** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Alex's low odds rolling bets thread

alexcaruso808

15 hours ago, harry_rag said:

Must admit I didn’t like the look of that one so didn’t put a request up. A few too many 1-0s in the recent form if I recall. Unfortunately I got chinned by a late match on Arsenal +3, just as I was thinking how well the handicap bets were doing. A gentle reminder that shorts odds are no magic bullet!

I know, that's the unfortunate thing about it. I think that short odds are generally more reliable in football, as opposed to something like horse racing. 

What do you look for in recent form in footy games? 

1 hour ago, alexcaruso808 said:

What do you look for in recent form in footy games? 

To be honest my approach to these bets is more art than science (or gut feel than maths), which is no doubt why I'm struggling to make a profit! If I follow someone else I generally try and get matched at one tick better than them and only take the same price if I particularly like the bet myself. For my own bets I just look at past results on soccerbase and get a feel for whether I like the game for >0.5 or a handicap bet. I also look at the price and see if it feels good, bad or indifferent. Sometimes I ask for a price and either get matched or don't, if it's a stronger bet I might take the offered price near to kick off,

Still at the stage of seeing how it goes really.

Re the reliability of short odds, I'm conscious that I've played quite a range of prices with a focus mainly on perceived value rather than just consecutive winning bets. Obviously, the higher the average odds of the bets the worse the strike rate is likely to be. Having had a quick look back at all the bets I've posted or followed since I started doing this, last night's loss was the first one I've encountered at odds of 1.03 or shorter, the overall record being 98 winners from 99 bets. That's 17-0 at 1.01, 40-0 at 1.02 and 41-1 at 1.03.

I'm not sure that's especially significant given a fairly small sample size at the odds, but I was just curious how bets at that end of the scale had performed.

On 4/4/2022 at 10:27 PM, alexcaruso808 said:

I've gone for Benfica vs Liverpool, surely there just has to be a least a single goal in this one.  

1181847016_Screenshot2022-04-04at22_26_58.png.e468359fec4a2f2788e4c58a29210d0a.png

New bank = £10. 29. I'm going to take a break from betting over Easter, will be back in a week and a bit. 

Thanks for your thoughts @harry_rag.  I'm sure there is some kind of angle to be found in these bets, it's just finding it! 

• 1 month later...

Laying the UK a safer bet? Surprised to see us as second favourites even if we've got a better tune and more likeable act than is usually the case. I noticed that we were shorter than Sweden in the outright market but longer for top 4, which I guess suggests it could be all or nothing on the night.

1 hour ago, harry_rag said:

Laying the UK a safer bet? Surprised to see us as second favourites even if we've got a better tune and more likeable act than is usually the case. I noticed that we were shorter than Sweden in the outright market but longer for top 4, which I guess suggests it could be all or nothing on the night.

Hmm, never thought of doing that.

Well, I'll leave it as is now - who knows who'll win?  I think UK will probably be in the top 3.  

I think Norway have to be the crowd favourite, they certainly have some of the most creative outfits!  

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, alexcaruso808 said:

next bet...

image.png.2ca5d7bd7ed0774440238d8cd481b3f4.png

Last night I sat up and watched the first and there wasn't much action and it ended up nil-nil. I went to bed thinking that I would be starting from scratch in the morning.  Thankfully the game ended up 1-2 and earned me a profit of 68p.

All profits are inclusive of Smarket's commission.

New bank = £14.50