** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Australian Open 2022

Camila Giorgi (-3.5) to beat Tereza Martincova at 1.87 with Unibet

Martincova seemed to be somewhat limited physically against Davis and she's going to have a tougher challenge to crack here. Provided, Potapova gave up completely and offered little resistance, but Giorgi seemed to be better than expected for her first match of the season.

I like the chances of Zverev. I watched him today. Thanks god, i have free time to watch this tournament a lot, despite the time zone difference from Europe. 

I also noticed that Tsitsipas is trying hardly to improve his social image after what happened in season 2021, when he was in personal troubles with many players because of his attitude, and of his father attitude. 

But i agree with other's member opinion, that he is vulnerable to be defeated by any player at any phase of the tournament. So, Ymer to win at least a set, sounds to me also a good option. Small stakes because we are at the beginning of the tournament. 

Just now, CzechPunter said:

Camila Giorgi (-3.5) to beat Tereza Martincova at 1.87 with Unibet

Martincova seemed to be somewhat limited physically against Davis and she's going to have a tougher challenge to crack here. Provided, Potapova gave up completely and offered little resistance, but Giorgi seemed to be better than expected for her first match of the season.

I think that Martincova was 5-1 down in her match, and came back and blitzed her opponent. Gives a person a lot of confidence. Giorgi scares me. I find it's either feast or famine (did she win Cincinnati beating 5 top 20 players)? I don't know which version of her jumps outta the box here.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:54 PM, DrO said:

The Aussie governemt should have say that two or three shots of vaccines are condition to participate the event/enter the country. Thed didn't. They gave him a valid exeption. And then canceled his visa.

That he did interviews when he knew he had covid is just unacceptable. He has no regard or respect for other peoples safety.
This is something for Serbian,and not Australian,bodies to handle with..this is not the ground to cancel his visa.

No, it's also something that he has to live with. Imagine causing the death of someone via Covid that you gave to them? That attitude is partially the reason that he is not 'loved' like Federer and Nadal.

17 hours ago, Torque said:

80pts Koepfer to beat Taberner @ 1.40 Boylesports

25pts Fognini to beat Griekspoor @ 1.90 365

50pts Kecmanovic to beat Caruso @ 1.44 365

5pts Hartono to beat Anisimova @ 10.00 Boylesports

5pts Osorio Serrano to beat Osaka @ 10.00 Boylesports

40pts Bronzetti to beat Gracheva @ 2.30 365

25pts Kalinina to beat Pegula @ 3.40 365

35pts Kuzmova to beat Wang @ 1.66 365

15pts Udvardy to beat Azarenka @ 14.72 Betfair Exchange

35pts Vekic to beat Riske @ 2.20 365

15pts Medvedev to win ATP Australian Open @ 2.84 Betfair Exchange

25pts Barty to win WTA Australian Open @ 4.33 Betfair Exchange

10pts Khachanov (vs. Kudla) x Berrettini (vs. Nakashima) x Otte (vs. Tseng) x Sonego (vs. Querrey) x Kecmanovic (vs. Caruso) x Zverev (vs. Altmaier) x Kostyuk (vs. Parry) x Alexandrova (vs. Pera) x Van Uytvanck (vs. Bucsa) x Barty (vs. Tsurenko) @ 9.20 365

Slightly down on the day. Could have been really good if Hartono had gone a set and 5-2 up, but she couldn't get the cushion of an extra break in the second set and then Anisimova reeled her in, or if Kalinina had won which looked a real possibility after she won the first set and then got to a tie-break in the second. Both Koepfer and Kecmanovic won easily enough as expected and Bronzetti got a nice win from a set down. I misread Fognini - and not for the first time - as he lost tamely to Griekspoor. He went a break down straight away and even at that early stage the result felt inevitable - I thought he'd put up a real fight as it's a Slam and also because I thought he'd be motivated to be the one to end Griekspoor's streak. Osaka beat Osorio Serrano without too many problems, although it looked at one stage as though it might go back on serve in the first set.

Kuzmova was disappointing against Wang, losing in straight sets despite winning the first three games of the match, although it has to be said that Wang served really well. Udvardy was never really in it against Vika and Vekic was dreadful against Riske. It never helps when you're serving at less than fifty percent though and with the benefit of hindsight it's possible she only played for the cheque. As for the acca, as predicted one leg let me down which was Alexandrova. She served for the first set but got broken twice in a row to lose it. then went a break up in the second only to repeat the trick and get broken twice for a straight sets loss. She was the biggest price in the acca though, so you could say she was always the most likely to bust it. Frustrating, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Australia is country with,approximately,20 millions citizens. They have a percentage of over 90% vaccinated population..and stil they have a number of a 130.000 new cases in one day..somehow the logic that Djokovic is one who is threat to public health doesn't stand.. simply - numbers don't "approve" that logic..

Also, more than 3000 medical exemptions were issued ang given to the people for entering to country..i'm speaking of total number in this,let's call it,pandemic-era..pandemic-time..so,Novak is not the only one who was given this exemption as a ground to enter the state..

Even Minister Hawke concedes the unvaccinated Djokovic entered with a valid exemption and poses a low risk of contracting the virus while in Australia and passing it on to others.

But,no..here we have one member who "knows" better.
The only thing with i can agree is that Novak should have been vaccinated,because it's better for him personally and because of his career. Because,with this kind of attitude and behavior i can see that his profesional career is coming to the end..very fast end,that is. Which i think,is a shame. Cause,no one can tell that his career wasn't the great one.

So,like you said earlier @neilovanwe agree not to agree. Let us both stick with our tennis picks,from now on,please.
Appreciate.

Sorry for the this troll-post to everyone.

32 minutes ago, Torque said:

80pts Koepfer to beat Taberner @ 1.40 Boylesports

25pts Fognini to beat Griekspoor @ 1.90 365

50pts Kecmanovic to beat Caruso @ 1.44 365

5pts Hartono to beat Anisimova @ 10.00 Boylesports

5pts Osorio Serrano to beat Osaka @ 10.00 Boylesports

40pts Bronzetti to beat Gracheva @ 2.30 365

25pts Kalinina to beat Pegula @ 3.40 365

35pts Kuzmova to beat Wang @ 1.66 365

15pts Udvardy to beat Azarenka @ 14.72 Betfair Exchange

35pts Vekic to beat Riske @ 2.20 365

15pts Medvedev to win ATP Australian Open @ 2.84 Betfair Exchange

25pts Barty to win WTA Australian Open @ 4.33 Betfair Exchange

10pts Khachanov (vs. Kudla) x Berrettini (vs. Nakashima) x Otte (vs. Tseng) x Sonego (vs. Querrey) x Kecmanovic (vs. Caruso) x Zverev (vs. Altmaier) x Kostyuk (vs. Parry) x Alexandrova (vs. Pera) x Van Uytvanck (vs. Bucsa) x Barty (vs. Tsurenko) @ 9.20 365

Just curious as to how you are figuring out your variable staking?

2 minutes ago, neilovan said:

Just curious as to how you are figuring out your variable staking?

Broadly it's based on the odds - lower odds, higher stake but there are exceptions. For example Udvardy - even though she was easily beaten - I thought her price was way too high, if for no other reason than Vika seems to be having more and more physical problems as she gets older and so I staked a bit more.

1 minute ago, Torque said:

Broadly it's based on the odds - lower odds, higher stake but there are exceptions. For example Udvardy - even though she was easily beaten - I thought her price was way too high, if for no other reason than Vika seems to be having more and more physical problems as she gets older and so I staked a bit more.

Have you compared your returns against what you would have done with fkat staking?

3 minutes ago, neilovan said:

Have you compared your returns against what you would have done with fkat staking?

Yes. Variable staking works out better, assuming that the picks are good. No staking plan will turn bad picks into profit. I've always thought it makes sense to use variable staking - not all bets are created equal, both in terms of how good or bad a price is and also the varying chance of success based on the odds.

Yesterday was a good day for me as I expected it would considering the hard work I had put in prior to the tournaments. The bulk of my winnings actually came from the games that I did not bother to put up as I was spoilt for choice and wanted to put out a minimal amount of games to avoid flooding. As it stands those games have already played 3/5 with two games yet to play. I feel confident but not fully so as I fear Tsitsipas might be flattering to deceive. We will see. Here are a few solid games for today

Struff is in considerable bad form winning only one from his last four which cannot bode well for his preparations. Van De Zandschulp is in acceptable form and has been well boosted for a win against Struff from my model. My model is quite consistent when the indicators are steady in the green area which is where this match is. The match has also been boosted by a significant price drop for Van De Zandschulp

Struff vs Van De Zandschulp Van De Zandschulp to win. Paddypower @1/2

I think an opportunistic spot has opened up here to go against Pavlyuchenkova depending on the betting option employed. Pavlyuchenkova ended last season on a limp and has not shown up this year yet anywhere under the radar. She had a very good and busy last year and with the age of her body I do not expect her to be up and running that soon. Bondar is progressive and on the up. I will normally have considered a fully fit Pavlyuchenkova as a bridge too far for her, but with the opening matches that she has played this year this would indicate an ideal opportunity. While I strongly believe that Bondar is good enough to win, my verdict will be

Pavlyuchenkova vs Bondar: Bondar to win a set

I will move away from the public domain and take my next pick on a rookie who I have already seen play a few times. Skatov from Kazakshtan seems to play a style that I admire alot with a veiled amount of confidence behind every shot. I will take him to outlast the veteran Gombos who battled through the qualifiers to make the main draw

Skatov vs Gombos : Skatov to beat Gombos @11/10 paddy power

I would have loved to include some more powerful plays for today. It is just that I get too busy writing out all my different bets with just over an hour to go and including the reasons can be a bit tedious and time-consuming. Good luck all!

Edited by liquidglass

After a lacklustre performance by Zverev today where he made hard work of what should have been a routine victory, I'm going to add a little to my position on Medvedev in the outright market. Some will say that performances like that by the top seeds are common in the early rounds and that might be true, but it's not ideal in my eyes both in terms of exertion and also failing to put in a dominant performance that might make your rivals sit up and take notice. Nadal for example, for whom there were question marks over how he might do here, swatted Giron aside with absolutely minimal fuss and all of a sudden even though a win over Giron is no barometer whatsoever of Nadal's chances, there's more people saying that he could go all the way and that's the value of a dominant win over an opponent you're expected to beat easily. Zverev had a habit for a number of years of making heavy weather of the early rounds of Slams and I'm still not convinced he's completely shaken that habit off. Accumulated fatigue is a big thing for the men in Slams and so unless Zverev can win the next couple of rounds in quick straight sets then his chances of winning this diminish.

There are five matches that interest me today, starting with a massive outsider in Mager. He's up against Rublev, and whilst I don't expect him to win - I don't think you can expect any player to win when their odds give them a less than ten percent chance of victory - I do think he can be competitive. He has two things in his favour, firstly his rally tolerance is far superior to Rublev and that could draw errors as Rublev goes for winners to try to end rallies more quickly and secondly Mager is better from a tactical viewpoint and is able to construct points better than Rublev can. I've said on here a few times that Rublev is 'see ball, hit ball' and a bit like Sabalenka on the Women's side that's enough to win him an awful lot of matches but he's come undone plenty of times against players with the nous to take him out of his comfort zone, with Lopez the most recent example of that and Mager is in the same mould due to his preference for clay. Rublev is also not averse to being sloppy in the early rounds of Slams and dropping a set which should encourage Mager, and he's also recently had a bout of Covid. With all that said, he could win easily but at the price and bearing in mind the points above I'll take the chance.

The other matches are all WTA matches, starting with Dodin to beat Begu. I can't see why Begu is attracting the level of favouritism that she is - I can only think it has to do with her finishing last season quite strongly on hard. This is a new season though, and Begu is a veteran who hasn't won a Slam match on hard for three years. Dodin took a set against Bencic recently which is a decent effort, and whilst she might lose there's no way she should be the price that she is. Next up I'm backing Cirstea to beat Kvitova, as I agree with others who've suggested that Cirstea is a live dog in this match. Neither player has made a great start to the season, but Cirstea beat Kvitova here last year and looks good value to repeat that win. I'll also back Baptiste to beat Garcia. This is less a bet for Baptiste and more a bet against Garcia, who's been disappointing for some time now. There's very little consistency in her game which is why I think she's vulnerable in this match. Lastly I think Kanepi is worth backing against Kerber. She has a terrific record against seeded players in Slams which suggests she raises her game at the biggest tournaments, and Kerber hasn't played yet this season after contracting Covid. I'm also going to try a small acca of favourites and see if I can get a return after coming close yesterday.

10pts Medvedev to win ATP Australian Open @ 2.82 Betfair Exchange

5pts Mager to beat Rublev @ 17.00 Boylesports

30pts Dodin to beat Begu @ 3.40 365

20pts Cirstea to beat Kvitova @ 2.75 365

10pts Baptiste to beat Garcia @ 3.00 365

15pts Kanepi to beat Kerber @ 2.63 Boylesports

10pts Kohlschreiber (vs. Cecchinato) x Sinner (vs. Sousa) x Golubic (vs. Zhang) @ 2.27 365

Edited by Torque

8 minutes ago, Torque said:

After a lacklustre performance by Zverev today where he made hard work of what should have been a routine victory, I'm going to add a little to my position on Medvedev in the outright market. Some will say that performances like that by the top seeds are common in the early rounds and that might be true, but it's not ideal in my eyes both in terms of exertion and also failing to put in a dominant performance that might make your rivals sit up and take notice. Nadal for example, for whom there were question marks over how he might do here, swatted Giron aside with absolutely minimal fuss and all of a sudden even though a win over Giron is no barometer whatsoever of Nadal's chances, there's more people saying that he could go all the way and that's the value of a dominant win over an opponent you're expected to beat easily. Zverev had a habit for a number of years of making heavy weather of the early rounds of Slams and I'm still not convinced he's completely shaken that habit off. Accumulated fatigue is a big thing for the men in Slams and so unless Zverev can win the next couple of rounds in quick straight sets then his chances of winning this diminish.

There are five matches that interest me today, starting with a massive outsider in Mager. He's up against Rublev, and whilst I don't expect him to win - I don't think you can expect any player to win when their odds give them a less than ten percent chance of victory - I do think he can be competitive. He has two things in his favour, firstly his rally tolerance is far superior to Rublev and that could draw errors as Rublev goes for winners to try to end rallies more quickly and secondly Mager is better from a tactical viewpoint and is able to construct points better than Rublev can. I've said on here a few times that Rublev is 'see ball, hit ball' and a bit like Sabalenka on the Women's side that's enough to win him an awful lot of matches but he's come undone plenty of times against players with the nous to take him out of his comfort zone, with Lopez the most recent example of that and Mager is in the same mould due to his preference for clay. Rublev is also not averse to being sloppy in the early rounds of Slams and dropping a set which should encourage Mager, and he's also recently had a bout of Covid. With all that said, he could win easily but at the price and bearing in mind the points above I'll take the chance.

The other matches are all WTA matches, starting with Dodin to beat Begu. I can't see why Begu is attracting the level of favouritism that she is - I can only think it has to do with her finishing last season quite strongly on hard. This is a new season though, and Begu is a veteran who hasn't won a Slam match on hard for three years. Dodin took a set against Bencic recently which is a decent effort, and whilst she might lose there's no way she should be the price that she is. Next up I'm backing Cirstea to beat Kvitova, as I agree with others who've suggested that Cirstea is a live dog in this match. Neither player has made a great start to the season, but Cirstea beat Kvitova here last year and looks good value to repeat that win. I'll also back Baptiste to beat Garcia. This is less a bet for Baptiste and more a bet against Garcia, who's been disappointing for some time now. There's very little consistency in her game which is why I think she's vulnerable in this match. Lastly I think Kanepi is worth backing against Kerber. She has a terrific record against seeded players in Slams which suggests she raises her game at the biggest tournaments, and Kerber's hasn't played yet this season after contracting Covid. I'm also going to try a small acca of favourites and see if I can get a return after coming close yesterday.

10pts Kohlschreiber (vs. Cecchinato) x Sinner (vs. Sousa) x Golubic (vs. Zhang) @ 2.27 365

I really like your Mager to beat Rublev. One of my undercover plays that I am willing to risk big stakes. Rublev has only recently recovered from covid and is not physically in prime shape. Earlier today his price dashed out from 1/20 to 1/33 for no reason. Mager on the other hand has the ability to beat Rublev. I also like Dodin over Begu. Big outside play.

Going back to this 30 legged impossible bet. At the end of the day it wins 27 of 30 legs, relatively easily.

Ruud, Casper vs Molcan, Alex
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.19
Van Uytvanck, Alison vs Bucsa, Cristina
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.35WON
Bektas, Emina vs Samsonova, Liudmila
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.23WON
Alcaraz, Carlos vs Tabilo, Alejandro
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.24WON
Kukushkin, Mikhail vs Paul, Tommy
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.25WON
Bautista Agut, Roberto vs Travaglia, Stefano
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.10WON
Wang, Qiang vs Gauff, Cori
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.13
Hurkacz, Hubert vs Gerasimov, Egor
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.14WON
Giron, Marcos vs Nadal, Rafael
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.07WON
Tomljanovic, Ajla vs Badosa, Paula
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.27WON
Sorribes Tormo, Sara vs Flipkens, Kirsten
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.27WON
Barty, Ashleigh vs Tsurenko, Lesia
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.09WON
Khachanov, Karen vs Kudla, Denis
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.13WON
Osorio Serrano, Maria Camila vs Osaka, Naomi
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.13WON
Manchester City vs Chelsea FC
3-Way Odds (1X2) - 1WON1.58
Djere, Laslo vs Shapovalov, Denis
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.14WON
1. FC Cologne vs Bayern Munich
3-Way Odds (1X2) - 21.38WON
Munar Clar, Jaume Antoni vs Karatsev, Aslan
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.27WON
Azarenka, Victoria vs Udvardy, Panna
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.11WON
Krejcikova, Barbora vs Petkovic, Andrea
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.20WON
Bencic, Belinda vs Mladenovic, Kristina
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.18WON
Parry, Diane vs Kostyuk, Marta
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.22WON
Hanfmann, Yannick vs Kokkinakis, Thanasi
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.27
Gomez, Emilio vs Cilic, Marin
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.09WON
Kenin, Sofia vs Keys, Madison
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.57WON
Ivashka, Ilya vs Andujar, Pablo
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.15
Diyas, Zarina vs Rybakina, Elena
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.17WON
Ferro, Fiona vs Svitolina, Elina
2-Way Odds (12) - 21.25WON
Kontaveit, Anett vs Siniakova, Katerina
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.14WON
Rublev, Andrey vs Mager, Gianluca
2-Way Odds (12) - 11.04WON

So what I am trying to show is that it is more than possible to go close to 27/28 of 30 selections early rounds, and probably even better. But by the end of round 2 this is a done deal.

If you take 10, 3 legged bets and are getting around 8 to 10 on each one, and you win 7,  you win 5.6 units and lose 3 units (7x0.8 and -3, which is a reasonable 26% return). You win 8 of your 10 bets and you win 6.4 units and lose 2 for a 44% gain, with risk spread over 30 contestants. Even with 6 wins in 10 you are slightly ahead.

So this approach definitely works in the 1st 2 rounds of big draw tournaments, where there are lots of matches. Just don't duplicate a player in a bet, as it costs you 2 bets if they lose. 

Edited by neilovan

Marta Kostyuk to beat Sara Sorribes Tormo at 1.50 with William Hill

Belinda Bencic to beat Amanda Anisimova at 1.61 with Pinnacle

Taking two more favorites for tomorrow in Kostyuk and Bencic. It's not so much about backing them, though they were solid in the first round, but mainly against going against Sorribes Tormo and Anisimova, who were both rather lackluster in the first round. Anisimova should've been out were it not for Hartono's inexperience, while the match between Sorribes Tormo and Flipkens was just an eyesore.

8 minutes ago, CzechPunter said:

Marta Kostyuk to beat Sara Sorribes Tormo at 1.50 with William Hill

Belinda Bencic to beat Amanda Anisimova at 1.61 with Pinnacle

Taking two more favorites for tomorrow in Kostyuk and Bencic. It's not so much about backing them, though they were solid in the first round, but mainly against going against Sorribes Tormo and Anisimova, who were both rather lackluster in the first round. Anisimova should've been out were it not for Hartono's inexperience, while the match between Sorribes Tormo and Flipkens was just an eyesore.

I definitely agree with both those bets. Earlier in the season , Kostyk beat Radacanu  and it seems to have given her a lot of belief. Bencic been playing really well. Crazy, only 24 but is absolutely a fierce competitor.

Insane. Stephens wins 2X as many points in the 7th game, as she did in the WHOLE of the 1st set.

Surely winning fewer than 4 points in a grand slam set of tennis must be a record ?

Radacanu is playing badly and Stephens is even worse.

Edited by neilovan

Was looking at the weather forecast and it is going to be a lot hotter tomorrow than it was today. Up in the low 30's. Straaight away I would be thinking of betting against Alison van Uytvanck, who will struggle in the heat.

A few potential upsets.

I like Pedro Martinez to beat Garin.  Martinez, young, up and coming 24 year old from Spain. Solid player will be tough. He is heading in an upward path.

Jessica Pegula not playing particularly well. Lost two warm up matches and should have lost first round. Pera easily capable of causing an upset here.

van Uytvank (as mentioned above) not great in the heat and she will struggle tomorrow.

Just have a feeling that Maria Sakkari is going to grind, not in particularly good form and looked quite nervous in the 1st round.

Edited by neilovan

19 hours ago, Torque said:

A good day in the end. It didn't look like it was going to be when Dodin lost after failing to take any of three match points and with Baptiste looking like she was going to lose in straight sets. As unfortunate as it was that Dodin couldn't hold serve for a straight sets win against Begu from 40-15, the luck evened out when Garcia served to win in two sets and Baptiste broke before going on to win a breaker and then the final set. That was followed by impressive straight sets wins for both Cirstea and Kanepi which more than made up for Mager being completely outclassed and another acca that lost by one with Golubic not even winning a set in her match.

Edited by Torque

Nick Kyrgios (+2.5 sets) to beat Daniil Medvedev at 1.98 with Unibet

Looks like a huge price to me honestly. It's just a set we need here and Kyrgios looked in good shape against Broady given he was off for such a long time. His serve is devastating against everyone and Medvedev sometimes responds poorly to adversity, which is what he'll get plenty of from Nick. I'd have this at 1.57.

For today I'm just going to add to my positions on Medvedev and Barty in the outrights and also back one big outsider. Medvedev has drifted slightly and as I can't see a reason for it that's a trigger for me to go in again, and Barty is still a nice price bearing in mind how strongly she's started the tournament. 

The big outsider I'm going to back is Trevisan. On the face of it, she shouldn't stand much of a chance against Badosa and most likely that's how it'll turn out but for me her price is too big. Badosa started slowly against Tomljanovic in the last round before accelerating away and was broken on numerous occasions, and she was shocked in the second round of the US Open last year when a heavy favourite. I give Trevisan a better than ten percent chance of victory here.

20pts Medvedev to win ATP Australian Open @ 2.96 Betfair Exchange

15pts Barty to win WTA Australian Open @ 3.94 Betfair Exchange

15pts Trevisan to beat Badosa @ 10.80 Betfair Exchange