** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Tuesday 8th March

1.30 Newcastle 

Whos In the Box 9.48

Seemingly So 8.92 

Speak Of The Devil 8.86

5 points win Whos In The Box 17/2

3.15 Newcastle 

The Ferry Master 9.56

Mac Tottie 8.48

5 points win The Ferry Master(bog)

2.55 Sandown 

Darebin 9.7

Katpoli 9.4

5 points win Darebin 17/2

Edited by Villa Chris
Wrong date

• Villa Chris changed the title to Racing Chat - Tuesday 8th March
38 minutes ago, alexcaruso808 said:

Just a question - do the early prices or prices on the morning of the event better reflect market confidence in a certain horse?  Maybe it doens't matter?

Sp is the best indicator of W.O.M / public opinion  , The closer to 1.00 the more accurate the market confidence.
This leads to the problem of finding EV as you never know what the sp is until the off.
Therefore its good practice to price the races up yourself with an achievable profit margin built in (15% ish), the more accurate your pricing is the better chance of making a profit , only then taking a bet on if it is equal to or better than your expected price.

55 minutes ago, Valiant Thor said:

Sp is the best indicator of W.O.M / public opinion  , The closer to 1.00 the more accurate the market confidence.
This leads to the problem of finding EV as you never know what the sp is until the off.
Therefore its good practice to price the races up yourself with an achievable profit margin built in (15% ish), the more accurate your pricing is the better chance of making a profit , only then taking a bet on if it is equal to or better than your expected price.

Thanks, VT.  This is something that I need to consider when I'm trying to rate races.  

West To The Bridge looks to be very good value at 4/1 in the 4.05 at Sandown. In cracking form winning two on the bounce going up a total of 11Ibs so far this year. Dan Skelton puts a very useful 7Ibs claimer on board today in Tristan Durrell to offset the rise  . The favourite Git Maker looks progressive but needs another big step up today to win this and at 13/8 is worth taking on . 

Dalamoi seems the one to beat in the 4.40 at Sandown . Ran well last time out finishing second and giving weight away(7Ibs)  to a horse now rated 130 . Novice race which I tend to avoid unless something jumps out at me which is the case today with Dalamoi 4/1

5 points win on both selections 

Day off work today so enjoy your day everyone 

Edited by Villa Chris

19 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

1.30 Newcastle 

Whos In the Box 9.48

Seemingly So 8.92 

Speak Of The Devil 8.86

5 points win Whos In The Box 17/2

3.15 Newcastle 

The Ferry Master 9.56

Mac Tottie 8.48

5 points win The Ferry Master(bog)

2.55 Sandown 

Darebin 9.7

Katpoli 9.4

5 points win Darebin 17/2

Utter garbage 

Wolverhampton. 

Double 

5.00.Twilight Tone.     2/1.... 3rd 

5.30.Peachey Carnehan.     6/1... 4th 

singles & double 

Double. 

6.00.Broughtons Peace.....   10/1.... unpl 

7.00.Across the Nile.            15/8.... 2nd 

singles & double 

Single. 

8.00.Carey Street.       10/1.... 2nd 

Good luck all. 

Edited by kensland

On 3/8/2022 at 10:17 AM, Valiant Thor said:

could give you some ideas

Thanks for that VT, I always enjoyed SmartSig, often a lot of waffle in there but also a few golden nuggets.

I was particularly interested in the article by Eric Bowers (he was 74 then in 2004), "Elimination Biases For Sprint Races".

He had a thesis that he was going to pass on to his grandchildren but they didn't show any interest so he decided to pass it on to his fellow readers.

The basic premise was to award points based on weight and forecast odds, the higher the weight and the shorter the odds the better.

It took him 3 minutes 47 seconds to analyse 1 race. With the beauty of Excel I have been able to analyse 438 races in less than an hour.

I was surprised how good the results were.

The top 50% in each race generated 1,751 winners from 17,300 runners with a BSP profit of 1,393 points. The AE is 1.05.

If I take the top 12% from each race the results are 467 winners fom 3,138 runners with a BSP of 1,264 points. The AE is a very impressive 1.28.

Perhaps he had found the holy grail !

1 hour ago, MCLARKE said:

Thanks for that VT, I always enjoyed SmartSig, often a lot of waffle in there but also a few golden nuggets.

I was particularly interested in the article by Eric Bowers (he was 74 then in 2004), "Elimination Biases For Sprint Races".

He had a thesis that he was going to pass on to his grandchildren but they didn't show any interest so he decided to pass it on to his fellow readers.

The basic premise was to award points based on weight and forecast odds, the higher the weight and the shorter the odds the better.

It took him 3 minutes 47 seconds to analyse 1 race. With the beauty of Excel I have been able to analyse 438 races in less than an hour.

The top 50% in each race generated 1,751 winners from 17,300 runners with a BSP profit of 1,393 points. The AE is 1.05.

If I take the top 12% from each race the results are 467 winners fom 3,138 runners with a BSP of 1,264 points. The AE is a very impressive 1.28.

how does he award points is this in the article? sprints so up to 7.5f? this turf and allweather?

5 minutes ago, Valiant Thor said:

He used linear weighting,
using the %age win chance of the weight carried by the runners as a rating

anything easy thats available than trying to duplicate? could tie in with ratings see if improves performance / can u provide example never done this myself

Edited by Wildgarden

1 hour ago, Wildgarden said:

anything easy thats available than trying to duplicate? could tie in with ratings see if improves performance / can u provide example never done this myself

OR is a weighting method in handicaps ,in flat racing there should be a  14lb difference between top/bottom weight anything over 14lb is out of the handicap.
***THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE OF LINEAR WEIGHTING AND NOT THE CORRECT WIN RATIOS***

image.png.80360170282929defd0018f592e41fcb.png 

Say top OR wins 33% of its races .. so  0 = 33%
1lb less wins 28% of its races so -1 = 28%
Etc Etc

If you take the top weight as 0 then -1 every lb below  top weight provides your rating anything greater than -14 is out of the hcp so classed as -14
the win % gives you your expected break even price
Take Todays 5.30 @ Kemp

image.png.baca400dd25b073c8e640bd3148356f7.png

The above Its pretty self explanatory .
the red circled number on the top row is the sum of the win%'s  which should then be divided into the win % of each horse to make overall % of all runners to1.
1 would then be divided by the new %'s to give the Min Odds
Divide the min odds by 1+your REALISTIC profit margin Range (mim/max) and there is the price you should be looking for
IE
Arousing  .33/1.03 = .32 = MIN Odds  =3.12 if your min req edge is 15% then you would multiply 3.12* 1.15 =3.58 so anything above 3.58 would give you your required profit
as it happens it won @ 4.00 happy days :cigar

All you need to do is find the correct Win% per pound for each rating and there you have it

ATB
VT:ok

Edited by Valiant Thor
wrong price

2 hours ago, Wildgarden said:

how does he award points is this in the article? sprints so up to 7.5f? this turf and allweather?

I think it was fairly straightforward. Top weight was 0 points and you then add on the number of pounds below the top weight. The analysis was for the flat seasons 2014 to 2020, May to October, excludes 2yo, GB only.

6 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

how do you mean top 12% in what way.

This means the top 12% in any given race. So in a 10 runner race the top rated would be 1/10 = 10% andwould qualify, in a 11 runner race the top rated would be 1/11 = 9% and would qualify.

So in larger fields there will be more than 1 qualifier, e.g. in a 28 runner handicap such as the Wokingham at Ascot the top rated would be 1/28 = 4%, the 2nd top rated will be 2/28 = 7% and the 3rd top rated will be 3/28 = 11%. All 3 will qualify.

25 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

This means the top 12% in any given race. So in a 10 runner race the top rated would be 1/10 = 10% andwould qualify, in a 11 runner race the top rated would be 1/11 = 9% and would qualify.

So in larger fields there will be more than 1 qualifier, e.g. in a 28 runner handicap such as the Wokingham at Ascot the top rated would be 1/28 = 4%, the 2nd top rated will be 2/28 = 7% and the 3rd top rated will be 3/28 = 11%. All 3 will qualify.

ye see what you mean now. very interesting stuff worth a play. paper trade if could help existing ratings be even more profitable.