** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Ladbrokes Masters

Fader

In what feels like an age, we're back on the oche with the Ladbrokes Masters. It's the first TV event of the new season. In 2020 Wright won the Worlds and then the Masters straight after and he is indeed the favourite to win the 60k prize 2 years later.

I'm going to take 2 main bets at the top half and that's Michael Smith and Clayton. I think both performed to a very high standard at the Worlds and I think the price is good on them when you consider that performance. Smith is getting closer and closer with the big event win and those nervy doubles are slowly but surely becoming less frequent. Clayton is the reigning champion ofcourse and absolutely destroyed the field last year. 4 out of 5 of his wins were 100+ averages and even at the Worlds he lost to Smith with a big 100+ average. 7/1 is good value.

I think Wright makes the final from the bottom half, but I want a player to follow and I'll take a chance on Joe Cullen. I was tempted to try and take Gary Anderson in the bottom half but I just think he won't care asmuch for this event as the Worlds. We saw it last year when Anderson went out tamely to Adrian Lewis with a low 90 average. Cullen just wasn't good enough at the Worlds and left matches too late but on his day he can beat anyone and that's enough for me to have a point punt on him to represent the bottom half. 

Finally, also from the top half, I'll take Van Den Bergh at 25s. Just a silly price. Yes, he lost early at the Worlds but he had a 100+ average in that loss and Hempel was checking out everything. I don't think that you could say he's 25s in any event.

2pts e/w J. Clayton to win Ladbrokes Masters 7/1 paddypower (1/2, 2 places)
2pts e/w M. Smith to win Ladbrokes Masters 9/1 paddypower (1/2, 2 places)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1pt e/w Van Den Bergh to win Ladbrokes Masters 25/1 coral (1/2, 2 places)
1pt e/w J. Cullen to win Ladbrokes Masters 50/1 paddypower (1/2, 2 places)

match betting :

There are a few matches tonight that could be quite stingy and so the stakes will be low but I think Ratajski should kick us off with a win over Gabe Clemens. He has won all 5 matches against Clemens and has covered this handicap in all of them. I like Cross to beat Dolan. I thought Cross went out of the Worlds with a wimper to be honest after having such promise but I think he beats Dolan here and hits the most 180s. Dolan went out in a whitewash to Rydz, who was scoring and checking out like a madman and if Cross scores well then he should have too much.

The Cullen/Gurney match could well be a cracker. Gurney has every chance but in general, and without the pressure of this being a ranking event, both should score well and if Cullen has no nerves he is a match for anybody and scores 180s for fun. Finally, we haven't seen the best of Devon Petersen for years now and Humphries had another good Worlds. You would think he comes through here and scores a few 180s. Luke has won the last 2 between the two.

5.5pts Ratajski (-1.5 legs) to beat Clemens 10/11 bet365
2.5pts R. Cross to beat B. Dolan and hit most 180s 7/5 paddypower
2.5pts J. Cullen to beat D. Gurney and hit most 180s 9/5 paddypower
2pts Humphries to beat Petersen, most 180s and highest checkout 6/4 paddypower

3/1, 7/5, 9/5 and  6/4 winners lastnight for a healthy return. Today's action :

De Sousa Vs Cross
Anderson Vs Cullen
M.Smith Vs Ratajski
Wade Vs Chisnall

We have 4 more matches in the evening but I'm just going to look at these 4. I thought Cross was OK lastnight but not really looking like a winner of an event. Anderson Vs Cullen should be a good match but it's the other two that interest more. I think Smith beats Ratajski without too much fuss and I thought Chizzy was excellent and should see off Wade without too much fuss, also.

4pts M.Smith to beat Ratajski, most 180s and highest checkout 6/4 betfair
5pts Chizzy to beat Wade and hit most 180s 6/5 betfair 
1pt accy - Cross, Smith -3.5, Chizzy -1.5 & over 10.5 180s Anderson Vs Cullen 14/1 bet365

Onto the evening session. Here's the line up

Clayton Vs Van Den Bergh
Price Vs Searle
Wright Vs Whitlock
MVG Vs Humphries

We start off with a real cracker as Clayton takes on Dimi Van Den Bergh. Van Den Bergh hit a 105 average in his win yesterday and generally hits around the 100+ average in most of his matches nowadays. Clayton was excellent in his match over Smith at the Worlds and despite going out, his average over the tournament must have been over 100. We're in for a good game and it's not one I'm interested in getting too involved in as I have both as picks outright. Let the best man win. I'm also not too interested in the Price/Searle match. I don't think Searles good enough value tonight for me to go against Price.

The other two is where I will have a punt though and first up I'll take Wright to beat Whitlock and hit the most 180s, which I think is a great price at evens. Whitlock didn't hit one 180 lastnight in his win over Van Duijvenbode and to be honest, I don't think he'll turn up tonight and will go out with a wimper. In the final match, I like MVG to turn up tonight and I think he will indeed put on a show. I could see him getting the most 180s in that match.

5pts Wright to beat Whitlock and hit most 180s evens betfair
----------------------------------------------------------------
2pts Clayton, Price, Wright & MVG all to win 7/2 betfair

2pts MVG and Wright both to win and hit most 180s 6/1 betfair

Clayton through and in the last leg wins the 180 count, too. Also the 7/4 comes in with Clayton winning the quarter.

Semi finals tonight. A bang in-form Dave Chisnall takes on Clayton and De Sousa takes on Joe Cullen. 

I think Clayton looks primed in this event now. He had by far the best average today and he now rarely goes a game without a 100+ average. I expect him to beat Chisnall and De Sousa/Cullen but I would love it if we had Cullen in the final for the 25/1 placing.

1 hour ago, kroni said:

Cheers @Fader ?  , lovely 50/1 winner. Glad Cullen finally did this business amount of times I've backed him to win one of these and he's bottled it or just not turned up.

Yeah, he's won us a few floor events at decent prices but he's never really got close enough on the big stage. Part of the reason I bet on him was because he recently lost his Mum. Those kind of moments, Darts doesn't matter atall and the pressure you put yourself under to hit the doubles just isn't there anymore. Infact, he said asmuch in his interview after. 50s was a huge price on reflection and he's beaten some top players along the way (Anderson, MVG, De Sousa and Chizzy)

Masters tips +94.5pts