** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Gooner’s 250

JdsGooner90

On 12/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, JdsGooner90 said:

Of course discipline & patience are the two main factors in achieving a successful run

I honestly can't reconcile the concept of being disciplined and patient with being up to bet 17 already when you only started yesterday lunchtime! :)

It's fair to say I don't really get the appeal of this type of betting as it just feels like bullet dodging to me. I can see the logic of a genuinely slow and steady approach picking off what look like generous prices (e.g. some of the +3 handicap bets I see) but, at this pace, it just feels like a bit of fun seeing how long you have to wait for the absolutely inevitable loser to come along (especially given the obscure leagues being selected).

I've probably said similar before, in which case I apologise for the repetition, but I think your chances of success would increase significantly if you slowed the pace a little.

ps -  only fair to acknowledge you recently made the leaderboard with a previous thread, perhaps using shorter priced selections than in this one. And to add that I do wish you luck and hope you prove my pessimistic take wrong.

Edited by harry_rag
Added ps

31 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

I honestly can't reconcile the concept of being disciplined and patient with being up to bet 17 already when you only started yesterday lunchtime! :)

It's fair to say I don't really get the appeal of this type of betting as it just feels like bullet dodging to me. I can see the logic of a genuinely slow and steady approach picking off what look like generous prices (e.g. some of the +3 handicap bets I see) but, at this pace, it just feels like a bit of fun seeing how long you have to wait for the absolutely inevitable loser to come along (especially given the obscure leagues being selected).

I've probably said similar before, in which case I apologise for the repetition, but I think your chances of success would increase significantly if you slowed the pace a little.

I never said I was patient or disciplined, Its a bit of fun for me. If/when i get to say bet 50 then I will slow down. I don’t have the patience to bet only 1 or 2 times each day. These are not proper bets that require a lot of research. 

5 minutes ago, JdsGooner90 said:

I never said I was patient or disciplined, Its a bit of fun for me.

:ok makes sense in that context. Much as I've never seen the appeal I'm finding myself drawn to having a go. I do occasionally spot bets where I think "that would be a great bet for someone trying to rack up consecutive bets".

Best of luck and, perhaps more importantly, enjoy the ride!

1 minute ago, harry_rag said:

:ok makes sense in that context. Much as I've never seen the appeal I'm finding myself drawn to having a go. I do occasionally spot bets where I think "that would be a great bet for someone trying to rack up consecutive bets".

Give it a go! You might even enjoy it :ok 

2 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

Have a go Harry, you know you want to.  Show us how it's done ?

:lol ooh I never could resist a dare!

Ok, some queries while I think about it, perhaps ones that @Skittle could advise on. In terms of consecutive bets:

• Spread bets - I assume there is no reason why these couldn't be utilised, e.g. selling bookings late on when you think there's not time for another card etc. 
  • AH bets (including draw no bet) I assume a push would literally be treated as "no bet" and ignored for count purposes.
  • Dutching -  I assume this would be ok, say betting on 4-6 cards and >5.5 where both are odds against; 2 winners for a big profit or 1 for a small one =  a winning bet, both losing = a loser? (I quite often see scenarios where I think there's no way at least one of the bets won't win.

9 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

:lol ooh I never could resist a dare!

Ok, some queries while I think about it, perhaps ones that @Skittle could advise on. In terms of consecutive bets:

• Spread bets - I assume there is no reason why these couldn't be utilised, e.g. selling bookings late on when you think there's not time for another card etc. 
  • AH bets (including draw no bet) I assume a push would literally be treated as "no bet" and ignored for count purposes.
  • Dutching -  I assume this would be ok, say betting on 4-6 cards and >5.5 where both are odds against; 2 winners for a big profit or 1 for a small one =  a winning bet, both losing = a loser? (I quite often see scenarios where I think there's no way at least one of the bets won't win.

Will leave this for you to clarify Skittle :ok