** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Wednesday 9th March

After a few years of having some good horses win the Catterick race this afternoon, including Cousin Pascal last year, we are back to this being one of the poorest races of the season. Indeed I will be a tad surprise if we see worse than this quality wise for the rest of the year.

Having said all that I actually would love to see Absainte get her head in front under rules and surely she will never get a better chance to. Since going to current connections she has run in 7 points and won 4 of them. She didn't win either of the ones she ran in last year, but the 2nd to Royal Chant is decent enough form and she was just a bit disappointing on her final start of the season. Interestingly on her seasonal debut for current connections she has won twice and then was running a stormer at Musselburgh last year when coming down at the last. She would have finished 2nd to Captain Buck's that afternoon and that is strong form in the context of this race. 2 years ago she finished a 25L 2nd in this race to Wishing And Hoping and whilst normally being stuffed 25L wouldn't be a good thing, Wishing And Hoping would be long odds on to win this and she beat the rest of her rivals that day with ease. I never thought she would be favourite for a hunter chase, but she has every right to be on her best form.

We have another Syd Hosie horse as he seems to be entering his horses all over the place. This time we have Lucky Lara who has had 2 starts this season. In January she finished 4th at Taunton on her first start over fences off a mark of 105. She got an RPR off 105 on that run as well, but it was over 2m5f and she ran like she didn't stay and she has often weakened at the end of her races. She then ran at Wincanton last month and was a well beaten 8th back over hurdles. Given she finishes her races off weakly it could be she has a wind issue and the tongue-tie does go on for the first time. Given the small field this might not be that much of a stamina test which should help her as well. She didn't jump great at Taunton though and that would be a worry again here.

Clancypantz is coming a long way for this from South Wales which is interesting, but on form she is pretty hard to fancy. She was 0-16 under Rules in Ireland and was then only 4th in a maiden at Larkhill on her debut for new connections. She got a very low point rating on the back of that and it came just 10 days ago. The Welsh aren't afraid of backing one so if she does get well backed then she would be of interest, but she would have to have improved a fair bit in 10 days to take this in my view.

The outsider of the field is Mr Pepperpot and he is also the only gelding in the race. Given his age he actually hasn't run all that much having only seen a racecourse 23 times. Pointing he has won 3 times the last of which came just before Covid hit in March 2020. He has had 4 runs in hunter chases two in 2019 and two last year and there hasn't been a great deal of promise in them although the 5th at Wetherby last year wasn't awful albeit in a weak contest. He ran in this contest after that and was pulled up. This season he has run 4 times 3 times poorly and the other time he was beaten by a short head by My Liege in the exact same race at Friars Haugh that the two horses were 1st and 2nd with a short head between them in 2020! The time was good this year and if he can show that form then he's not out of this. His best form does seem to be on better ground so maybe he will run up to his best.

I wrote all the above last night, but this morning there has been money for Lucky Lara so she has become favourite. She might be good enough to win and I was half tempted by Mr Pepperpot but I think Absainte is the most solid option. She is proven to run well after a long layoff and if she runs to her best then she is more than good enough to win this. I don't think there is a huge amount in the price, but I do think she deserves to be favourite so there is enough value there to have a bet.

Absainte 1pt @ 2/1 with everyone except Bet365 (take up to 11/8)

4 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

Gin Coco stands out in the 3.15 at Fontwell. Well clear on ratings but has been off the track for 18 months . Moved to Harry Fry and if thereabouts with fitness should win . Now into 7/4 from 9/4 this morning so strong in the betting .  Won 

Hello mate, how you keeping?

Just signed up as I posted about Cheltenham on TFF and said it’s a shame you’re not on here anymore whilst it’s on but one of the Posh fans on there told me you were over here.

Already excited for it next week.

34 minutes ago, J Rocker said:

Hello mate, how you keeping?

Just signed up as I posted about Cheltenham on TFF and said it’s a shame you’re not on here anymore whilst it’s on but one of the Posh fans on there told me you were over here.

Already excited for it next week.

Eh up J how are you mate . Yeah don’t bother with them anymore dead in the water . I’ll pop over and join in the Cheltenham chat though . I’m good mate hope all is well your end .