a fun bet though so I'll be throwing my £10 or £20 at it again next year!

Shame that Ashley blew his chance to take a 4-1 lead as Neil does seem to struggle at this venue for some reason, only one winner now though at 6-3.

Allen would have been nervous likely as he has gone out Round 1 2years running and then Round 2 the other year. I think he will grow into the tournament and I reckon he will beat Ronnie. Heard it here first :D

You say he was poor but he hit 2 centuries and 5 50+ breaks in the match. Allen is a different league to Donaldson so I expected him to win that one. He has a chance against Ronnie

Robertson will finish off Hugill this morning but in the other match, Yan Bingtao takes on Wakelin. I'm going to go with Wakelin to hit the highest break. Bingtao is a great player and is pretty consistent because he has a safety game but he doesn't score like the top players. Has a highest break of 119 of his last 11 matches. Wakelin scored a 131 in his win over Robertson and has hit centuries in every round so far. Chance at 7/4

4pts Wakelin (Highest break) Vs Bingtao 7/4 paddypower

In the afternoon matches, John Higgins takes on what could be abit of a banana skin, in Un-Nooh. I'm once again going against the favourite for the Highest break. Higgins can score big and that shows when he hit a 147 in the first frame of the new season. In general though, he tends to be happy around 120-125 mark in alot of his big breaks. Un-Nooh has turned his form around recently and in this World Championship qualification, he has scored a 137 in round 1 and then a 138 and 145 against Selt. When they met in 2018 at the Worlds, Un-Nooh got highest break with 121.

2.5pts Un-Nooh (Highest break) 13/10 paddypower

Finally, looking at the evening matches, Bingtao and Wakelin will finish up and the start of an intriguing one between Lisowski and Stevens. I think Stevens has a good chance in this but I'm going to look at a bigger price for both players to hit 2+ centuries. Which is boosted to 13/2 with Paddypower.

Stevens has been excellent in qualification and has got better round-by-round. He scored a century in his win over Craigie and then he banged in 3 centuries against Ali Carter. Lisowski tends to hit centuries in alot of his "first to 5 matches" even let alone a "first to 10". He got the last 16 of the worlds last year and along the way, he hit a century in both matches. 2 isn't inconceivable. Especially if it's a close match, which I can't see it not being.

2pts Both players to hit 2+ centuries (Lisowski/Stevens) 13/2 paddypower

1 hour ago, charliepie said:

Some good bets there and Wakelin already posted a 130+

I'm still siding with Ronnie over Mark but anything could happen.

Un nooh should have had a 132 missed the  pretty simple blue ugh